My cholesterol results are Godlike

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My cholesterol results are Godlike

Postby Vegan » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:03 am

Just got my cholesterol results and I have to say that you really can't have any better results and this is without any drugs ever. My LDL is 35 and HDL is 28. If that is not heart attack proof then nothing is. Can anyone beat my numbers? ;-)
Vegan

Re: My cholesterol results are Godlike

Postby Daydream » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:12 am

I'm laughing at your thread title! That's great, I'm happy for you.
Daydream

Postby Vegan » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:54 am

Daydream wrote:I'm laughing at your thread title! That's great, I'm happy for you.

Are you saying my thread title was a lie? ;) It has been said that if you have LDL 50-70, you're pretty much heart attack proof and my total cholesterol is in that range and HDL and LDL is almost 1:1 ratio. I really haven't seen anywhere these kind of numbers, I think it's quite rare, don't you?
Vegan

Postby Keepyerplantieson » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:15 pm

Wow! Incredible numbers indeed! I'm tempted to ask, are you sure you're alive?

Joking aside, well done, you! Obviously what you've been doing is working VERY well. Keep up the great work!
Keepyerplantieson

Postby Vegan » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:10 pm

If anyone wants to replicate my results it's easy. I follow McDougall diet with my own little twist, I eat 1/3 of your total calories from BEANS! Beans have lot's of soluble fiber that will remove excess cholesterol from your body. Every day I consume about 3000 calories and 1000 calories comes from black beans, kidney beans and from pinto beans. Results are absogoddamnfriggingguaranteed! ;-)
Vegan

Postby KillSwitch » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:47 am

Vegan wrote:If anyone wants to replicate my results it's easy. I follow McDougall diet with my own little twist, I eat 1/3 of your total calories from BEANS! Beans have lot's of soluble fiber that will remove excess cholesterol from your body. Every day I consume about 3000 calories and 1000 calories comes from black beans, kidney beans and from pinto beans. Results are absogoddamnfriggingguaranteed! ;-)

Dayum! :D Thanks for sharing Vegan. I also eat a lot of beans. I have never seen numbers that low. You must be 100% compliant. I would say I am 95% compliant and the lowest I got mine was 126 IIRC in 2013.

Was that all you had tested? I am interested in your FBG number and HBA1C if those things were tested also and you don't mind sharing.

How old are you and how much do you weigh if you don't mind sharing? How long have you been eating like this? Describe a typical meal for you in a day. You said you eat about 3000 calories per day.

Again, congrats. and thanks for sharing. I like when ppl post results like this bc it is very inspiring to others.
KillSwitch

Postby Vegan » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:15 am

@KillSwitch

My fasting blood glucose was 5.1 mmol/l (normal range 4.0-6.0) and B-HbA1c is 27 mmol/mol (normal range is 20-42). Keep in mind that these are European units since I live in Europe. I'm 38 and my weight is 183 lbs. I have been vegan for years before, then had a short while vegetarian and went back to full vegan about 6 months ago. I'm a really strict Spartan kind of guy, I usually eat three exact same meals every single day: black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, barley groats and white cabbage. Those are my 99% main calories sources every single day. I might some times add some vegetables and fruits.

The absolute key is to eat ton of soluble fiber from beans and barley every single day and do not add any oil. I guarantee if you follow this exact same thing you will have similar cholesterol levels. I don't have genetically low cholesterol or anything like that. Back when I ate meat and added oils to my diet I had cholesterol level of 282, this was in 2017.

There is no excuses, I'm 100% sure that this diet works for every single person out there, it's just a matter of following it every day and this is something only few can do, sadly.
Vegan

Postby KillSwitch » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:35 pm

Wow, absolutely incredible! Thank you for sharing. I am bookmarking this page for future reference.

What did your doctor have to say? LOL....I am sure he or she was astonished. :D
KillSwitch

Postby Vegan » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:41 pm

KillSwitch wrote:Wow, absolutely incredible! Thank you for sharing. I am bookmarking this page for future reference.

What did your doctor have to say? LOL....I am sure he or she was astonished. :D

I'm seeing my doctor on tuesday. I would guess that she thinks it's a miracle from God because doctors don't believe in diet having effects on your health. :lol:
Vegan

Postby KillSwitch » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:35 pm

There is no excuses, I'm 100% sure that this diet works for every single person out there, it's just a matter of following it every day and this is something only few can do, sadly.

I think this is so true. Some ppl will find it almost impossible tho to do what you are doing and do it long-term. You are very strict with no deviations. I read somewhere awhile back that even Dr. Esselstyln eats the reese's peanut butter cups on rare occasions, LOL!
KillSwitch

Postby Ejeff » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:32 am

After reading this I was interested in reviewing my cholesterol numbers. Perhaps others will find them interesting. I live in Canada so our measurements are different, but I found the conversion to change my results from mmol/L to mg/DL (I had to multiply by 38.67). Anyway these are my numbers:
Total cholesterol 138.83
HDL 56.07
LDL 64.97
Triglycerides 39.44

Fasting blood glucose 4.7 mmol/L

Hemoglobin A1C 4.7% (this was the only number I could find, not sure why it a %)

I think these numbers are quite good. I am 58 and weigh 105. I have followed the McDougall plan since December 2014, so almost 7 years. Prior to that was eating the usual SAD fatty diet. I’m not 100% compliant, I have oil sometimes when eating out. I would say I’m 95% compliant.

Very interesting that you consume 1/3 of calories from beans. I recently added more beans as well. Just curious, why are barley groats your main starch? You prefer the taste and texture over say brown rice? People don’t often talk about barley, I do enjoy it although don’t have it on hand always. I like the chewy texture of it.

Thanks
Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Vegan » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:44 am

Hi Erin,

You have some nice cholesterol levels too! I have some weird intolerance to all kinds of rice. Every time I eat rice I get back pain, knee pain and my muscle strength goes down in the gym. And every time I switch to eating barley, all the pains goes away and my muscle strength improves. Also I have read how Roman gladiators ate lot's of barley so I thought that was cool and I wanted to be like them. So I became barley man. :D
Vegan

Postby KillSwitch » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:54 pm

@Erin>>>>>

Fasting BG = 4.7 x 18 = 84.6

Your FBG is also excellent Erin. :D

Formula to calculate mg/dl from mmol/l: mg/dl = 18 × mmol/l

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

Your lipid numbers are excellent too Erin. I think I started PB in 2013 incorporating McDougall, Pritikin, and Fuhrman together. I, like yourself, am not 100% compliant (I would say 90-95 percent), but I have chosen a path for myself that is sustainable "for me" "not speaking for anyone else" for the remainder of my life. We all have to decide how much risk we are willing to accept.

I also eat a ton of beans but not as much as Vegan does, LOL.

What is your diet like Erin if you do not mind me asking?
Thanks for your post.
KillSwitch

Postby KillSwitch » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:56 pm

Vegan wrote: Also I have read how Roman gladiators ate lot's of barley so I thought that was cool and I wanted to be like them. So I became barley man. :D

LOL Vegan! I have never had or considered barley. Now, I think I may go out and try some.
KillSwitch

Postby Ejeff » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:55 pm

Thanks KillSwitch, I agree the key to success over the long term is each individual working the plan the best way to achieve their personal goals and long term consistency. As to my diet, I try to keep it quite simple. I tend to batch cook starches so they are ready in the fridge. I don’t eat breakfast very often as I’m just not that hungry in the morning so quite often it’s 2 larger meals. Lunch is usually a very big salad, with brown rice or other starch included in the bowl. I usually add roasted peppers, purple cabbage and sometimes corn. I make my own dressing with my favourite being tahini with white beans, balsamic, Dijon, lemon juice and salt blended in the nutribullet. I never get tired of this salad bowl. Dinner is either potatoes with broccoli or cauliflower. Or pasta. I make my own pasta sauce so it’s oil free and I also make cheese type sauce from potatoes and carrots. Lately I’ve tried to add more beans so I will just eat them plain as I’m preparing my meal. I do try to make sure to eat veggies with each meal sometimes I eat them as a preload, sometimes mixed into the pasta or other starch. I am a small boned shorter person, just 5’2”, but I eat a lot of food. That’s why I love this plan, I get to really enjoy food and not gain weight, seems like a miracle some days.

I also have a snack in the afternoon something baked that I’ve frozen like granola bars or oat banana cookies. I often have oats with berries as an evening snack. So perhaps I’m eating breakfast before bed. ;-)

I really don’t deny myself anything. We tend to make our own whole wheat bread and I will have toast with peanut butter and jam. Lately I’ve also been eating dates with peanut butter on top. On normal days I eat zero oil, sometimes when cooking for the family on holidays I use more fatty foods such as coconut milk. Mostly too much fat makes me feel bad so it’s rare.

How do you like to eat, what are your favourites?

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Next

Return to Health Issues