Changing Doctors?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Changing Doctors?

Postby stoumi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 am

While I haven't made a final decision yet, I am going to start looking for another doctor. I have been with my current doctor since changing jobs in 2005. I would like to think he knows me, but chances are I am just another number and he "knows" me only by what he reads on his chart.

After my visit yesterday to go go over and compare blood results, I did not get that warm and fuzzy feeling from him when I walked out of the office. After posting that information here and discussing it, it might be to my advantage to see if there are other doctors who might share a different opinion.

Are there online resources to read up on physicians before you go and change? Not sure what all I want out of doctor now. I probably know more of what I don't want, but I figure this is a good time to start looking.
stoumi

Re: Changing Doctors?

Postby serenity » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Here are some suggestions from Dr. McD on choosing a doctor.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... doctor.htm
serenity

Postby stoumi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Ah, more newsletters. Thank you much...I am reading it now.

*edit* ..and wouldn't you know it, one newsletter leads to another. LOL. Still reading.
stoumi

Postby napagirl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Good luck with your search, I am currently in the middle of one too.
If you do find someone you like, would you share the info?
I think our online referral link needs a whole lot more listings. Hopefully it's not because there just aren't any supportive primary care physicians out there. :|
I live in the Bay Area and only have referrals of who NOT to see.
The search continues....
napagirl

Postby stoumi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:33 pm

So far I have not had much luck, while I have been able to find a list of physicians that accept my insurance, finding further information is much slower. The links I read had some good information. Now after reading 2 of Dr. McDougall's newsletters, October, 2005 (How to Choose a Doctor and August, 2005 (Annual Physical Exam), I might reconsider. For the time being, I am looking and see if I can get a list together and see where it goes.
stoumi

Postby soliver » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:43 pm

If you have the time and inclination to do this, why not call each doctor on the list and find out if s/he is well-versed in plant-based nutrition. It might be a bit of a pain as you'd have to leave messages, but you never know who is out there that will be on your side.
soliver

Return to The Lounge