June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Zoey » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:18 am

I used to be bummed about being in the pound-a-week club, but I got over that instantly with a ZERO loss for last week's weigh in.
Today, I'm back in the club, exactly one pound down. I welcome it!

Beginning of June 155.4
Today 154.4

I've been really proud of myself for no longer mindlessly eating fruit. I gave that summer fruit my full attention this week, savored every bite, and stopped when I was full.

So now I'm easily in tune with 9 out of the 10.

Next challenge: stop drinking calories! Up to now, I've been cutting back on the wine, diluting it with sparkling water, or having fruit juice instead, also with sparkling water. Now that I'm down to one point, I'll hopefully be able to give it laser focus and do better.
I've also been toying with the idea of weighing every day. That might keep me from getting lazy at night, knowing I have to face the numbers the next morning.

I'm going back to read everyone's successes and challenges now! :-D
Zoey

Postby courtneywagasky » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:36 am

06/06: 123.2
06/13: 123.0
06/19: 123.6

Change This Week: +0.6 lb

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 4/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, choose fruit for dessert. 7/7
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. 6/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods. 7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 5/7
6. Eliminate any added oil. 5/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 4/7
8. Don't drink your calories. 7/7
9. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 7/7
10. Aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. 7/7

I'm discouraged to see an uptick this week. It wasn't as great as I thought it would be. And I'm frustrated with myself. I won't hit my goal of 120 by the end of June.. I think this is my first weight gain in a weigh in, at least in a while.
My goal for this upcoming week is to really listen for hunger cues again. If I'm really not hungry then I'm not going to mindlessly eat or eat for the sake of eating. I'm going to use the food as fuel. All I can do is move forward!
Last edited by courtneywagasky on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
courtneywagasky

Postby goal140 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:52 am

Good morning,

I was down on myself last week because I binged out on sourdough bread, so I didn’t post my weight gain. I went from 165.4 to 167.8, a gain of 2.4 lbs. I’m not sure which weight I should post, so I will post what I weighed a week ago.

Last week: 167.8
This morning:164.4
Maybe the weight gain was some kind of fluke. My last post, two weeks ago and I weighed 165.4, which means a gain of 2.4 pounds last week and a net loss of 1 pound at today’s weigh in.

Compliance is still an issue with me, as bread is addicting for me.
I’ve been better at the 50/50 ratio of veggies to starch. I’ve been more mindful of chewing my food to a cream. I’ve been exercising more on my rebounder, it’s kind of fun!
goal140

Postby JaBee » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:08 am

Down .4 this week, still struggled with #9 and used some salt product this week otherwise compliant week
JaBee

Postby Ejg » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:35 am

Starting weight: 203.5
Last week: 198.0
This week: 198.4
week over week change: +0.4

This is not entirely a surprise. I found myself really hungry this week and instead of starting out with a salad, or taking the time to steam some green vegetables, I opted immediately for the rice and beans. Also cherries and mangoes are cheap and plentiful right now and I have been taking full advantage. Hence no loss this week, and a slight gain.
Though it feels malevolent, resistance operates with the indifference of rain and transits the heavens by the same laws as the stars. When we marshal our forces to combat resistance, we must remember this.
Ejg

Postby Lakegirl » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:43 am

May 8: -1.5 lbs
May 15: -2.0 lbs
May 22: -2.3 lbs
June 6: -1.4 lbs
June 13: -1.5 lbs
June 20: -0.3 lb

Hello Mark and all,

Well....I"d call this week a wash. Was doing my regular thing...feeling more like a routine, and then Bam! I hauled off and had a few desserts. I would say sugar is my undoing, and boy...if its around - ostensibly for "other people"...well, who am I kidding? The good thing is, I realized I just have to have my meals regularly, and just as prescribed. Those meals really are filling, delicious....and I don't give in when I've had a decent size 50/50 plate. I know this in my head, but it is not yet in my bod, and not automatic. In both cases I had not had enough of "my" food. OK. more practice needed! I am finding it pretty easy to get back on track, but these mess-ups do show up on the scale.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 5/7. Up from last week...could do better though.
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method; choose fruit for desert. 5/7. Better, but needs to become a habit. Enjoying fruit in moderation.
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. salt: 5/7 Sugar: not so good.
4) Eliminate all animal foods. 5/7 (in the off-plan desserts - ditto for salt)
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 5/7. Nuts in dessert.
6) Eliminate any added oil. 5/7
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 5/7
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. 7/7. Drinking a lot of water, my favorite.
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 5/7
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. Better. 7/7

Interesting....moderate activity most of the day, actually, all 7 days. But...you can't out-activity your diet!!

I'm glad to post this week. It's clear what I need to do to do better next week!

Lakegirl

Food prep tips: I'm now a real butter bean fan, and finally received some no-salt ones via online. So good. I had been using regular ones from my local grocery, rinsing them about 3 times and then soaking for a bit before using. I honestly couldn't tell much difference between the no salt and the rinsed regular beans. Thoughts?

Question: we all know sugar/salt/oil are addicting...do you find just having a regular 50/50 meal for your next meal is the best remedy for getting back on track? I find myself just not as hungry after a mess up, so I don't eat much for awhile to wait until I am truly hungry. But this also can set one up for more mess ups in the future if you allow yourself to get too hungry. Update: just read a number of posts from the past few weeks, and see that Jeff has already answered this. Get back to 50/50 at your regular meal time, and do not undereat or eat only veggies or fast or whatever. 50/50 is the way to go. Thanks. I need to read all these posts...like, more often and not just weekly. They are just so helpful. That is now on my list for this week.

Wild goose: Chilling potatoes before baking or air frying does improve the fries - was such a nice treat. Thank you!
Last edited by Lakegirl on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lakegirl

Postby laurag » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi there 138 so minus 2 lbs I think from last low weigh in
So still need to work on not drinking calories I had some wine not too much compared to before I found an almond milk frappachino in bottle So I will try to not have that again

Adding some salad or veggies before 50/50 needs some work

Very excited about the under 40 part! Just trying to stick with fruit after dinner and the fast food Novak if hungry after dinner and keep up walking yoga
laurag

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Judy_Bell - Would it be helpful to look at things this way - you do have some agency over giving yourself the best chance at consistent, healthy weight loss over time, by doing your very best to employ the behaviors recommended by the MWL 10-Point Checklist, right? I've seen some "mayo" type recipes with white beans substituted for cashews, obviously that wouldn't be as rich tasting, but could be a possible adjustment. I would think that the primary concern with canned green jackfruit could be added salt, as it is often canned in brine. I would certainly agree that reaching for some fruit when you want a snack is a better choice than turning to more troublesome foods; Jeff points out another possible option here -
JeffN wrote:However, vegetables would be a better choice and/or a meal of 50% starch and 50% vegetables (and/or fruit) by volume. A meal of 50% starch and 50% vegetables by volume would have a very low calorie density. So, a bowl of 50% oatmeal and 50% berries by volume or a bowl of 50% rice and 50% veggies by volume may be the better choice. You get the starch to help satisfy you and the fruit and/or veggies to help lower the calorie density.

