The word "vegan"

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The word "vegan"

Postby Theodore » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:11 pm

If there's one thing I've learned from the decade plus that I've been on the vegan scene, it's that there's a rather large number of vegans who are ready to twist people's words just to start an argument.
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:20 pm

f1jim wrote:Yes, preachy. I have found myself guilty of that characterization myself. Around sickly family and friends I can get a bit preachy. I have to reign that in from time to time. It's not a vegan thing, per se, but it's a personality thing many of us struggle with.
f1jim

My point was that you said it was only an attack on a diet, not on a person. Preachy doesn't describe a diet.

But here are more quotes that, to me, are designed to be insulting or offensive:
---------------------------
Vegans tend to be militant about their lifestyle, having a feeling of superiority over non-vegans. They also have the tendency to tell everyone they are a vegan, whether the person the person they are telling this to asked about it or not. I do not want to be associated with people like that in any way.
----------------------------------
There are also those of us who still cook non-vegan foods for our family, which REALLY sets those militant vegans into convulsions.
-----------------------------------------
Many, or most, vegans feel a sense of superiority because of what they do and don't eat and they are the type of person who lets it be known to everyone about how they eat, whether they care or not.
---------------------------------------
If there's one thing I've learned from the decade plus that I've been on the vegan scene, it's that there's a rather large number of vegans who are ready to twist people's words just to start an argument.
----------------------------------------
Many vegans only accept perfection.

(The last one isn't that bad but still, why say it? Why can't people just make a point without being insulting?)
Lesliec1

Postby Jordy Verrill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Lesliec1 wrote:
Jordy Verrill wrote:Many, or most, vegans feel a sense of superiority because of what they do and don't eat and they are the type of person who lets it be known to everyone about how they eat, whether they care or not.

Are we supposed to believe that you know "many" vegans? Isn't that really what a bigot is? Someone who generalizes about a whole group of people?

Vegans choose to be identified as vegans, and along with that choice comes the baggage of being part of a group that is (rightfully) viewed as being extremely judgmental of others lifestyle and food choices and being very preachy to those who choose not to be vegan.

You can continue to think I'm bigoted about vegans if you choose, that's not going to bother me since I don't think feeling the way I feel about a person who chooses to identify themselves as a member of such an overly judgmental group is being bigoted. I also think anyone who identifies themselves as a vegan and then gets upset at others judging and/or making generalizations about them is the definition of irony.

I feel the way I feel based on my experience with every self identified vegan I've ever met either in my real life or online, the number of which nobody on this forum other than myself could possibly know.
Jordy Verrill

Postby f1jim » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:44 pm

The words are insulting if you wear them. I don't, even if I exhibit traits that would tend to be used to belittle my views. I'll show you what I mean.
"Meat eaters don't care about their health or whether they get heart disease."
Now we hear that quite a bit not only on this forum but on many diet and nutrition boards. Perhaps it could be better worded to reflect more accuracy but many would say it's true. It's only true of a certain number of meat eaters and even then "don't care" is pretty all embracing. Should meat eaters get all up in arms about the comment. Most probably would let it roll off their backs and consider the "crazy, vegan, nutjob", that said it and move on.
Much of the comments you posted are not particularly pleasant to read as a vegan but not really an attack on them. Just a viewpoint we can civilly agree or disagree on. 10 years ago I would have labeled my sister as preachy. If I went up to her and told her she was preachy to her face it would be in poor taste. If I mention it in general conversation to someone I know preachy vegans thats not an attack. It's an observation, right or wrong. Since it's an observation I candidly see elements of myself in I can't in good conscience call it an attack. I certainly do see your point and I would ask those of us making such observations to be more respectful of feelings.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:44 pm

f1jim wrote: If I went up to her and told her she was preachy to her face it would be in poor taste. If I mention it in general conversation to someone I know preachy vegans thats not an attack. It's an observation, right or wrong.
f1jim

I do see your point to an extent. But if I said, "From what I know of Hispanics, many of them lie a lot and they don't care if they throw trash out their car window." Would that be OK to say? I hope not but I don't really understand the difference between saying preachy vegan or lying Hispanic.

I do see your point that people should not wear the insults but doesn't that mean that NOTHING is offensive? Say whatever you want and don't worry about how it's taken? Because the listener is always in the wrong if you offend them.
Last edited by Lesliec1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesliec1

Postby Jordy Verrill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Lesliec1 wrote:
f1jim wrote: If I went up to her and told her she was preachy to her face it would be in poor taste. If I mention it in general conversation to someone I know preachy vegans thats not an attack. It's an observation, right or wrong.
f1jim

I do see your point to an extent. But if I said, "From what I know of Hispanics, many of them lie a lot and they don't care if they throw trash out their car window." Would that be OK to say? I hope not but I don't really understand the difference between saying preachy vegan or lying Hispanic.

The difference, to me, is that you are born a Hispanic, but you choose to be a vegan. You can eat a vegan diet (as I do) and still not identify yourself from the vegan label and all that it stands for (as I also do).

How would anyone even know you are a vegan unless you tell them? And why would you tell them unless they ask about it?
Jordy Verrill

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Sorry Jordy Verrill, but you just seem way too angry about this. You seem to have a real hatred of vegans. So that's fine. There are groups of people that I have contempt for also but I hope I don't talk about it publicly.
Lesliec1

Postby Debbie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Lesliec1 wrote:
Debbie wrote:I dont see the offensive.

Oh well, I can't help you with that then. But if you go around calling people preachy or greasy, I'll have to stand by calling you insensitive.

I didnt ask for help as I see.

When I first learned of Dr. McDougall's program, I talked about it to everyone, constantly. Finally people started calling me PREACHY. Did I take offense? NO Why would I? I was being preachy.

When a family member was new in a certain religion, he talked about it to everyone that would listen, even some who didnt. Emails, phone calls, repeatedly askings to go to church. Constantly telling me why I was "worldly". I told this person he was PREACHY. Was I insensitive? Were they when they said it me? NO.

We only see offensive where we want. I think if someone here feels being called preachy as offensive, maybe its time to look in the mirror. If you see nothing preachy, then move on and shrug the shoulders and say thats their problem.

I am NOT insensitive. Hmmmm, should I feel offended you think I am? :roll:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Debbie wrote:I am NOT insensitive.

Agree to disagree.
Lesliec1

Postby Debbie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Lesliec1 wrote:
f1jim

I do see your point that people should not wear the insults but doesn't that mean that NOTHING is offensive? Say whatever you want and don't worry about how it's taken? Because the listener is always in the wrong if you offend them.

That is the second time in this thread Ive seen you reference race and compare it to being vegan. being vegan is not a race. They are not even remotely comparable.
Debbie

Postby Debbie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Lesliec1 wrote:
Debbie wrote:I am NOT insensitive.

Agree to disagree.

You can disagree, but since its not fact its only opinion, I think I should be offended.....you called me a name. :\
Debbie

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:24 pm

OK, might be a good point. What minority is a fair comparison? How about Christian which is a choice?
Lesliec1

Postby Debbie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Lesliec1 wrote:OK, might be a good point. What minority is a fair comparison? How about Christian which is a choice?

Perfect. They can be preachy ;-) I agree with you there. Are they greasy? I do not know so I wont comment. But I do know 1 greasy vegan.
Debbie

Postby Debbie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Debbie wrote:
Lesliec1 wrote:OK, might be a good point. What minority is a fair comparison? How about Christian which is a choice?

Perfect. They can be preachy ;-) I agree with you there. Are they greasy? I do not know so I wont comment. But I do know 1 greasy vegan.

BTW, I am Christian and I have been preachy with that along with diet. I am not offended when Ive been called this.
Debbie

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Debbie wrote:

Fine, "From what I know, a large number of hateful, ignorant Christians could care less about poor people." Is that OK to say?
Lesliec1

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge