30km trail race 13th October 2019.

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

30km trail race 13th October 2019.

Postby Ruff » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:14 pm

I have signed up for a 30km trail race on the 13th October, which also happens to be my 57th birthday. I won’t be able to run it all because of the hills, and I am expecting it to be quite hard.

I have decided to post a log here, partly to keep me on track, as my running has been a very hit and miss affair recently, and also for interest to anyone else who wants to run as an older starter (I started running in my 50th year, shortly before I started McDougalling, but I have not really done anything except a bit of local jogging this last year or so).

So, today I ran 7km on the flat, estuary and beach, hard sand, mid tide. I am very slow, partly because I run with a limp due to an accident decades ago, but mostly because I am unfit! :lol: I need to work on my speed, endurance and hill fitness.

My next task is to make a training plan, that includes hills and rough trails. Plenty of rocks, roots, trees, mud and trip hazards on this particular race. Not much open trail. I also need to make a decision about poles or no poles. If I am going to use my poles I need to train with them.

And if anyone wants to start from scratch and finds couch to 5km too hard, as I did when I started as an obese 49 year old, then I am happy to share what worked for me .
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Re: 30km trail race 13th October 2019.

Postby Ruff » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Day 2, 7.5km.

An interesting run, it was high tide and the water was well over the estuary path in places so I needed to take a detour through the scrub. And then on the beach it was soft sand and dashes up into the dunes as the waves came in! I walked some of it.

I have some foot pain, but otherwise all is good.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Day 3. Rest day from running.

Did 2 hours of Aikido.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:33 pm

Day 4. 7km steady. Beach and estuary. Still soft sand on the beach but at least the paths around the estuary were clear. Amazing sunrise out of the ocean.

Legs holding up well so far, but I need to be careful not to do too much too soon. I’m not as young as I used to be!
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Day 5 Hills. Pipeline to aerial via summit road, back via crater rim.

I had tired legs before I started...and now they are worse! I did 7.5km (about 4 and a half miles) and 1300 feet of accent, some of which was about 1:2 gradient! Had to use hands! I had to walk most of it, but I went as fast as I could.

The pipeline is at the start of the run, and is very steep, in places a rocky scramble. Then the run takes you under the cable car and along the old summit road, shut since the earthquakes. Then up the access road to the aerials and the trig point. It took 1 hour, 1 minute to get to the trig, so that should be easy to remember! I had a drink and a date to eat, and then set off back along the crater rim. The first part is a gentle downhill runable section, then at the col it climbed back up to the top station of the cable car, then a roach downhill u til you get back to the pipeline again. Which it is not possible to run down! So that’s a walk. Then back to the car for a cup of tea and some dried fruit.

Time out, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Fuel dates and water. Post run fuel, dried fruit and earl grey tea!
Katie

Ruff

Postby Chumly » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:42 am

Great job on the running! Are you incorporating rest days for recovery? I've always wanted to visit New Zealand and Australia. They both look like beautiful places to visit!

Michael
Chumly

Postby Ruff » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Hi Michael, thank you for dropping in. Yes, I’m on a rest day now! In fact the second in a row, as I have a sore hip.....but maybe the real reason is the horrible storm outside!

Day 6. 1.5 hours Aikido. Also heavy box lifting day.
Day 7. Rest
Day 8....today, probably another rest day. Horrible weather outside, southerly storm straight from Antartica, cold rain and snow....

I have never been to Australia! Well except transiting various airports, we really must go sometime. As for NZ....well it’s the most wonderful place on the planet (not that I’m biased of course!). But f you do visit, allow more time for the South Island than the north (again, I may be a little biased here....) And remember NZ roads are different. It takes longer to get from one place to another than you think.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Plumerias » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Ruff wrote:As for NZ....well it’s the most wonderful place on the planet (not that I’m biased of course!). But f you do visit, allow more time for the South Island than the north (again, I may be a little biased here....) And remember NZ roads are different. It takes longer to get from one place to another than you think.

Why please, with respect to the north versus south island? And why please, does it take longer to get from place to place? You drive on the "other" side of the road, correct?
Plumerias

Postby Ruff » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:14 pm

Plumerias wrote:
Ruff wrote:As for NZ....well it’s the most wonderful place on the planet (not that I’m biased of course!). But f you do visit, allow more time for the South Island than the north (again, I may be a little biased here....) And remember NZ roads are different. It takes longer to get from one place to another than you think.

Why please, with respect to the north versus south island? And why please, does it take longer to get from place to place? You drive on the "other" side of the road, correct?

