July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:17 pm

wolffie wrote:Hi everybody. I hope you all are well and enjoying the holiday. I have a question about the MWL rules. I know flour is a no-no, but would corn tortillas be acceptable?

Corn tortillas are relatively calorie dense at ~1000 calories / lb; they are not recommended for MWL.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for July 3 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:21 pm

KarenMWL - No problem! That excitement can be your fuel for continuing progress from day to day! This is a list of slightly more exotic fruits and non-starchy vegetables, that might also prove useful.

mwl36 - Welcome to the group! Like you, I spent many years as a vegan / vegetarian, but it wasn't until I was introduced to this way of eating that I was able to achieve and maintain a stable, healthy weight and effectively support my ongoing health goals. Cheers to a "new beginning!"

GreenGables - Hopefully you saw the previous response from wildgoose and myself, but I just want to confirm for everyone that your oven fries as described are suitable for MWL.
JeffN wrote:If you are making them into "thick" chips like my chubby chips, or making them into thick fries, like my baked potato "steak" fries/wedges, then they are 100% fine. The outside gets golden brown and the inside is still soft and fluffy. They have some outer crispness but you can't "Snap" them like you would do a potato chip. In other words, if you hold a regular potato chip, and bend it, it will break in half with a SNAP. That is the real concern, are the as thin and crisp as a potato chip.

If you are making them into very thinly sliced potato chips, where they are 100% crips with no soft inside, then they are just going to be fairly calorie dense. My guess is, you are not making "fries" into paper thin slices and they are fine.

Kasie - I'm glad you've decide to join in! When following the MWL recommendations it is important to be sure to eat whenever you are hungry; the behaviors from the MWL 10-Point Checklist provide for an overall calorie dilute dietary pattern, so you can eat until you are satiated as often as needed. Not letting yourself go hungry or become overly hungry can be a key component to resisting cravings for troublesome foods. Do the best you can, knowing that setbacks can be a chance to learn where our practice needs greater attention.

Precursoragirl - Welcome! The behaviors outlined in the MWL guidelines offer the best method for taking control of one's weight and health, so you are in the right place. It can feel so frustrating struggling against the pull of the harmful food environment surrounding us, but weight loss is an outcome based on behaviors - if you change the behaviors, the outcome changes, as well.

HealthyMe! - A way of eating based on minimally processed starches, supplemented with fruits and non-starchy vegetables, low in added sugars and salt, supported by adequate activity, and sustained over time is indeed an excellent way to support one's health. It sounds like you have some powerful reasons for making a change, I'm so pleased the invitation came at a fortuitous time!

vegyluvver - It is exciting, isn't it!

hollyhock - Yep, you are in the group as of July 1st! :)

alidampush - Welcome!

Cathy Ann - I always find it amazing and inspiring that we have participants on the other side of the planet! That is so great! I appreciate you converting to lbs, so that all the reports are in the same measure. You are so right that the clear, "black and white," evidence-supported behaviors described in the MWL 10-Point Checklist offer the most solid path to results. Start with whatever form of exercise feels achievable for you - walking can be a great addition to your daily routine; getting the food right will make the biggest difference.

carwex - Kudos for your continued progress, and especially for your diligent efforts! Thanks for sharing your experience with the group.
carwex wrote:Don't worry about the slips. To be expected if you like to eat like I do. It's not the slips that matter it's how fast you pick yourself up and get back on the path.
Excellent advice! :D

MandyF - It appears your first week practicing MWL went very smoothly, well done! Like you, I typically only eat 2 meals each day; whatever frequency of meals works, and supports following the recommended eating behaviors is fine. I'm thrilled you are feeling better already!

PonysPlants - Congratulations on your progress! Your thorough assessment with the checklist shows an excellent start, and lays out a roadmap for steady progress. Keep at it. :D

Abe - I want to applaud your continuing diligent attention to the guidelines! Weight loss can often occur in these fits and starts, with a drop that seems to come "out of nowhere," (that was often the case for me when I was in that phase). Whatever that new scale shows, you know that focusing on the important behaviors will keep you proceeding to your goal. :thumbsup:

LesleyMills - One week at a time, focusing on the MWL 10-Point Checklist and making those behaviors your goal is exactly the right approach. Just want to confirm that oatmeal (or steel-cut oats, or oat groats) with fruit is perfectly suitable for a main course at breakfast, so if you love your oatmeal and berries, no need to change that. Here's some information on coffee. Do your best, tackling those things that feel attainable, and aim for ongoing improvement.

Wfpb2020 - You are off to an excellent start! Way to go! :D

Cottage024 - Hi, Kelly! Jeff's meals are an excellent solution; be sure to eat whenever you feel hungry.

Summer20 - Welcome! The pattern of behavior delivers the outcomes, so today is a GREAT time to get started putting the MWL guidelines into action.

Mmcg0306 - Great is a wonderful way to feel! Calorie-rich processed foods frequently play a role in our weight starting to creep upwards. Way to go getting back on track, it seems your first week went really well! Nice work omitting those higher fat plant foods and bread, it can feel tough at first but the longer your period of refraining from those foods, the less pull they will exert. Keep it up!

Joanne_elon - Best wishes, Joanne! Put that excitement into action with the MWL 10-Point Checklist!

goal140 - Doing great for the entire week, apart from a single night of non adherent behavior, is something worth noting. Was that one night different in some way from the rest of the week? Were you overly hungry? Is it possible to put in place some hurdles that make it more difficult to reach for troublesome foods (or remove those specific items entirely)?

NatalieJ - Hi! Be sure to review all the guidance in the introduction.

philmwl - Consider your interest to be officially registered! :D Today seems like an excellent time to get started practicing the behaviors that will secure the outcome you seek.

sdfraser99 - Thinking of this as a change in lifestyle is a valuable frame! The behaviors outlined in the MWL guidelines are the best approach to get the weight off safely and sustainably.

Judyk53716 - Welcome! The next step is to get started acting in accordance with the MWL 10-Point Checklist, as simple as that is to say, it isn't easy to do - but it is worth it. :)

Adriana - It sounds like you have made a really great start! I'm delighted that you are happy and feeling proud of yourself! You should! :nod:

AnnetteW - That seems like a pretty solid week! You know from the checklist the areas upon which to focus for further progress. I know when I start feeling "bored," it is usually a signal that I should include more starch in my day and those other adherent foods that I most enjoy; I'm not sure whether that seems applicable to your situation, but thought I would share. Best of luck with all your guests - enjoy the camaraderie!

Dennis h - It is never too late to take action, Dennis! Today seems like an excellent time to begin.

pootsy - I'm glad July got off to a good start for you! It is SO true that reading those labels closely is a must! Your recipe file sounds like a great tool! Keep on forging ahead!

GenevieveJohnson - Awesome! You're off to a great start! Regarding salt (and sugar)
JeffN wrote:In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out.
So if a sprinkle of salt at the table helps you enjoy those vegetables, that is fine. Here are a couple of possible dressing options: Citrus Dressing and Tarragon Dressing. Jeff's favorite dressing is great.
JeffN wrote:My favorite salad dressing recipe - Creamy Garlic Dill Dressing

1 Can Eden Foods No Salt Added Butter Beans, drained (save the drained bean liquid).
4 (-6) Tbsp bean liquid
2 (-3) Tbsp plain vinegar or balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
1/2 (-1) tsp garlic powder
1/2 (-1) tsp dried dill weed

Blend in food processor or blender till creamy.

Adjust the amount of bean water & vinegar/lemon juice to the consistency you like.

Adjust the amount of garlic & dill to the flavor you like.

Any white bean will work but I find butter beans make the creamiest dressing.

I also use this on baked potatoes!

Enjoy!

In Health
Jeff

P.S. 1 can beans is approximately 1 1/2 cup cooked beans.
I myself prefer to just use lemon juice mixed with cider vinegar.

Regarding plant milks, they are not recommended for MWL -
JeffN wrote:The main point here is that we do not recommend liquid calories. If you use them, keep them to a minimum and look for ones with the best numbers (calories, fat, sat fat, added sugars and salt.) Avoid ones made with or from coconut. We are not asking for perfection because by using them, you have already fallen short :)

Livshaka - Having a solid plan and adequately preparing to succeed is essential for supporting our efforts, but don't let research stand in the way of taking action. All the important information is contained in the MWL 10-Point Checklist.

emmycaitlin - Today is a great day to get started! The behaviors recommended by the MWL guidelines are the key to attainable and sustainable weight loss. Follow the checklist, eat whenever you are hungry and keep things as simple as you are able.

roxanne123 - Good morning! You've posted in the correct place. Be sure to review the group introduction.

Tian-De - I imagine that bout of "McDougall's Revenge" was a pretty powerful object lesson, 天德! Your assessment with the checklist highlights the areas that will best reward your efforts.

Gimmelean - Kudos for the progress you have made already! I imagine you've already taken a look at the MWL 10-Point Checklist, but if not have a thorough look at the recommendations; the MWL guidelines differ somewhat from what might be circulating on YouTube & Facebook. I just want to make sure everyone is clear and operating on the same set of behaviors. You've clearly gotten off to a roaring start!

jackcook82 - Based on you review of the checklist, I think you are off to an exemplary start! In regard to fruit, this discussion hopefully provides some direction. The salad dressing you describe, if used as a condiment, seems acceptable to me, if taking into account the other guidelines.

April H. - Good morning! Are you getting started with the MWL 10-Point Checklist?

Gspeech3 - I wish you a short and easy recovery from your surgery! Excited is good! Have you made a start practicing the recommended behaviors?

minisweet - You have clearly made a thorough reading of the checklist, Sarah, well done! Soy sauce is allowable if used minimally, as a condiment, in line with the guidelines for added salt. It looks like once you omit the liquid calories and find a way to stay active that you can enjoy, you'll be 10/10!

Chryl - Hi and welcome! Today is a great day to get started with the MWL 10-Point Checklist!

Waterfit - So far, so good! :thumbsup: Fully adherent and on track - I love to hear that!

Golightly - Off to a great start with a walk, fruit and oatmeal! How are you feeling with respect to the MWL 10-Point Checklist?

amyd60 - Good morning! It sounds like your daily environment presents some challenges and distractions, but having support from your family is certainly helpful. When faced with nearby troublesome foods, it is perhaps even more important to be sure you are eating whenever you are hungry, in the manner described by the MWL 10-Point Checklist, and thus give your willpower a breather.

KrisR - It can be a pretty arduous task to outrun or "out-step" our food choices. It looks like you have made the necessary adjustments to your immediate environment to best support adherent behavior; your journal sounds like a fantastic tool!

Melissa B. - Prepping soup and salad is a great start! Having an adequate supply of prepared, adherent foods is absolutely key in planning to succeed. Have a great day!

JaydaMax - It sounds like your assessment of the checklist has pointed to where you can focus your efforts to best support your progress. Well done eliminating animal foods, omitting higher fat and liquid calories, and keeping active!

Laney273 - Today is a great day to start and be accountable; the sooner you begin making the recommended changes in behavior, the sooner those hopes will be rewarded. :)

VNiehoff - Way to go hitting 10/10 on the checklist! That is great! I think you'll likely find that the longer you refrain from indulging in bread, the less you'll miss it - just don't let yourself become overly hungry. Keep at it! :thumbsup:

Merwoman - Hi! I love the idea of allowing your healthy self to blossom! The overall dietary pattern and pattern of behavior determines our outcome, so doing this "partly," at best only delivers partial results. That said, setbacks inevitably occur - when that happens take note how you might avoid them in the future, be compassionate with yourself, and get right back to making sure your next choices support your goals.

GreenFroG - It sounds like you had a great week! I'm glad you noticed that information regarding nutritional yeast, people often don't realize it is ~1700 calories / lb, so it absolutely should be treated as we would added sugar or salt. Keep on putting in the work!

