May 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon May 03, 2021 12:48 pm

May 2021 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Struggling to Achieve Results? Here are 9 Reasons Why
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon May 03, 2021 1:29 pm

Happy May!

I want to really challenge everyone who chooses to participate in this month's MWL group to seriously focus their efforts toward practicing the recommended behaviors. Setbacks almost inevitably happen, but that doesn't mean we have to face them with a sense of helplessness. If you anticipate a particular obstacle, or see challenges on the horizon, take some time to consider how you might meet those challenges and overcome that obstacle. Plan to succeed as your default, not as a lucky occurrence. If you find that you are struggling, check in with this group to get some support, rather than waiting until Friday; another participant may have dealt with the same troubles in the past. All problems have solutions, but it often takes some consideration, help from others, and personal work to find those solutions.

Making these lifestyle changes isn't easy, but it is worth it. In this post, Jeff highlights three studies that speak to how intensive lifestyle changes positively impact quality of life. The subjects in these studies made strict and significant changes in their pattern of behavior and, almost universally, showed significant improvement in quality of life.

We so often tend to focus on the negative aspects of change - what is being given up - that it can be easy to lose track of the positive aspects. By building lasting, healthy habits, you may very well be making your life better in ways that aren't immediately obvious. Losing weight and feeling better is great, but consider how these changes might enrich your daily experience, time spent with loved ones, and the quality of your relationships. There is so much to be gained. During the same discussion, Jeff speaks to his own experience working with people making these changes, which seems very apt. He closes that post with the following.
JeffN wrote:But, my question is, what does anyone have to lose by trying it for 21 days, except maybe some old habits?

Keep your focus on the practice and process of changing your behavior, not any specific outcomes; outcomes FOLLOW behavior, so let your behavior lead the way towards the things you wish to achieve. Do your best, and if you stumble, get up and do your best again. I wish you all great success!
Mark Cooper

Re: May 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon May 03, 2021 4:11 pm

Count me in! I'm back from vaycay. Posted in my journal a little bit. I gained four lbs, and expect to be at least where I was when I went, by Friday.

:nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby PonysPlants » Fri May 07, 2021 1:37 am

Down 0.2lbs this week. I mean, it’s a loss. Just!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. YES.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO. Had 2 slices of bread.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. NO. Hurt my hip (I’ve got a dodgy one that plays up from time to time) so didn’t manage any this week. Looking forward to getting back to it! Never thought I’d say that.

Nothing much to report. I had a slip with some bread and had a tomato toasted sandwich. No cheese. I’ve been having real cravings for something sweet as it’s that tile of the month. Utilised Mark’s tip from last summer and froze some sliced bananas and a few of them has been hitting the spot!

Off to get vaccinated this morning. Hopefully I won’t have any side effects. I have concerns as to what I’ll be eating if my husband is in charge of food. Might have to try and make a pot of soup before I go!

Hopefully I’ll feel ok to get some exercise done, it’s become such a part of my day it really feels like something is missing now when I don’t do it.

Thanks so much to the moderators and Mark especially for being a total star.

Onwards to next week!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby alishana » Fri May 07, 2021 2:39 am

Hi ! I'd like to join you.

This week, I'm -4,1lbs :shock:

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. YES.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. NOT EVERYDAY

I had a good week. Food wise I've found a good routine. There are 2 days where I didn't exercise because of stomach ache and headache but I started running. And I'm getting better and better at planning and not feeling ashamed of my choices if I need to cook for friends and family.
Overall I really feel so good and light (in mind and in body). It's making me confident that I need to do it as an hygene practice, not only to lose weight.
alishana