Belana - It seems likely that your rate of weight loss could be pretty gradual, given the weight from which you are starting; the checklist can point you toward where to direct you efforts at further changes for achieving a calorie deficit.
Belana wrote:Eating this way is definitely going to be lifelong for me. I just don't feel good if I'm not eating like this.
Athletically, it does benefit me to eat this way.
My feelings exactly!!

pootsy - I'm so sorry you are suffering with back pain! I'm sure that does make for a difficult, stressful time. You appear to be approaching the situation with great aplomb - it is clear that the efforts you put into supporting your adherence helped, you had that Longevity "stew" at the ready, and kept the MWL 10-Point Checklist at the forefront of your attention. I hope your recovery is smooth and easy. :)

taymariekay - You are the best judge of the changes in behavior you're willing and able to work toward achieving; if MWL fits your current goals and the effort required feels worth the benefits, then I'm very glad you've decided to stay. :) You are succeeding with half the points already, which is great; your self-assessment with the checklist highlights the areas where greater focus might better support your efforts. Do you prefer the taste of coconut aminos to regular salt? It's just coconut sap with salt added, right? Could a sprinkle of salt on the surface of your food serve the same purpose? Coconut aminos are allowable as a condiment, but of course the same guidelines apply as for any added salt / sugar.

Zoey - Woo-hoo! Pound-a-week club! It is delightful you're feeling that your efforts are paying off, succeeding at something one has deemed important is always a proud moment. 9/10 "tuned in," with one target for that "laser focus." Do you have a strategy for stopping drinking those calories? The general recommendation for group participants is to weigh yourself once a week, for all the reasons Jeff discusses here.
JeffN wrote:If you are trying to lose weight, I suggest that you weigh yourself once a week.
. . .
The reason that I suggest weighing yourself once a week (and not more often) if you are trying to lose weight is there are many things that can contribute to daily weight fluctuations, including changes in glycogen, water, fiber, stools and salt. Seeing those fluctuations when they go up can be discouraging. If you are someone who wants to weigh yourself every day, don’t focus on the daily weight number. Use a rolling average, which will help smooth out any daily fluctuations.
Could a bedtime check-in with the MWL 10-Point Checklist serve the same motivating purpose for avoiding "getting lazy?"

courtneywagasky - I think it's understandable to feel discouraged when a goal we have deemed important seems out of reach. What would happen if you hit that goal in the middle or end of July, instead? How might you feel? Is there something significant attached to achieving that specific weight within a specific time frame vs. doing your very best and arriving there somewhat later? The best thing you can do to support achieving your goals is to consistently practice the behaviors outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist. Is it unreasonable to think that the inclusion of higher fat plant foods, added oil, and calorie dense foods are more likely to be hindering your efforts than a precise, granular assessment of hunger cues? When you feel you are eating mindlessly, what sorts of foods are you choosing to eat? As you said, all you can do is move forward, and taking a moment to consider these questions could possibly provide reassurance in that direction. :)

goal140 - I'm glad you are back posting! I know it can be understandably difficult to report disappointing results, but I would very much encourage all participants to post a report (if you feel at all able to do so), no matter whether it reflects favorably on the week or not; I think consistently assessing our behavior pattern is helpful. If omitting bread is your primary opportunity highlighted by the checklist, and bread feels addicting, would it be impossible to remove bread from your immediate environment? Or at minimum put in place some significant obstacles? Rebounding sounds very fun to me!

JaBee - Kudos! That sounds like a pretty successful week to me! Were you adding salt in excess of the guidelines?

Ejg - Sounds like you have some ideas of where to direct your focus heading into next week; if you're excelling at the other 8 points from the checklist, you are in a great position, and the 50/50 plate with a preload will serve to lower the overall calorie density of your meals, while optimizing satiety. :thumbsup:

Lakegirl - I think you've captured some excellent lessons from a challenging week! Try not to beat yourself up over a single weigh-in result, recognizing these slip-ups when they occur, getting back on track, and enacting methods for preventing the same slip-up from recurring in the future is part of the process of making this work.
Lakegirl wrote:The good thing is, I realized I just have to have my meals regularly, and just as prescribed. Those meals really are filling, delicious....and I don't give in when I've had a decent size 50/50 plate. I know this in my head, but it is not yet in my bod, and not automatic. In both cases I had not had enough of "my" food. OK. more practice needed!
That realization is invaluable! And more practice is exactly the correct prescription. If you want to make things really easy on yourself, would it be impossible to entirely remove those troublesome, tempting sweets from your environment?
Lakegirl wrote:I'm glad to post this week. It's clear what I need to do to do better next week!
That's how it is supposed to work! :D The no-salt added beans are the better choice, whether the difference is noticeable to the palate or not. Just FYI, on the off chance that you don't know already, butter beans are the same as lima beans, so you might often find them labelled that way in stores as well. I've usually been able to find dried lima beans in the average grocery with the other dried pulses, which is another option (requires cooking them, of course; I use my Instant Pot for that).

