Diabetes and Gastroperesis

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Diabetes and Gastroperesis

Postby ebony2021 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:59 pm

I am 61 and have been a Diabetic for 32 years. I've been insulin dependent since 2009. But before that I was on a high dosage of Metformin. When I began taking Metformin I had nausea, diarrhea bloating and all around stomach discomfort. I took the Metformin for several years. Even though I stopped a long time ago I continue to feel bloated, gassy and always full. And I vacillate between constipation and diarrhea frequently. I had a colonoscopy in January. he removed 2 polyps. And said everything looked fine otherwise. My gastroenterologist recommend that I take Miralax every day to completely void my bowels (as he believes this is why I feel full bloated and gassy all of the time). I refuse to do so because I don't want to become laxative dependent. And even the instructions on the Miralax bottle says to not take it for more than 7 days. I think between the Metformin and my poorly controlled diabetes that I have Gastroparesis. Now my Primary care Physician wants me to take Mounjaro. I am not willing to do that because it is known to cause Gastroparesis. I feel caught between a rock and a hard place. I've had some success eating the starch solution in terms of weight loss. But I never feel hungry, I don't feel hunger pangs at all because I always feel full and I don't think I eat enough so it's slowing down my progress. Dr. McDougall's suggestion that we eat when hungry is lost on me. Is there anyway to get rid of the bloating, fullness and gassiness and enjoy food once again? I have a lot of weight to lose (180 lbs) It's very frustrating and I have fallen off the starch solution wagon and gone back to the SAD way of eating a number of times because it feels hopeless.
ebony2021

Return to Health Issues