Leaky Gut

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Leaky Gut

Postby Rhondam » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:03 am

First, I love FOK! There are SO MANY of us who are dealing with leaky gut and unfortunately many healthy foods make it worse. Grains, legumes and nightshades. This is very frustrating when trying to eat a WFPB diet since it eliminates so many options. Do you have any recommendations? Also, are there any plans to create recipes for those of us who need to avoid these foods?
Rhondam

Re: Leaky Gut

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:46 pm

Leaky gut, also called gut disbiosis, is caused by poor gut microbiome, which adapts to your food and medication history. Animal foods, junk foods and medications cause leaky gut. Get these foods out of your diet. Whole plant foods heal leaky gut. When your gut allows foreign proteins into your blood stream, you will test sensitive to every food that you routinely eat. First heal your gut, which happens normally on whole food plant based diet. You should be able to eat 100% whole wheat bread, beans, tomatoes, etc, without problem.

This works for most people.

If you feel you want to avoid any particular food, the choices in the plant kingdom are broad, so just eat potatoes, sweet potatoes, plantains, buckwheat, or other starches, until you feel better.

Some people do have food allergies, and may need to explore an elimination diet.
michaelswarm

Re: Leaky Gut

Postby vegman » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:57 am

michaelswarm wrote:Leaky gut, also called gut disbiosis, is caused by poor gut microbiome, which adapts to your food and medication history. Animal foods, junk foods and medications cause leaky gut. Get these foods out of your diet. Whole plant foods heal leaky gut. When your gut allows foreign proteins into your blood stream, you will test sensitive to every food that you routinely eat. First heal your gut, which happens normally on whole food plant based diet. You should be able to eat 100% whole wheat bread, beans, tomatoes, etc, without problem.

This works for most people.

If you feel you want to avoid any particular food, the choices in the plant kingdom are broad, so just eat potatoes, sweet potatoes, plantains, buckwheat, or other starches, until you feel better.

Some people do have food allergies, and may need to explore an elimination diet.

I have been eating a whole food plant based diet for decades, during which time gluten sensitivity became apparent. It worsened during the past 10 years, when I have been consistently eating per Dr. McDougall's recommendations. I do not have leaky gut or general food sensitivity. I know of no way to reverse gluten sensitivity.
vegman

Return to Health Issues