Dave's Killer Bread

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dave's Killer Bread

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:01 pm

I was recently asked a question about a new vegan burger and in my response I made a negative comment about the burger and related it to Dave's Killer Bread. My response was posted in a McD FB group and several group members wanted to know what is wrong with Dave's Killer Bread. In addition, in another FB group someone said Dave's Killer Bread is compliant and I wanted to clarify that issue too.

Since there are many versions of Dave's Killer Bread, I asked for the most popular one in the FB group and the response to their survey was Dave's 21 Whole Grain and Seeds. I said I would do the analysis of Dave's Killer Bread and in doing so, would also compare it to a compliant bread, and that is Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread.

Here is the analysis using my guidelines which I teach at the McDougall Program.

1) The Nutrition Facts Label

Calorie Density - 1110

Fat - Ideal is </= 15% fat for the day and should be no more then 20% on a package.
Daves Bread has 110 Calories and 1.5 gm fat, making it 12% fat.

Sodium - Recommended 1:1 ratio with no more then 1500 for the day.
Daves bread has 170 mg for 110 calories for a 1.5/1 ratio which is 50% over the guideline.

Added Sugars - Ideal is </= 5% of calories for the day and no more then 10% on a package.
Daves Bread has 5 grams of added sugar making it 18% added sugars, which is 80% over the upper limit of the guideline.

2) Ingredients

Added sugars is the third ingredient. There are also 7 seeds (high fat, high calorie density). While it seems to be only 12% fat, I will address my concern with that below.

Organic whole wheat (organic whole wheat flour, organic cracked whole wheat), water, organic cane sugar, organic 21 Whole Grains and Seeds mix (organic whole flax seeds, organic sunflower seeds, organic ground whole flax seeds, organic brown sesame seeds, organic triticale, organic pumpkin seeds, organic rolled barley, organic rolled oats, organic rolled rye, organic black sesame seeds, organic blue cornmeal, organic millet, organic rolled spelt, organic brown rice flour, organic amaranth flour, organic yellow cornmeal, organic KAMUT® khorasan wheat, organic quinoa, organic buckwheat flour, organic sorghum flour, organic poppy seeds), organic wheat gluten, organic oat fiber, contains 2% or less of each of the following: organic molasses, sea salt , yeast, organic vinegar, organic cultured wheat flour, enzymes, organic acerola cherry powder.

Now, let’s compare this to the Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread

1) Nutrition Facts

Calorie Density = 1068

Fat - Fat is 0.5 grams which makes it 5% fat, Much better then Dave’s

Sodium - 75/80 for a .93 ratio. Much better then Dave’s

Added Sugars - 0 gms. Much better then Dave’s

Ingredients - No Concerns

INGREDIENTS
Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.

Some comments....

1) Remember, bread is calorie dense at around 1200 calories/lb depending on how it is made and what other ingredients may be in it. So, for those trying to lose weight, having trouble managing their weight, or who may be a volume eater, we recommend avoiding the consumption of bread & bread products. Bread is not "compliant" for MWL. Buying their thin slice is just engaging in portion control and missing the whole point of our principles of calorie density, satiety, etc :)

2) I am surprised that the calorie density and the percent fat is not much higher with all the higher fat seeds. in the ingredients. The 18% added sugar may be acting to lower the overall % fat. Add sugar, the % fat goes down. I show this in the label reading class. If we remove the added sugars, the calories go down to 90 and the % fat goes to 15% which still seems low to me considering the amount of seeds. As we see in the The Good Seed and the Power Seed versions, that have similar amounts of seeds in their ingredients, and they are both 23% fat, which is closer to what I would expect.

3) The higher in calorie density a food is (and higher in fat), the more I am concerned with any numbers that are above my guidelines. In this case, that would be the sodium and the added sugars. The reason is, we are more likely to over consume calories from calorie dense (and high fat) foods, which means the more we over consume calories, the more we over consume any other item over the guidelines. In this case sodium and the added sugars. Hence my concern with a bread that exceeds the salt and sugar guidelines.

4) I would not call a product that is 50% over the sodium guideline and 80% over the upper limit of the sugar guideline, “compliant.” And remember, my guidelines are for packaged products and based on the limited use of them. If one was to consume something more than occasionally, they could exceed the daily limits. This is the same mistake that Leaf-Side made in using my sodium guideline. For example, just 4 slices of this bread would contribute 20 grams of sugar, which is 80 calories which, for someone consuming 1500 calories, would put them over the 5% daily allowance. Consuming 5 slices puts you over the daily sugar guideline for 1800 calories and at the limit for 2000 calories. And that is if you had no other added sugars for the day.

5) As i said with the burger comment, I don't know why we would settle for a bread that is 50% over the sodium guideline and 80% over the upper limit of the sugar guideline when we have breads that that are available commercially, that come in several varieties and that are 100% compliant (for the regular program). There are also local bakeries that make compliant bread. I have one near me in Central FL.

6) I am most concerned with all the above for those who still have weight and/or health issues.

Bottom line. I have a concern over the % fat on the label but either way, regardless of my concern, I would not consider this a compliant bread, especially if someone still has weight and/or health issues.

In Health
Jeff

Dave's *Killer* Bread Label and Ingredients
https://www.daveskillerbread.com/21-who ... -and-seeds

Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread Ingredients and Nutrition Facts Label
https://www.foodforlife.com/product/bre ... rain-bread

JeffN

Re: Dave's Killer Bread

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:38 am

My post has inspired some interesting discussions on the analysis. I am going to share bits and pieces of them here.

>>>>A friend who is lean as they come says we can have up to two slices of bread a day.

This is what we call portion control and unfortunately it doesn’t work for most of us as it doesn’t address 3 of the biggest drives of the passive overconsumption of calories, calorie density, satiety and hunger. However, if it works for them, and they have reached their health and weight goals, more power to them. But that is the important point, have they reached their health and weight goals.

>>>>Would this Dave's be OK on the regular program?

Since we do not recommend bread on the MWL program, my analysis (and the conclusion) is for the regular program. Not recommended.

The regular program works for many people for health and/or weight. However, it seems more and more, people have problems reaching their health and/or weight goals and find the clear cut lines of the MWL helps them reach their goals. In addition, the toxic food environment (the ubiquitous supply of cheap highly processed calorie dense, high fat, high salt, high sugar food marketed and promoted as healthy, and now even WFPB and Vegan) makes it harder for most. It's why our collective health as a nation is getting worse. We are getting heavier, and our blood pressure, blood sugars and cholesterols are going up. We have to be honest with ourselves about whether what we are doing is really working for us or not.

>>>>I use this for my son who is in high energy sports. I will have a slice of toast occasionally.
>>>> I would say that the number one reason people chose this bread is for taste.

Why settle for a bread that is 50% over the sodium guidelines and 80% over the added sugar guidelines when there are regularly available brands that meet all the guidelines. I would recommend finding one that makes our guidelines.

But if the answer is taste and Dave's is already over the lee-way, why stop at 50% over the sodium guidelines and 80% over the added sugar guideline? Why not find one that is 75% over the sodium guideline and 95% over the added sugar guideline as I am sure it will taste even better.

>>>The real reason people choose it is because they think it is compliant. I am just being clear that it isn't or their best choice.

The choice is always theirs though. Just be clear whether what you are doing and whether it is working for you in regard to health and weight.
JeffN

Re: Dave's Killer Bread

Postby JeffN » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:28 am

>>>> the label says it has 5 grams of sugar per slice. How much sugar is that? If I had a slice of Ezekiel bread (with no added sugar), how much sugar would I add to get 5 grams?

Good question. It’s always good to put things in a real world perspective.

A level teaspoon of cane sugar is about 4 grams. It’s actually slightly more (4.2) but it’s rounded down. So 5 grams is just over a teaspoon (about 1.2 tsp)

So let’s say I was sitting down to a slice of Dave’s killer bread without any sugar in it. That slice would now be about 90 cal because I took out the sugar which was contributing about 20 calories. I know have to add 1.2 tsp of sugar to the slice, increasing the calories by 22% (from 90-110). And that’s per slice. So for each slice I have, I have to add 1.2 tsp of cane sugar to it.

I hope that helps

Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD