August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Expat in NZ » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:49 am

Weigh in - Aug 1 193.4
Aug 7 191.8lb
Aug 14 - 190.5lb (-1.3lb from last week)

I did well with all the principles but today I admit I had a single square of 80% dark chocolate and it was honestly enough. It’s almost “that time” and I can remember not so long ago having been through wayyyyy too many brownies by this time in my cycle so - I would call that a win!

I have been eating really simply and my one weakness (sriracha) is what I use as a condiment on everything from greens to potatoes. It’s amazing on steamed kale!

Overall very pleased with my loss this week as I thought for sure I would be bloated like normal, but nope! :)
American Expat, wife, mom of 2, weightlifter, foodie
Started McDougall June 2020 - 93kg (204.6lb)
Aug 1 2020 - 87.9kg (193.4lb)
Goal weight - 60kg (132lb)
One day at a time!

Expat in NZ

Postby Kelly140 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:28 am

This week: -1
Total: -5.5

Did well this week on all points. I am so happy to see weight loss with no calorie counting and feeling satisfied after meals. I still need to increase activity, though, and that is my goal this week.
Kelly140

Postby Zoey » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:03 am

Hello fellow Losers!

This morning I came in with a 1.8 loss since last week, fiiiiiiiiinally. I am such a snail. Doing this since May just to get to/past the ten pound loss mark, but I keep posting in case maybe someone else out there is going through the same thing and feeling frustrated.
I realize that if I continue at this snail's pace, I'll be exactly where my vanity wants me to be by Christmas, all without having suffered at all. So it's not such a bad deal, right?

No confessions for this week, as I had a pretty easy time of it on all points.

Mark, as for last week's report, you asked if there were any changes that caused me to cave on the bread one day and the dried fruit on another day. No, I just plain wanted them. haha But they aren't trigger foods for me like crackers are, so I could do the 'one and done' with those particular foods.

But I'm glad I was good this week. Keep going, everyone! You are all very motivating to me!
Zoey

Postby Lachoffman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:10 am

Weekly Weigh in: 191 (2 lb. Loss)
Total Loss since July 4, 2020: 25 lbs
Start: 216

This was a good week, especially since I've been out of town since August 3. Walked 45+ minutes every day and stayed on MWL program every meal but one - ate at a restaurant where I ordered a black bean burger on lettuce with a plain baked potato. I don't think black bean burgers are on MWL? I tried two recipes this week: McDougal's Zucchini Corn Salad and a vegan version of Cowboy Caviar, both of which were delicious.

With regard to the MWL 10-Point Checklist, I am compliant in all BUT I still use a little soy creamer in my daily coffee. The suggestion to eat a salad or soup or fruit with every meal is brilliant. It really helps me not to overeat.

Looking forward to the coming week. Praying that everyone has a great week and achieves their goals.
Lachoffman

Postby cmurphy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:47 am

Weight loss:-1.2 lbs

Back slid a bit on 3,6, and 7. (Had several occasions for easy mindless-eating that I didn't pay attention to, until afterward!) And exercised only 3/7 days. Hope to improve on that this next week.(walking with a friend in a few hours, today!)

I have re-armed myself (my kitchen) with baby carrots, shredded cabbage, watermelon and miniature apples, and cooked a Layered Bean Casserole, putting it into single servings for freezer. So I won't find myself so unprepared when sly munchie-mood hits me again this week!

Best wishes, all!
cmurphy

Postby minisweet » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:58 am

Good morning!
Last week weight: 205.8
This week weight: 206.6
Weight gain: .8 lbs.

This week has been a rough one for me in the eating department. I do well for breakfast then it usually all falls apart. Had a birthday party for a friend last week with hamburgers, hot dogs, cheesecake, etc. Hot dogs are one of my weaknesses and I scarfed a few right down, along with a big serving of cheesecake. Yesterday I cooked the rest of the hot dogs and ate all four of them at one sitting. I feel like crap today. The one good thing about this week is that I went for a nice long walk on Tuesday and I've been doing a lot of squats for exercise. That feels good. I don't want to quit posting in this group because then I would feel like I've given up which is what I've done my whole life. I get a lot of inspiration from reading the posts. Today will be another reset for me, so I can get myself back on track.
Thanks for listening,
Sarah

Starting weight 225 lbs. 5/25/20
minisweet

Postby GreenFroG » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:12 am

Hi all,

weight loss: -0.02
weight: 151.4

Review of weeK:
1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :)
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. :arrow: need to watch how much fruit I eat; had a more than my 2 servings a day the last two days
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :)
4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :)
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)
6) Eliminate any added oil. :)
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :)
8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :arrow: Ate past full a couple of times the last two days. I have been feeling really drug out and so found myself eating more for comfort than because I was hungry.
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :arrow: Walked every morning this week, but did not exercise in the evenings as I have been. I think I am struggling with the heat or fighting something. Found myself more sedentary this week.

Overall I struggled this week with just eating more than I should. What I ate was compliant, but I found I ate more fruit, ate past full, or just ate because I felt out of sorts. Hoping to feel better this next week and to get back into a routine. At least my weight didn't go up.

Have a good week.
GreenFroG

Postby Growing a Pear » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:59 am

Good morning, all. Net rolling average this week: -0.4#
SW this week: 145.5#
CW: 145.1#
GW: ~135#

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :!:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. Choose fruit for dessert. :-D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. :-D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :-D
6. Eliminate any added oil. :-D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. :idea:
8. Don't drink your calories. :-D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :-D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :idea:

Early in the week I got busy with work and unexpected distractions. That meant less exercise than idea, but the real issue is I fell down on meal prep. I went 3 days without having soup in the fridge and falling down on #1 was directly responsible for falling down on #7. (Not on Clif Bars, though; I seem to have successfully labeled these as non-food. It was the mindless drifting to my husband's dry cereal cupboard, then the mindless eating it by the handful so I couldn't track how much I ate. Yeah, not so mindless.)

Anyway, a few good developments from the same:
1. I have a tomato-veg-wild rice soup in the fridge that is delightful to eat and simple to make. My goal is to not short myself on #1 again.
2. Am back on track with a lesser-but-more-regular exercise expectation. I feel that consistency is more important than peak athletic performance. As if. ;)
3. I followed up on a comment you made to another poster, Mark, and have small servings of cooked steel cut oats cooked, cooled, and waiting in the fridge. When I feel snacky, I warm a few frozen berries to pour over the top, along with their juices, and feel like I'm having a decadent pudding while still meeting the 50:50 guidelines.

I feel like I'm learning how to make this work for me while still marching toward a healthier week. So all in all, though I wasn't perfect, I'm happy with this week's progress.
I just want to emphasize: It is the QUALITY of the food, not the QUANTITY. You are guaranteed success when following a starch-based and a simple diet. Monotony can be a key helper. ~Dr. John McDougall
Growing a Pear

Postby Drew* » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:11 am

Weekly stats:
8/15: 172.2 lb -.1 lb
BMI: 25.25

Points of success:

Losing .1 pound is not a lot, but also not a gain. Last week I lost a lot of water weight because of cutting out most salt. So I would call this week a success.

At a gathering (mostly outdoors) after a funeral for my mom's sister, I was really good at grabbing a SNAP meal in a container until satisfied. It took three SNAP meals to do the trick. This was better than grabbing chips or other items on the counter.

Challenges

In late July, Mark wrote: "...there is perhaps a useful distinction to be made between being 100% adherent 75% of the time vs. being 75% adherent 100% of the time - the latter would indicate that there is a problem that needs to be solved in regard to the overall pattern of behavior and routine, whereas the former seems to indicate a need for devising and implementing some strategies to solve problems attached to specific incidents, situations and environments."