Pattyj115 - You can choose any minimally processed starch that appeals to you, there is no need to eat the same starch at every meal. In regard to snacking, I think this post from Jeff puts things in perspective -
JeffN wrote:
slugmom wrote:So ... if optimizing weight loss is my goal ... and I'm legitimately hungry, or really munchy and want a snack ... which would be better? Popcorn? Fruit?

IMH(P&P)O, and based on calorie density, of the two, I would say fruit. However, vegetables would be a better choice and/or a meal of 50% starch and 50% vegetables (and/or fruit) by volume. A meal of 50% starch and 50% vegetables by volume would have a very low calorie density. So, a bowl of 50% oatmeal and 50% berries by volume or a bowl of 50% rice and 50% veggies by volume may be the better choice. You get the starch to help satisfy you and the fruit and/or veggies to help lower the calorie density.

I would "eyeball" a serving of berries or cherries to be around 1/2 - 3/4 cup, but I really wouldn't worry about the exact amount too much - getting the broader pattern of behavior right is what is most important. Like you, I find the very clear boundaries offered by the checklist to be extremely helpful. I think you are doing great!

Klosee - It sounds like you are making a good start practicing these new behaviors, and using the checklist gives you an idea of where you can focus for continuing progress. Cheese, being both high fat and salty, is often a strong temptation - if you can remove it from your environment, you can give your willpower a little break. Good for you getting right to work making the appropriate adjustments, keep doing your best and aim for ongoing improvement from day to day and week to week. :D

JennieNicole - Congratulations on transition under 200! I'm sure that is an exciting waypoint, and it is always rewarding to see our efforts pay off. Now concentrate on closing that gap between "mostly" employing the MWL guidelines, and fully adhering to the recommendations. Do the best you are able, and strive for ongoing improvement.

Deepaws - Today is always the best time to begin! It can definitely feel disappointing to discover that "vegan" is often not sufficient to achieve the outcomes we all want. A brisk 30 minute walk is one simple option for exercise - could you possibly fit that into your day?

Violet3135 - I'm glad to hear you are feeling great! Those old patterns of thought can be difficult to shed, but do your best to trust that MWL works. Looking over your checklist assessment, you seem to be doing a pretty excellent job already - keep at it!

babajoof - It is indeed an exciting challenge making these lifestyle changes! The MWL 10-Point Checklist is the best roadmap to get you started.

Petunia - Sorry you had a good post evaporate like that - what sometimes happens is hitting "preview" rather than "submit," the posts don't show up in the thread until the submit button is clicked. How are you finding the MWL guidelines to be working for you?

K-Squared - You seem to have done a really great job implementing the recommendations, and the checklist highlights the remaining areas where additional focus will be rewarded. I totally agree that it can feel discouraging seeing other people seemingly attain all their health goals while including non adherent food choices, but for some of us (myself included) to get where we want to be does require stricter adherence. I would encourage you to trust your hunger, if you are following the MWL guidelines closely you can eat a surprising volume of food and still maintain a calorie deficit.
JeffN wrote:You don’t have to figure it out or work out it. Only follow the guidelines. When hungry (regardless of whether you may think it is true hunger, appetite, or something else) just eat. Eat of the recommended foods as outlined in the 10 point checklist.

Over time, it will work itself out.
Enjoy your week on the river!

Afia Joy - Welcome! You are totally right that consistent adherence is key for success. I applaud your recommitting and look forward to seeing the ways you put the MWL guidelines to work in your daily routine over the next week. :D

ajdotson - Welcome! Be sure to thoroughly review the introduction, if you haven't yet done so.

Meriellen - Hi! The best way to get started is with a thorough review of the group introduction, MWL 10-Point Checklist and MWL guidelines. If you would like to keep a journal or food diary, you can start a journal in this section, click the NEWTOPIC button to begin your own journal. Then, just get started practicing the behaviors outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist.

