Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

Postby morphine » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 am

Oh...i just read your last post again. I guess almond milk is not ok on MWL. I will just use water until I go buy some soy or rice milk.
morphine

Postby morphine » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:35 pm

I just checked out the different "milks" at Walmart. Almond milk is 2.5 grams of fat, while soy and rice milk were 4.0 - 5.0. They did have "low-fat" soy and rice milks, at 1.5 - 2.5 grams of fat.

So, which would be best to use for oatmeal, mashed potatoes, and cereal?

Thanks!
morphine

Postby frozenveg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:29 am

When you read labels, you are checking not just for grams of fat, but for added oils. So read the ingredient list to see if there are any oils added, and don't use those milks.

Then the next thing to check for is the percent of fat to total calories. The lower the percentage, the better, but a guideline is to stay under 20%. This requires math! If you are in the U.S., the label will tell you the calories from fat and total calories. Divide the fat calories by the total calories and you have your percentage. (Example: 90 calories form fat, 200 calories total. 90/200=.45, or 45% percent fat.)

If you have total calories, but don't have the calories from fat and only have the grams, a gram of fat is about 9 calories. So if your milk has 2.5 grams of fat in 40 calories, it has 22.5 calories out of 40, so it's more than 56% fat.

So check them all out that way, and you'll have a better handle on what is the best choice.

All of this I got from Jeff Novick's label-reading info. I can't recommend him highly enough, as essential reading for all newly-starting-out McDougallers! Make sure to read everything in his sticky threads at the top of his forum:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13282
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby frozenveg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:12 am

LynnCS, glad I could be of help!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby Key Tones » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 am

Have you seen the Mike Teehan youtube video/McDougall 2009 star shown by Vegetarian Society of Hawaii?

He says he would freeze a banana, blend it with water, and use that for milk.

I'm not sure how that fits in - I just read that we are not supposed to puree milk (I am reading MWL book now)
Key Tones

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:13 am

LynnCS wrote:I do have a question about the pop corn. I have learned to make it in a heavy bottomed pan w no oil (not air popped) I think I can say it's the same as air popped, but wanted to ask.

It's the same whether it's popped in a pan, an air popper, or special microwave corn popper - as long as it's cooked with no oil.
VeggieSue

Postby PamW » Thu May 09, 2013 10:33 pm

suzy wrote:I think you are right. giving up the idea, is the best.
I will do a search for the oat milk.

Check out Cathy Fisher's blog "Straight Up Food." She follows the regular McDougall plan and posted a tutorial on making a variety of non-dairy milks, including oat and rice:
http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2012 ... iry-milks/

DIY rice milk or oat milk is cheap compared to buying and is SO easy. The DIY "milks" keep for about a week in the fridge, so scale the recipe to meet your needs. I usually make a half recipe because I only need a little dab on my oatmeal. When I used to buy non-dairy milks, sometimes they would go bad before I finished the quart. Cathy also has nut milk recipes but those are not MWL. Just scroll past the almond and pecan to get to the oat and rice milks.

She has some other recipes on her site that would be perfect MWL recipes and others that are not (I'll warn you now, she has a good eye for photography and a love affair with avocados...but those are not MWL...sigh... :crybaby: )

Cheers!
Pam in Sacramento
PamW

Postby RiceGirl » Fri May 10, 2013 8:17 am

Westsoy has a non-fat soy milk that has zero calories from fat, and the ingredients show no fats at all. I confess to liking almond milk slightly better, but it doesn't seem to come in a non-fat version.

DJ
RiceGirl

Postby ajhondrngal » Mon May 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Another tip on hash brown potatoes... We add just a little water before putting on the lid. It helps steam the potatoes.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby amgmmg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:17 am

I have a question about the MWL.

I am not really eating uncooked food or veggies. Maybe a tomato a day.
But the rest I cook. I have cooked today tomatoes, celery, bok choy, pepper and cabbage and loved it.

I am also forgetting to eat one half o a quarter of veggies with potatoes or rice.
Is this the reason I am not losing much weight?
amgmmg

Postby frozenveg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:23 am

amgmmg wrote:I have a question about the MWL.

I am not really eating uncooked food or veggies. Maybe a tomato a day.
But the rest I cook. I have cooked today tomatoes, celery, bok choy, pepper and cabbage and loved it.

I am also forgetting to eat one half o a quarter of veggies with potatoes or rice.
Is this the reason I am not losing much weight?

amgmmg, it is good to have a few raw veggies a day. But I doubt that eating cooked, rather than raw, veggies is something that would hold up your weight loss efforts.

But I am puzzled at how you can behaving all the cooked vegetables you described and yet you aren't having a quarter to a half veggies to rice or potatoes! And what specifically do you mean, "I am not losing much weight"? How long have you been doing MWL? How much do you have to lose? How much have you lost, in what span of time? I lost 99 pounds, and it took me almost exactly 104 weeks (2 years), so there you have an example of "slow but steady," and I am very happy with it.

It might help if you listed a day or two of everything you are eating. Then folks here could help you with advice on how you might tweak your plan to help you with your weight loss goal. Keep us posted!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby amgmmg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks Frozenveg.

I would like to lose 16 kilos which is about 35 to 37 pounds.
I started diet on 30 June, although I was eatng this way before, except that I also ate chocolates, which I stopped now.

I have lost 1.5kg the first week and recover half a kilo.

This is what I ate yesterday

1 bowl of oats with 2 teaspoon of apple sauce.
I then cooked about 8 potatoes, (most were small and some medium ones). I ate those with some veggies for lunch
I must say I had two or three crackers I should have not had in the afternoon.
Then I had another 2 potatoes at night with veggies, and I finished my daughter's pasta with tomato sauce
Late at night I ate a small plate of pasta that was left (no sauce) and a small potato. I work sometimes late and I feel like eating.

I eat potatoes plain.
I do have one or two teaspoons of strawberry jam when I crave sweet things..

I hardly drunk water.
Yesterday I jogged 4x5 minutes (I do not run fast as I am still unfit)/

This morning had a bowl of oats with apple sauce.
We went out and did not eat anything.
When we got home, at lunch time, I had again two crackers,
4 small potatoes with the veggies mixed cooked (tomato, celery, bok choy, cabbage, pepper)
I had again two teaspoon of strawberry jam ( I do crave sweet things

I did not exercise yet today. It is 3:00m
I have only started with veggies this week. Otherwise I just had rice or potatoes.

What do I do with my sweet cravings. I also feel sleepy all the time. I am now falling asleep as I type this. But that might be something else.
Last week I had a couple of days I ate white bread, until I realized it had oil. I know the crackers had oil, but I just chose to have them.

Sometimes for lunch or during the day I would have 2 cups of uncooked rice.

Thanks, maybe I am impatient and maybe I do not exercise enough.
amgmmg

Postby Wild4Stars » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:29 am

amgmmg wrote:

Sometimes for lunch or during the day I would have 2 cups of uncooked rice.

Is that a typo or do you really eat 2 cups of uncooked rice? How do you eat it? Plain or with something? Just curious. Thanks.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby amgmmg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:08 am

Wild4Stars

I do not eat it uncooked. I wrote it like that since that is the measure.
Is that too much?
I think I am eating too much

I just get really eating when working on the computer. Each break I go and eat.
I eat it sometimes with apple sauce, sometimes with tomato sauce, and sometimes alone.
amgmmg

Postby Wild4Stars » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:43 am

amgmmg wrote:Wild4Stars

I do not eat it uncooked. I wrote it like that since that is the measure.
Is that too much?
I think I am eating too much

I just get really eating when working on the computer. Each break I go and eat.
I eat it sometimes with apple sauce, sometimes with tomato sauce, and sometimes alone.

OK. Maybe I was just reading it wrong. 2 cups uncooked is approximately 4 cups cooked which sounds like a lot, but over the course of a day not really that much.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program