December 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:43 am

AnnetteW wrote:Dec 5 - 148.5 (+0.4 lb)
Dec 12 - 146.2 (-2.3 lbs)

Happy to see the 146's. Now to stay on this roll through the end of the year.

YAY Annette.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby victw » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Can I use being on west coast as an excuse for always being late with these updates.

I have a loss of .8 this week.
I mostly ate meals at home. Made my pot of veggie chili on Sunday night. Had a friend over and we decorated my xmas tree.

I planned a treat for this morning. Which was a mistake 'cuz it turned into multiples. I feel icky now. Will have soup and veggies for dinner. I can't tell if I felt icky like this a lot before and never knew it - or if its an age thing.

I'm also swimming after work. And the weather looks good for hiking. Short hikes on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I'm going to pick out beans for my weekend batch this evening. If I don't come up with a better plan I will make a bean salad.
Cook the beans.
Roast some veggies.
Mushrooms
Onions
Something green. (Maybe green beans - but not really the right time of year.) Hmm - maybe just some romaine lettuce. Always like the crunch of romaine.

And pick a dressing from TJs to throw on - the dressing won't be optimal - but I do so much better when I have prepared food.
Will also roast some potatoes on Friday night - I have a bag of sweet potatoes in the fridge - so no excuses.

Looks like next weeks mine field will be again on Friday.

Happy Holidays.
Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

It’s been wonderful to see all of you supporting each other this past week. Though we are individually our own best chance for success, we can collectively be each other’s alternate line of defence in achieving those individual goals.

I’m going to punt the ball to staff psychologist, Dr. Lisle, so he can tell you why even a little bit can hurt this holiday season.

Click the above link to read the rest of the article.

Best wishes for the coming week!

Amy XO

Here are the results for the 2nd Friday in December:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, December 20th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 445.82 pounds
December 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds
Total group loss in September 2019: 19.3 pounds
Total group loss in October 2019: 22.1 pounds
Total group loss in November 2019: 15.3 pounds
Total group loss in December 2019: 16.3 pounds

Week ending 12/13/2019: 7 participants reported a total loss of 8.1 pounds
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 0.0
--------------------------------------
Deweyswakms - 0.8
AnnetteW - 2.3
Stillcrazy - 3.0
SandySue - 1.0
LauraG - 0.0
VictW - 0.8
Amandamechele - 0.2
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 8.1
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in December 2019: 16.3 pounds
Week ending 12/13/2019: 7 participants reported a total loss of 8.1 pounds
Week ending 12/06/2019: 8 participants reported a total loss of 8.2 pounds
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:18 pm

Vic - You aren’t posting late, Friday is totally fine. Nice loss and it sounds like you have a good plan. How did it go this weekend? Did you make bean salad? I love the crunch of romaine too and stir it into all kinds of rice and bean dishes. What’s happening on Friday that will be a mine field? Let’s break it down and see what can be done.
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:12 am

Amy, thank you for posting Dr.Lisle’s a little bit CAN hurt. I thought of it a couple of times yesterday when considering off plan foods. :shock:
I wanted to respond to your question about the bean salad. I buy Paisley Farm five bean salad. It has sugar but not oil. I limit the amount I eat and I don’t eat the liquid. I’m guessing a lot of the sugar is in the liquid. I keep it on hand for those times when I don’t have anything prepared.
moonlight

Postby Michele613 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the mention....still here but 'lurking'. After my heart tests last week, which were all favorable so we were relieved to know that no other arteries were blocked, my husband and I went to a nearby restaurant to celebrate. The menu was basically either 'dairy' items or pastas with oil. We had what I believed to be a healthier choice but 'something' set me off and then it seemed that day after day just a little more crept in....like Dr. Lisle mentions in his article "A Little Bit CAN Hurt". Sooooo I'm still down but up....regrouping AGAIN.