Trish - Good morning! Those higher fat and calorie dense additions often seem to have the effect one would expect, based on the principles of calorie density. It seems like you have made a good start implementing some of the recommended behaviors. Don't neglect including an adequate volume of starch in each meal - filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. The MWL 10-Point Checklist recommends we not drink our calories for a variety of reasons, for a more comprehensive picture of the concerns about juicing you can review this thread.I'm delighted to hear you are feeling good! You are SO right that habits take much practice.

Renestl - Kudos on the progress you are achieving already, I'm sure that positive change in your BP is heartening! The checklist highlights the areas that will benefit from greater focus, so just use that for direction and keep on making improvements. Heading toward a healthy lifestyle should feel exciting!

Kathie - If you have any questions regarding the MWL guidelines, please feel free to post them here - the MWL 10-Point Checklist provides the most concise and clear outline of the program. Discussion boards take some getting used to, but putting the recommended behaviors into action is the most important thing.

TeriGG - I'm glad you were able to check-in, and now is a great time to get started following MWL. Adequate preparation of the appropriate foods is SO valuable for supporting our efforts. I wish you the very best getting going today!

rsmith0809 - I'm glad it feels like things are going well and you are already seeing some weight loss! It sounds like you know where to best direct you focus for the days to come.

Vegeloon - Seeing our efforts reflected by the scale is always a pleasant reward! Onward toward 100%!

LLee - This is indeed the correct place to report. :thumbsup: Those look like some excellent goals for the week, do you have a plan for how you'll achieve them over the coming days? You are doing a lot of important things right already, now to tackle those remaining opportunities!

Busy-B - The excellent work you have already done demonstrating to yourself that MWL works is a fantastic achievement! You know exactly what to do in pursuit of your current goals, and as you observe, getting back to the recommended behaviors will deliver you where you want to be. :nod:

eatrealfood - Kudos for your loss this week, Lynette! I hope your shopping trip proved rewarding! How has it been going with the MWL 10-Point Checklist?

Beeshell - Way to go getting started making some new habits! Those cravings for higher fat and calorie rich processed foods can be powerful, but if you continue to choose adherent foods for long enough they will fade away. Strong and difficult to process emotions can be exhausting, and I think it is a natural instinct to go searching after the richest food at hand - are there any other ways you could show compassion to yourself during those times that would better support your goals? It isn't always easy, but try to be kind to yourself and keep your environment as free from temptation as you can.

vegyluvver - Sounds like you are working on a good plan for success! I'm excited to see your checklist assessment next time.

annmariejacobus - Yay! Kudos for going "all in" and realizing some encouraging results! Keep at it!

josietheschnauzer - Woo-hoo! Let me take a moment to celebrate that 100 day streak and 22.2 lb cumulative loss! Thank you so much for sharing your journey with this group, it has been a real thrill seeing you diligent efforts in action. :D

chef16 - Getting the food right is the most important thing, and I expect you'll find it easier to be more active as your weight lessens. Do the best you can with that coffee - omitting the creamer would be an excellent first step.

BarbaraLynn - It sounds like you are doing a great job implementing the recommendations! I'm glad you are recovering well from that injury. Good for you taking the step of giving away those condiments; if hot sauce, teriyaki and other salty sauces are troublesome for you, eliminating them is a sound strategy. Keep building on the foundation you have established!

abible - If the week felt pretty good, don't let feedback from the scale discourage your efforts. I would imagine that day of "broken protocol" with calorie rich foods played the biggest role, particularly if they were also relatively high in salt. At least you know what you can do to make sure you have a more satisfying week to come. :)

OrangeBird - Happy Friday! It sounds like you have some meaningful reasons to "get your ducks in a row." I would observe that, generally speaking, snacking isn't so much the issue as the particular foods upon which we choose to snack. The beauty of MWL is you really can just eat, whenever you are hungry, provided you are eating the foods as recommended. I hope your first week is wonderful!

DanG - Today is a great day to get started! All the information you need is outlined in the introduction.

Cathmc - Hi! Catching up with this thread is indeed an undertaking! Have you made a start practicing the recommended behaviors?

hollyhock - Woo-hoo! "Ace"-ing 9/10 points is what I like to hear! Be mindful to eat whenever you are hungry, and as you build a longer duration of adherence this way of eating ought to start feeling more normal for you. Just keep doing the best you can.

soulforged - I hope you have a great day one! Understanding calorie density is definitely a revelation! It sounds like you have a clear idea of where you need to direct your efforts this week - do the best you are able, and strive toward continuing improvement from day to day.

HaleyS - 7/10 means you've made an auspicious start! Now to tackle those remaining points. Those "convenience" calorie rich processed foods aren't often convenient for achieving our health goals, right? Happy to have you here.

Jacqui Appell - Hi! Recognizing that these changes require significant time and effort is an astute observation. It appears you've made real progress with the MWL 10-Point Checklist, and eliminating that remaining oil and omitting the bread are great opportunities for further development. Best wishes with your batch cooking!

karenjaq - Way to go being solid on 9/10 point from the checklist! That is excellent work. Speaking for myself, the preload component to meals has been really vital for me, as I'm a volume eater. Enjoy that batch of soup!

rlechols - Thank you for sharing that picture of your progress, Rachel! It has been inspiring to see you overcome that stubborn plateau with your consistent efforts! It sounds like you are managing to do the best you can with a less familiar surrounding and routine. All your hard work has built those skills that allow you to navigate these situations. Have a safe journey home!

JennyDianne - Down a pound! How are you doing with the MWL 10-Point Checklist?

goalsetterjo - MWL is a great path toward getting out of that rut and on-track! Be sure to review the introduction, if you haven't already.

Noella - Congratulations on another nice loss! I think it is wonderful to have such a supportive spouse. Excellent, thorough review of the checklist! I think Jeff's Salad Dressing could make for an interesting pesto, if one were to substitute fresh basil for the dill weed. Pasta is an acceptable choice for the starch component of a meal, it needn't be whole wheat exclusively (but look for whole grain or made from other "whole" ingredients, i.e. nothing removed in processing), provided it is made from just those ingredients you outlined, without other troublesome additions. I find I quite enjoy listening to music or podcasts while walking - could that possibly work for you? Keep up your outstanding efforts!

wstokes - At least you were able to "catch up" in the end! Something that I found very helpful for shedding the idea of using food to "celebrate" was making a point of eating the adherent foods I most enjoy whenever I want, and finding some specific non-food options for celebrations.

wolffie - Corn tortillas are relatively calorie dense at ~1000 calories / lb; they are not recommended for MWL.

That marathon post seems long enough for today! Maybe even TOO long! :lol: I will respond to all remaining reports in a cumulative post tomorrow evening.
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Weight Change -1.4

Yeah! I lost what I gained last week and then some! I didn't do anything differently this week from last, so it just goes to show you that the scale is not a direct correlation to behavior, although, over time it definitely is. So slow and steady wins the race. I'm keeping this short today. Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby SGarcia » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:39 pm

Good afternoon!

Starting weight is 214#

I've been trying the MWL for 3 days and I keep telling myself to focus on building habits. Especially the habits that help keep my blood sugar stable and make it easy to ignore unhealthy food. I currently work in food service so it can be pretty tough for me some days. But my job does have me walking more than 5 miles a day on slow days and lifting heavy things so I'm not complaining.

So far, I've noticed keeping animal products out of my food is tough. Things like store bought sauces and bouillon, etc. And eating salad or soup before my meals.

Thanks to all of you for the good work you do and have a wonderful weekend.
SGarcia

Weekly Update on MWL Challenge

Postby Cinderoli » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:46 pm

My sister and I are doing this together. Since the 1st, she is down 3.4 pounds, and I am down 1.8 pounds.

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :D
2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :D
3.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :D
4.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :D
5.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :D
6.Eliminate any added oil. :D
7.Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :D
8.Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :D
9.Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :D
10.Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :roll: It is sooo freakin hot!! Need to work on this. Overall --- pretty good!!
Cinderoli

Postby Hope410 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:57 pm

Hello All,

Welcome to all the new participants to MWL this month.

Weight Loss/Gain this week: + 1.8 LBS

Points 3, 5, 6, 8, and 10 were all at 95% - 100% this week which is satisfactory to me. Exercise again was 6X for 30 - 50 minutes which makes it 2 weeks in a row so I am very happy about that.

Points 1, 2, 4, and 9 were not quite so good, only 85% - 90%.

Point 7 was very not so good. Way too much Junk snack food. This all happened starting at dinner Wednesday evening and continued into Thursday evening until almost bedtime. YIKES!! I am neither happy or proud of this, but I do recognize how this happened and believe I am back on track after the wake up weight gain.

So today has been much better and my thoughts are also focused back on the MWL guidelines and 10 point checklist. On to a better week starting today. Thank goodness we can always begin over.

Have a great and successful week everyone.
Hope410

Postby BeadLady » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:03 pm

I thought Flaxseed was compliant.
BeadLady

Postby JeffN » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:09 pm

BeadLady wrote:I thought Flaxseed was compliant.

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620&start=135#p578019

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby wildgoose » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:11 pm

There are several questions here about whether certain foods are OK on MWL. Rememer that "OK" is always a relative term. OK for what? What are your goals? What are your special weaknesses? (I found that if I was asking "is this OK?" it usually meant that I was very attached to what I was asking about. I ended up not being able to use it in moderation, and it kept me on a never-ending craving cycle. This may not be the case for you, but be ruthlessly honest with yourself here.)

Plant milks. Generally, no. Plant milks fall into the category of liquid calories. They’re high in fat. They’re easy to overdo. But if you make your own and limit your use, they may be "OK." See what Jeff has to say on the subject here. Personally, I don’t use them.

Pasta. There has been a change in the guidelines over the years on this, so people get understandably confused when they read things written at different times in the evolution of the program. The most current thinking is that, since cooked pasta absorbs a great deal of water, which lowers its calorie density, whole-grain pasta is acceptable for MWL. My own experience is that it’s easy to overeat, so I’m careful. My sauce is always homemade (commercial pasta sauces are high in sodium, high in sugar, and usually contain oil). I always load up on the vegetables (generally more than the 50/50 ratio if I’m having pasta). And I don’t salt the food (I don’t salt anything, but if I did, I would especially avoid salting a pasta dish because salt encourages overeating).

Bread. Sorry. No. Bread is made of highly processed flour, baked to remove most of the water. It’s highly calorically dense — in many cases, over 1000 calories per pound. Even whole grain bread. Even sprouted bread. Even the healthiest bread you could possibly find, including homemade. I could not lose weight eating bread. I could not stop my cravings while still eating bread. It was one of the hardest things to let go of, but I did. I still do not eat bread, even on maintenance.

The same goes for anything dry and crunchy, like Rice cakes and Air-popped popcorn. Dry and full of air, not water. Higher in calorie density and easy to overeat. I did an experiment with rice cakes after I lost all the weight ("only 30 calories apiece, what could be the harm...?"). I started gaining. I started eating more of everything. The rice cakes had to go.

Fruit. Yes, the guidelines are two fruits per day (two servings, so 1/2 cup of blueberries, for example, would count as a fruit). Avoid dried fruits (calorie bombs!) and fruit juices (liquid calories). Many people use fruit for breakfast and as a dessert at dinner. The closer you can stay to this guideline, the more successful you will be. This was a hard one for me, but I learned from experience, especially as I got further along and had less remaining weight to lose.

Snacks. Think veggies and starch. My favorite mid-afternoon snack is baby carrots and homemade hummus. Or a small reheated potato with salsa. Or leftovers from lunch. For me, it works better to never snack at night. I eat my last meal of the day, wash the dishes, and walk away from the kitchen. No. More. Food. Getting out of the evening snacking habit was extremely helpful in weight loss. (Dr. Doug Lisle's webinar on the Cram Circuit is well worth watching.)

At this point, some of you are probably ready to declare open season for Goose hunting. I know this is not fun to hear. Even less exciting is the idea that in order to maintain a lower weight, some of these foods may be off the menu permanently. Many of us continue to eat MWL when we've reached our goal weight. It’s no longer a struggle, it’s just the way it is. That doesn’t mean that temptation doesn’t pop up from time to time — it’s just that it’s easier to deal with. The longer you keep up really good compliance, the easier it gets. Cheating all the time leads to cravings and a generally harder road, in addition to slower weight loss.

I went through lots of ups and downs, and years of bargaining with myself that I just had to have certain foods, before I came to a point, and a plan, that I could live with forever. But MWL is pretty straightforward. That’s the joy of it, if you do it as written and follow the guidelines.

Goose
Last edited by wildgoose on Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby NatalieJ » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:13 pm

Hi there,

I've tried posting twice.

I would like to join this please. Not sure why my messages are not posting?

Thank you.
Natalie
NatalieJ

Postby simon » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

Wishing you all success! Mine is:

Weight change: -1lb

Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
- Salads before eating the rest of my meal turned out to be the way forward for me. That literally meant having a plate with nothing but the salad, and the go back "for 2nds" which would be a starch meal of the same size.

Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
- Salt.... I'm still tending to be a bit heavy handed. Need to get better here.

Cheers
Simon
simon

Postby BeadLady » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:22 pm

I still really confused. I am doing something wrong. I thought I posted to today’s weigh in however, I do not see it anywhere. Plz tell me exactly where I can find information on posting and then how to find that post once it has been posted? I never have participated in a forum like this. It is most frustrating. Is there a url that directs me to the weigh in page? I see some people have the complete 10 - Point Checklist written out then a comment afterwards. Is that what is wanted? I can do almost anything but I do not get a clear picture as to what I am to do. Thank you for any guidance you can provide me. Maybe some written instructions would help.
BeadLady

Postby Tobinterri » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:34 pm

I think I was posting on a different Discussion Board. Not sure where this one has been :-D.
I have managed to stay within the guidelines since the 1st of July other than the fact that I didn't realize I couldn't drink Decaf. I found that on one of the lists later.

My stats as of now are:

Weight change 0

I am hoping that the lack of change is because it has only been 3 days, that I am older, and that I had already been eating a WFPB diet other than when Covid struck and I started baking bread. We also went to the beach for a week and I was at the mercy of my son-in-law who worked at lots of veggies for us all but used oil on all his grilling. I did the best I could. Hoping for better luck next week. Also need to look at more exercise. I walk the dogs every day but can't say it is rapid. It has been so hot here I haven't been doing the evening walk. I will look at other options since my yoga studio is not yet open.
Tobinterri

Postby JeffN » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:39 pm

BeadLady wrote:I still really confused. I am doing something wrong. I thought I posted to today’s weigh in however, I do not see it anywhere. I do not see a weigh in for today. Plz tell me exactly where I can find information on posting and then how to find that post once it has been posted?

Here is a link to your posts.

search.php?author_id=36280&sr=posts

BeadLady wrote: Is there a url that directs me to the weigh in page?

All weigh-in reporting happens in this thread. You just come to this thread (you can bookmark the url) and then hit reply. We have many particpants this month so the thread is very long. Take some time to start at the beginning (the link I provided above) and read through the posts.

BeadLady wrote: I see some people have the complete 10 - Point Checklist written out then a comment afterwards. Is that what is wanted? I can do almost anything but I do not get a clear picture as to what I am to do. Thank you for any guidance you can provide me. Maybe some written instructions would help.

I would recommend reviewing the initial post in this thread, which is where most everything one needs to know is written down.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61073

If you have more questions, just ask.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby wolffie » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:
wolffie wrote:Hi everybody. I hope you all are well and enjoying the holiday. I have a question about the MWL rules. I know flour is a no-no, but would corn tortillas be acceptable?

Corn tortillas are relatively calorie dense at ~1000 calories / lb; they are not recommended for MWL.

Thanks Mark.
wolffie

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program