So in my journal I have given myself a thumbs up or a thumbs down based on 100% compliance in a given day. If, for instance, I have added oil with a meal, it would be a thumbs down and even if a small amount. So there are a possible 70 thumbs up in a given week. This week I had 81% compliance with MWL (57 thumbs up). The goal is to figure out ways to raise the number of thumbs up.

What needs greater attention?

Friday, I did not do so well with most items except with my vegan ways. The challenge will be to reach for cooked cereal with fruit in the morning and resist any temptation. I cannot get rid of the non-MWL items in the freezer, but can make a decision with each meal on a daily basis. So, the effort begins again today! And I had the cooked 7 grain cereal with fruit.

General impressions: Exercise went well this week with 30+ minute average of daily exercise of running, straight-lifts, and yoga. Today my wife and I will hopefully go for a hike.

Drew*
Last edited by Drew* on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drew*

Postby NateKruse » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:38 am

Height: 6' 5"
03 January 2020 weight: 276.6 pounds.
26 June 2020 weight: 217.6 pounds.
31 July 2020 weight: 221.6 pounds.
07 August 2020 weight: 221.6 pounds.
15 August 2020 weight: 221.0 pounds.

Change this week: -0.6 pounds.
Change this year: -55.6 pounds.

I haven't been as diligent with starting every meal with a soup or a salad. I've been having way more than 2 servings of fruit each day.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.NO
  2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
  3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
  4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
  5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
  6. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
  7. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO
  8. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
  9. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).YES
NateKruse

Postby OrangeBird » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:02 am

CW 227.6
+.6 lbs for the week.

I had takeout Chinese food Tues/Wed. While it was only veggies with brown rice with minimal sauce, clearly it was enough to throw me off track in the fat and sodium dept. I definitely noticed I was hungrier on Weds which I feel like was an impact of the added ingredients. Aside from that the week was good. Have been on track with activity every day. Hope to have a better week next weigh in.

43 days to my daughter's wedding :shock:
OrangeBird

Postby Pattyj115 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:34 am

This Week loss: +/- 0
Total Change as of July 3 2020 : - 8.0

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit: NO
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals: YES
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts: YES
4) Eliminate all animal foods: YES
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods: NO
6) Eliminate any added oil: YES
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods: NO
8) Don’t drink your calories: YES
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full: YES
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily: PT exercises daily AND 20 min 3 mile bike ride; pool laps, easy kicking and arms YaY!!

Comments: Somewhere midweek I lost my momentum and did not follow #1, #5 & #7 100%. I can make excuses or give reasons but really it does not matter. I simply gave in, period!! I did do one good improvement, #10. I got out early and took a 3 mile bike ride. Also swam a few laps the following night, so considering it has been months that I have been able to do much of anything physical, I feel pretty good and positive about that! My plan is to ride every other day for now, and swim at the end of the day if pain level is low YAYAYAY! This is really huge for me. I had no loss this week & I had NO gain this week!! It’s a WIN for sure!
Pattyj115 -- I want to feel younger next year!!

Pattyj115

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:42 am

Re: Michelle’s Loosing Fibromyalgia and Weight Journal

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:51 am
SW: 241.9
GW: 150.0

Last Week: 216.0
This Week: 215.4
Total Lost: 25.6 pounds

Lost: 0.6 pounds

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert
.:thumbsdown: I was good with this until the massive heat wave hit California. I've only one air conditioned room and the kitchen is unbearably hot until about 10pm these days. I didn't plan this into my food order and still haven't figured out a no cook MWL plan - right now it's over loading fruit which I rationed until the next shop - so I best get a plan fast :lol:

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy)
.:thumbsdown: Ate 3 chocolate candies.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking)
.:thumbsdown: The good news is that the toes are improving somewhat and I think I can walk without pain or tingling becoming too bad. However, it's too hot here now and the air quality is too bad to be out and about for the unforeseeable future. I have a weather app that shows the best time to exercise for your location - it literally shows no time what-so-ever :lol:

Observation for the week -- It was my birthday this week and because of Covid - I missed my usual family gathering celebrating our August births. So, luckily temptations avoided there - until, I opened one of the gifts from my Aunt - the two layer box of See's chocolates. :eek: However - we have had other birthdays and celebrations noted this month on the weekly weigh-in pages - and I was plenty inspired by the will power shown by those folks! So my plans was I picked out 3 candies and literally flushed the rest :lol: I don't regret the three as - yikes - that stuff tastes terrible now and it was a good reminder for me that I am missing nothing! Also, looks like my weight loss has slowed - actually I had a good week last week and I think so this week as well - but due to our massive heat wave here - and the fact that it's not cooling off at nights I'm hydrated to the point of waterlogged. I pretty much sipped my way through the miserably hot nights and got on the scale to find I gained a lot in the last two days. Gaining yet eating nowhere near the amount I usually do. Another contributor I think is dinner time is now late at night when it cools down enough to venture into my kitchen - last night that was 10 pm. That doesn't work well for me weight loss wise. One great thing though ---- I know I am tolerating the heat much better due to the 25 pounds I have lost --- and that's pretty cool :lol:

Thanks fellow MWL folks, Mark, Goose and Jeff for all the good examples and advice - here's to your good health - Michelle
lmggallagher

Reporting for August 14 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:00 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for August 14 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:01 pm

pootsy - I'm excited to see you reporting again, and delighted that you are getting back on track! Having adherent food, that you enjoy eating, ready and easily accessible can indeed be a "game changer." :nod: Often, the more we pay attention to planning and preparation, the easier it becomes to adhere to the recommended pattern of behavior.

Joanne_elon - Another pound bids farewell! How do you feel the week went for you overall?

ceeceeb - Cheers to starting the week off right! Seeing the posts and reports from our diverse group of participants really helps to provide a picture of how to make this pattern of behavior work, along with that welcome feeling of solidarity, I think. In Jeff's ingenious template, SNAP stands for a "Simple Nutritious & Affordable Plan." Have an excellent week 1!

Dot - It seems to me you are doing a pretty great job adhering to the MWL 10-Point Checklist! Including a starch component in your snacks is not a problem (probably even preferable, depending on the circumstances); the closer you can bring the ratio of starches to fruit (or non-starchy vegetables) to 50/50 for that snack, the better to optimize both satisfaction and calorie dilution.
JeffN wrote:A meal of 50% starch and 50% vegetables by volume would have a very low calorie density. So, a bowl of 50% oatmeal and 50% berries by volume or a bowl of 50% rice and 50% veggies by volume may be the better choice. You get the starch to help satisfy you and the fruit and/or veggies to help lower the calorie density.
I think you are wise to expect the "going to be slow" for the last 10 lbs; try not to worry about that and maintain focus on the recommended behaviors - I think you are doing really well!

VivianS - The scale continues its downward journey! I very much agree that not "eating the first one" could be helpful for omitting those Pringles from your food choices. If you want to make things really easy for yourself, what might happen if you removed the Pringles from your environment completely? Let me reiterate that a sprinkle of salt on the surface of one's food is acceptable within the MWL guidelines.
JeffN wrote:In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out.
Something that sometimes helps avoid incidents like those "tax bites" you describe (or generally taking that first bite of troublesome foods) - try promising yourself that you will always eat something adherent BEFORE deciding to "try" those non adherent foods. I'm thrilled to know the SNAP meals are working out for you (and your friends)! :D

goal140 - Hello! Glad to have you back and happy you are moving closer to being back on track. I think sometimes that experience you describe of being full, but not satisfied can be driven by the Pleasure Trap; Dr. Lisle's lectures discussing the Pleasure Trap and the Cram Circuit could offer some insight. On the opposite end of the spectrum, that sensation can perhaps arise from focusing too much on non-starchy vegetables, while neglecting to include an adequate volume of starches; that can result in bingeing because of insufficient satiety - Jeff discusses this in Finding The Sweet Spot: Balancing Calorie Density, Nutrient Density & Satiety.

