Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

Postby frozenveg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:49 am

mcfruitarian wrote:Thanks for asking.

I had a periodental operation with bone augmentation. I swelled and hence I remained in bed. Now fully recovered and all forgotten.

Kind regards

Wow! Ouch! Does fully recovered mean that you are able to eat solid food once again? I am such a dental coward... :oops:
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby mcfruitarian » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi Frozenveg,
For a couples of weeks, I lived on blended food which caused me constipation. Subsequently, I was advised to eat unblended food as blending disrupts the fibre structure.
Now I am back to solid food.
mcfruitarian

Postby rosie48 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm a brand spanking Newbie! 1st post here.
Debbie thank you for your amazing guideline post!
I have been struggling with losing.
This gives me some real structure and boundaries. For someone so new to this way of eating I really felt the need for help. This should do it!
I especially liked the link to Mary's mini guideline.
I have been ill for 7 years with lupus and am very hopeful this will help.
It makes it so easy to keep it simple for the first 10 days.

So very glad I found you all.

:nod: Karen
rosie48

Postby curtmartin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:56 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
mcfruitarian wrote:
1) What about home juiced carrots and beetroots ? Does this contravene the MWL ? What would be the daily restrictions ?

Juicing is out for ALL versions of the McDougall program, not just MWLP. The same with smoothies. Dr. McDougall prefers we eat our food, not drink it. And no, lumpy smoothies don't count as "eating." There are multiple threads about this - just use the Search feature at the top of the page.

Ditto for your search for MWLP salad dressings, although most people just use various vinegars or pour things like soup or part of their hot dish over the greens.

I do agree food is really for eating and not drinking. I could use this information and try the McDougall program. I haven't been successful in my weight loss program and it really needs to combine it with exercise and the right food intake.
curtmartin

Postby vegandrea » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:21 pm

I've started and stopped this program several times over the last year because of the "no fruit purees" part. Because I have IBS, I've found a green smoothie to be the best way for me to eat my raw greens. My smoothies are at least 50% - 75% green vegetables and I don't add any juice or "milk" to them and am weaning myself off the dates. But then I get on the discussion board and see all the missives against smoothies and get discouraged. Nothing turns my stomach more than the idea of a bowl of oatmeal in the morning (apologies to those who love the stuff). Some mornings I have neither the time nor the appetite to eat breakfast, and a green smoothie saves the day.

I've read what Dr. McDougall, Jeff N. and others here have written about smoothies, and I completely understand what they are saying and how if a person drank fruit smoothies every day, she'd never lose weight, and also I understand that diabetics and heart disease patients shouldn't have a lot of fruit (luckily, I'm not in either category).

The fact is, when I follow the MWL program in all other aspects and drink one green smoothie a day, I lose weight. When I start eating processed grains and nuts and seeds and so forth, I don't, and when I eat a lot of vegan junk food, I gain weight. If I find after a week or so on MWL that I'm not losing weight, I'll consider giving up my green smoothies, but I'm hoping I can post in the forum for support either way.

vegandrea

Postby frozenveg » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:40 am

vegandrea wrote:The fact is, when I follow the MWL program in all other aspects and drink one green smoothie a day, I lose weight. When I start eating processed grains and nuts and seeds and so forth, I don't, and when I eat a lot of vegan junk food, I gain weight. If I find after a week or so on MWL that I'm not losing weight, I'll consider giving up my green smoothies, but I'm hoping I can post in the forum for support either way.

I am not following your paragraph above. If you follow MWL but add a smoothie, you lose. If you go off of MWL and eat nuts, seeds, and processed grains, or vegan junk food, you don't lose. Is that even when you are having a smoothie?

No one is telling you to eat oatmeal for breakfast. You could have dinner for breakfast! And if you don't have any appetite, then don't eat breakfast at all!

You don't have to go off the program just because you want to have smoothies, but I suggest you just do it and not ask for support in the forum. It is contradictory to acknowledge that we don't advocate smoothies and then ask for the forum to support it! I don't ask for support for my glass of wine--I just have it. ;-)

Another suggestion, if you don't like eating greens, is to eat other vegetables, both raw and cooked. I'm not sure I understand the point of a smoothie, if it is to force oneself to consume something that one otherwise wouldn't eat. If that's the case, I'd find something else to eat.

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby Wild4Stars » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:11 am

For me, one of the joys of this way of eating is that I can eat this way for the rest of my life. It's not a "diet" it is a way of living. I would not want to drink my vegetables the rest of my life. I would suggest you find a way of eating within the program that fits the way you want to eat from now til forever. Otherwise, it's just another diet and when you lose the weight, the diet will be over. The question would be - "Do you want to drink smoothies forever?"

It's not just about losing the weight. It's about gaining health and maintaining the weight. If you'll read about the Star McDougallers, most of them have maintained their weight eating the same way they ate to lose it. I suggest you read ETeSelle's story. She makes no bones about what it takes to KEEP the weight off.