laurag - "Under 40" is very exciting, I'm sure! :nod: You've put some great practices in place keeping active, choosing fruit for dessert, and using Jeff's Fast Food recipes to satisfy your hunger. :thumbsup: The next step is to give similar attention to the remaining areas where you have some opportunities. What should you do to "set yourself up" to assemble adherent 50/50 meals? What things can you do to make it impossible to drink your calories?
Mark Cooper

Postby Lucas » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:47 pm

4/27/20: 203.2
5/1/20: 201.8
5/8/20: 200.0
5/15/20: 198.6
5/22/20: 197.8
5/29/20: 196.0
6/5/20 : 193.8
6/12/20: 192.8
1/19/20: 192.6
Change: - .2

Hi everyone,

Okay, so this past week lets just say I didn't follow through on my goals for the week. Pretty much a repeat of the previous week, 2, 9, and 10. So disappointed in my little loss. Most days I ate only lunch and dinner so I was thinking that would more than compensate for not eating on the missed checkpoints. Anyway, I know what needs to be done. Now I just need to execute. I really think the lack of exercise has slowed my loss but prob a combination of them all. Making this one a short one, just got back home.

Hope everyone has a great week.
:)
Lucas

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi Lucas! Intentionally restricting when and how much we eat is rarely an effective strategy to compensate for troublesome food choices that raise the overall calorie density of our diet; I'm not sure whether that came into the picture for you this week, but hunger is the best cue for when and how often to eat on any given day. As you said, you know what you can do, and which behaviors to execute to support your overall efforts. Don't put too much stock in any single weigh-in result, keep doing your best, aiming to improve where you can, and give yourself time. :) You missed the window for reporting this week, but I'm glad you are still along for the journey with us.
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cooper

Re: Weigh-In Report Compilation - June 19, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:19 pm

By my count, 30 participants reported for our third June 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the third Friday in June:

Week ending 6/19/2020: 30 participants reported a total loss of -22.70 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Chaz01 +2.40
Ren1999 +1.40
Courtneywagasky +0.60
Ejg +0.40
Total gains: +4.80
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Abe 0.00
Moonlight 0.00
Pootsy 0.00
Rlechols 0.00
Hope410 -0.20
Josietheschnauzer -0.20
Abible -0.30
Lakegirl -0.30
Belana -0.40
JaBee -0.40
Jan_npr -0.40
Taymariekay -0.50
AnnetteW -1.00
Lmggallagher -1.00
Noella -1.00
Zoey -1.00
Kirstykay -1.10
Sue Ancora-imparo -1.20
Carwex -1.30
Judy_Bell -1.50
Laurag -2.00
Miss Kim -2.00
Wstokes -2.20
NateKruse -3.00
Tian-De -3.10
Goal140 -3.40
Total losses: -27.50
Cumulative group loss for June 2020 to date: 98.23 pounds
Average loss for week ending June 19: 0.76 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: 96.60 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2020: 60.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2020: 218.00 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2020: 191.50 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, June 26, 2020.

My thanks and appreciation to all who chose to participate this week! You deserve to take pride in your continuing efforts to make these significant lifestyle changes.

To address the earlier discussion regarding the purpose and direction of the MWL Weigh-In Group, as Jeff posted -
JeffN wrote:Just a reminder, there is only one requirement to join this thread, and that is that you follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss program as defined by the two links below.