Yes, we drive on the left :D

We have very few motorways or even dual carriageways. State Highway one is for most of its length 2 lanes, one going north and one going south. Drivers of slow vehicles are usually very good about pulling over when safe, to let other people pass, but even so one can be behind a slow vehicle for some time. Often drivers of motor caravans who are not used to our roads don’t realise this is necessary. Also the roads are often windy and steep....with stunning views. It is not always possible to travel at the maximum speed of 100km/hr. Some roads are gravel. Many of our bridges, even on State Highways are one lane only, they have a priority and you have to wait for the road to be clear right across the bridge. Some only allow one vehicle on the bridge at a time. One bridge on the South Island shares with the railroad. Trains get priority......

I live in the South Island so I might (possibly! :mrgreen: ) be a little biased! It’s the bigger island and we have everything from rain forests to glaciers, we have Mount Cook, and the Otago Peninsula and Fiordland. We have whales, and seals and dolphins and penguins. People may tell you that the North Island has great things too (and OK they do have a volcano :lol: ) but we are the MAINLAND and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Katie

Ruff

Postby sirdle » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:56 am

Ruff wrote:[I live in the South Island so I might (possibly! :mrgreen: ) be a little biased! It’s the bigger island and we have everything from rain forests to glaciers, we have Mount Cook, and the Otago Peninsula and Fiordland. We have whales, and seals and dolphins and penguins. People may tell you that the North Island has great things too (and OK they do have a volcano :lol: ) but we are the MAINLAND and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

So... would you say that someone could visit only the South Island and have a perfectly wonderful New Zealand trip?

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Ruff » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:14 pm

sirdle wrote:
Ruff wrote:[I live in the South Island so I might (possibly! :mrgreen: ) be a little biased! It’s the bigger island and we have everything from rain forests to glaciers, we have Mount Cook, and the Otago Peninsula and Fiordland. We have whales, and seals and dolphins and penguins. People may tell you that the North Island has great things too (and OK they do have a volcano :lol: ) but we are the MAINLAND and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

So... would you say that someone could visit only the South Island and have a perfectly wonderful New Zealand trip?

Cheers, :-P

Absolutely.....as long as you were not a city person. For wildlife and landscape we win. But we only have one real city and 2 tiny cities. And Christchurch is not at its best at the moment, but we are working on it. We do have an excellent museum and art gallery, but honestly if you are a city person than the North Island with Auckland and Wellington will be more your scene. But if you love wild deserted beaches, rain forest, glaciers, penguins, whales, and The Lord of The Rings Rohirrim, than yes, you can just do the South Island and have the most amazing trip.
Katie

Ruff

Postby sirdle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Ruff wrote:But if you love wild deserted beaches, rain forest, glaciers, penguins, whales, and The Lord of The Rings Rohirrim, than yes, you can just do the South Island and have the most amazing trip.

That's me! :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Plumerias » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Okay, so as long as curious travelers have hijacked your exercise log, when is the best time to visit your country, your island? We have the luxury of time, as we are retired. As I understand it, US citizens are permitted 90 days, with the proper visa paperwork. Thanks.
Plumerias

Postby Ruff » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:47 am

Plumerias wrote:Okay, so as long as curious travelers have hijacked your exercise log, when is the best time to visit your country, your island? We have the luxury of time, as we are retired. As I understand it, US citizens are permitted 90 days, with the proper visa paperwork. Thanks.

I’m so sorry, I missed this....I haven’t been here, life sort of got in the way, lots of stuff including my son getting appendicitis!

I will update the running log soon, but in answer to your question, February. It’s normally lovely weather, dry and warm (but you know weather....it can be anything!) and the school holidays are over so most kiwis have already had their holidays and things are quieter. The absolutely worst time is Christmas/New Year. Practically every Kiwi is on holiday and every campsite is full to bursting, and there is no accommodation anywhere.

As to how long one can stay, I have no idea, but I do know they have just brought in a new visa system, so you would need to check that.

Right, have to go again now, I am still running, but my sore foot is playing up. I’ll update tomorrow all being well.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:15 pm

This week has been a disaster for running. At Aikido on Monday, first someone rolled on my bad foot, then someone else stood on the toes of the bad foot, badly bruising them, and finally someone else knelt hard on my good foot. Both feet are now badly bruised. I’m using ice, arnica and antiflamme. So I haven’t run since the 15km hills last Saturday . I have been swimming this week though, and am doing 1km in the pool alternate days. If all goes well I’ll do a trail run on the beach tomorrow morning and see how the feet feel.

My big foot doctor appointment is on Monday.....I hope the bruises have gone down by then!
Katie

Ruff

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness