How did Esselstyn, Barnard, Ornish & Williams get caught up?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

A Note for the board from Dr. Esselstyn

Postby John McDougall » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:47 pm

John,

As I crawl from underneath the bus, it is essential for me to clarify your criticism of me in regards to this week’s committee authored American College of Cardiology (ACC) publication.

On page 1182 of the ACC paper there is reference to three of my publications immediately followed by the statement “On this basis, it appears that a whole food plant based diet may halt progression of coronary atherosclerosis and achieve evidence of angiographic disease regression.” The reference to my publications numbers 133, 134, and 135 appear on page 1187 of the ACC paper. To update you further, in 2016 I published an article in the Journal of The American College of Lifestyle Medicine entitled “Defining an Overdue Requiem for Palliative Cardiovascular Medicine” and I just completed a paper entitled “Coronary Artery Disease: A Mandate for Effective Therapy.”
to be published later this year in a geriatric journal issue edited by Robert Ostfeld. In two weeks, on March 19th, I have been given 12 minutes to preset my research and clinical strategies how to prevent and reverse heart disease before the membership of the American College of Cardiology in Washington, D.C.

My point is that in none of these writings or presentations in the past, present, or future have I deviated from my “NO OIL” plant based nutrition message.

While I would like nothing more than to have the ACC paper echo my hard and fast no oil plant based approach, you can appreciate the conflicts of some of the authors resulting in compromise and in brutal editing, not surprising in a committee authored article.

Thank you for sharing my response with your audience.

Es
John McDougall
Site Admin

Re: How did Esselstyn, Barnard, Ornish & Williams get caught

Postby bbq » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:13 pm

While I would like nothing more than to have the ACC paper echo my hard and fast no oil plant based approach, you can appreciate the conflicts of some of the authors resulting in compromise and in brutal editing, not surprising in a committee authored article.

Somehow my choice of word compromise turned out to be quite fitting then:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54748#p556182

That also reminded me something about Dr. Esselstyn's patient:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52239&start=15#p534949
http://books.google.com/books?id=WDjZpJXEQwkC&pg=PT75 wrote:This time, he added to the list. He had forgotten, he said, to mention that he was consuming "heart healthy" olive oil at every lunch and dinner and in salads.

It was what they call a Eureka moment. Immediately, I advised him to give up the olive oil. He did—and within seven weeks, his angina had completely disappeared.
bbq

Re: Are Note for the board from Dr. Esselstyn

Postby patty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Mahalo to Dr. Esselstyn for clarifying... being thrown off the bus. The best revenge in life is to be heart healthy, and happy!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby StarchHEFP » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:05 pm

That's a wonderful reply! I can understand and appreciate the glaring conflict of interest in that paper with the olive oil industry and one of the authors. They must have "brutally edited" Dr. Esselstyn's usual "no oil" mantra right out of that paper, thereby missing his most important point of all! I am thankful for 2 movies I just recently watched (1) Eating You Alive (available on DigiNext) and (2) Live and Let Live Film (Netflix) and Dr. Esselstyn is repeating the same refrain, no oil, not even olive oil! How inconvenient for the authors of the paper for them to publish a sentence or 2 directly contradicting their whole paper. It shows the vested interests hide the truth from us in order to feed the industry. Isn't it great we have access to the web so we can go directly to his website to see the truth? Also these forums where Dr. John McDougall did 1 simple email to his plant-based buddy to clear up any confusion, then posted for us all? I'm sure it will be the subject of an upcoming newsletter!
StarchHEFP

Postby Kaye » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Thank you Dr McDougall for posting the reply from Dr Esselstyn. I am happy to read that his stance on NO OIL remains the same.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby Timaca » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:57 pm

I appreciate reading the article and everyone's thoughts and comments, especially Dr. McDougall chiming in with Dr Esselstyn's clarification.

In my personal experience a WFPB no oil diet yielded me worse lipid labs than a diet with some fish and some olive oil. Part of the problem for me also seems to lie in the area of the glycemic index (GI) of foods and how they relate to my lipid levels. I was surprised that the article did not touch on that area since both Dr. Es and Dr. Ornish have info about how to lower TG on their websites.

In August I was eating WFPB no oil and had my highest TG ever (147), lowest HDL ever (39), one of my higher LDL ever (120) and worst Chol/HDL ration ever of 4.8. My TC was 189. When I was expecting my best labs ever, this came as a shocker. :shock:

I got online to figure out what the heck had happened and stumbled across the possibility of GI of foods being an issue for some people. I was eating melons (it was summer), short grain brown rice (higher GI) and 3-4 dates per day for calories. Other than that I was eating a lot of sweet potatoes, vegies and legumes. So it was VERY annoying to have to change my diet and eat lower GI foods but I had to do something. Clearly my labs were not headed in a good direction!

So I cut out the melons, cut back on fruit, cut out the dates, and used long grain brown rice instead of short grain. I added in some olive oil and ate fish on occasion when we traveled to WA state. My labs were drawn again in November and my TG went from 147 to 80, HDL from 39 to 48, LDL from 120 to 108, ratio from 4.8 to 3.6, VLDL from 29 to 16, and TC from 189 to 172. Clearly these were better numbers. (Note, nuts and seeds are problematic for me or I would eat them instead of olive oil).

I am eating a bit more fruit, 1 date a day (rebel that I am :twisted: ), and sticking with the long grain brown rice. I am eating 1 teaspoon Manuka honey a day (which may or may not be higher GI...certainly it's not low....but I'm experimenting with it for health reasons). And I'm eating a small amount olive oil each day.

I will have my lipid levels run in a couple of weeks for an appt with my cardiologist at the end of the month. I will be interested to see where I'm at. Hopefully, they will be even better still. But in me, eating WFPB no oil was not good for my lipid levels....at least not without taking into account the GI of the foods I was eating. (Annoying that I have to do that, but it is what it is!)

Best to all,
Timaca

Postby StarchHEFP » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:22 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience. While I can't speak to your specific case because there are so many variables, I can say as a general rule I suggest WFPB no oil, with as much fiber as possible for everyone. And I would say in general, someone's health is beyond specific numbers, and speaking generally, it's better to follow the lifestyle plan and trust the process than chase the numbers around. Thank you again, and I wish the best health to you.
StarchHEFP

Postby bbq » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Italy Arrests 33 Accused of Olive Oil Fraud
https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-business/italy-arrests-33-accused-olive-oil-fraud/55364
Selling fake olive oil isn’t a pauper’s scheme. Last year, high-quality olive oil was selling for as much as $50 a gallon while fake products cost only $7 to make, a 60 Minutes segment noted. “The profit margin can be three times better than cocaine,” journalist Tom Mueller said during the show.

Olive Oil: Between Record Fraud And Record Consumption, An Industry Ripe For Disruption
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2016/03/07/can-olive-oil-be-saved-between-record-crime-and-consumption-an-industry-ripe-for-disruption/
At the moment, the world of olive oil is a confusing place, with numbers skyrocketing. Global consumption doubled in 2015 to a record 3,295,911 tons, an increase of 73% over the last 25 years. At the same time, cases of fraud and counterfeiting have multiplied to an estimated €16 billion in revenues last year - and that's just in Italy.

Salubrious Scoop: Olive Oil Fraud
https://www.tbnewswatch.com/column/the-salubrious-scoop/salubrious-scoop-olive-oil-fraud-551074
It was discovered that 7 of the biggest olive oil makers in the USA mix their olive oil with cheap oils to get more profits. About 70% of olive oil sold in U.S. stores is fake (as in Canada, as we buy from the same sources) cut with cheaper, inferior oils like canola and sunflower oil.

Don't fall victim to olive oil fraud
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-overtime-how-to-buy-olive-oil/
Journalist Tom Mueller, who has researched the industry, estimates that half the oil sold as extra-virgin in Italy and 75-80 percent of the oil sold in the U.S. does not meet the legal grades for extra-virgin oil.

Scientists Pool Expertise in Fight Against Fake Olive Oils
https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-basics/madrid-meeting-olive-oil-authentication
That there is a problem was not in dispute. Figures released at the Workshop on Olive Oil Authentication, held in Madrid June 10-11, show that one in four olive oils sampled in Spain, and nearly one in three in Canada, failed recent official fraud tests.

Oils and Fats Market to Reach USD 170 billion by 2019 Worldwide
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/oils-and-fats-market-to-reach-usd-170-billion-by-2019-worldwide-564834531.html
bbq

Postby healthyvegan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks for sharing Esselstyn's response. A bus indeed!

Timaca, you will find your answer here.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl ... erides.htm
You changed too many things to properly give credit where it's due
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby CathyC » Fri May 05, 2017 8:31 am

There isn't anything anyone could say about Dr Esselstyn that would ever make me deviate from my admiration of him and his work. Everyone that follows his work knows of his no oil stance. Anyone that says otherwise is ill informed.
CJ
CathyC

Postby f1jim » Fri May 05, 2017 3:21 pm

Or they are attempting to ride on Dr. Essesltyns spotless coattails. This was my initial reaction to the original post. Dr. Esselstyn is on the MT. Rushmore of nutritional excellence along with Dr. McDougall.
Selling out? Not in my wildest dreams.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Previous

Return to The Lounge