August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:42 am

August 2020 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:44 am

Let me offer a warm welcome to August for all the continuing participants! We have a month full of amazing opportunities for making worthwhile change ahead of us! Are you ready? For any newcomers interested in participating in the MWL group: please review the orientation information and follow the instructions to join.

I'll be away from home later this morning, until Wednesday evening; I'll reply to questions and welcome any new participants on Thursday. Our first August weigh-in will be on Friday, August 7, 2020. Let's make this another fantastic month!
Mark Cooper

Postby jan_npr » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:44 am

I have reviewed the orientation information and would like to be part of the August weigh-in group. This will be my 4th month as part of the MWL weigh-in groups. I've lost about 8 pounds since starting and have lots left to lose but I see we aren't supposed to set a target weight. I do use a ticker but it's more to track my BMI and total pounds lost so I hope that is okay. I can't remember when I would have last been in a healthy range.

All the best everyone! Thanks Mark.
jan_npr

Postby Dahabeena » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 am

Hello! :D

My name is Dahab and I am excited to participate in this months weight-in group. I am Canadian who moved to the Atlanta, Georgia 5 years ago. For many years I had been both vegan and vegetarian but it didn't stick because I either gained a lot of weight (now I know why!) or I felt lethargic and tired all the time. I have been on a (sometimes unhealthy) health journey since I was a teen.

Over the past few weeks I have read The Starch Solution and have cut all animal product from my diet (with the exception of a few slip ups), and I feel great! :-P While eating more starch there has been a mental tennis match going on between what I have been told and taught about carbs vs what Dr.McDougall and his books say about starch, but I am working on educating myself more and more daily.

I am excited for the support and accountability I hope I will be able to find on this message board. I have read the Orientation materials and am excited to weigh in on Friday.

I hope everyone has a great week! :-D
Dahabeena

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:25 am

jan_npr - I'm glad you'll be continuing to participate! Using a ticker is not a problem, we definitely want to track progress with weight loss over time. We just also want to encourage people to frame their goals in regard to the recommended behaviors, since it is the change in overall pattern of behavior that results in the outcome of weight loss. :)

Just to clarify - group members who were participating through the previous month (or months :D ) don't need to take any actions to continue for August; you'll automatically have a place in the group, should you wish to continue.

Dahabeena - Hello and welcome to the group! It sounds like you've made some positive changes already! Be sure and view Jeff's presentation on Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer to complete your orientation (if you haven't watched already). Have a great week!
Mark Cooper

Postby Beeshell » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:44 am

thank you Mark for letting us continue. I am learning a lot each week: I like the focus on changing behaviors; the MANY resources; the accountability; and of course the science. Looking forward to August. Appreciate so much the support and guidance.
Beeshell

Postby ladevereaux » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi. My name is Leslie and I have completed the orientation and would like to join the group. I have been a shadow quietly lurking and now want to the leap to hold myself accountable.
ladevereaux

Postby Expat in NZ » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Hello all, I am an American expat living permanently in New Zealand as of last year. I was plant based for many years until I became pregnant with my daughter and my husband was concerned I was not going to get the nutrition I needed :roll: so I went back to eating small amounts of meat but waaaaay too much dairy.

Fast forward to now, my daughter is almost 5 and I am back on WFPB - even convinced my husband to go WFPB as well so we are doing it as a family. Oddly my kids (I also have a 3 yr old son) don't like potatoes but they will eat rice, so that is a start. They love veggies at least!

I lost a lot of weight initially but have hit a really stubborn plateau the last few weeks, the scale and the measuring tape just refuse to move. I cannot identify any particular behavior that might be causing this, so I am hoping that this thread will help me to see what other people encounter and get past on their journey. I honestly feel too good to ever go back to the SAD and my cravings for sweets are non-existent now, so I will just keep on going and hope that eventually my body will shed the rest of the excess. :)

Nice to meet you all!

Lindsey
American Expat, wife, mom of 2, weightlifter, foodie
Started McDougall June 2020 - 93kg (204.6lb)
Aug 1 2020 - 87.9kg (193.4lb)
Goal weight - 60kg (132lb)
One day at a time!

Expat in NZ

Postby JeffN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:20 pm

Expat in NZ wrote:Hello all, I am an American exped the rest of the excess. :)

Nice to meet you all!

Lindsey

Welcome to the group

Make sure you have read the orientation thread and the links in it

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61210

Here is a snippet...

If you feel you can benefit from this group and would like to join, thoroughly review the orientation information above, including the MWL Guidelines, MWL 10-Point Checklist, and Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer. After completing your review of the orientation materials, please post in the MWL Weigh-In Group thread for the current month (usually posted near the beginning of each month) introducing yourself and stating that you have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group. After submitting that post, you will officially be a participant in the group and needn't wait for any further confirmation. Please remember, there is nothing magical that happens when you join this group and your name is added to the list. Jeff, wildgoose and I can offer accountability and support in terms of understanding and implementing the MWL guidelines, and your fellow participants provide a feeling of community; but, it is up to you to actually make these changes in your daily life. All the forum posts in the world won't have an effect on the outcomes we seek, without lasting changes in our daily pattern of behavior. Don't obsess over the minutiae; rather, direct your energy toward doing an excellent job at the fundamental principles. I can't promise that it will be easy, but I DO promise that it is worth it.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby squealcat » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 pm

After taking a couple of months off, I would like to join in on the August MWL group. I am much more determined to follow all the MWL guidelines and not just the ones that are easy for me. I am taking my bread over to my daughter's house, made a few favorite soups, cooked up some potatoes and have my salad "stuff" washed, cut up and ready for salads and/or snacks. Instead of thinking of doing this for just a month, I plan to just make this my lifestyle and live accordingly.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby wildgoose » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:29 pm

squealcat wrote:After taking a couple of months off, I would like to join in on the August MWL group. I am much more determined to follow all the MWL guidelines and not just the ones that are easy for me. I am taking my bread over to my daughter's house, made a few favorite soups, cooked up some potatoes and have my salad "stuff" washed, cut up and ready for salads and/or snacks. Instead of thinking of doing this for just a month, I plan to just make this my lifestyle and live accordingly.

Marilyn, welcome back! I’m sure Mark will add you to the participants list when he returns.

Good for you to plan for success, and to get yourself in the mindset that this is a lifestyle. If you want to review, here's the orientation information.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Joanne_elon » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:37 pm

Mark.....thank you for this wonderful opportunity. Count me in!
July was my first month doing MWL and I lost 5 pounds.
Looking forward to continuing this excellent program.
Welcome to the newcomers. Joanne
Joanne_elon

Postby Tbear » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:11 pm

I have completed the orientation. Please add me to the August group.
Tbear

Postby connielovesdogs » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 pm

Adding a post so I'll be alerted to new posts. I participated last month and am excited to keep on this healthy trail. This group was really helpful last month. Thanks for being here and joy to all!
connielovesdogs

Postby Drew* » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:33 am

Hi all! I am ready to do this! Also doing a journal as I am finding a daily posting helpful to stay on track...

Drew*
Drew*

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program