Bread Machine

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bread Machine

Postby haghverdi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:24 pm

I know that bread isn't the 1st choice for grains while trying to lose weight. But it's ok once in a while right? Especially if I am making the whole grain kind on my new bread machine?

Thanks,

H
haghverdi

Re: Bread Machine

Postby JeffN » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:37 pm

haghverdi wrote:I know that bread isn't the 1st choice for grains while trying to lose weight. But it's ok once in a while right? Especially if I am making the whole grain kind on my new bread machine?

Thanks,

H

The main problems with bread are the refined grains and added fats, oils, sugars, and salt.

However, if it bread is made with 100% whole grain, with no added anything, it is still a calorie dense food. That is why the MWL Program eliminates it and why it is not best for weight loss. Of course, one slice occasionally never hurt anyone.

What matters most, is what matters most. Or what we do most of time. The problem, as has been pointed out here by many others, is many people have a problem with many of these foods and having just one, or once in a while. Once they start, the flood gates open.

It may be helpful to review the thread on calorie density

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6032

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby haghverdi » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:42 am

Jeff,

Thanks so much! I really do appreciate you being here.

-H
haghverdi

bread machine

Postby catalina1 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:41 am

jeff hi its anthony , just some questions about calorie density - i was looking over your calorie density chart and several numbers caught my eye. first legumes come in at 600 calories/lb. and according to your statement , weight loss can occur with this category , but only with moderate exercise. i always thought and according to dr. fuhrman , ( and maybe you also ? ) that legumes were unlimited . also , whole intact grains have a lower calorie density than legumes and what about pasta ( is this food unlimited ? ) and whole grain cold cereals such as shreded wheat - doesnt it soak up liquid as do hot cereals such as oatmeal ?
catalina1

Re: bread machine

Postby JeffN » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:34 am

catalina1 wrote:jeff hi its anthony , just some questions about calorie density - i was looking over your calorie density chart and several numbers caught my eye. first legumes come in at 600 calories/lb. and according to your statement , weight loss can occur with this category , but only with moderate exercise. i always thought and according to dr. fuhrman , ( and maybe you also ? ) that legumes were unlimited . also , whole intact grains have a lower calorie density than legumes and what about pasta ( is this food unlimited ? ) and whole grain cold cereals such as shreded wheat - doesnt it soak up liquid as do hot cereals such as oatmeal ?

Hi Tony

No one that I know of, myself included (who i know pretty well) :) is recommending a diet of just legumes. Everyone is recommended the inclusion of fruits and vegetables. Adding in fruits and veggies with legumes (and other starches) lowers the overall calorie density of the diet to around 400 calorie per pound or less. That is the key

Yes, in general, whole unrefined intact whole grains, have a slightly lower average then beans. Most run in the range of 450-500 with some a little higher and some a little lower. Oatmeal is actually around 300. Beans run around 500-550, with some a little higher, and some a little lower.

Whole wheat pasta is the only exception I know of in regard to calorie density and processed foods. While it is processed, it does not have the calorie density of other processed whole grains, like bread and crackers. The reason is because when it is cooked, it absorbs lots of water into the structure of the pasta, and remember, high water content, within the food is a key factor in lowering calorie density. So, the calorie density of cooked pasta is around 500-550

And, you are correct about whole grain dry cereals. We may put some liquid on them but they do not absorb and hold the liquid the same way or to the same extent as does pasta so they are still very calorie dense.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD