January 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Lorna1954a » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:22 pm

I’m so sorry. I forgot to post. My mom is in the hospital in critical condition. I have been distracted.

Lorna
Lorna1954a

Postby amandamechele » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:18 am

Hi All!

Thank you so much for checking in this week. My favourite baby said it best...We rock! (...and we’ve rocked it to the tune of 100+ pounds!!!)

I thought I’d turn things over to the ghost-of-Jeff-Novick-past this week to talk a bit more about calorie density. It somewhat consistently trips me up and I thought it may also happen to some of you too. When we let it get a little too high, even when it’s with healthy foods, the weight loss stops and the disappointment starts. So, here’s a reminder on how easy it can be to eat your way out of a calorie deficit:
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Jeff Novick, MS, RDN

Have you ever ended up eating more calories then you intended? There are certain aspects of food that, when we eat till we are comfortably full, result in the unintended consumption of excess calories. This is called, Passive Overconsumption. We did not intend to overeat, but we did. Being aware of these aspects of food can help us minimize the potential to over consume calories. As you can see, these go right along with all of the principles of calorie density and there is some overlap to them.

Here are 10 factors that lead to passive overconsumption,

1. Higher Calorie Dense Foods
As the calorie density of the food goes up the more likely we are to over consume calories, especially as the calorie density goes over 700-1000 calories per pound. On a whole food, plant-based diet (WFPB), the foods that are over 1000 cal/lb are bread products (breads, bagels, crackers, dry cereals, tortilla's), dried/dry fruit, nuts, seeds and oils.

2. Higher Fat Foods
As the percentage of calories from fat goes up, the more likely we are to over consume calories, especially from added fats/oils. Adding fat/oil to food increase the overall percentage of calories from fat and the overall calorie density and decreases the overall satiety (per calorie). On a WFPB, the foods that are higher in fat are peanuts, soybeans, avocados, nuts, seeds and oils.

3. Liquid Calories
Liquid calories provide little to no satiety for their calorie load so they do not fill you up as much as solid foods of equal calories. For example, is much easier to over consume calories when consuming fruit juice, than the whole fruit. On a whole food, plant based diet, the most common liquid calories are fruit and vegetable juices and non-dairy milks.

4. Added Free Sugars
Free sugars are high in calorie density and low in satiety. As the percentage of calories from added free sugars in a food goes up, the more likely we are to over consume calories. Adding free sugars to food increase the overall calorie density and decreases the overall satiety (per calorie). This includes all added free sugars even those considered unrefined and/or natural like maple syrup, molasses, etc.

5. Flour (Bread) Products
Most all flour (bread) products are high in calorie density and low in satiety even if they are made from unrefined whole grains. On a WFPB diet, these foods include bread products (bread, bagels, dry cereal, crackers, tortillas) and baked chips.

6. Dry/Dried Foods
Food that is dried (&/or drier) and low in water have an increased calorie density and tend to be lower in satiety. On a WFPB diet, the foods that are dried/dry are dried fruits (raising, prunes), and naturally dry fruits (dates), bread products (bread, bagels, dry cereal, crackers, tortillas), baked chips, puffed cereals and popcorn.

7. Emulsifying, Pureeing, & Blending
Blending foods disrupts the fiber and reduces the satiety of the food. On the other hand, chewing food increases satiety. Examples of blended foods on a WFPB diet include smoothies, dried fruit/nut confections.

8. Hyper-Palatable Foods.
Foods that have been salted, sweetened or sauced stimulate the appetite and lead to over consumption. Reduce or greatly eliminate any added sugar, salt and/or oil/fat.

9. Vanishing Perceived Satiety
These are foods that appear to be high in satiety due to their large volume but are actually calorie dense and low in satiety. This is because their volume comes from air, which unlike water, does not provide the same weight for the same volume so is much less satiating. On a WFPB diet, foods that have vanishing perceived satiety include popcorn, rice cakes and puffed cereals.

10. Ultra Processed Foods
Ultra processed foods tend to be high in fat, calorie density, added salt/sodium, added sugar/sweeteners, refind flours and oil/fat, and low in fiber, water and satiety and so are easy to over eat on. Avoid ultra processed foods.

Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories

Best wishes to all of you this week!

Amy XO

Here are the results for the third week in January:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, January 25th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 107.93 pounds

January 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 107.93 pounds

Week ending 01/18/2019: 27 participants reported a total loss of 21.8 pounds
---------------------------------------
Fiftysix - 1.0
ANelson108 - 1.6
LauraG - 3.0
Dr10or - 1.8
Amandamechele - 0.6
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 8.0
--------------------------------------
Michele613 - 1.6
Agissell - 0.0
Alishana - 2.7
Anne57 - 0.0
ChasingHappy - 0.0
Moonlight - 1.0
Merwoman - 4.2
ColoradoHiker - 1.0
Humberto - 2.0
Rosey - 2.2
Ellen N - 4.0
Belana - 0.0
Dark Blonde - 0.5
Kerrilyn2 - 1.5
Linda Dorrill - 2.0
Artista - 0.0
Cena - 2.0
Frymom - 2.6
Gina Marie - 1.3
AnneG - 0.2
ForestGoddess - 1.0
Lorna1954a - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 29.8
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in January 2019: 107.93 pounds
Week ending 01/18/2019: 27 participants reported a total loss of 21.8 pounds
Week ending 01/11/2019: 28 participants reported a total loss of 61.93 pounds
Week ending 01/04/2019: 34 participants reported a total loss of 24.2 pounds
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:32 am

Sue - Thanks so much for the links. The asparagus basil soup is now on my list to make too!

Gina - Woo hoo! Congratulations on many great choices this week.

Michele - Your weight loss ticker is so cute. Are you a dog or cat person? Actually, I kind of wonder that about everyone here. I have 3 barn cats*, and currently no dog; we had a dog but he passed a few years ago and I just haven’t been ready for another since then. (*Calling them barn cats just sounds fancier than shed cats...we really just have a very large shed where we store firewood and hay... hmmm the fact that I have decided that either of those things is fancier than the other says a little something about me doesn’t it? Hee hee)

AnneG - Definitely in the right direction!

ForestGoddess - Those small changes are working. :nod:

Lorna - You and your mom will be in my thoughts this week. It will no doubt be stressful and quite difficult for you. I’m so glad you checked-in, but know that if this is just an added stressor that you can re-join later. Sending my love. XO. Amy.
amandamechele

Postby Dr10or » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:16 am

Rosey wrote:
not understanding your numbers. I've messed up and put them wrong so wondering if that's what you did. If so you can go in and edit it.

I don’t know if logging net loss from initial or change from previous week.

Change from previous week: +1.8 lbs

Thanks for checking!
Dr10or

Postby Rosey » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Dr10or wrote:
Rosey wrote:
not understanding your numbers. I've messed up and put them wrong so wondering if that's what you did. If so you can go in and edit it.

I don’t know if logging net loss from initial or change from previous week.

Change from previous week: +1.8 lbs

Thanks for checking!

It is change from previous week. Thanks for clarifying that.
Rosey

Postby Frymom » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:33 am

Hola de España!I am happy to be part of this group and wanted to share a couple of interesting things I have learned since starting MWL. My husband and I have been eating WFPB for 2 years now and have seen good results. My husband’s dangerously high cholesterol and HDL/LDL levels are now all in the acceptable range. We both lost weight, but he lost a lot of weight, even though he was tall and lean to begin with. Little by little the past few months as we traveled in Europe, and then all through the holidays, we let our good eating slip to poor habits again, and I knew I needed to rein in my eating again. During the holidays I always seemed to be hungry and I snacked a lot, mostly on the treats around the house and on the food we had purchased and made for our adult sons who were visiting for the holidays and don’t eat this way.
Well, once I started the MWL in January I focused on potatoes for most meals, adding veggies (a lot of salad and mixed veggies) and fruit to complement, plus one glass of unsweetened almond milk each day. The thing I noticed right away was my ravenous hunger went away. There were no more cravings of any kind. I filled up at each meal and I felt at peace with my food. I can’t tell you in words sufficient enough to describe what an incredible feeling that was...to be at peace with my food and not have it be a driving force in my life, fighting against my will to want to do better, but not being able to control my impulses and hunger. I think this is one of the greatest gifts of this program. To feel satisfied and at peace when it comes to eating.
Now let me share one more thing I learned about myself. One night last week I was feeling pretty hungry and I was worried that I had not eaten enough calories, even though I was full after each meal and was not trying to cut back. I decided I would step off MWL and step into WFPB regular diet for one meal/snack. I prepared a piece of WW toast with 100% almond butter, and some jam on top. As I ate it, my taste buds were excited and the beast within me began its rage...let me explain. One piece of toast was not enough. I felt even hungrier than before I had eaten the first piece of toast. One toast became two, then three, and finally four slices of almond buttered toast with jam. Now I felt over full and recognized I was out of control! It taught me that in that moment I was “Living to eat”, just for the pure joy of eating. When I eat MWL I am definitely “Eating to Live” and to satisfy my body’s needs, not my emotional needs. I feel much calmer and food is not on my mind. When my food choices are limited to what my body actually needs, I don’t hardly even think about food. It’s only when I step out of this space and open up a world of too many choices, flavors, and smells that I struggle to “Eat to Live” and fall into the trap of eating for enjoyment and thus losing control, fighting against my better judgement, and feeling disappointed in myself for over indulging like I have so many times before. I learned that limiting food choices to what we actually need is a lot easier than having lots of variety and fighting ourselves to stay in control when eating all those flavors and choices.

I hope this made sense and possibly helps someone who has had similar struggles. We can do this! Just remember we are eating to fuel our body with what it needs and that’s where we need to stay.
Buenos días
Chris
Frymom

Postby laurag » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Frymom wrote:Hola de España!I am happy to be part of this group and wanted to share a couple of interesting things I have learned since starting MWL. My husband and I have been eating WFPB for 2 years now and have seen good results. My husband’s dangerously high cholesterol and HDL/LDL levels are now all in the acceptable range. We both lost weight, but he lost a lot of weight, even though he was tall and lean to begin with. Little by little the past few months as we traveled in Europe, and then all through the holidays, we let our good eating slip to poor habits again, and I knew I needed to rein in my eating again. During the holidays I always seemed to be hungry and I snacked a lot, mostly on the treats around the house and on the food we had purchased and made for our adult sons who were visiting for the holidays and don’t eat this way.
Well, once I started the MWL in January I focused on potatoes for most meals, adding veggies (a lot of salad and mixed veggies) and fruit to complement, plus one glass of unsweetened almond milk each day. The thing I noticed right away was my ravenous hunger went away. There were no more cravings of any kind. I filled up at each meal and I felt at peace with my food. I can’t tell you in words sufficient enough to describe what an incredible feeling that was...to be at peace with my food and not have it be a driving force in my life, fighting against my will to want to do better, but not being able to control my impulses and hunger. I think this is one of the greatest gifts of this program. To feel satisfied and at peace when it comes to eating.
Now let me share one more thing I learned about myself. One night last week I was feeling pretty hungry and I was worried that I had not eaten enough calories, even though I was full after each meal and was not trying to cut back. I decided I would step off MWL and step into WFPB regular diet for one meal/snack. I prepared a piece of WW toast with 100% almond butter, and some jam on top. As I ate it, my taste buds were excited and the beast within me began its rage...let me explain. One piece of toast was not enough. I felt even hungrier than before I had eaten the first piece of toast. One toast became two, then three, and finally four slices of almond buttered toast with jam. Now I felt over full and recognized I was out of control! It taught me that in that moment I was “Living to eat”, just for the pure joy of eating. When I eat MWL I am definitely “Eating to Live” and to satisfy my body’s needs, not my emotional needs. I feel much calmer and food is not on my mind. When my food choices are limited to what my body actually needs, I don’t hardly even think about food. It’s only when I step out of this space and open up a world of too many choices, flavors, and smells that I struggle to “Eat to Live” and fall into the trap of eating for enjoyment and thus losing control, fighting against my better judgement, and feeling disappointed in myself for over indulging like I have so many times before. I learned that limiting food choices to what we actually need is a lot easier than having lots of variety and fighting ourselves to stay in control when eating all those flavors and choices.

I hope this made sense and possibly helps someone who has had similar struggles. We can do this! Just remember we are eating to fuel our body with what it needs and that’s where we need to stay.
Buenos días
Chris

hi there Omg I am so all about eating the second and wanting a third PBand J It is so amazing that u can stop and look at that with some explanation. That is the heart of my cravings I call the insatiables. Its also just nice to know I am not alone.I love what u said about the eating to Live instead of living to eat... I have a lot of guilt about how much time I spend thinking about food so this makes sense to me and gives me a tool to deal with all the food stuff. just wanted to thanku for your post
laurag

Postby alishana » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi everyone ! So nice to read about y'all personals journeys.

Friday to Monday, I didn't ate on program AT ALL (but since I'm vegan, still vegan) : I wasn't at home for 2 days, then I met my in-laws who come from a very fat culinary culture and couldn't avoid it without being a bit irrespecutful and finally I had my birthday. It tasted nice but I had no energy on the mornings and had stomach aches on nights. And it's ok, I'm giving myself grace but I'm so happy to be back on track :D
alishana

Postby moonlight » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:40 pm

alishana wrote:... I'm giving myself grace but I'm so happy to be back on track :D

Yay, alishana!! This is the only way we can accomplish this great feat of changing our habits and lifestyles!

I want to chime in with laurag on appreciation to Chris for the great post. I really appreciated Chris' description of the feeling of getting back on track:

Frymom wrote:Hola de España!I am happy to be part of this group and wanted to share a couple of interesting things I have learned since starting MWL...… The thing I noticed right away was my ravenous hunger went away. There were no more cravings of any kind. I filled up at each meal and I felt at peace with my food. I can’t tell you in words sufficient enough to describe what an incredible feeling that was...to be at peace with my food and not have it be a driving force in my life, fighting against my will to want to do better, but not being able to control my impulses and hunger. I think this is one of the greatest gifts of this program. To feel satisfied and at peace when it comes to eating. Chris
moonlight

Postby Linda Dorrill » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 pm

Good evening all,

Today is my birthday. :-) It's been one of the happiest. I've been eating well and today, I didn't go off-plan! Hooray! I've also noticed something. I just seem to be happier. I'm not one to get depressed, but since Sunday (that's when I noticed it), I've just been happy. I can only describe it as an underlying joy and peace. Has anyone else noticed this in yourselves?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Friday. I'm noticing great things...
Linda
Linda Dorrill

Postby anne57 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:49 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby Michele613 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi Amy,

Thanks for updating my info in line with the ticker...which I finally got down with the help of our team's input.

I had a black cat..Midnight...for about 10 years...I've lost track already. I am not either a dog or cat person per se but have had both because of my sons who are now verrryyyyyyyyy adult. This cat was found by one of my son's and a friend when it was little and in the end we took her in. When I moved from California to Israel I actually took her with me because she had become 'my cat' since the boys were grown. She survived here about 7 years before she met her awful death....sad to say. She was a comfort to me and I have a photo of her up in my kitchen ....not my grandchildren. Awful aren't I :( I am rectifying that situation. Only 2 of my oldest grandchildren actually met her so they share memories with me. I can't replace her...she was exceptional for a stray but I enjoy the memories. Her photo sits next to the one of our first dog who we had when the children were just born and for about 12 years after until her health got the best of her. Both good companions.

Now I have 11 grandchildren...some here and some in CA and I get joy and pleasure from them (they're too big to cuddle like the cat).

Pets can add a lot to one's life but my offspring are the biggest comfort and joy.

My sister is a cat person but she is monogamous. :)

I picked the ticker because Midnight was a black cat and it reminded me of her. She'll take down to goal! :)
Michele613

Postby harnette63 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:19 am

Hello,

New to this so hope this is how to get in the thread! I’m 55 and have battled weight for years. I suffer from bone spurs and arthritis as well. Eating this way already has helped with pain, I’m guessing because of less inflammation. I’ve been sticking to the program for almost 2 weeks now and I’ve lost 7 lbs. I look forward to the interaction on this board and this thread!
harnette63

Postby Michele613 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:58 am

Welcome HA,

Glad to have you aboard. Congrats on your loss to date. I am sure you will find friendly support with our group. It makes the journey easier to have partners to share with during the process of creating and finding our healthier and better selves.

Friday, tomorrow, is weigh-in day. If you want to chart your journey as of the start of next week, just enter a zero tomorrow as you are new and then post your loss for the new week on next Friday. Maybe the Moderator will suggest something else if you want your 7#s to be counted for this month.

I am happy to learn that you are already benefiting from the program by experiencing a letting up of some of your pains....this will help keep you motivated. There are many more positive benefits yet to be revealed....just keep on keepin'
Michele613

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:14 pm

harnette63 wrote:Hello,

New to this so hope this is how to get in the thread! I’m 55 and have battled weight for years. I suffer from bone spurs and arthritis as well. Eating this way already has helped with pain, I’m guessing because of less inflammation. I’ve been sticking to the program for almost 2 weeks now and I’ve lost 7 lbs. I look forward to the interaction on this board and this thread!

Nice to meet you, Harnette! Sounds like you are already reaping some of the benefits from changing your diet, and an impressive starting weight loss as well. It’s amazing what the power of food can do.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program