MWL Guidelines
MWL guidelines

10 Point Checklist
MWL 10-Point Checklist
JeffN wrote:We know that not every day will be perfect but planning to not eat or to eat off plan is not part of the MWL program.
JeffN wrote:We only ask you do your best, not perfection.
To reiterate, we don't expect perfection, because making these changes in behavior is extremely difficult; the direction of participation for the group is important - are you willing to make an honest attempt to follow the guidelines as intended, and keep trying to work toward improvements when you are struggling? If so, you are in the right place, no matter what your starting point is, and how much (or little) success you may feel you're having at the moment. Intentionally planning NOT to follow the guidelines, or not attempting to make changes when appropriate, however, doesn't serve the individual participant well, nor is it good for the group as a whole.

Just because you are struggling, doesn't mean you are "broken" or something is wrong with you! These are HARD changes to make and, especially in the beginning, they might not feel very good at all.
JeffN wrote:As Dr Lisle says, part of the problem is that when in the pleasure trap, doing the wrong thing feels so good and doing the right thing doesn't feel good." Even when one finds success, exposure to the Pleasure Trap can very easily put someone right back there.

We live in a very toxic food environment where there is very little social and environmental support for what we do. This is not always easy for everyone to deal successfully with.
I think people tend to underestimate how much that toxic food environment is stacked against all of us. The convenience stores, groceries and restaurants are replete with calorie rich, ultra-processed, unhealthy "foods," supported by an unceasing (and increasingly targeted) advertising machine. Untold dollars and resources are expended devising and presenting more and more insidious "food traps" to ensnare us. No wonder it's a struggle! The problem isn't you! As Dr. McDougall would say, "It's the food!" Taking all that into account, it seems essential that we stack the deck in our favor. The people who are able to successfully practice this WOE long-term, the people who make adherence "look easy" have actually invested enormous amounts of time and effort to shift the balance to be as much in their favor as possible. They have a plan for how to succeed, tested by trial and error, time and effort. To paraphrase Jeff, "things may not always turn out the way we planned, but we increase our odds of success by planning to succeed." If we take it as a given that we can't be successful, or don't try, we are planning to fail. This lifestyle only starts to feel "easy" after all that work has been put into making it so. Don't fault yourself when this is hard, but don't fool yourself into thinking it will ever get easy without putting in A GREAT DEAL of work.

I would humbly submit that many who believe that MWL is significantly more restrictive than the regular McDougall program, are perhaps misunderstanding the boundaries and recommendations of the standard McDougall Diet. If one compares the MWL 10-Point Checklist to the 10-Point Checklist for the McDougall Program, they are remarkably similar. The differences for which the McDougall Program allows are meals comprising up to 90% minimally processed starches, and the allowances for LIMITED amounts of calorie dense foods and LIMITED amounts of higher fat plant foods. (Additionally, it omits the recommendation to begin meals with soup and/or salad and/or fruit.) So one must ask themselves, based on an honest appraisal of past history, current status, and health and weight loss goals, am I likely to be able to include limited amounts of these foods without making things harder on myself, or am I more likely to overeat these foods? What has typically happened in the past?
JeffN wrote:People struggle to achieve their goals and when they take a close look at their diet, they see, there are too many foods that may be allowed but not ideal.

That is why many can't find success till they go on the MWL program (or some other stricter version of the program). The MWL is pretty black and white about what is allowed. There are no exceptions to it either. The regular program has a lot of gray area. And, for many, the little becomes a lot.
JeffN wrote:Know thyself.

As this study shows, for many of us, it is that occasional lapse on a "forbidden food" that is going to start the downward spiral.

Looking at the full study, it was forbidden foods, usually consumed at home, usually in the evening, usually on the weekend. So, to be successful, we have to keep our home and our environment a safe place and to avoid feeling deprived, which we can do by eating when we are hungry until we are comfortably full of the approved foods.

