Psoriatic Arthritis Journal 2- Equation for Change

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Psoriatic Arthritis Journal 2- Equation for Change

Postby nicoles » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:32 pm

After three and a half years of great success in managing my psoriatic arthritis, I am ready for a new chapter.My old journal is practically a behemoth, and I am ready for a fresh start with my new found health.

At this point, my goal for the diet is to maintain my adherence despite my good health, which can be tricky since there are less reminders that the food you are eating might not be doing you good when you are pain-free. However, I am not too concerned about that - my one foray off plan a few years ago had such terrible consequences that I still feel slightly traumatized, and I have conversed with enough people online with autoimmune diseases who use diet to manage them to have learned that there is a trend to each slip being harder to recover from than the last. I do not want to throw away all this hard work in the slightest, and no truly unhealthy foods call to me at all, except coffee occasionally. But one moment's reflection as to how I'd really feel having a coffee (anxious, hyper, stomach ache, some other unmentionable digestive issues etc.) is always enough to keep me away.

Secondary goals are career-related and fitness-related. A good four years of being unable to focus on career has really made me antsy to GET GOING AND DO BIG THINGS, but my goals have changed and I need a new game plan. I am very grateful to my illness in many ways for helping me to whittle down to what the most important things are in life, and I would like to remember that and not get caught up in competing over things I am not really invested or interested in. I also appreciate how being sick has taught me patience, and the value of many small steps leading to a greater accomplishment.

In terms of fitness, I have been gradually building my strength and endurance to a point now where I feel confident in making some goals to strive for, although I have not yet decided what they will be. One thing I am working on for sure is getting back my flexibility - long-term pain and immobility have left tightness and weakness in many areas, and I know I'll feel even better working those kinks out.

I saw this the other day, and I loved it as a map for making changes, so I am posting it here to remind myself of the Equation whenever I need a boost:

Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal 2- Equation for Change

Postby f1jim » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:21 am

You have done such a wonderful job of identifying the dietary problems in your life, making the changes necessary to achieve good health, and your words here tell us all you want this to be a permanent change. You have perfectly encapsulated the path we must all follow.
That path is filled with many side roads that can derail you. Those roads have names like peer pressure, family influences, work situations, and many, many more. Garbage food will always lure you back. The pleasure trap will always be there waiting. It really is all about making those lifestyle changes your daily way of life.
Sounds like you have that all well in hand. We are blessed to have you along with us on our own path to reaching and keeping good health.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby nicoles » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks, F1jim! Very kind and thoughtful of you to say :-D

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Lifted weights for real yesterday. I have been doing light weight training for a while to get my baseline of strength up from "nothing" to "functional" and yesterday I took the plunge and actually challenged myself. It felt great!! BUt today I have some serious DOMS. I don't mind, I'll take healthy muscle discomfort from strength training over arthritis any day :D

My plan for now on the weights front is to do a full body training session 2X a week, with two days between the first and second day, and three days of rest until the nest week. I anticipate about 6 weeks worth of fatigue and serious DOMS on this schedule until I get a bit more fit and able. We'll see!

Food was fine. I loved eating today after all the exercise yesterday! Apricots and peaches are in season and such a treat.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby jamietwo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:07 pm

I'm so excited for you, Nicole! Pump it up! :D

I am doing "wall pushups" as a way to start getting my upper body strength back! Someone keeps putting the heavy weights on the standalone bar, so I'm not doing ANY lifting now (not that I would really count lifting 5 pounds each side as "lifting"- LOL).
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby nicoles » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:39 pm

jamietwo wrote:I'm so excited for you, Nicole! Pump it up! :D

I am doing "wall pushups" as a way to start getting my upper body strength back! Someone keeps putting the heavy weights on the standalone bar, so I'm not doing ANY lifting now (not that I would really count lifting 5 pounds each side as "lifting"- LOL).

Thanks Jamietwo :)

Wall pushups are hard! I was doing those for months leading up to this new step. They were really effective.

I do count lifting 5# a side as lifting. I count anything that is challenging to the muscles used as lifting!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Last week's exercise was a success. I lifted weights on Tuesday and on Friday, each time a full body lifting routine. I was able to lift slightly heavier weight on Friday, and did not experience much muscle soreness, either - an added bonus.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:42 pm

Yet another week of weights on Tuesday and Friday. I am not winning any medals here, but I am beginning to really feel the increased strength in my everyday activities, and the stretching I do inbetween sets is improving my flexibility greatly already. Huzzah! :D

When I think back to a couple of years ago when I could not even begin to move with the consistency I have now, I just feel so incredibly lucky and grateful.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby jamietwo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:50 pm

nicoles wrote:When I think back to a couple of years ago when I could not even begin to move with the consistency I have now, I just feel so incredibly lucky and grateful.

I totally get this! I have found that sometimes I don't truly appreciate things until after I've lost them. What a gift to have lost and regained my health so that I can live in the gratitude! :nod:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Starch Chick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:04 pm

nicoles wrote:Yet another week of weights on Tuesday and Friday. I am not winning any medals here, but I am beginning to really feel the increased strength in my everyday activities, and the stretching I do inbetween sets is improving my flexibility greatly already. Huzzah! :D

When I think back to a couple of years ago when I could not even begin to move with the consistency I have now, I just feel so incredibly lucky and grateful.

So glad you are feeling the results. It's good to reflect on how far you've come. Isn't it amazing how quickly our bodies improve when we start challenging them a little?
.....Beth
"It's the food" - Dr McDougall
Starch Chick

Postby nicoles » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:32 pm

jamietwo wrote:I totally get this! I have found that sometimes I don't truly appreciate things until after I've lost them. What a gift to have lost and regained my health so that I can live in the gratitude! :nod:

Oh yes, yes, yes, SOO true! We are very lucky to have this opportunity for gratitude! :D

Starch Chick wrote:So glad you are feeling the results. It's good to reflect on how far you've come. Isn't it amazing how quickly our bodies improve when we start challenging them a little?

Thanks, Beth! It is amazing how well we do with a little challenge.

Has anyone heard of Go Kaleo? She wrote a couple of posts, with photos, about how many gains she made physically in terms of fitness (strength training, mainly) and the main point is that she was consistent over time, and wasn't too gung ho so she did not burn out. She posts the long-view version of transformation here and here.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby nicoles » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Fruity Beauty!

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Oh LOVE this Fruity Beauty Nicole! Thanks <3

I am more a "feel my way" kind of gal than an equation one, but I applaud you for knowing what works for you and using it as a tool. That's the important thing. Glad you are enjoying the weight training at a sensible pace, and that you're sharing your wisdom on "this side" of your journey in a new journal! I know it's going to help a lot of people. Yay!

xoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:43 am

Love the fruity pictures! I went to Go Kaleo and WOW! I really appreciate how she emphasizes the long-view of working out. Thanks for posting that.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby nicoles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:07 am

Hiya Moonwatcher! You know, I feel ya on that one (see what I did there? hahahahahahaha ;-) ) I am not really a chart kind of gal, either, at least not at the beginning of things. What I liked abot it was the clear explanation of what I already intuited to be the effective way to do stuff, well, effectively :) . NOw, I can take a look anytime it seems like I am flailing, and ask where the weak spot is. And then, of course, engage in some omphaloskepsis about why the spot is weak... :lol:

Fulenn, Isn't Go Kaleo rad for doing that? She helped me a lot with that post, too. Now I am all excited about the boring, slow progressive exercise I'm doing. I mean, I've seen what long-term, sustained effort can do with this diet. Applying this elsewhere, and golly, WORLDS open up! :-D

xoxo

Nicole

My Journal
nicoles

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals