Black Bean Brownies

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Black Bean Brownies

Postby shell1226 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:54 am

My wife likes to have tea and dessert at the end of the day. I don't always have it, but I do like to have something around that I can have if I choose to. I still look at these as a treat due to the agave, but they are certainly a healthier option than most other desserts.

I made black bean brownies last night that came out great. They are not super sweet, so you may need to add more sweetner to your liking. We are so happy with the way these turned out. I'm going to make them again for my wife with some walnuts on half of them, since I am avoiding nuts because of my heart disease.

1 can black beans
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 C agave syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 C cocoa
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oats
2 TBSP flour (I used a gluten free mix)

Preheat oven to 350F. Put all ingredients except oats in the food processor and procees until smooth. Dump process ingredients into a bowl and mix in oats and flour. Pour into an 8x8 baking dish that has either been sprayed with baking spray or line with parchment paper. You may not need to do this step if you have good, non-stick bakewear (I do not, my baking dish is glass). Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm to the touch.
Rachelle

shell1226

Re: Black Bean Brownies

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:36 am

Thanks for the recipe. :)

I think they will fit into my Gluten-Free eating plan.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Nettie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Are the beans drained and rinsed, or used right out of the can?

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby shell1226 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Drained and rinsed.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:47 pm

I have tried two different recipes for black bean brownies, and they both had an unpleasantly mealy quality rather than a fudgy or cakey quality. What are these like?
Vanilla Orchid

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 pm

You can substitute one can of 100% Pumpkin for the black beans if you don't like the texture...the rest of the recipe stays the same.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby shell1226 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:I have tried two different recipes for black bean brownies, and they both had an unpleasantly mealy quality rather than a fudgy or cakey quality. What are these like?

I didn't find them mealy at all. The first time I tried it was with less oats, but it tasted very beany. I upped the oats and I like it much, much better.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby shell1226 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:38 pm

kirstykay wrote:You can substitute one can of 100% Pumpkin for the black beans if you don't like the texture...the rest of the recipe stays the same.

That sounds yummy. I'll have to try it...I love pumpkin.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby dstewart » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:32 pm

I have to try this. Is this cakey, chewy, fudgy, or what in texture?

I made Chef AJ's black bean brownies on Friday. I used agave and maple (I ran out of agave, so it was 1 cup agave, 1/2 cup maple syrup). I used too much salt I think. But that aside, they were fantastic!

I cooked them in the Baker's Edge all-edges brownie pan, which worked perfectly to produce a texture that was a nice cross of chewy and cakey. There was absolutely no mealiness to the texture. I was amazed that there was no way at all to tell that it was anything but a conventional brownie--as if it had been made with flour, eggs, and oil. I think the reason it has such excellent structure is the protein of the beans.
dstewart

Postby Kiki » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:36 pm

I'll have to remember this thread for my next big chocolate craving. The day before you posted this thread, Shell, I made the black bean brownies in the Happy Herbivore cookbook. So disappointing.
Kiki

Postby shell1226 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:24 am

dstewart wrote:I have to try this. Is this cakey, chewy, fudgy, or what in texture?

I made Chef AJ's black bean brownies on Friday. I used agave and maple (I ran out of agave, so it was 1 cup agave, 1/2 cup maple syrup). I used too much salt I think. But that aside, they were fantastic!

I cooked them in the Baker's Edge all-edges brownie pan, which worked perfectly to produce a texture that was a nice cross of chewy and cakey. There was absolutely no mealiness to the texture. I was amazed that there was no way at all to tell that it was anything but a conventional brownie--as if it had been made with flour, eggs, and oil. I think the reason it has such excellent structure is the protein of the beans.

I didn't think they were mealy at all. I found them to be a bit chewy, but I like my brownies that way. My wife liked them so much that she has asked me to make them several times already. I promised her I would add some walnuts to the next batch and it can be all hers!
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby shell1226 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:27 am

Kiki wrote:I'll have to remember this thread for my next big chocolate craving. The day before you posted this thread, Shell, I made the black bean brownies in the Happy Herbivore cookbook. So disappointing.

Hi Kiki,
The Happy Herbivore recipe was what I tried first. Not a hit. We didn't really care for them at all, but I was inspired to play with the recipe and come up with something that we enjoyed. This was the result of that.

I still treat it like the treat that it is because of the sweetener, but at least I don't feel guilty when I enjoy it. I feel really good about making my wife a good, healthy treat to enjoy.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Yes, I also tried the Happy Herbivore recipe, and I didn't like it. I don't recall where I got the other recipe.

I have made the brownies in the McDougall Newsletter that call for a package of Dr. Oetker's chocolate cake mix and a can of pumpkin, and they were better--cake like in texture. But much more like cake than brownies.

I tried using prueed prunes also and that was my favorite. I like my brownies fudgy.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Mary McDougall also posted a recipe for black bean brownies. They were the first ones I ever tried, and my whole family loves them. Problem is, so do I and that leads to trouble. I only make them now for very special occaisions. But they are very good!

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/jul/recipes.htm
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby toadfood » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks for posting the link to that newsletter, kirstykay. The black bean brownies sound way too dangerous for me to have in the house, but I like the sound of that Mexican lasagna!

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning