adherence fatigue

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

adherence fatigue

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:22 am

Hi Jeff.

You recently updated your Top 10 reasons for failure. Can you elaborate on adherence fatigue, and how to manage that?

Thanks as always,
Lindsey
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: adherence fatigue

Postby JeffN » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:53 am

Lyndzie wrote:Hi Jeff.

You recently updated your Top 10 reasons for failure. Can you elaborate on adherence fatigue, and how to manage that?

Thanks as always,
Lindsey

Sure.

Adherence fatigue is similar to pandemic fatigue, treatment fatigue and as I mentioned, it is a feeling of fatigue over time for doing what is necessary to maintain adherence to the program (ie, special ordering, meal prep, preparing ahead for social situations) in a world that doesn’t support us.

For years, I have listened to clients talk about it not only in regard to adhering to the program but recovery from substance abuse, . They have done all the right things to maintain the program and have reaped the success of their actions but they get to a point where they just tire of having to do the “different” thing one more time. In treatment fatigue, is is tiring of having to organize their pills, remembering to take them, dealing with the side effects etc.

In regard to adherence fatigue and this way of life, it can come from any one of the things we do to maintain the lifestyle including (but not limited to)…

- feeling like an outsider
- having to special order when out
- having to always prepare ahead
- bringing your own food when out
- being different at social gatherings
- being asked over and over about their lifestyle choices
- having to set aside the time necessary to be active
- not being able to “indulge” in all “food” around them
- having to give up things they used to enjoy

Sometimes, people just tire of doing the right thing especially when it is outside the norm. Sometimes it comes even years after success and the initial thrill of getting well and overcoming their health challenges has waned.

Managing it will be dependent on the person, their situation, what is causing the fatigue. Maybe i will write a more in-depth article on it. I have asked Doug a few times to do a talk on it and maybe one day he will.

I am willing to bet that you, and many others here, have experienced this and can share your own example of it.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby wildgoose » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:53 am

I think it may also be related to decision fatigue and willpower fatigue, in that the more decisions you have to make / willpower you have to exercise (in various areas of your life, not just adherence), the more overwhelming it can seem — and thus the easier for your adherence to break down.

Those rotten little extinction bursts tend to crop up more often too. A pesky memory of a formerly eaten "food" comes back and taunts you, even though it probably wouldn’t taste that good if you ate it!

I agree, adherence fatigue would be a good topic for both an in-depth article by Jeff and a future Doug Lisle talk.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby JeffN » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:23 am

wildgoose wrote:I think it may also be related to decision fatigue and willpower fatigue, in that the more decisions you have to make / willpower you have to exercise (in various areas of your life, not just adherence), the more overwhelming it can seem — and thus the easier for your adherence to break down.

This is just another of the many reasons why keeping it as simple as possible is a key

https://www.drmcdougall.com/newsletters ... hy-habits/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby lucidguppy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:29 am

I agree that keeping it simple is key.

You need the bare minimum variety so that each individual dish doesn't get boring. Maybe seven simple recipes, and make 2-3 of them a week.

- WW pasta and sauce with veggies
- Veggie and bean soup - over brown rice
- I think I could eat thick cut air fried potato wedges every single day :lol: (steamed veggies on the side - with balsamic vinegar)
- Steamed potato or brown rice with beans and salsa
- brown rice and lentils - strictly McDougalized and Instant potted http://chefmichaelsmith.com/recipe/brown-rice-and-lentils/
- diced veggies and brown rice with asian type sauces

Looks like I need one more recipe - but I haven't hit any boredom yet. - If WW bread were a possibility (which it isn't for me) I'd make Jeff's perfect bean burgers. Maybe I could make buns out of air fried potato medallions.
lucidguppy

Postby curcubit » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:21 am

This is such a timely thread for me. I hit a snag this month and reading this makes me realize adherence fatigue is part of my problem. Jeff, you summed it up so eloquently.

That is why I am back at this forum after along absence, I find I need to reconnect with the "why" of what I am doing. Reading through posts here and checking in with some chef AJ interviews or listening to Doug Lisle lecture really re-dedicates me to the effort needed and I have been missing these inputs. YES! please ask Doug to do a talk on adherence fatigue. It is really hard to swim upstream all the time. I wish the bigger world supported this lifestyle more.

Thanks,
Curcubit
curcubit

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:55 am

Good morning,
so glad I read this discussion. I will never change this way of eating, but do admit to being tired of my food rotations/regimens. They are all perfectly good, tasty, nutritious, but it is the 'sameness' that is boring me. So I am trying to rotate different things - roasted brussel sprouts instead of broccoli, trying other recipes. It's hard for me to accept only eating the same few things for the rest of my life.
Anyway, very good concept to keep in mind.
Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Return to Jeff Novick, RD