VNiehoff - Down another 1.4 lbs! Your weight loss has been quite consistent the past couple of weeks! Clearly, you are being mindful about following the recommendations. :D Enjoy the water exercising!

Dahabeena - Hello! I'm so happy you were able to report this week! After that big loss in the previous week, I don't think it is too surprising to see a more modest result for this weigh-in. It seems you have made a really strong start implementing the guidelines! Bringing your focus onto the 50/50 plate for the upcoming week makes sense to me; it sounds like that is the area that offers the most significant opportunity. The primary concern with hot sauces, salsas (I assuming they are commercial products, rather than homemade), &c. is the added salt. Many of those store bought condiments can be quite high in sodium so, if you choose to include them, they should be used minimally, as condiments; try to find versions that satisfy Jeff's guidelines, or make your own adherent versions if you are able. Keep up your excellent attentiveness!

texaslil - That does look to me like a week that was "mostly good!" Nice work not letting the off plan Chipotle meal turn into the start of a setback. I'm elated to read that exercise has you feeling very good! Are the smoothies fulfilling some particular role on those days you chose to include them, or just something you decided to have on the spot?

Renestl - Hang in there! When you are choosing to include those animal foods, higher fat plant foods, and calorie dense selections, is there a particular context to that? Are you choosing those things instead of adherent foods that you have available and ready, or are you turning to the troublesome options when you're "on the spot?"

Reni - Hello and welcome, Reni! I'm thrilled you've decided to join us! As you note, you know this program works from personal experience, and the MWL 10-Point Checklist sets up a clear roadmap for where to direct your efforts. I think starting a journal is a great idea; that can be such a valuable tool.

Lucas - Oh my! That sounds like it was a pretty alarming bike crash! I can understand how that may take daily exercise out of the frame for a little while. Concentrating on being prepared so your meals will satisfy the 50/50 guideline, and being mindful not to stuff yourself seem like sensible points to zero in on. Something else that might be worth trying is shifting the preload from mostly fruit, to more of a mix of soup / salad / fruit. I wish you a speedy recovery!

chef16 - Goodbye to 3 more pounds! Best wishes for your return to work! Keep doing your best with those points from the checklist, and finding that balance between starches and non starchy vegetables (aim for a roughly equal visual volume). That sensation you describe as "not feeling satisfied" - when that occurs are you craving specific foods, or just not physically satiated? Does it feel like a variety of foods exist that might be satisfying, or that only calorie rich foods will serve?

Expat in NZ - Another nice consistent drop! Sometimes one has to celebrate those wins where you find them - great work keeping that little digression to an absolute minimum! I would think the only potential concern with sriracha would be added salt (and perhaps added sugar, depending on the specific ingredients); if you are using it modestly, as a condiment in line with the recommendations for added salt, that would be fine. Being pleased and comfortable sounds like it made for a pleasant week!

Kelly140 - Fantastic! Keep up those excellent efforts! Something that really helped me to make daily exercise a habit was scheduling it into my routine each day; for others who are a bit less regimented, it can be useful to simply identify 2 or 3 times in the day where you have the opportunity to include exercise, and aim for taking advantage of the first that presents itself.

Zoey - Nice loss! I'm sure seeing that change on the scale felt very welcome! Taking stock of and appreciating where you can be by Christmas, continuing as you have been, without any "suffering" seems a very astute viewpoint to adopt! I think you are right that recognizing (and avoiding) one's specific "trigger foods" really helps smooth the path. Keep at it!

Lachoffman - Congratulations on your loss and for staying on track while out of town! I've never encountered a restaurant-prepared black bean burger that satisfied the MWL guidelines, they nearly always have oil or other problematic ingredients; the only commercially prepared burgers of which I'm aware that fit are those made by Engine2. Wouldn't it be great if some restaurant started serving Jeff's burgers? When you feel ready, think about how you might best eliminate that remaining soy creamer, if you can. Continue your impressive progress!

cmurphy - Still moving in the right direction! Have fun on that walk with your friend! Maybe you two can make that a regular thing? If those episodes of "mindlessly-eating" off plan foods were a result of being caught unprepared, then "re-arming" yourself with an adequate and easily accessible supply of the recommended foods is exactly the solution! Nice work!

minisweet - Take heart, Sarah! It is great that you can take pride in your diligent attention to exercise. As long as you keep trying your best to make these changes in behavior, you can't fail - so don't despair. Today is an excellent time to reset and make your choices congruent with your goals. When things feel like they "fall apart" after breakfast, what would you guess is driving that? Does it come from social situations? Inconsistencies in your daily routine? Stress? Lack of planning or preparation? Cravings? Not eating enough at breakfast? If you can identify the underlying factors and solve them, you should be able to make adherence more easy to attain. Try not to beat yourself up, making these changes is really difficult!

GreenFroG - Hang in there! We all have those weeks where something just feels "off," I think. In spite of those vagaries, it appears you didn't use that as an excuse to go off the rails, which is admirable! I wish you a speedy return to a nice, normal-feeling, routine week. :)

Growing a Pear - That rolling average, and your progress, continued in the right direction, even during a week with unexpected distractions and challenges! Great insight into how insufficient preparation can lead to difficulty in maintaining the appropriate balance of calorie density and satiety, which can then lead to reaching for more calorie dense options. Your success in well and truly turning the Clif bars into non-food makes me smile. Dry cereal was a particular problem food for me, too; especially "otherwise healthy" cereals without any other troubling aspects besides being calorie dense. Great work diagnosing ways to fortify your plan, and preparing appropriately! It certainly looks like you are really learning how to make this work for you. :thumbsup:

Drew* - Modest progress is definitely still progress, especially after last week's giant number! My condolences for the loss of your mother's sister. It seems like you managed your meals within the context of that remembrance gathering in exemplary fashion. In my own experience, planning is the solution for specific, anticipated events (e.g. social gatherings); preparation solves recurrent, regular daily challenges, if that makes sense. It's a question of thinking about how one can overcome a particular challenge vs. just needing to put in the "elbow grease" to make daily adherence attainable. I absolutely agree that each meal is an opportunity to make decisions in service to your end goals. Have a great time hiking with your wife!

NateKruse - Keep doing the best you can! It seems possible that more infrequent use of the preload could be contributing to turning toward more calorie dense foods and liquid calories. Or perhaps those arose from a specific situation?

OrangeBird - Good job paying attention and taking note of the apparent effect the deviations in your food choices had on your palate and impulses. Restaurant food can certainly be replete with oil and added salt, so it makes sense there would be an impact. Was there a particular reason you decided to order in the meals on those days? Well done working to have a good week, takeout aside. :nod:

Pattyj115 - Way to go with those big gains in activity! You deserve to feel positive about that! A less that perfect week can definitely still offer wins to appreciate. I can empathize with the notion that excuses "don't matter," with the caveat that it can sometimes prove helpful to think carefully about why we might lose momentum, and whether we might have chances to change our routine to better support our efforts. Cheers to the lovely days that end in relative comfort; a nice swim sounds like a great bookend for those occasions. YAY!

lmggallagher - That heat wave sounds stifling, Michelle! Do your best to keep cool and stay safe! I want to applaud your decision to flush away the majority of those birthday candies - very well done! It does sound like the three that remained served as a potent reminder of what you AREN'T missing, which is a useful reference point going forward. How fantastic that your toes are finally showing some noticeable improvement! I'm feeling hot and stuffy just thinking about the weather and air you're describing. :eek:
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program