And I agree with frozenveg, you can't come to the forum admitting you're not following the program and ask for support for not following the program. You're going to be disappointed.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby suzy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 am

Hi All:
Thank you for starting this thread, I am so glad that I found it. :D
I am new to this forum. In fact this is my first post here :) I have been a Vegan for over a year, and have lost 30 pounds since. I need to lose another 40lbs. I need to lose this weight quickly due to High blood pressure, High Cholesterol and my risk for Diabetes.
I would like to have some advice about Dr.McDougall's books and cook books that are for weight loss.
I will be starting my weight loss journey tomorrow, so in the meantime I do have a few questions:
1-I was wondering if maple syrup is allowed? I love plain oatmeal for breakfast with maple syrup. If not does anyone have any suggestions for breakfast ideas?
2- Am I allowed to spray or wipe some oil on the baking pan, so that I can make baked vegetables so that they don't stick to the pan?
3- Am I allowed to drink black tea on this plan?
Hope to hear from you soon :D
Thank you so much for all your posts
Suzy
suzy

Postby mcfruitarian » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:55 am

Hi Suzy,

Congratulations for your first post and I am confident that you will be achieving your weight loss target. You are doing very well.

Nowadays and for the last couple of months, I am on brown rice and vegies for breakfast, lunch and supper- no oil whatsoever...

Occasionally ( once a week), I do have plain oats with a touch of maple syrup, just for a touch of sweetness.

You are better off cutting out 100% all oil and nuts in any form and from any source.

You can have your black tea - no sugar and no additive whatsoever. Occasionally ( once a month), I do have camomile tea.

For weight maintenance,one could have oat with maple syrup. However, in your case, as you are in dire need to lose more weight you are better off without for now.

Cheers
mcfruitarian

Postby suzy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:40 am

mcfruitarian wrote:Hi Suzy,

Congratulations for your first post and I am confident that you will be achieving your weight loss target. You are doing very well.

Nowadays and for the last couple of months, I am on brown rice and vegies for breakfast, lunch and supper- no oil whatsoever...

Occasionally ( once a week), I do have plain oats with a touch of maple syrup, just for a touch of sweetness.

You are better off cutting out 100% all oil and nuts in any form and from any source.

You can have your black tea - no sugar and no additive whatsoever. Occasionally ( once a month), I do have camomile tea.

For weight maintenance,one could have oat with maple syrup. However, in your case, as you are in dire need to lose more weight you are better off without for now.

Cheers

:D Hi Mcfruitarian:
Thank you so much for your reply. I am glad that I can drink my tea. :D
Your meals sound nice and simple. I will try to find a starch that I like and will stick with.
suzy

Postby Timkerbelle » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:05 am

vegandrea wrote:Because I have IBS, I've found a green smoothie to be the best way for me to eat my raw greens.

I'm by no means a McDougall expert, so take what I say with a pinch of salt if you want to stay "strict".
If you find that the smoothies help your IBS, then why not continue?
I watched a Doug Lisle talk on youtube, and at the end this woman asked about the green smoothies. He was basically saying that that would be one of the least troublesome things as far as he was concerned.
He also stressed the point about not necessarily being one hundred percent perfect, but rather aim to be perfect most of the time.

This is just my opinion, but we are all individuals capable of intelligent thinking. Plus, no one knows your body better than you. I would personally not worry about eating my veggies blended or whole as a priority, unless I knew everything else was spot on and I still didn't feel 100%/didn't lose weight.
Timkerbelle

Postby Debbie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 am

Dr McDougall has said that if the difference between eating your oats or not is a teaspoon of sugar or in your case a drizzle of maple syrup then use it. You could also try adding fruit to it and start lessening the sweetener as you go along.

Oil is not permitted. Try roasting your veggies without any, you may be surprised.

You can lost weight and lower disease risk by following any subset of his plan. On the main site he has a free plan which could get you started. Do this for health and not weight loss and it will follow.

Welcome!
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby suzy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:12 am

Debbie wrote:Dr McDougall has said that if the difference between eating your oats or not is a teaspoon of sugar or in your case a drizzle of maple syrup then use it. You could also try adding fruit to it and start lessening the sweetener as you go along.

Oil is not permitted. Try roasting your veggies without any, you may be surprised.

You can lost weight and lower disease risk by following any subset of his plan. On the main site he has a free plan which could get you started. Do this for health and not weight loss and it will follow.

Welcome!

Hi Debbie,
Thank you so much for your advise. :D I like your suggestion, about slowly switching to fruit as a sweetener.
What kind of pan do you use for roasting veggies?
suzy

Postby Debbie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:32 pm

It depends. If I have any liquid I use a glass lasagna type pan. If I do them dry, I love roasting broccoli and cauliflower dry with only seasonings, I use a cookie sheet.
Last edited by Debbie on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby frozenveg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:09 pm

I have been pleasantly surprised at dry-roasting vegetables in a Pyrex dish. The dish washes up very clean! If I expect any sticking, or if I use soy sauce or balsamic, I will use parchment paper in the dish for easy cleanup.

Success Story:
frozenveg

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program