CRON-o-meter Tips

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

CRON-o-meter Tips

Postby Donna R » Thu May 08, 2008 8:28 am

in JeffN's forum he has a link to download it, it's free.
http://spaz.ca/cronometer/

in case anyone, like me, gets a little flustered learning how to use the program, here's what I've learned so far.

when you set it up you'll be asked for your info.

the current date will be at the top. the arrows let you move backward or forward.

click add a serving and type in the food you want. example: beans. there will be several choices. choose what your want such as navy, mature seeds, raw. if you know the amount in grams, highlight where it has 1.0 and type it in. if you don't want grams, click the down arrow to the left of the g and click cup. if you want 1/4 cup of raw beans (which will make more when cooked) highlight the 1.0 and type in .25. that shows it's 175 calories and you can compare this with the info on your package of beans and make adjustments if necessary. then click add.

to delete an item, highlight it and click delete serving.

when you don't find a food you want, such as homemade vegetable soup, estimate how many calories in a cup and find foods that are in the soup that will add up to that amount. or I used Campbell's vegetarian vegetable in the list and adjusted the amount to make the number of calories I wanted. that gave added fat so I'll have to adjust the fat total but I don't worry about that since I'm not using added fat.

when looking at the foods for the day it will give a summary at the bottom and you can click the tabs to see the other info. from the tab"file" you can print the list of foods. or from "edit" you can highlight the list and copy and paste into email or Word. from "report" you can see or print the nutritional value. from "foods" you can import but I haven't done that yet.

from "file" you can manage users, and change the nutritional targets. when you close the program it will save the info and you can find it by clicking the back button to get the day you want.

from the tab "biomarkers" you can put in your info and make a chart.
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby Lin » Fri May 09, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks for the tips Donna. I'm trying to learn how to use this gadget too, and it's a little slow going! I think I've finally figured out how to add my own foods!

The hardest part for me is trying to figure out how many calories are in my tossed salads. I hardly ever eat the same veggies and I've never measured salad ingredients! I wonder if there's a ballpark figure that I could use, for a couple of cups of tossed salad.

Also, are there set numbers that should be entered in the %'s of protein to carbohydrates to fats each day?

Once most of what I eat is in the CRON-O-Meter, it should be a lot easier to use. Right now, I'm struggling with it.

If anyone has some good menus that they've figured out using it, I'd be interested if you'd like to share! :D

That menu that Jeff N posted with all of those sweet potatoes is great. I did it one day and was quite full. I mashed sweet potatoes that I cooked in the pressure cooker, and according to the CRON-O-Meter, (if I did it right :lol: ), I could have 6 cups, instead of the 8 eight cups that Jeff used. I'm not sure which sweet potato entry he used. Anyway, I was very satisfied with my food that day and the next morning I lost 1/2 lb., which is good for me. I'm a volume eater and I'm trying to find menus that satisfy my big appetite! :lol:
Lin

Let all that you do be done in love.
(1 Cor. 16: 14)
Lin

Postby alias » Sat May 10, 2008 6:34 am

When creating a new food:

1- If I just have the % how do I put this in. It seems to only take grams.

2- If the food is measured in cups, it seems to only take grams, when entering a new food. Where can I change this to add cups or by slice?
If it is already on file, I can get cups, slice, etc.

3- Where it lists Energy, is that where I put calories ?

Tip. When a food is in your diary, if you double click on it, a page with the particulars about the food will pop up.

Thanks for the help !
alias

Postby mollyfisher » Sun May 11, 2008 9:24 am

alias wrote:When creating a new food:

1- If I just have the % how do I put this in. It seems to only take grams.

2- If the food is measured in cups, it seems to only take grams, when entering a new food. Where can I change this to add cups or by slice?
If it is already on file, I can get cups, slice, etc.

3- Where it lists Energy, is that where I put calories ?

Tip. When a food is in your diary, if you double click on it, a page with the particulars about the food will pop up.

Thanks for the help !

1. I don't understand the question, so I'll skip this one

2. You can use this conversion chart to find the equivalent grams in the measure you want to use. Then add that measure by clicking the plus sign here:

3. Yep, that's where you put calories (kcal)
mollyfisher

Postby alias » Sun May 11, 2008 4:10 pm

Thanks for the help Molly.

I wasn't sure how to use the conversion chart. It seems I would have to know the number of grams in a cup etc. I have to look at the prepackaged food. I guess most would have grams and the usual serving size.

As to question one. On most prepackage food they will list under Nutritional values.

10% vit. C 30 % calcium for example.

How do I put these values into the Cron. ?
alias

Postby alias » Sun May 11, 2008 4:13 pm

I just figured it out. I see that it does allow for %

Thanks !
alias

Postby Donna R » Sun May 11, 2008 7:30 pm

where you enter the amount of the food, for example one, to the right is the g for grams. click the down arrow to the right of the g, there's usually another option to click, such as cup. and if you have one-half cup, use the cup option and type in .5 for the amount, instead of one.

on a food package it will sometimes give a serving as something like 1/2 cup and also tell you how many grams that is.
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby Sher » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Here is another thread, that JeffN started, showing how to "Tweak" the Cron-O-Meter when you are setting it up. It took me a while to find it again, and I thought I'd post it here, too.

Customizing your Nutrient Goals, & Jeff's Recommendations

Sher
Sher

Return to The Lounge