August 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby JeffN » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Idgie wrote:Totally agree. That is, 1x per week is probably optimal for most people, but if something else keeps you compliant, then do that.

Fortunately, if the scale goes up, it doesn't make me sad or want to quit, it just makes me want to have a more compliant day. I also love looking at my daily weight graph, because it shows that there are LOTS of up days in a trend that shows 26 pounds lost in under 7 weeks.

Congratulations.

Yes, 1x/day is fine just as long as the person understands that there is always daily fluctuations and why they exist.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Hatsie2012 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:20 pm

I'm excited to jump in. I'm an alumna of the 10-day program and have drifted over time back up to now 176 lbs. I'd feel a lot better at 160, and I know I'd feel great at 150. I think in the moth of August I should be able to lose 1-2 lbs/week if I can really apply all that I've learned. I think for me fat (in my food) is definitely the problem, so on the plus side it should be an easy one to fix.
Hatsie2012

Postby Rosey » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Geez this year seems to be going so fast. Ready for rest of it though.
Rosey

Postby Jobet » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:18 am

I had a loss of 1.1 this week.

I took last month off from this thread, as it was a super busy month, with family birthdays, gatherings, etc. and I suppose I was a bit afraid I'd have nothing but gains to report. I got through each family dinner, not MWL compliant, although McDougall compliant, and still lost a couple pounds last month. (Couldn't resist my sons's Alfredo, which is made with cashews in the sauce. And, on another occasion I ate one of my DIL's carrot dogs with bun and and brownies. All WFPB made with no added oils.) My son and family have only been cooking and eating this way for a few months and their food is incredible. I keep telling them they should open a WFPB restaurant!

Also, last month I had a HUGE-for-me light bulb :idea: moment! It came about through a post by Jeff N. I posted about it here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58274

I've never cared for soup. I grew up in FL and we didn't eat soup. My parents were beef roast, potato and gravy people, my dad raising his own dairy and beef cattle. I'm guessing because it was normally hot weather my mom just didn't make soups. Consequently, other than French Onion or Creamed Broccoli in restaurants, I've never eaten much soup in my lifetime.

But, after reading Jeff's post, I made a huge Instant Pot of vegetable soup. It was DELICIOUS!! I started having the soup first, before the rest of my meal, and sometimes I only had soup "as my meal"! I even have it for breakfast and haven't tired of it yet. Sometimes I eat it near or at room temperature because it's been so hot here, and it's even tastier because I can taste the flavors better. It satisfies me so much more than salad ever has. And, I can't believe what it has done for my budget. The salads were really costing me a lot, and on my meager budget, it was getting hard to afford. I don't care for salad made ahead, so was making those fresh daily. I have no place to garden so was relying on supermarket plastic containers of salad greens, and occasional Saturday farmer's market fare. Couldn't find a salad dressing I cared for, except the 3-2-1 dressing (apple cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup), which in itself gets expensive.

From Jeff:
When we look at the research on this, the form of vegetables that lowered overall calorie density the most and was the most filling, was vegetable soup.

Salads can be very time consuming (and expensive), which are often key issues for many. All the time and energy (and $$) often expended are not only not necessary, it may not be the best way to incorporate veggies in regard to MWL.

Thanks again, Jeff, for your research and wisdom. It has definitely proven true in my life!!

PS: Sorry this was sooooo long!!
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Addicttofood » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:34 am

I have lost 2 pounds this week and intend to weigh myself every day to motivate me. I don't have the self-discipline wait for every Friday to weigh my every Friday because it would drive me up the wall.
Addicttofood

Postby Idgie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:45 am

Today's weight is 306.6, down 2.8 from last week, but up 2.6 from yesterday. I've been doing fine, but yesterday, I had a tooth pulled and went on antibiotics, as well as eating a whole cup of store-bought hummus, which probably had about five times the fat and salt I usually eat in a day. But it's fine; it was a rare splurge, and my weight is up, but I'm feeling great otherwise, and ready to eat healthy soft foods today (boiled potatoes, veggie soup, etc.) and move forward.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Rosey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:27 am

From 279.6 lbs last week to 276 lbs = 3.6 lb loss this week.
Rosey

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:30 am

My weight today is 157.2, so I'm down 2.6lbs from last Friday. I'm pretty excited that I had a loss this week, I stuck pretty well to MWL but still hadn't eliminated all the calorie dense foods or started to limit fruit. I'm going to be interested to see how 100% compliance works out for the coming week.

Seems like the August group is starting out in a good groove!
Mark Cooper

Postby victw » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:03 am

Hi all,

I'm down 2.6 for the week.
I like to look back a month - it was 4.2 for the last 4 weeks. This week was a bit of a swoosh week.