As the old saying goes, "out of sight, out of mind." For many of us it is also, "in the house, in the mouth."
I'm not saying one particular path is right or wrong, but rather it will be most productive to decide what is attainable for you at present, and work assiduously toward achieving the changes that are appropriate.

The lengthy thread on Compliance on a Healthy Diet provides a fuller picture of important ways one can set themselves up for success. Near the end of that thread, Jeff provides some valuable recommendations.
JeffN wrote:I had 3 Q&A Sessions and this topic came up in each one, especially in the last one. I reviewed most of the things in this thread with the group but they still wanted to know what were the 3 most important things I recommended for their best chance at success.

Here they are...

For the first 6 months to a year....

1) Simplicity

Keep this as simple as possible and resist every influence to make this complicated. You don't need 5 versions of oatmeal, and 15 dinners, and fancy pots, pans, utensils, etc. Just use what you already have and keep it simple. Oats, fruit, rice, beans, veggies. They dont have to be organic, Non GMO, fair traded, imported, etc. Eat sweet potatoes, not imported Japanese Satsumas. They can be fresh, frozen, canned, etc, whichever makes it easiest. You just need oatmeal, brown rice (Starch), beans and a few veggies and fruits you like.

2) Focus

First, on this program

You invested a huge amount of money, time, effort and energy in Dr McDougall, his program and his staff. Trust your decision and the process. For the next 6 months to a year, if you have a question, ask Dr McDougall, Mary, Doug, Alec or me. We are all accessible. If you need a recipe, Mary has about 4000, if you have a question, most of them are answered in the forum or our hot topics. If you need reading material for support, we have a dozen books, 100's of newsletter and articles and videos going back about 30 years. Read the Hot Topics and this website and my forum and the Education material at the website and the FAQ here in my forum. When done, re-read them. If you need, email us, we are all responsive.

It is not that others WFPB Health Professionals are wrong, it is just that there are some slight differences between them all and you are just going to get confused. I would tell you the same thing if you picked one of the others but you are all here and made this choice. And, there are many WFPB "experts" that have little to no clinical and patient experience but you may not be able to know that about them. You are spending this week with a bona fide, licensed, credentialed professional team that each has over 25 years of direct clinical experience helping people. Get the most out of your investment.

Second, on yourself.

Until you have put the time in over the next few months and understood the program and been able to achieve and maintain your own success, keep the focus and attention on yourself. Do not worry about telling your spouse, your parents, your daughter in law, your cousins, your neighbor, your hairdresser, the local school, your church group, the food industry, the USDA, the FDA, the FTC, your doctor, the neighbors kid, etc etc or anyone else about the program or trying to get them to do it. Keep the focus on yourself, understanding and implementing the program and getting yourself well. We are not asking you to become a evangelist or preacher of this way of life or to try and convert anyone. We are only trying to help you take care of yourself.

This is not selfish, this is self nurturing and right now, you need all your focus and attention on you.

3) Avoid the vegan trap

Fully explained in this thread...

When Vegan is not Enough

As predicted, vegan is now a trend, and while this is a good thing for the animals and possibly the environment, for most of us, this is bad news as most of the vegan food in grocery stores and restaurants is not healthy. The Pleasure Trap appeal of this food is very very strong and hard to resist.

However, no one has ever come to the 10-Day program to save the animals or save the environment. They made the huge investment of time, money, energy and effort for one (and only one) main reason, their health is suffering. And, almost always, this is a major health issue and not a minor one. They come to my classes with the primary goal of learning how to address, treat and reverse their health issue through diet and lifestyle, not to be a vegan.

Don't mix them up.

This has turned into a lengthy post, but let me finish with the reminder to eat when you are hungry.
JeffN wrote:When hungry (regardless of whether you may think it is true hunger, appetite, or something else) just eat. Eat of the recommended foods as outlined in the 10 point checklist.

