Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page

Postby f1jim » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:20 am

I think you have it right. If you were in the peak of health and you were modifying your diet to preserve that health then any steps you made would be fine but if you are already suffering the effects of chronic disease you do move much closer to all or nothing in terms of what it takes to stop and reverse the course of your condition(s). Many will tell you that anything you do is the right thing and that is true but it's not the complete picture. You are asking your body to reverse possibly lifelong assaults to it and small steps generally won't accomplish that.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby fulenn » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:50 am

f1jim wrote:I think you have it right. If you were in the peak of health and you were modifying your diet to preserve that health then any steps you made would be fine but if you are already suffering the effects of chronic disease you do move much closer to all or nothing in terms of what it takes to stop and reverse the course of your condition(s). Many will tell you that anything you do is the right thing and that is true but it's not the complete picture. You are asking your body to reverse possibly lifelong assaults to it and small steps generally won't accomplish that.
f1jim

That was very well said, Jim. Thanks! I've got to do it all the way--I feel like I am in a race and this is my last chance to get to the end on my feet. Don't know how true that it, but I feel a sense of urgency.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby f1jim » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:58 am

Me too!!!!!
All we have is time and who knows how much of that we have? Some are fortunate some are not. Given my families genetic propensities I am on borrowed time already. I am fortunate I got this message before becoming just another sad statistic and was given a fighting chance.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby fulenn » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:10 pm

The purple ruffled kale that I bought yesterday looks so good that I wanted people to see it:

Image Image Image

The first picture is before cooking, the second is putting on top of green kale and collards that have already cooked some, and the third is all cooking together. I love how it keeps its color! My chopped veggies are going to look and taste great on top of it.

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby Evi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:24 pm

i have a friend whos has MS - so I follow your journal with interest and at some point i may introduce him on your journal to take some ideas and motivation! Thank's for sharing!
Please keep on!
Evi

Postby Frieda » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:55 pm

f1jim wrote:I think you have it right. If you were in the peak of health and you were modifying your diet to preserve that health then any steps you made would be fine but if you are already suffering the effects of chronic disease you do move much closer to all or nothing in terms of what it takes to stop and reverse the course of your condition(s). Many will tell you that anything you do is the right thing and that is true but it's not the complete picture. You are asking your body to reverse possibly lifelong assaults to it and small steps generally won't accomplish that.
f1jim

Yup. I was telling someone today about my lifestyle changes, including this way of eating and he asked me if I planned on cheating at all. I told him I've been cheating for nearly 50 years, so I've got a lot to make up for before I start even thinking about cheating again.
Frieda

Postby Rosey » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:49 am

That Kale is beautiful. Looks to pretty to eat. SMILE.
Rosey

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:13 am

fulenn wrote:Debi, I went and looked at your website today. Love it! I like the part under "Fake Foods" where you refer to fake foods as "...a bunch of toxic chemicals thrown together...". So true. I have always referred to diet sodas as "carbonated chemical water."

Thank you. :) This has truly been a journey worth writing about for me.

fulenn wrote:...but I am pretty sure that this diet to treat MS is all or nothing. I just want to be sure that people who hear me bemoaning poor choices that only happen occasionally understand that I am dealing with a specific creature here and with some unforgiving symptoms.

I am in this same realm. :) It is my life, so for me... it is ALL. I tried living somewhere in between for several months and my body simply did not heal. It maintained, but it did not heal. It was only when I really pushed and gave it my all... and got really strict... that things really began to change. I would never have known what might happen if I didn't try and I would still be maintaining disease rather than healing disease.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby fulenn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:56 pm

I am on my iPhone, so won't say much, but thanks for the visits to my journal and the thought-provoking comments!

I am eating well and making good food choices. Everyone on this end is being supportive and making grocery store runs so my children can have theit favorite McDougall foods! They talked my family into buying fresh pineapples, watermelon, and bing cherries today; they are very happy now.

I am having a lot more energy now and a lot less dizziness.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby lmggallagher » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Redundant post, sorry?
Last edited by lmggallagher on Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lmggallagher

Postby lmggallagher » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Fulenn -

I have long been a fan of your posts here, now I am so glad you are posting about your progress with tamping down the MS with this diet. I too have a friend that I would like to have try this program in hopes that it will improve her symptoms. It is so fantastic to see your major accomplishments already. I am particularly thrilled to see that your able to do more walking, that is so HUGE!

I don't have MS I have fibromyalgia, but it wasn't long on this diet that I also started to be able to walk some for exercise. I was so thrilled, but it's hard for my completely healthy friends to understand that walking a mile was that big of a deal. Before fibro I used to do 4 or 5 a day, so I get what they are comparing to, but ...

Oh my gosh and the naps, I was an afternoon nap taker as well and still have to do that on occasion. Now I have so much more energy and I am sleeping better too! I just was thrilled to see that your having this major change in your life too. Gee, who doesn't benefit with more time in the day!!!!

So, I just wanted you to know that your posts are wonderfully encouraging, not only with the people with MS here who are sharing with you but also those of us that relate to the significance of your improvements. And beyond that people who may well be enticed by your success to help in alleviating their own MS symptoms.

Thanks so much for doing this - Michelle

lmggallagher

Postby fulenn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Just checking in from Estes Park--I grew up in Colorado but really feel like a tourist on this strip. There is a huge fire near Ft. Collins and I watched the smoke plume on the way in this morning. Spent the morning looking at llamas and will hopefully be choosing a trail and camping spot soon.

Food is going well and my energy continues to prpve. I definitely sleeping better the last couple of nights.

All of my cravings are gone now--yea!!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Evi wrote:i have a friend whos has MS - so I follow your journal with interest and at some point i may introduce him on your journal to take some ideas and motivation! Thank's for sharing!
Please keep on!

Hi, Evi! I hope your friend decides to try this way of eating. It has only been several days for me, but the energy alone would be worth it for me.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Frieda wrote:Yup. I was telling someone today about my lifestyle changes, including this way of eating and he asked me if I planned on cheating at all. I told him I've been cheating for nearly 50 years, so I've got a lot to make up for before I start even thinking about cheating again.

I love this!
Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 pm

lmggallagher wrote:Fulenn -

I have long been a fan of your posts here, now I am so glad you are posting about your progress with tamping down the MS with this diet. I too have a friend that I would like to have try this program in hopes that it will improve her symptoms. It is so fantastic to see your major accomplishments already. I am particularly thrilled to see that your able to do more walking, that is so HUGE!

I don't have MS I have fibromyalgia, but it wasn't long on this diet that I also started to be able to walk some for exercise. I was so thrilled, but it's hard for my completely healthy friends to understand that walking a mile was that big of a deal. Before fibro I used to do 4 or 5 a day, so I get what they are comparing to, but ...

Oh my gosh and the naps, I was an afternoon nap taker as well and still have to do that on occasion. Now I have so much more energy and I am sleeping better too! I just was thrilled to see that your having this major change in your life too. Gee, who doesn't benefit with more time in the day!!!!

So, I just wanted you to know that your posts are wonderfully encouraging, not only with the people with MS here who are sharing with you but also those of us that relate to the significance of your improvements. And beyond that people who may well be enticed by your success to help in alleviating their own MS symptoms.

Thanks so much for doing this - Michelle

Michelle, thank you so much for your post! It is amazing how many different illnesses are helped by eating like Dr. McDougall suggests. Your story is inspiring. :) I was a little nervous about posting my story, especially as it is occurring, but your post was just what I needed. I hoped that someone would see this and it would encourage them to try it, too. I read a lot where people say that good eating worked for them, but then didn't see a lot of details. Because this is my body, details are important to me. Maybe they will be to someone else.

I posted earlier today that I am doing better. So far I have more energy, am taking less naps or shorter ones when I do, my cravings have gone away, I am walking more, and today I noticed that I am less heat-sensitive, of course, I am in the mountains right now, so maybe the altitude is helping. It was still almost 100 F today, so who knows. I lasted almost 6 hours vs. the 15 or so minutes about 2 weeks ago at home (sea level). I have slept more soundly the past few nights, but I'll keep commenting on that.

My food has been brown rice topped with bean and kale soup, lots of fresh veggies and fruit including bell peppers, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, bing cherries, fresh pineapple, watermelon, collard greens, mushrooms, carrots, radishes, butternut squash, and whole wheat pasta once. I am only drinking water and had one sip of lemonade.

Fulenn

fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals