CAN THIS WOE HELP EPILEPSY?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

CAN THIS WOE HELP EPILEPSY?

Postby Lorydeeb » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:03 am

Hi everyone. Iv had epilepsy for 3 years and desperate to manage the symptoms : bad brain fog, nervous system issues, unsteadiness, constant split second memories and lack of sleep as well as other symptoms. That's on top of the side effects of the medication. Does anyone know if this woe can effect neurological conditions? There is no cure for epilepsy but can I manage at least some of the problems associated with it?

Anyone got epilepsy?
Lorydeeb

DR. BROOKE GOLDNER'S 6 WEEKS GREEN SMOOTHIE PLAN?

Postby Lorydeeb » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:24 am

Iv just listened to a podcast with Dr. Brooke Goldner who recommends 6 weeks of drinking green smoothies as a way to kick start getting lots of nutrients into a person with chronic disease who have been following the SAD.
I know from reading the posts here that smoothies are not recommended in general but what's the deal with regards a fast nutrition boost to blast the cells initially?
Lorydeeb

Re: DR. BROOKE GOLDNER'S 6 WEEKS GREEN SMOOTHIE PLAN?

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:50 pm

Lorydeeb wrote:Iv just listened to a podcast with Dr. Brooke Goldner who recommends 6 weeks of drinking green smoothies as a way to kick start getting lots of nutrients into a person with chronic disease who have been following the SAD.
I know from reading the posts here that smoothies are not recommended in general but what's the deal with regards a fast nutrition boost to blast the cells initially?

Dr Brooke Goldner has a great story. Powerful story of recovery with whole food plant based diet. Green smoothies did not hurt her. But hard to say without more evidence that they benefited her more than the diet. Other doctors have other but similar suggestions, whether a fist full of greens at every meal, or daily dozen, or GBOMBS, but evidence from clinical interventions by Dr Ornish, Dr Esselstyn, Mt Abu Open Heart Trial, Dr McDougall’s program, CHIP program, and many others are without such extra measures.

Green smoothies have a place in my menu, but as a cocktail replacement at parties, or as a milkshake replacement at a picnic on a hot summer day, not as everday thing. May also be useful for children and athletes who need to gain weight.

Goes against a couple of principles
- Minimally processed.
- More is not necessarily better.
- Don’t drink your calories.

The burden of proof is on Dr Goldner to provide evidence that smoothies provide benefit above and beyond than a basic whole foods plant based diet.
michaelswarm

Re: CAN THIS WOE HELP EPILEPSY?

Postby Gloria Tarlow » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:53 pm

My daughter is Autistic and has epilepsy. I have found that her weight does seem to affect her behaviour and the number of seizures she has. She take only Tegretol ( carbamazipine) to control her seizures. This week, I found some very interesting studies on brain inflammation as both a cause and result of seizures. There were suggestions of food allergies such as gluten being a cause as well as long-term, undiagnosed viruses. Also, research on the how the skull protects the brain with antibodies from its bone marrow. It does seem that inflammation does affect the brain in the same way as the rest of the body. Even though there is the Blood Brain Barrier, there are antibodies that do reach the brain that attack indiscriminately, as in autoimmune disorders. New science, but moving forward.
I don't recommend the keto-diet unless it is done medically supervised. There are short and long-term risks to you overall health. I do think that intermittent fasting may be helpful in my daughter's case. You do get some ketosis during fasting and is actually where the diet comes from. Keeping a person in a fasting state using food. I try to use nigjtime as the big hunk of our fasting and either eat an early supper or skip breakfast. Occasionally, both when our blood sugar is very stable. Let me know what you find. Gloria
Gloria Tarlow

Re: CAN THIS WOE HELP EPILEPSY?

Postby Susan5 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:57 pm

Gloria Tarlow wrote: This week, I found some very interesting studies on brain inflammation as both a cause and result of seizures. There were suggestions of food allergies such as gluten being a cause as well as long-term, undiagnosed viruses. Also, research on the how the skull protects the brain with antibodies from its bone marrow. It does seem that inflammation does affect the brain in the same way as the rest of the body. Even though there is the Blood Brain Barrier, there are antibodies that do reach the brain that attack indiscriminately, as in autoimmune disorders. New science, but moving forward.

Gloria,

Do you have any direct links to articles/information on this? Thanks.
~ The best thing I did was to break-up with food; it was an unhealthy relationship.
~ You can't let go while still trying to hold on.
~ Focus on less...less desire, less obsession, less holding on.
~ "Learn to care less about food."
Susan5

Return to Health Issues