Cooking red split lentils in the microwave

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cooking red split lentils in the microwave

Postby MyGuitarGentlyBeeps » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:28 am

Hello all, I am looking for advice on how to do the above. All the info I have found so far relates to green lentls and advises times between 14 and 24 minutes which I think is way too long.

I will be cooking 500g at a time in a 900w microwave, what sort of volume of water and cooking time would you start with to experimemt
MyGuitarGentlyBeeps

Re: Cooking red split lentils in the microwave

Postby QubitBob » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:32 am

I don't know why, but I'd never considered cooking lentils in the microwave before. Your question prompted me to search on Google. Most articles suggest 14 minutes for red split lentils, while one article stated 10 - 14 minutes. A number of the articles stated that you will get better results if you soak the lentils in water beforehand for at least one hour.
QubitBob

Postby MyGuitarGentlyBeeps » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:03 pm

Thanks Bob but this is what I mean - the artocles I saw also supposedly refer to red split lentils but you don't have to soak RSLs and 14 minutes is ginna be way too long.

I could do without the cost of having to waste batches by experimenting but looks like it'll have to be the way to go, I guess I will just have to eat whatever I produce! :D
MyGuitarGentlyBeeps

Postby Chumly » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:26 am

Just make sure you use a bowl that is really big. It can be very easy to boil over the sides, depending on what you're cooking.

Michael
Chumly

Postby MyGuitarGentlyBeeps » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:06 pm

Thanks Michael. Got a big mixing bowl type thing. Going to cover with boiling water and start at 5 mins.
MyGuitarGentlyBeeps

Postby QubitBob » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:10 pm

Thanks Michael. Got a big mixing bowl type thing. Going to cover with boiling water and start at 5 mins.

When you determine the correct cooking time, please come back to this discussion thread and let us know what you find. You have left me curious as to what the best time is.
QubitBob

Postby Chumly » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:27 am

I was surfing on Youtube and found an easy recipe for red lentil flatbread. I plan on making it this weekend. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaF29Echlsk

Michael
Chumly

Return to The Lounge