I have a big event in California in April and goal was to lose significant weight (enough to be noticed) before then but I keep RECALCULATING the pounds and the months....pretty soon I'll just have to settle for a typical loss and look because I keep rebooting. I just haven't found a cycle of foods that I 'want' and so it is harder for me to stay focused....never was a veggie or potato (only if french fries count) eater. I'll keep trying and reading and rereading and with G-d's help I'll get it together.

Thanks for your support.

Annette: Happy to see you broke through your plateau and are breaking barriers....keep it up!

Sandy: I'm right there with you....hang in and don't get hung up.
Michele613

Postby victw » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:15 pm

Amy - I did not end up making the bean salad. But I did make the beans. I soaked Sunday morning. But had them on low in the crockpot - as I was in and out. It wasn't enough. So last night - I cooked them another 35 minutes on the stovepot. Sauteed onions and garlic first. I set aside two servings for lunch and froze the rest.

This Friday is the full corporate lunch. There are usually donuts in the morning. And lots of other sweets all day. For most of 2018 I could walk by any inappropriate food and not give a rip. That switch in the brain is no longer working. So I bounce between good days and bad days. Most are good enough. Lots of veggies. Well today - there is no junk around. Makes it easier. Also for the first time I'm thinking - hey - help the group out with the numbers.

Hmm - just realized I do not have a plan for dinner. I do have veggies. But I'm out of potatoes. I was trying not to overbuy since we leave town for the holidays at the end of the week. Ok. I can stop after swimming and pick up a bag of potatoes. Unused ones in the fridge should be fine for the week I'm gone. That's breakfast and a lunch. Ok - developing a plan. Usually just need a start.

Vic

FYI - The beans were Yellow Indian Women beans from Ranch Gordo. These are the kind of beans that are good enough to eat by themselves. I usually sprinkle them with a little penzey's salt.
https://www.ranchogordo.com/products/ye ... women-bean
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:34 am

Thursday, Dec 19, 2019

Good morning all. Essentially I lost no weight this week, but I did manage to lose the 1.5#s I gained! Lisle is right: a little bit CAN hurt. I've been dancing with 185 for a couple of weeks, interesting. I am getting bored with the foods I prepare. So I will dive into the quick & easy cookbook and look for some inspiration. The good news is that all my annual lab work is normal. Happy Holidays everybody. Marsha

11/28/19 weight is 186.4 -.6
12/5/19 weight is 186.4
12/12/19 weight is 185.6
12/19/19 weight is 185.4 (.2 loss but I don't see it as a real loss)
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Sandy Sue » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:05 am

Got off track. So no weight loss for me this week. :( Husband bought a big pizza and I ate some. I don't know how I am going to make it through the holidays, but I am still trying to stay on the path with just a few detours.
Sandy Sue

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:36 am

Sandy Sue wrote:Got off track. So no weight loss for me this week. :( Husband bought a big pizza and I ate some. I don't know how I am going to make it through the holidays, but I am still trying to stay on the path with just a few detours.

Make it your goal to maintain the rest of the month. We can do it!
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:39 am

Dec 5 - 148.5 (+0.4 lb)
Dec 12 - 146.2 (-2.3 lbs)
Dec 19 - 146.8 (+0.6 lbs)

Not too shabby. I'm happy to still be seeing 146 and if I'm still in the 146's next Thursday I'll be ecstatic. My secret goal for the month is to see 145 (I guess that really isn't much of a secret.) Just looked at the calendar and there is only one more Thursday this month. This is going to be difficult.

I'm really looking forward to January already, who else?
AnnetteW

Postby stillcrazy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:20 am

I am happy to report a loss of 1.8 this week.

I do still have some Ezekiel bread and muffins, put them in the freezer though. I am not sure why they are not okay for MWL since they are not made from flour but from grain sprouts. I discovered tuna salad this week and enjoyed that so much — white beans, onion, celery, vinegar, mustard smooshed with a potato masher and the secret ingredient, a sheet of sushi nori, turned into dust in my coffee grinder, which gives it a fish taste. I do hope sushi nori is acceptable.

I also got creative with whole grains this week and cooked up pots of barley and farro. Both are really tasty added to a veggie bowl or vegetable soup.

I wish us all a successful week ahead and to those who celebrate, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Joyous Kwanzaa! Vee
stillcrazy

Postby JeffN » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:29 am

stillcrazy wrote: I am not sure why they are not okay for MWL since they are not made from flour but from grain sprouts.

The main criteria for MWL is calorie density. Ezekiel bread is as calorie dense as other breads (~1100 cal/lb). The process of sprouting the grain before grinding it doesn't really change the calorie density of the bread after its done being made.

stillcrazy wrote: I do hope sushi nori is acceptable.

Yes :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:51 am

Moonlight - Yes, that is the brand we have too. I serve it at get togethers when I’m too lazy to make anything for others....that’s been happening a lot more lately...LOL. I’m glad you found that article helpful. Dr. Lisle’s talks are so spot on.

Michele - Keep regrouping, keep working on this. XO. It is imperative that you do. Please. You have experienced the negative effects that consuming oil has on your body. It has shown you its limits. Heed this warning, I implore you. Clear your schedule of tempting situations in order to provide yourself with as clean an environment as possible for long enough to pull out of the pleasure trap. It keeps drawing you in, as it does for me - no judgements here. Place yourself under house arrest for awhile. Or maybe consider attending a 10-day program? I know you live very far away, but you will be in California in April. Would you consider extending your trip and give that strategy a try? (I know I’m pushing here and I promise not to again, but I am concerned for you, that’s all).

Vic - Bean salad, beans...its all good...LOL. Planning is the way to go. It’s good that you know what you are up against tomorrow. Bring in everything you need to keep your mouth full of good foods so there is no chance of any donuts jumping in, as Dr. Lisle may say (which lecture was that from?). Maybe your free won’t switch ( Benjamin Libet on volitional acts) is being inhibited by a stronger signal from your mesolimbic pathway telling you the donut is the best thing you can do for survival right now. That’s just fun conjecture on my part. Totally understanding the mechanisms behind what’s going on in our brain when we do these things, thankfully, isn’t necessary to fixing the issue. The answer is the same one as always (and as given above to Michele and its the talk that I have with myself every single week...LOL) which is to practice a bit of abstinence for awhile (or forever) from triggering foods in order to get to a place where it feels easy again. I just had another person who has struggled in the past tell me - today - they have finally reached the stage where it feels easy (like Wildgoose and Landog and many others have discussed here in this thread). They just had to do a very excellent job of following the guidelines. Simple, but not always easy. Good luck tomorrow!! I’m rooting for you.

Marsha - I’m happy your lab work came back great too. I’d love to hear which recipes you feel inspired to eat this coming week.

Sandy Sue - That’s the spirit. Plan for 0 detours but be kind to yourself if they occur. Enjoy your holidays (if you are celebrating), and maybe request no pizza this week. Just for the week until you feel more steady on your plan again.

Annette - You’ve got more than the Christmas spirit going, you’ve got the McDougall spirit...LOL! I feel your pain and look forward to being finished with the festive food gauntlet for another year. We’re celebrating on Sunday and Christmas Day. So I’ve got upcoming temptations too. We can do this!

Vee - Nice loss! I’m glad Jeff was here to answer your question. What does Farro taste like? I’ve never tried it. Best wishes to you too this coming week.
amandamechele

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:52 am

Crazy!!! Woke up this morning to a solid 146.0. Yea!!!! That is a new low for me, and I ate like crazy yesterday. Alas, I posted, so unless this is seen, I'll be going with yesterday's weight, which really doesn't matter, I know that (so I don't mind.) I'm just pleased that the numbers continue to go down...though it's really only 1 lb per month, which is a bit too slow.

I'm starting to contemplate a diet :eek: , or some form of "actually doing the plan as written, the darn MWL plan" to see if I can reach my goal of 130 by May. At the rate I'm going, darn...I have to do something.

But yes, pleased that it's still going southwards.
AnnetteW

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program