Recipe: Easy Bean Gravy

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Recipe: Easy Bean Gravy

Postby vgnwitch » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:45 pm

This delicious brown gravy began as an experiment. I was looking for a quick way to use up a small amount of pinto beans leftover from a batch I cooked up on Saturday. It's just about the easiest gravy I've ever made!

In a small pot, mash a cup of pinto beans very well. Add 1 generous teaspoon tomato paste [I used garlic tomato paste], 1/2 teaspoon onion powder and garlic powder, a pinch of salt, a grinding of pepper, and about 1/2 cup water [I didn't actually measure the water, just dumped some in]. Stir well. Gravy should be fairly thick. Warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning. Eat! Yield: Enough gravy for 4 baked potatoes.

Variation: For country-style gravy, use white beans, omit the tomato paste [maybe use some roasted garlic instead], and add a bit of leaf sage. Serve over biscuits.
Last edited by vgnwitch on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Re: Recipe: Easy Bean Gravy

Postby Jan Tz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:41 pm

I've made something similar to this with chickpeas. Yummy. I will try your recipe the next time we have baked potatoes for dinner.
Jan Tz

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Biscuits? Do you have a recipe for biscuits that has no fat in it?
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby vgnwitch » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:55 pm

I do have a recipe for fat-free biscuits, but I will have to wait until morning to post it. The overhead light in my dining room is burned out and I can't see the recipe in the dark. LOL
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Fat-free Drop Biscuits

Postby vgnwitch » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:36 am

This recipe makes a nice light and fluffy biscuit. It comes from The (Almost) No Fat Cookbook: Everyday Vegetarian Recipes by Bryanna Clark Grogan.

Drop Biscuits

Preheat oven to 400F/200C.

Mix together in a medium bowl:
2 cups flour [I usually use half AP and half WW]
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Stir in with a fork:
1 1/4 cups reduced-fat soymilk [or other low-fat, non-dairy milk] mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Stir quickly to moisten the dry ingredients. Drop the mixture by large spoonfuls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes. Serve immediately. Makes about 12 -14 biscuits.

Variation: For Herb Biscuits, add 1/8-1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil, 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, and 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano, thyme or marjoram.
vgnwitch

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:49 am

Thank you! I'll get The Meat Eater on these for lunch. He will be delighted!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby nonyabizz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:33 am

Sweet! Do you think fat free soy milk will work?
Peace:)

Tom
nonyabizz

Postby catherine1305 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Oh this sounds wonderful thank you thank you

:D :cool: :P
Cathy
Start March 2007

catherine1305

Postby vgnwitch » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:31 pm

nonyabizz wrote:Sweet! Do you think fat free soy milk will work?

I don't see why not. I dilute my soymilk with water to lower the fat content and it works fine in baking recipes.
vgnwitch

Postby veggiegal » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Oh boy that looks great! I have tried a few packaged lower fat vegan gravies and have not liked any of them.

thanks for posting this

Kim
veggiegal

Postby StarwoodHiker » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:35 pm

removed by author
Last edited by StarwoodHiker on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarwoodHiker

Postby StarwoodHiker » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:37 pm

vgnwitch wrote:This delicious brown gravy began as an experiment. I was looking for a quick way to use up a small amount of pinto beans leftover from a batch I cooked up on Saturday. It's just about the easiest gravy I've ever made!

In a small pot, mash a cup of pinto beans very well. Add 1 generous teaspoon tomato paste [I used garlic tomato paste], 1/2 teaspoon onion powder and garlic powder, a pinch of salt, a grinding of pepper, and about 1/2 cup water [I didn't actually measure the water, just dumped some in]. Stir well. Gravy should be fairly thick. Warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning. Eat! Yield: Enough gravy for 4 baked potatoes.

Variation: For country-style gravy, use white beans, omit the tomato paste [maybe use some roasted garlic instead], and add a bit of leaf sage. Serve over biscuits.

Thank you for the recipe. I grew up on "biscuits and gravy" in the morning so anything that comes close is wonderful for me. I was at a vegan gathering once where they made incredible white gravy out of raw cashews. I'll have to look for that recipe to share if anyone wants it...thanks again, John
StarwoodHiker

Postby veggiegal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:24 am

John,

I usually try and use Yves meatless chicken strips because they are the lowest fat but in a pinch I might use the Morning Star Chik'n Stips because I don't have to go to a health store to buy those but they are a bit higher in fat. With all the stuff mixed in it breaks down the servings a bit but the fat can also depend on what type of vegan mayo you use too. The only thing I hate about imitation meats is they usually have yeast extract as do both of those brands do. As you probably know yeast extract is a close cousin of MSG so I don't make these super often. These are super good though YUM!

Your right building and keeping a site going is a lot of work, thanks for noticing.

Kim
veggiegal

Postby Marta » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:48 am

Last edited by Marta on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marta

Postby healthyvegan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:42 pm

wow, biscuits and gravy! Glad I clicked on this post!!! Going to make this ASAP! I failed at fat free biscuits last time I attempted, I think my flour was just bad. Here goes again. Will try to remember to take pics, too. That gravy sounds like fun!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning