A Date w/Disaster: The Pleasure Trap of Whole Natural Foods

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

A Date w/Disaster: The Pleasure Trap of Whole Natural Foods

Postby JeffN » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:34 am

Have you ever been caught up in "the pleasure trap" of whole natural foods?

If so, find out why & how to avoid "a date with disaster."

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jeff-nov ... 8865496819

In Health
Jeff

A Date With Disaster: The Pleasure Trap of Whole Natural Foods
Jeff Novick, MS, RD

Healthy foods are healthy foods.

Sounds silly, but it is amazing how much is often promoted as being healthy when it isn't—and how many terms are associated with health that may or may not be healthy at all.

For instance, we often hear words such as "whole," "natural," "plant," "unprocessed," etc., in relation to the health aspects of a food. Foods, recipes and products are frequently promoted as being healthy and often solely based on these descriptions.

However, these terms, in and of themselves, are not always synonymous with health and, in and of themselves, have no real health meaning. Whole foods can be healthy or unhealthy. Same with foods that are labeled “natural,” “vegan” and/or “unprocessed.” You can actually consume a diet that is unhealthy, yet it is made up of mainly whole, plant, natural and unprocessed foods.

In fact, I just analyzed a recipe that was made from 100% whole, unprocessed foods; but it was 40% saturated fat and 26% added sugars. It may have been whole, natural, plant and unprocessed, but I wouldn't touch it.

Yet, at the same time, there are many "processed" foods that are extremely healthy. Part of the confusion over this issue has to do with understanding exactly what a processed food is (or isn't) and the impact of processing on food. Some processing actually increases the health value of a food, while some processing decreases the health value of a food. So, while this is an important issue in and of itself, we will save this topic for a separate article on another day. :)

In the meantime, it is important to move beyond terms such as "whole," "natural," "vegan" and/or "unprocessed" as the defining criteria of what is healthy. In and of themselves, these terms have no real "health" meaning. So, while a healthy diet tends to be one that includes more foods that are whole, plant, natural and unprocessed, these, in and of themselves, do not define what is healthy.

What really matters most are the numbers, and the numbers don't lie.

Americans are sick and fat mostly from consuming excess calories, excess added sugars/sweeteners, excess added salt, excess saturated fat, excess refined grains/carbohydrates and excess cholesterol. Not just calories, salt, sugar, saturated fat, refined grains and cholesterol, but the amount and, as you will see, especially the concentration.

This is especially an important issue for those of us who find ourselves caught up in "the pleasure trap.” We may find that we still have problems with some whole, natural, plant foods, especially in regard to fat and sugar. Salt is not really an issue in regard to whole natural plant foods, as it does not show up anywhere in any whole, natural, plant food in a concentrated amount. Neither does cholesterol. But, fat and sugar do.

So, lets take a closer look at those two and see why they can be a problem.

In regard to "the pleasure trap" and to food addictions, no substance is 100% addictive. Not fat, sugar, or even alcohol, heroin or cocaine. In fact, only about 24% of people who try heroin become addicted.

In addition, the exact same molecules (glucose, fructose, etc.) that make up "sugars" in concentrated refined sugars, are the same exact molecules found in many "whole, natural, unprocessed, plant" foods such as corn, beets and fruits. So, the questions is, why do they seem addictive when we consume them in the form of table sugar or honey but not in the form of fruit or corn?

The answer has to do with concentration. Same as with cocaine. Coca leaves are not very addictive. Cocaine, a more concentrated form, has a much higher potential for addiction. Crack, a much more concentrated form, is much more highly addictive.

Let's look at sugar.
(The same example will also hold true for fat.)

Sugars that occur in most foods (fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, whole grains, etc.) are not very concentrated as they come in a package that is high in water and fiber and full or vitamins and minerals. Rarely do these foods ever cause anyone to feel as though they are addicted. Few, if any, would say they can't stop eating and/or are addicted to beets, corn or even fruit.

But, when we extract and concentrate the sugars in the form of table sugar or we use other refined sugars, such as brown sugar or turbinado sugar, or even when we use naturally occurring sweeteners such as honey and maple syrup (which are equally concentrated in sugar even though they are "natural" and "unprocessed"), suddenly we find many people feeling they are addicted to these foods and getting caught in "the pleasure trap” from them.

So, the real issue is not sugar, or whether the sugar is "whole," "natural," "plant" or "unprocessed," but the concentration of the sugar. Again, concentration is the real issue.

So, lets look at some foods that are sources of sugar and see how they compare in their concentrations of sugar, or "sugar density" (grams of sugar per lb of food)

Fresh Fruit
Apple - 47
Orange - 42
Banana - 55
Pineapple - 44
Watermelon - 28
Blueberries - 45

Starchy Vegetables
Peas 21
Corn 28
Potato 5

Dried Fruit
Medjool Dates - 301
Deglet Noor Dates - 287
Raisins - 268

Concentrated Sugars
Honey - 372
Sugar - 453

As we can see, there is a large difference in the sugar concentration between concentrated sugars (honey, sugar) and fresh fruit and between concentrated sugars and starchy vegetables.

However, notice that the sugar concentration of dried fruit is very similar to the sugar concentration of many natural, unprocessed and refined, concentrated sugars. This is why for many people, foods like dried fruits, and dishes that are based on dried fruits, may need to be minimized or avoided.

For example, someone who has a problem with sugar may have a problem with dried fruit (i.e. dates) and not an apple. Why? Both have sugar, but dates are far more concentrated in sugar than an apple is in regard to sugar density (301 to 47), and it is the concentration that is the real issue.

As such, someone who has a problem with fat may have a problem with nuts but not oatmeal. Why? Well, they both have fat, but in regard to fat density (grams of fat per lb of food), nuts are far more concentrated in fat than oatmeal (224 vs. 7), and it is the concentration that is the real issue.

As with foods high in calorie density, you can avoid a problem with a food concentrated in sugar (or fat) by diluting it with another food that is low in sugar (or fat) density.

So, adding a little but of sugar or dates to a large bowl of oatmeal will have little effect on someone as the total sugar concentration will be low, regardless of whether the sugar came from a concentrated sugar or dates. The oatmeal will dilute out the total concentration of the sugar in the total meal.

Same with fat. Adding a little bit of nuts or avocado to a large dish of rice, beans and veggies will have little impact on someone as the total fat concentration will be low. The rice, beans and vegetables will dilute out the total concentration of fat in the total meal.

However, mixing a concentrated sugar (sugar or dates), with a food concentrated in fat (i.e. nuts), can be very problematic in regard to "the pleasure trap" and food addictions. The reason is that we now have a food concentrated in both sugar and fat (i.e. date/nuts truffles), which may really set off "the pleasure trap" for many people.

That's why even though a date/nut truffle made be made up of only "Whole," "Natural," "Unprocessed," "Plant" foods, it is hard for many of us to eat just one.

I know. :)

Now, clearly, a date/nut truffle is a much healthier food than a snickers bar, but the date/nut truffle is still a food concentrated in calories, fat and sugar; and, for many of us, it can easily trigger "the pleasure trap" again.

So, if these foods are problematic for you, then avoid them and stick to foods and recipes that are very low in sugar density, fat density, or both and/or have no added, concentrated sugars and/or concentrated fats.

If not, then enjoy them.

In Health,
Jeff

All reference to "the pleasure trap" refers to the concept as defined by Dr Alan Goldhamer and Dr Doug Lisle in their book, "The Pleasure Trap: Mastering the Hidden Force that Undermines Health & Happiness."
JeffN

Re: A Date w/Disaster: The Pleasure Trap of Whole Natural Fo

Postby frozenveg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:43 am

That's a great article, Jeff! I liked the numbers showing the concentration of sugar in various foods. And it helps explain my "lost November" a couple of years ago when I tried 3 batches of Black Bean Brownies (so good for you, right?), sweetened with dates and maple syrup. It felt as if I was addicted, especially after everyone else had a piece and I was left with the rest, each time. I have since learned my limitations around that kind of thing, but it takes re-learning over and over--the battle is rarely won 100%!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Pacificfords » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:13 am

Oh wow. Thank you so much for that article. It really made some things crystal clear for me.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby Acura » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:06 am

Jeff,
I loved the article so much. Your articles are written so simply yet when you are done reading, it compels you to say, Well I didn't think along that line , always give some new perspective. You put so much thinking into your writing. Nice Job

It is difficult to overeat food in it's close to natural state form, with out adding concentrated fat and sugar.
Last edited by Acura on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
CC
Acura

Postby JeffN » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:10 am

Chimichanga wrote:Jeff,

I loved the article so much. Your articles are written so simply yet when you are done reading, it compels you to say, Well I didn't think about , always give some new perspective.

Thanks! :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby talkingmountain » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Jeff, thank you for writing and sharing that article!

It totally explains why I started gaining weight after conscientiously switching from "unhealthy" treats to "healthy/raw" treats.

Bottom line is, regardless of the source of the sugar & fat, high sugar + high fat = Pleasure Trap!
talkingmountain

Postby JeffN » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:26 pm

talkingmountain wrote:Jeff, thank you for writing and sharing that article!

It totally explains why I started gaining weight after conscientiously switching from "unhealthy" treats to "healthy/raw" treats.

Bottom line is, regardless of the source of the sugar & fat, high sugar + high fat = Pleasure Trap!

Your story is not uncommon.

Yes, a date/nut truffle is healthier than a snickers bar, but it is not a health food.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby landog » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Come the harvest - I will be addicted to sweet corn! :)

Thanks for this, Jeff!
-dog
landog

Postby Acura » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:54 pm

landog wrote:Come the harvest - I will be addicted to sweet corn! :)

Thanks for this, Jeff!
-dog

And I'm addicted to sweet cherries, mangoes, papaya, guava, pomegranate, sweet corn and now sweet potato. What does Jeff have to say about this? :duh:

Seriously, you can get addicted to some fruits. If cost was not prohibitive and Dr McDougall did not caution against consuming too many fruits, I would eat way more fruits than I do now. Somewhere the concern is in the back of mind that fructose in fruits could be harmful and it raises your TGLs.
CC
Acura

Postby max » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:36 pm

That's a phantastic article, Jeff! Reminds me of my thoughts when reading some 'healthy' recipies by a certain Chef on the recipie board. Your article should be required reading before trying out these recipies!

max
max

Postby stoumi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Great read Jeff thanks for that outstanding information.
stoumi

Postby buttercup » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:48 am

This was an excellent and very timely article. After three years of successfully McDougalling and attending ASW's, and watching/listening to many videos regarding calorie density, it is finally starting to "click". I have understood it, but now I am living it. Thanks for this article that is much related!
buttercup

Postby JeffN » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:53 am

Terry2eat wrote:I didn't consider dates to be a dried fruit. I need to be more careful about eating them. The numbers were very helpful. I am a retired bean counter (accountant) and some habits never die!

Dates have very low moisture content and the difference between a fresh & dried date is minimal so because of their similarity in calorie density and nutrition to other dried fruits, that is how they are often classified.

It's like the old tomato argument. Fruit or vegetable? Technically a fruit but similar to a vegetable in nutrition so thats how we classify it.

As you said, the numbers tell the whole story.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Tracy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 am

Great article Jeff.

When I went all raw for 3 years after McDougalling for 12 years, I remember many, many times how I just couldn't understand the gurus out there telling you that a heavy, nut/date dessert was better for you than my steamed veggies and brown rice that I normally had.

I went from eating my starch based diet with lots of veggies to high fat/high natural (dried fruit) sugar diet. I started struggling for the first time with my weight AND it was soooooooo expensive!

I am so happy to be back to McDougalling. It is easier, cheaper and more satisfying. I will never do that again!
Feeding my seven children a low fat, plant based diet and loving it!

http://www.momasdoctor.blogspot.com
Tracy

Postby bcmike » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:47 am

Though i stay away from processed sugars, (the recent newsletter with the brownie recipe--i see 1c sugar i pass) and my fruits are "mostly" berries--my downfall is watermelon--i could eat 1/2 of a whole melon in a day--and need much restraint to not finish the whole melon--yum--ugh.
bcmike

Return to Jeff Novick, RD