Postby carwex » Fri May 07, 2021 4:58 am

Starting weight: 141.5
Last week’s weight: 130.9
Current weight: 129.8
Loss/gain this week -1.1 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup or salad. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method, ½ starch and ½ vegetables. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods. Yes except when I reached for a bite of animal foods that my family eats.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Yes But: I use miso to season a soup /a little almond milk in porridge and tea.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes. exceptions [-[i][b]a restaurant meal and once when I made and tasted fried tempeh
7. Eliminate all higher calorie dense foods. Yes except for the tempeh
8. Don’t drink your calories. yes
9. Follow these principles whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary. Yes Have returned to regular swimming, walking, chair yoga, fitness

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Looking back, I see that it has been a little more than a year since I joined MWL. Hard to believe! I’ve left to do it alone at least twice, but after a month or 2 or 3 realised that I was slipping back and so returned.
This time round I’ve been working hard. Once you get away from it is not easy to get back to its simplicity. I had gotten out of the habit of being aware of exactly what goes into my mouth and as a result how adherent I am to the 10 principles. By the end of the week I cannot remember if and where I went wrong. So, to increase my awareness, I made a page for each day and reported right after each meal for each principle. A famous architect once said ”God is in the details”. I was reminded of this saying every day as each meal (and in between meals) was scrutinised to align my eating with the 10 principles.
I also read the shares of group members more carefully as well as Mark’s comments to all of us. Some of the latter are gems and provide encouraging input.
I look forward to reading this week’s shares and comments.
Carol
carwex

Postby cmcavazos » Fri May 07, 2021 6:01 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -.6# loss

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories: Another small loss
Comments: I was able to fit in some exercise on the weekend. The food choices are getting easier and the YES areas are becoming my routine.
Questions: None
cmcavazos

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri May 07, 2021 7:14 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +1

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO handful of raw almonds yesterday
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO piece of whole wheat toast w. citrus honey a few days ago
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Well, I had a week of vacation, which included some pretty rich eating, but I stayed away from overt fats like butter or salad dressing. At Prado, a gourmet restaurant at Balboa Park in San Diego, I had a pressed arugula salad that was the absolute best thing I put in my mouth that whole time. It came in a little dome on a plate, and when I put my fork in it, the greens spread out to fill the plate. Gosh it was good. Arugula, berries, candied walnuts...YUM.
Our plans to cook in our suite pretty much went by the wayside, as we planned a baked potato bar and then forgot the potatoes at the grocery store :lol: but my choices were generally "light" and I tried to select vegetables whenever they were on the menu. Kind of surprising how many menus did not include vegetables at all. We did have breakfast in our room every morning, oatmeal or toast and jam. And pretty much two meals a day, plenty of snacks, and mostly I ate only till satiated, even with off plan foods. But I mostly didn't fret about it. And when I stepped on the scale the morning after we got back, I was up 6 lbs, but have shed all of them this week, but compared to the last weigh in, I am up 1 lb. Such is life.
It actually feels good to have simple, humble food again, but I did enjoy the rich stuff for that week.
I enjoyed everything, though. Our balcony looked out on the ocean, literally across the street from us. And Oceanside pier was right there. We walked a LOT, and laughed a LOT, and saw a lot of cool things including a tiny crab on the beach! Wyle made it a little shelter out of three rocks. I didn't want to leave.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Fri May 07, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby CindyD » Fri May 07, 2021 7:27 am

May 1, 2021 141.8
May 7, 2021 140.2
RESULT -1.6 Hooray

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO, some seeds!
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No, some pretzels
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. b]YES[/b]

I went back to the basic baked potato (and Japanese sweet potatoes - thank you Trader Joes!) this week, also potato fries and sweet potato fries. Steel-cut oats! Also, a few Bavarian pretzels and pumpkin seeds snuck in. But I'm finally at a weight lower than my previous low at the end of March, huzzah! I also got back to my habit of watching Chef AJ and other inspiring WFPB/No oil YouTubers a bit more, that always helps! (The Mommy Vegan is a good one, and Well Your World). Have a great May, everyone! You got this.
CindyD

Postby HoustonJason » Fri May 07, 2021 8:01 am

From Houston Jason

April 30 = 206
May 7 = 202

Weight change +/- in lbs: - 4

Total = - 50 pounds!!! (I've earned some exclamation marks!)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit No, most of the time.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. No, most of the time
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I jumped on the rebounder 6 out of 7 days and worked out extra time on it in hopes of reaching the 50 pounds loss point this week.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I’m so grateful that I made it to 50 pounds lost. I knew it was possible, but back in December I didn’t know I really had the willpower to hunker down and stick to it long enough to lose this much weight. My next goal is to get under 200# and hopefully that will happen in May. Thanks as always for your help and guidance!

Original Weight = 252 on January 1, 2021 Jan. 8 = 244 Jan. 15 = 237 Jan. 22 = 234 Jan. 29 = 231 February 5 = 226 Feb. 12 = 225 Feb. 19 = 221 Feb. 26 = 219 March 5 = 218 March 12 = 212 March 19 = 210 March 26 = 210 April 2 = 209 April 9 = 207 Apr 16 = 207 Apr 23 = 206 Apr 30 = 206 May 7 = 202
HoustonJason

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:27 am

161.2 Weight change +/- in lbs: +1.6 pounds
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I got all yeses this week, but it was NOT easy! I planned well, made myself a few separate meals which wasn’t too bad or made adjustments to mine to stay on plan. But it was between meals that I was so wanting things not on the plan. I did resist though, so that was successful. I also felt really hungry this week so although it was compliant I did eat more. The gain on the scale didn’t feel kind after I worked so hard, but I’m just remembering what you always say and that’s keep being compliant and the progress will come.
Rebecka22

Postby Zoey » Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 am

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnd I'm back. I thought I could go it alone in 2021. Yet here at almost halfway through, bad habits are beginning to creep back in. Mostly in the form of wine and bread and crackers. And if the wine continues, that list will grow, of course.
And I wonder where that ego even comes from? I mean, why go it alone? Dr. McDougall gives us info and access to each other totally free of charge. Mark and the other awesome mods give their time selflessly.
What was I thinking?!
I've decided that these boards are my community. Rough waters or smooth sailing, here I am. At the moment , things are pretty choppy, Hopefully when I get smoothed out, I can be of help to someone else instead of abandoning ship.
Thanks, everybody!

Weight change +/- in lbs: 0

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Starting again NOW
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Starting again NOW
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Good luck to everyone!
Zoey

Postby GreenFroG » Fri May 07, 2021 11:36 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.8 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Another week with a loss; slow and steady! Really trying to focus on weekend prep of my food for the week and trying to stay in the groove. The words of encouragement you posted for the start of May were helpful, Mark, as well as Jeff's posts that you referenced. I needed the encouragement. I will be trying to keep my focus on the practice of changing my behavior and working the checklist for the week. Onward...
GreenFroG

Postby Ruff » Fri May 07, 2021 12:06 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs:

Please can I have a pass for this week. I just weighed myself and I had lost 6kg! 12 pounds! I was a bit startled as I certainly dont feel like that and nor do my clothes. So I tried again, and my scales gave a 'low' warning and promptly died! I dont have another battery in the house so I will have to buy one today.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 50%

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). No...homemade cashew milk in tea.

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 2 dates....

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes.

Well it was not a good week...nothing to do with the food. I had a front filling replaced on Tuesday and had a bad reaction to the local anaesthetic. my face looked like I had just done a few rounds with Mike Tyson, my eyes were all swelled up, my sinuses swelled, and I was rather miserable. I drank lots of water to try and flush it through, the next day I was up a couple of pounds but I peed 3 times the night after that and the following morning was a lot less swollen, and was back down a pound or so. However this morning was the magic woosh! 6kg! wow! sadly I cant believe it, and have to credit it to my dying scales.

Now, onto next week. I have decided to take each of the 10 principles a week at a time. So next week I will look closely at No.1. How can I do this as well as possible, what are the difficulties, and how can I streamline them. What things do I find easy and how can I maximise them. If I get to a number I am already doing well at, I will see if I can make it simpler on a day to day basis, so that it becomes automatic. Obviously I will do my best with the the numbers I am not working on, but they won't be the focus. The aim is that in 10 weeks, I have the method of eating pretty sussed. So next week I will work on No.1.... 'start the meal' section.

Finally, I am still having the cashew milk, but I am having less tea! I tried it black and it was not the same. I'm back to looking for compliant oat or rice milk, and also looking into making my own rice milk as well. Onwards.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Mark's Replies for May 7 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri May 07, 2021 2:20 pm

PonysPlants - All progress counts, Naomi, right? :) I hope your injured hip feels better. Isn't it interesting to reflect on that change in perspective regarding exercise? All your time spent practicing that behavior has it feeling habitual. Best of luck with your vaccination and enjoy the frozen bananas!

alishana - Welcome back! 9/10 and big progress! Finding a routine that works within the context of your individual situation makes adherence feel so much more attainable doesn't it? Kudos to you for planning as necessary and building confidence and comfort in your choices. Feeling good is the best reward!

carwex - Down 1.1 pounds! Congratulations on that MWL anniversary, Carol! Checking in with the recommendations at each meal seems like an exemplary way to support closer adherence. :thumbsup: Your continued focus and attention toward the remaining exceptions will keep you heading in the right direction.

cmcavazos - Nice progress, Christine! I'm delighted to hear that making adherent choices feels easier for you; keep building a routine based on saying YES to all the recommendations. :nod:

bunsofaluminum - Your vacation locale sounds beautiful! I can relate to your observation about enjoying the return to simple, humble, adherent foods. Now that you are home, and feeling rejuvenated and renewed, concentrate on practicing the recommended pattern of behavior from the MWL 10-Point Checklist, and you will be on your way toward your goals.

CindyD - Hooray for a new low! A back to basics approach seems to be working for you. Tackle the challenge presented by those pretzels and seeds and you'll be hitting every point. Steel-cut oats - YUM!

HoustonJason - Woo-hoo! 50 pounds!!!! Those exclamation points are well-earned! :D Give yourself a pat on the back for your determined, diligent efforts. Your next goal awaits; carry on attending to the recommended behaviors and you are sure to get there.

Rebecka22 - Kudos to you for all YESes! Your planning, effort and determination enabled that excellent adherence. I applaud you for keeping your attention on behavior over outcomes; keep those YESes coming and the scale will cooperate in due course.

Zoey - Hi! I'm delighted to see your post! Those undesirable habits do have an insidious way of creeping back in, don't they? It is natural for the water to feel pretty choppy as you get your boat turned back on course, but concentrating on those thumbs-up will have you sailing smoothly before long.
Zoey wrote:Starting again NOW
This gave me a big grin; from my perspective, NOW is always the best time to start making a change. :-D Keep at it!

GreenFroG - Slow, steady and AWESOME! 10 THUMBS-UP signifies that good groove you have built for yourself; sufficient preparation has you prepared to succeed. :D Glad you are feeling encouraged.
GreenFroG wrote:I will be trying to keep my focus on the practice of changing my behavior and working the checklist for the week.
:thumbsup: I couldn't have said it better myself! :lol: Onward!

Ruff - No worries, Katie; I will record this week as NO CHANGE for you, and we can just see how everything winds up when your scale is functioning again. To my mind, consistent self-assessment with the MWL 10-Point Checklist is just as important as weighing in, if not moreso. Your week does sound pretty miserable - I'm sorry you were dealing with that adverse reaction after the dental appointment. Putting specific, dedicated thought into how best to adhere to a given principle within your personal situation and routine sounds like a very worthwhile practice. As you say, in the end you should have "sussed out" how best to support a pattern of excellent adherence. None of the various plant milks are recommended for MWL, as they are all a form of liquid calories. That said, Jeff shared an easy Rice Milk recipe in this post.
Mark Cooper

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program