Allergic to all legumes.

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Allergic to all legumes.

Postby dona1012 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:10 pm

How do I get enough protein if I can't eat legumes? Vegan protein shakes have legumes in them. :|
dona1012

Re: Allergic to all legumes.

Postby Ejeff » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:53 am

If you eat enough food, you will get enough protein. How do you know you are not getting enough protein now?

There is protein in oatmeal, potatoes, and even broccoli. Nuts have protein.

Just curious, how do you know you are allergic to all legumes? What happens when you eat them?

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby pundit999 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:17 am

dona1012 wrote:How do I get enough protein if I can't eat legumes? Vegan protein shakes have legumes in them. :|

Protein shakes are non food highly processed stuff that is bad for you. So don't do that.

If you cannot do legumes at all, it will be difficult to get more than 5-10% protein. But 5-10% is just fine per Dr McDougall.
Grans have 5-10 %, greens 50%. Every food has some.
So don't fret.
pundit999

Postby vegman » Wed May 19, 2021 8:32 am

You may be fine without legumes, just eating, without any particular attention to protein, any whole grains and/or tubers you wish, plus nonstarchy vegetables and fruits.

If you want to pay more attention to protein, you can use cronometer.com or other resources to find starchy staples with the highest protein as percent of calories. As I recall, buckwheat, quinoa and whole wheat are higher, and rice and potatoes are lower.

cronometer is also useful for entering meal plans and seeing how they meet recommended nutrient levels. Somewhere on this site Jeff Novick suggests some adjustments to the default recommened levels of nutrients.
vegman

Return to Health Issues