Italian Veggie Stew with Gnocchi

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Italian Veggie Stew with Gnocchi

Postby CarolSoprano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:01 am

I made this the other night for a potluck (it was the only thing I could eat lol) and everyone at the party LOVED it! It's so delicious and no one missed the meat because of the gnocchi.

1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups thinly shredded white cabbage (I used a bit more)
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (I parboiled them first)
1-1/2 cups fresh string beans, cut into 1" lengths
28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes (I put them into the blender for about 30 seconds)
1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
1 tsp Italian herb mix
1/2 tsp. dried basil
3 heaping cups cauliflower, cut into bit-sized pieces
1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
1/2 lb. frozen gnocchi, thawed (I find a whole lb. is too much gnocchi)
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Dry-saute onion, garlic and cabbage (adding a bit of veggie broth as needed) in dutch oven, covered, lifting lid to stir occasionally, about 10 minutes, until veggies are limp and beginning to turn brown.

Add potatoes, string beans, tomatoes, wine and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, then simmer, covered, until veggies are just tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cauliflower and zucchini and cook, covered, for another 10 to 15 minutes, until all the veggies are done but not overcooked.

In the meantime cook the gnocchi separately in a large pot until they are done (approximately 10 minutes - they will float to the top when they're ready). When done, drain and gently stir into the stew. Season to taste with salt & pepper and stir in the parsley. The stew should have a thick, moist base but not be too soupy. If stew is too thick add a little veggie broth or water.

If time allows let stew stand off the heat for an hour or two, then heat through before serving.

Enjoy! :)

By the way, this recipe (with modifications to make it McDougall-friendly) came out of a cookbook called "Vegetarian Soups for All Occasions" by Nava Atlas, which I use a lot. It's wonderful!
"You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection." - the Buddha

Since February 15, 2010...
CarolSoprano

Re: Italian Veggie Stew with Gnocchi

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:48 am

CarolSoprano wrote:1/2 lb. frozen gnocchi, thawed

You were able to find gnocchi made with whole wheat flour?

I usually make my own because all I could find in the stores were made with white flour and *many* had either added fat, dairy (as casein) or even cheese, even if the label called it potato gnocchi.
VeggieSue

Postby CarolSoprano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 am

Sue, I don't think this particular gnocchi had whole wheat flour. :(

The ingredients are durum flour (I would assume white), water, idaho potato flakes and sea salt - and corn meal which was dusted on the outside. No casein, other milk products or oils. I didn't eat too much of the gnocchi (probably about 4 or 5) and a little goes a long way. In the future I will try to find the gnocchi at our health food store or, like you, make my own.

Thanks for the clarification ... :-D

Carol
"You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection." - the Buddha

CarolSoprano

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:16 pm

that sounds good and glad others enjoyed it. If anyone has seen no oil added, whole wheat gnocchi let me know. I never have.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby CarolSoprano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Here's a whole wheat/sweet potato gnocchi that has no oils (it has a few ingredients like "natural flavorings" that I'm not crazy about, though).

http://www.amazon.com/Gia-Russa-Gnocchi ... B001E5E006

Here's the nutritional info:

http://www.netgrocer.com/pd/Netgrocer_c ... 9677/2D462

I might buy a case (which is 6 lbs.) and I'll let you know how they are! :)

CarolSoprano

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:39 pm

wow never have seen that. They use sweet potatoes as the potato too. I use to love those things with pasta sauce.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby CarolSoprano » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Faith in DC wrote:wow never have seen that. They use sweet potatoes as the potato too. I use to love those things with pasta sauce.

Some of the comments on the Amazon website said that the gnocchi tasted just the same as the regular potato ones. I just ordered a case and I'll let you know how they are! I'm excited... :-D

CarolSoprano

Postby kirstykay » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Carol,
Thanks for posting this!!! I'm going to try it this week for dinner. I think my family will love it.
Kirsty
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby momhanks » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:23 pm

Question for VeggieSue on making gnocchi. Do you use 100% whole wheat? Do you use egg? The recipe I found uses potatoes and half w.w. flour. What recipe do you use? Thanks for the info.
momhanks

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:00 am

momhanks wrote:Do you use 100% whole wheat?

When I have it, I use the white whole wheat because it has less of a heavy wheat taste than regular whole wheat. It's King Arthur brand and is 100% whole wheat.

Do you use egg?

Every time I tried to make gnocchi with just the flour and taters, whether the potatoes were boiled or baked, whether I used AP, bread, or whole wheat flour, about half of them always fell apart as soon as they hit the water. I read one recipe that said to use eggs so I started using EnerG Egg Replacer and now they all pretty much stay in shape for the cooking process. People told me I just wasn't pressing them hard enough together. Maybe so, because I have the same problem with any vegan meatballs I tried to make in the past, too.

The recipe I found uses potatoes and half w.w. flour. What recipe do you use?

Same proportions of taters to flour, works out to about 1 1/2 pounds of potatoes to 1 cup of flour. For this amount I make up egg replacer to equal 2 eggs. Just add a bit more flour if it feels too wet when molding into shape.

I've collected loads of recipes that add all kinds of things, like savory Italian spices, sweetened with nutmeg or cinnamon for more of a dessert dish, or veggies like cooked spinach or broccoli, but I prefer mine plain, or maybe with a quarter cup of nutritional yeast for a bit of a cheesy flavoring. Can't go wrong with the classics. :)
VeggieSue

Postby heliopolister » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Sounds great!!!
heliopolister

Postby boardn10 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Lots og gniocchi is made from potatoes and egg. I would need to find a gluten free version. :( :( :(
boardn10

Postby kirstykay » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Carol,
I just made this and OMGosh!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's amazingly good!! Thanks for posting!
Kirsty
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby CarolSoprano » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:27 pm

Kirsty, you're so welcome! I made it yesterday (with whole wheat/sweet potato gnocchi) and it was outstanding. And so healthy - there are loads of veggies and no fat! Yippee! :)

CarolSoprano

Postby healthyvegan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:17 pm

I found the Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Gnocchi at World Market tonight, probably means all the World Markets carry it!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning