MWL FEB 2010!! On plan and planning to stay that way!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: MWL FEB 2010!! On plan and planning to stay that way!

Postby deelightful » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Fun (ok, I lie, not so fun) story...

I had eaten poorly on Superbowl Sunday, I gave myself permission to go off MWL for the day. I ate pizza, ranch dip, chips and cookies, and drank some sodas. Then yesterday I added insult to my tummy injury again by having one deep fried item and a few lemondrop martinis at Claimjumper's in the afternoon.

Boy did I ever pay for it.

I went to the ER at about 2am with SEVERE stomach pain, it felt like gas but I wasn't producing anything, and I wanted to throw up but I couldn't... They ultrasounded me and found gallstones. I had sent my body into serious stress with a few very poor meal choices in a row.

Treatment? Extremely low fat diet. AKA McDougall's. And possibly even surgery if it reoccurs despite MWL lifestyle change.

Lesson hopefully VERY MUCH LEARNED, because that was SO VERY painful and it was my own fault for letting myself enjoy a free day.

The Dr was impressed when I told him that I had already been eating a VERY low fat diet. He 100% approved of it, and now I get to tell my coworkers that have all so generously been warning me every time I eat that I will become ill/anemic/protein deficient/waste muscle mass/ B vitamin deficient/ lethargic on my McD diet that it is Dr's ORDERS and they can shove it.

Hard lesson learned.
Mediocrity is no longer okay.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyE8bpS/]
[/url]
deelightful

Postby deelightful » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:11 pm

Thank you vibrant, I am eating salt free rice cakes and taking my drugs like a good girl. I think I feel better right now just cause of the drugs, but I will use this to keep myself pretty strictly on MWL/ back on track. SAD food is SO NOT worth putting myself thru this again...

Thanks again :)
Mediocrity is no longer okay.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wyE8bpS/]
[/url]
deelightful

Postby Letha.. » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Good afternoon all,
Just stopped by to say hi. I’m still on plan. Down 195 pounds since September 2008. Need to lose another 177 pounds. I want to do Mary’s Mini with brown rice consistently but I keep adding in oats and potatoes so I guess I’m really doing a very simple MWL. I continue to lose slowly. Wish it were faster but I’m sticking to it and headed in the right direction. I’m still not exercising much but hope to change that down the road. Hope all of you are making happy progress toward your goals.
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Vegeloon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:46 pm

deb - so sorry you are having a tough time right now. Keep breathing and just do the best you can at any given moment. Take care.
deelightful - isn't it amazing what our bodies can put us through? life lessons can be incredibly hard at times.
vibrant - thanks for sharing your story.
This group is so wonderful - I'm glad to be a part of it. We all have our struggles and our moments of triumph and we get to share it all together!
What would Mc Dougall do?
Vegeloon

Postby vickidau » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

(edit)
Last edited by vickidau on Wed May 12, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vickidau

Postby shelleybean » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:43 pm

Still on plan! It's gotten a bit harder this week as I'm in my PMS zone. This has always been my stumbling point so I'm white knuckling it for the moment. I really wanted a sweet today and I'm home for the afternoon so I looked up a baked apple recipe from the March 06 newsletter. It's an apple & yam bake and it was delicious. The yams are very filling and the apples sweet and tasty with cinnamon on them. It also warms up the oven and gives me the "baked good" feeling. :) I was a sucker for baked goods and they really pack on the pounds for me.

I'm sorry to hear that folks are having a tough time. I kept getting messed up during periods of stress too. It's not easy then to keep on plan. I never found the off plan eating helped much though and it carried lots of regrets with it. :(

I'm wondering about one thing that seems to be happening with me. I lost dramatically in the first week and now my weight is edging back up a wee bit. Is it cycle related possibly? It is a bit discouraging, but I'm determined to keep on doing MWL at least for a few months. I feel like 175 is a plateau point for me. It's an awful high place to plateau. :(

-Shelley
shelleybean

Postby TheRealMe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting and yesterday was my official start day 216.3. I'll weigh back in on Friday even though it will only be half a week.

I'm not sure what my final weight goal is so I am just aiming for 10 lbs at a time. The doc says 150 would be fine, but I'd love to see 137 or less again. We'll see.
The Real Me

Starting weight 216.3 first goal is 150

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5Gxgaq/]
[/url]
TheRealMe

Postby Yomom » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:48 pm

So far, so good on plan today. Oatmeal for breakfast and rice with kale & mushrooms for lunch. I also baked some potatoes to have later.
It is snowing here. I will shovel later when it stops.
Cheers to all of you.
Yomom

Postby TheRealMe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:05 am

I had a decent day yesterday. Probably the only thing I ate that I could have done better on was a bowl of cereal with soy milk for my evening snack. Even so I was down more this morning. Of course, I realize the first week will probably be fluid..lol.

How do you stay on plan and travel? None of the fast food places near our main office have a salad bar. (2 hours from home) I can do the steak house in the evening because they have a great salad bar. For lunch would Subways veggie sub with no cheese, mayo or oil work if I did it on whole wheat?

Thanks for letting me join in with your group. I'll try to figure out how to add a signature later today. (I'm slacking at work right now. :nod: )

The Real Me
The Real Me

[/url]
TheRealMe

Postby Yomom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 am

Snow on the ground but it is sunny here, a rarity, which lifts my spirits. Just returned from walking the dogs and I'm happy to report that I am on plan again today.
I hope y'all are having a good day.
Yomom

Postby NatureRabbi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:40 am

Hi All
Sending blessings and support to all who are struggling. I am on plan but losing slower than I want, so I keep telling myself to be patient -- I am heading in the right direction.

Deb - special blessings heading your way. One suggestion that works for me in helping me sleep/rest/relax:
I work as a trauma chaplain during the evening shift. I get home about 1 a.m. and want to sleep well so I can have the day to do all the things I enjoy doing and now sleep it away. I was finding it difficult to let go of all of the trauma and drama of the evening and it would take me several hours to unwind.

Now, when I come home, I get to bed as soon as I can, but I go with a headset and meditation recording (mine is on my iphone, but a cd or tape player would work) I use meditation/hypnosis tapes for relaxation, and stress reduction. Sometimes I have to listen to it several times, but I think my body relaxes and doses. I think this is better for me to do this than to read or play on the computer after work and I feel more rested during my sleep.

Just a thought.

Although one hypnosis guy says, "you are getting heavier" -- I don't listen to him any more!! haha

And remembering to Breathe is always great advice.

Hang in there -- we are hanging with you.
ann
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2hFRfm/]
[/url]

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN AND HEALTHY FEELS.
NatureRabbi

Postby SactoBob » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:30 am

Deb -
This could be more transition symptoms. My symptoms were quite flu-like, and I thought I was getting sick during that time. Of course, there is a nasty infection going on around here, and you could be getting sick.

Just keep your focus on the plate, and not the scale, and you can't go wrong.
SactoBob

Postby NatureRabbi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:25 pm

I need to give myself a pat on the back. I have been stuck between two sizes for a few weeks now -- using tight belts to hold up baggy pants (lovely sight) and not being able to get the next size zipped; or if zipped, being able to breathe.

Today, as I got dressed, I tried on that next size and voila, it zipped and I can breathe. Yippee.

On to the next size down ---- visualize success.

on plan and planning to stay that way.

ann
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w2hFRfm/]
[/url]

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN AND HEALTHY FEELS.
NatureRabbi

Postby TheRealMe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Yay! On the next size down in pants. I hate that in between.

Sorry sickness is going around. It is going around here, too. I'm trying to avoid it, but three out of five days of the work week I'm exposed to the public.

I've not done perfectly today. I was on the basic plan, but not MWL. I ate a vegan biscuit made with vegetable oil and soy milk. I ate it with my beans that I had brought from home for lunch. Was supposed to be beans and rice but I dumped my rice in the floor this morning when I was packing. :crybaby:
The Real Me

[/url]
TheRealMe

Postby Sierra » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:02 am

I lost 2 lbs for the week, and was 100%MWL.
Sierra

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program