Well here's the deal. I hit my goal. BMI of 22. Wow - I'm still in a bit of shock. This time around it was a bit like a second honeymoon. I've had steady weight loss since February. I'm grateful that the on switch is on in my brain. Because I have no way of understanding - how far years I was allowing my weight to creep up when I knew the principles. Human Beings are interesting creatures.

I'm still not sure about moving from what has been mostly MWL to regular maintenance. I'm intrigued by the phrase "right size body" that I have heard via Bright Line Eating. For me that might actually mean my college or high school weight. But I'm not 100% what those are.

Last week when I had no fruit and ate jicama instead I ended up with the bloating and gastro intestinal distress that people complain of when first McDougalling. Strange to have it so late in the process. Bottom line it's hard to imagine eating more food than I currently do - so I will likely experiment with adding nuts back in to my meals. I'm not really an avocado lover - although I do like a good guacamole.

I'm still not where I would like to be in terms of automatic habits that don't require any thought. In fact I get a little panicky when due to external forces my automatic habits are disrupted.

Bottom line - still a work in progress.

I'm really thankful for this thread.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Idgie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Vic, way to go on your goal!!!

You got me thinking about what I want to reintroduce after MWL. Probably something like this:

More fruit
Pasta
Bread and other whole-grain flour products
Higher-fat veggies (olives, avocados, coconut, etc.)

I figure I'll do them one at a time, like after an elimination diet, and see how it goes.

My ultimate goal is to lose 130 pounds, and to stay on MWL until I've lost that much.* I've lost around 1/5 of that, so I have a while before I have to make the transition.

(* I have a deal with myself that if MWL gets too hard, it's fine to do regular McDougall; after all, that's still MILES better than the way I ate before I started. You don't even want to know how much butter and mayo I ate.)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
Idgie

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi everyone. I am down to 200.0 down 2.0 pounds since my 8/1 check in. I have been 100% McDougall compliant and probably 80% or more MWL compliant for about 8 days now. I feel good - a lot of what has been shed is water weight but it's nice to see the swolen ankles going down, etc.

Thank you Amanda for the warm welcome! I look forward to getting to know everyone! Idgie (did I spell that right? Maybe not..) I had 4 teeth pulled a couple weeks ago - yikes - so I can feel you on the recovery, the :twisted: antibiotics, etc.

Onward and forward!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Idgie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:42 pm

Good job, Lizzy! Yep, spelled my name right. Thanks!
Idgie, Southern CA
Idgie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:33 pm

WOW!!! :D A big congratulations to the Group on this week's weight loss!!!

So glad to see familiar faces and meet some new ones on this thread...

Amy - your pictures from July thread are beautiful!!!

Lizzy - Your dog avatar is beautiful!!

Lyndzie - your baby is beautiful!!

Jobet - So cool that you have found a new favorite food!! I loved reading your post! Personally, eat soup hot or cold - for any meal or snack of the day and am also happy with it either as a starter or main part of meal. I tried a new recipe this week for minestrone and it was awesome!!

Woot woot to you all who posted results already!! Idgie, Lizzy, Vic, Mark, Rosey, Addicttofood, Jobet :)

Awesome plan, Hatsie2012 and Squealcat!

I'm down .8 lbs. this week. Appreciated Amy's initial post - especially - "be aware that the good habits you develop in order to lose weight will continue to be necessary to maintain it." Think I am within 10 lbs. of not losing weight anymore (not needing to lose weight anymore?) - not sure what # it should be. When I started, my thought was that I don't want to be hungry and I don't want to have to do excessive exercise to maintain a weight. So, just trying to proceed as I intend to continue... :cool:

Wishing everyone a great week!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Rosey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Woot way to go everyone.
Rosey

Postby Jobet » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:19 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:
Jobet - So cool that you have found a new favorite food!! I loved reading your post! Personally, eat soup hot or cold - for any meal or snack of the day and am also happy with it either as a starter or main part of meal. I tried a new recipe this week for minestrone and it was awesome!!

I'm down .8 lbs.

Cheers,
Stephanie

Thanks, Stephanie. Always nice to meet another soup lover. I'm definitely a part of that club now. Incorporating the soup has helped me to see a steady loss, where before I was up two pounds, down one, rinse and repeat. It was very discouraging. Who thought simple old soup could make such a difference.

I have to admit, I haven't used a recipe for soup yet, just add what I have or what's on sale, spices I like, and Wham! it's all been good so far and very similar to minestrone.

Congrats on your overall success, and your loss this week. :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program