Over time, it will work itself out.
It should not require Holmesian levels of attention to know when you are full. Do you feel uncomfortable? Are you stuffed? If you overshoot the mark, take note and do your best to slightly adjust next time, but don't spend energy fretting and beating yourself up over that - if you stuffed yourself on MWL suitable foods, the calorie density was low and it seems unlikely that you will be continuously stuffing yourself at each meal, each day, on an ongoing basis. Don't overvalue the importance of these episodes, or think you need to perfectly manage hunger cues, as compared to the impact from including troublesome foods in your menu or planning not to adhere on a consistent (or occasional) basis. If you are over consuming problematic foods, the problem isn't your appetite, it's the food, and you can direct your efforts accordingly.

I wish you all the very best! It's my privilege to participate in this group and I'm very grateful to have you here. Have a fantastic week to come!
Mark Cooper

Postby Zoey » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 am

Mark Cooper wrote:
Zoey - Woo-hoo! Pound-a-week club! It is delightful you're feeling that your efforts are paying off, succeeding at something one has deemed important is always a proud moment. 9/10 "tuned in," with one target for that "laser focus." Do you have a strategy for stopping drinking those calories?

Oh Mark, I love how you can ask the simplest question that just throws me for a loop! Of course I have no strategy other than, "Zoey, stop doing that." haha
But since you've made me think about it, then I think my approach will be the same as it was with all the other guidelines. My behaviors, both good and bad, really center around habits.
For example, my fruit breakfasts have been a habit for years. When I recently took a moment to stop and ask myself if I was really hungry, the answer was almost always NO. I made that conscious decision to break the habit, and only eat when I'm hungry.
I see the same behavior with my wine or sparkling fruit juice in the afternoons/evenings. It's my routine. It's just what I do. The challenge will be finding a substitute. It's the way I wind down from the day, and I don't know how else to wind down. I've tried picking up my guitar, but that gets me kind of cranked up. I'm not crafty, so that rules lots of options out.
I've done fine the past few nights with just limiting myself to a glass full of sparkling water with a splash of wine. I sleep better and feel better in the morning, of course. This might work permanently, because I feel the benefits. Or it might just be part of the work in progress. I'll keep you posted, and I appreciate you making me think hard about it. :nod:
Zoey

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Zoey - Maybe a splash of lemon or lime, or a slice or two of either, might work as a transition, for flavoring the sparkling water?
Mark Cooper

Postby Zoey » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:57 am

Mark Cooper wrote:Zoey - Maybe a splash of lemon or lime, or a slice or two of either, might work as a transition, for flavoring the sparkling water?

I happen to have both in the house, so we'll see!
Zoey

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:15 pm

Congratulations and best wishes to everyone this week!

On hunger...

The fundamental basic principle of the MWL Program and the principles of calorie density is "whenever hungry, eat until comfortably full of the recommended foods." Because of this, there is no reason for anyone to feel hungry when following our guidelines. The recommended foods are minimally processed starches, fruits and vegetables. The most satiety, short term and long term comes from minimally processed starches and to keep the calorie density low, have them with some non-starchy vegetables. Remember, we do not have to figure out if it is true hunger, appetite, craving, etc. However, to be successful, you have to prepare for success and make sure you have availability of minimally processed starches throughout the day.

At the 10-Day program, the snack room is full of veggies (cherry tomatoes, baby carrots), fruits (apples, oranges) and starches (regular hummus, roasted red pepper hummus, potatoes, Split pea soup, Black bean soup, and Lentil Couscous soup). People choose from both the starches and fruits/vegetables. Choosing just vegetables or fruit will not be enough for most people to feel satiated. if you experience cravings for unhealthy foods, you can beat these cravings by choosing healthy foods to eat and knowing that these cravings will eventually pass and stop. However, you can not beat your biology (hunger) and your biology/hunger will eventually win.

Have a great week!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program