light headedness

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

light headedness

Postby liam13 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:11 pm

I have been struggling with lightheadedness and chest tightness for some 20 years now. I'm weighing in at 248 - BMI is 30.18 - ugh. I need to get serious about this plan. I've read most of McDougall's book and really like what I read, and really want those things for myself. Especially if it can get my health back. I am on 25 mg of toporol XL with BP running average 140/90. I want to use this board for check in and support. Let the games begin. Liam
liam13

Welcome to the board...

Postby Sunny » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:02 am

Nice to have you here. You can join the Saturday weigh-in on any Saturday you choose. It helps keep alot of us focused on our goal.
You mentioned lightheadedness in the subject, are you eating enough :?:
This isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle change so you do not have to restrict your caloric intake. If you are doing MWL, the results are quicker, no refined foods on that plan. Either way make sure you are eating enough and drinking enough water. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Re: light headedness

Postby Purdy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:21 pm

liam13 wrote:I have been struggling with lightheadedness and chest tightness for some 20 years now. I'm weighing in at 248 - BMI is 30.18 - ugh. I need to get serious about this plan. I've read most of McDougall's book and really like what I read, and really want those things for myself. Especially if it can get my health back. I am on 25 mg of toporol XL with BP running average 140/90. I want to use this board for check in and support. Let the games begin. Liam

Well Liam, good to hear you are beginning. The most important ingredient in your new way of eating is not food.
It is time. You sound like you are a bit older than some. You have lived a while and hopefully have gotten to know how you operate. Chances are you are not perfect in your life. Don't expect to suddenly become perfect overnight in this endevor. Just keep heading in the right direction despite infrequent or even frequent returns to a bit of your prior lifestyle.
The only way you'll fail is by giving up. This often occurs when you fail to achieve perfection. You may be the kind of person who can change overnight but you may also be the kind that takes steps to perfect your eating.
Don't give up. Count your achievements, not your missteps Begin to see your health return and know........know that with time you can easily become a very healthy eater.
I'd say you have a great chance to improve most of your vital signs. Weight, blood pressure etc.
Think in terms of many months, or better yet, where your stats will be this time next year. I'm no doctor, but I'd say if you were nearing 200 pounds or even 210 pounds, at 6' 4" this time next year you'd be seeing great improvments in your BP.

Very important is to gradually add in daily exercise. At least 4-5 days a week. Walking is gentle and easy in most locations.
If you don't feel like it, just go out and walk 100 yards. Then you can go home. Honestly, just say to yourself, I'll just walk 100 yards.
Of course, once you get out there, you'll do more.
Gradually build up your minutes per day. You can split it up AM and PM if time is tight.
Go easy in the beginning even if you can do more. Get excellent walking shoes. Go easy on your joints. Add a minute or so each week to your daily walk. It adds up quickly.
As the weeks and months go on, the eating, the walking all go together and suddenly you'll find yourself getting visable improvement.

Liam. It will work. Don't get caught up in the expectations of others or even of those you read about in the book. If you make the direction of your change the correct one, you will get results that will please you in the next 12 to 24 months.
Don't complicate it by making it a struggle or by setting goals that are too aggressive. As a person who is a bit older, look for and have faith in the gradual improvements in your body.
Many on these boards are caught up in much more rapid change.
Your physical problems are severe enough that you know this is about your life. Not only saving your life, but making it better every day.
Treat this like doing something else worthwhile in your life.
Imagine going to college to get a education.
How much time would you be willing to invest in that? 4 months? or 4 years?
View your dietary changes as a education for your body. Your degree is fitness and weight at perhaps 200 pounds or less.
Please give it the time it deserves. Even 4 years would not be too long.
I can virtually guarantee you 99% that if you take that outlook with your diet and exercise, that you will get that diploma.

Is your health and your future years of living worth that investment?
Liam. This is your life, not some dress rehearsal.

OK.......I wish you all the luck.

ps, I assume you are under a doctor's care regarding your BP and lightheadedness.
Purdy

lightheadedness

Postby liam13 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:12 am

thanks for the replies. I have been under the care of an MD for the BP and Lightheadedness. I have become curious about what we put into our bodies and how these choices can impact our health, and basic functioning. I work in a hospital, so see on a daily basis the cost of bad choices. But if a person has a medical conditon, how much impact can food and drink choices make? There's no genetic history in the family of high blood pressure, so for me I am sure it is a result of lifestyle choices. The lightheadedness does not seem to be tied to the bp readings, and often is relieved by aerobic activity. I will do the saturday check ins, think that is a good discipline for me to take on. Yesterday am I was 247 - weigh self at the gym every morning. Thanks again. LIAM
liam13

Postby erin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:34 am

Hi liam :),

my blood pressure is at the very low end of normal, usually 90/60 and i suffer from occassional episodes of lightheadedness. lightheadness is correlated with low blood pressure. my guess would be that your medication is making your bp too low at times. if you are going to be mcdougalling, your doctor will probably need to adjust your bp medication. hope you figure it all out, i know how disturbing it can be.

~erin

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-bl ... DSECTION=2
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
erin

Postby DK » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:43 pm

liam13 wrote: But if a person has a medical conditon, how much impact can food and drink choices make?

It seems like the first step would be to stop doing anything that causes or exacerbates the medical condition. The human body can do a great job of healing itself once the initial cause of the damage is removed. For some examples of this, check out the Star McDougallers:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html

Good luck, Liam. Just stick with the guidelines and you will get healthier. The lightheadedness is probably related to poor circulation. Aerobic activity probably gets your heart rate up enough to overcome this. McDougalling should help your circulation so that this problem goes away. You do want to monitor your blood pressure very closely for the first couple weeks. When you go 100% McDougall your blood pressure could drop very quickly in only a few days, and then your meds could pull it down to a dangerous level.
The biggest piece of advice I'd give on sticking with the program is to not let yourself get hungry, at least in the early weeks. Take the time to plan so that you always have healthy food available, and do not worry about how much you eat, as long as it's healthy. (Even if you have volume eating tendencies, work first on getting used to the new eating style, until it tastes as good or better than any other food you've eaten. You are much better off eating five or six or more baked potatoes and a huge salad than you are eating a pizza.)
DK

lightheadedness

Postby liam13 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:09 am

I also suspected it had to do with circulation. I've had a head CT, normal. I have gotten McDougall's book and will start reading it today. Finding willingness in a little short supply today though. Need to find a source of inspiration to keep close by that I can dip my cup into. LIAM
liam13

BP

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:49 am

Liam. The program works. A coworker who was on cholesterol and BP medicine came off of the medication with her doctor's help. Some BP medicine has to be reduced slowly because of the way it works. You need to have your blood pressure monitored. If you have the Program for the healthy heart book, please read the BP chapter, I think it is chapter 14. If you do not have it consider buying the e-book version. It is only $10 and is a PDF version. I bought it yesterday. Not as much fun as having the actual book but it has the advantage of your being able to search the book with the computer. There is also a newsletter article that talks about the danger of a low blood pressure if you are on medication to lower the blood pressure. The best advice is in the healthy heart book about this. Also let your Doc know about any reduction in BP. You can probably do this by phone.

Hold onto your seat, this is going to be a quick ride to better health.
Steve

Return to Health Issues