harvest supper with ordinary folks

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

harvest supper with ordinary folks

Postby KatherineUK » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:37 am

I'm really pleased that my local church has decided on potluck for the harvest supper this year (I won't be the only person who brings food this time) and I was wondering about recipes that have gone down well with non McDougall or vegan folks. I'm toying with nut roast (I'll only have a sliver of that but I think people generally like a nice nut roast as its sort of similar to stuffing) ... any thoughts?
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Re: harvest supper with ordinary folks

Postby Plumerias » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:14 am

What is nut roast please?
Plumerias

Postby KatherineUK » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:32 am

Plumerias wrote:What is nut roast please?

gosh - I don't know what they are called if not that ...its like a loaf but with a mix of nuts/veg with a binding agent.
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

KatherineUK

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:21 pm

So I googled it, and it is very much like an American meatloaf or lentil loaf (a roasted nut loaf is a rich and savoury vegetarian dish consisting of nuts, grains, broth ... and seasonings formed into a firm loaf shape or long casserole dish before roasting); sounds delicious! Would you mind sharing your recipe? Sounds like it would travel well, I'm not sure if taking a soup or stew would work well, unless you have a crockpot with one of the sealing-type lids. If so, for fall I would suggest maybe a squash soup or bean soup/chili. A salad (like bean, or bulgar wheat, or quinoa) might work well too. For an indulgent treat I like black bean brownies (they are easy too!): https://happyherbivore.com/recipe/vegan ... -brownies/.
ch47gunnergirl

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:50 pm

I made a double batch of this lentil loaf earlier this week and we’ve all been enjoying it, children included. It cooks well in advance and would travel well, too. Not sure how common BBQ sauce is across the pond (I use store bought because I was not a big fan of the one in the recipe itself), but I’ve also made the loaf using tomato sauce for the loaf and topped it with a combo of 2 tbsp ketchup mixed with 2 tbsp brown sugar. That gives it a more neutral flavor, like regular meat loaf, so you can add in whatever herbs and spices you enjoy.

Vegan 8 BBQ Lentil Loaf
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby KatherineUK » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:09 am

This is a McDougallised version of a Rose Elliott recipe. (Well slightly as so many nuts aren't really a good idea. I only make it at Christmas usually because I like to have something very special).

Hope this makes sense

pine-nut loaf with herb stuffing.

Ingredients:

1 small onion, peeled and chopped small
Stock or water to sauté onion
1/2 pound pine nuts or a mixture of pine nuts, almonds and cashews, chopped
4 tablespoons non dairy milk
2 cups white bread crumbs (I use white sourdough made with no oil or homemade)
egg replacer – equivalent of 2 eggs(use flax seed or commercial “no-egg”)
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
lots of grated nutmeg

For the stuffing layer:
3 cups brown bread crumbs
grated rind and juice of 1/2 small lemon
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
4 heaped tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Egg replacer (or flax) – equivalent to one egg
(dried herbs is fine if necessary)

Garnish (optional but looks nice)
2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly dry roasted
parsley springs
lemon slices

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8x4 inch non-stick loaf pan with a long strip of waxed paper, or cooking parchment to cover the narrow sides and bottom of the pan; grease and sprinkle with dry bread crumbs -- this helps the loaf to come out of the pan cleanly.
(or silicone)

Sauté the onion for 10 minutes in the stock or water, until soft.

Take the saucepan off the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes or so then mix with the rest of the ingredients, season well with salt, pepper, and grated nutmeg.

Next make the stuffing layer by mixing all the ingredients together and seasoning well.

To assemble the loaf, first spoon half the white nut mixture into the prepared pan. I press down quite firmly. Then, with your hands, press in a layer of stuffing mixture, then add the remainder of the white nut mix to make the three layers

Smooth surface and cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.

Remove the foil and have a look at the nut loaf; if you think it needs to be a bit browner on top, pop it back into the oven, uncovered, for a further 10-15 minutes. If possible, let the loaf stand for a while (5-10mins?) after you take it out of the oven -- this helps it to "settle" and come out of the pan more easily. Then slip a knife down the sides of the loaf, turn it out of the pan onto a warmed serving dish and strip off the piece of paper. Garnish with the roasted nuts, parsley and lemon.

Delicious cold.

When I made this with greaseproof paper it always stuck to the paper so I'm looking forward to baking it in silicone this year.

Kx

KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:10 am

Lyndzie wrote:I made a double batch of this lentil loaf earlier this week and we’ve all been enjoying it, children included. It cooks well in advance and would travel well, too. Not sure how common BBQ sauce is across the pond (I use store bought because I was not a big fan of the one in the recipe itself), but I’ve also made the loaf using tomato sauce for the loaf and topped it with a combo of 2 tbsp ketchup mixed with 2 tbsp brown sugar. That gives it a more neutral flavor, like regular meat loaf, so you can add in whatever herbs and spices you enjoy.

Vegan 8 BBQ Lentil Loaf

Looks wonderful Lyndzie!

KatherineUK

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Katherine, thank you for the nut loaf recipe! That might be our Christmas dinner this year :D
ch47gunnergirl

Postby KatherineUK » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:44 pm

ch47gunnergirl wrote:Katherine, thank you for the nut loaf recipe! That might be our Christmas dinner this year :D

In the original recipe she fries the onions AND the breadcrumbs. The lemony layer in the middle is unusual and very delish. Good luck!

KatherineUK

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning