Post menopausal hormone replacement

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Post menopausal hormone replacement

Postby hysteria2 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:17 pm

My estrogen and progesterone levels are quite low, since I am 75 years old and well past menopause. However, my PCP wants me on hormone replacement. My bone scan last year was normal and I do not appear to be in any danger of osteoporosis. I do not suffer from hot flashes or other menopausal symptoms. It seems like she is wanting me on hormone replacement merely to address my lab values. I would like an outside opinion as to whether hormone replacement is advisable in my situation. (I have no personal history of breast cancer but my mother had it.) I must confess I am really leery of using hormone replacement at this stage of my life.
hysteria2

Re: Post menopausal hormone replacement

Postby MINNIE » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:57 pm

Hello hysteria2,

No one here can give you specific medical advice, but I do have a comment.
I am a 74 year old female, and never took hormones during or after menopause.

I had no symptoms that would have made it appropriate or useful to take them.

I was fortunate that I was never pushed by my primary care doctor in one direction or the other. She recognized that she can give advice, and explain the pros and cons as she sees them, but it was up to me to make the decision. (I'll add that she was a family practice doctor, not a gynecologist, and had a more holistic view of women's health).

If I had felt pressured to take a drug that I was not convinced was necessary, I would have either changed doctors or at least gone to someone else for a second opinion.

As an adult, You have the ability to get informed about the risks/benefits. Then you have a right to decide what is in your best interests.

I can't tell anyone else what to do, but I can say I have no regrets about not taking HRT. I try to keep an open mind, and if I ever see a reason to change my mind I will. But so far that hasn't happened.

P.S.
If you haven't already, you can find Dr. McDougall's articles on this topic by searching in the Education section of this website).
MINNIE

Return to Health Issues