June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby jasonrhoads1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:07 pm

Hello Everyone,
Last week 212.0
Weight change - 2.8 lbs current 209.2lbs
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week: 1-6, 8, 10
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention: 7, 9
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support
I was unable to post last week, was a .4 lbs loss from 2 weeks ago. It was my birthday and anniversary so there was a more over consumption, but this week has been greatly more successful. I think this is due to prepping our veggies so that when meal time comes I have something easy to throw together, rather than scavenging around the fridge. I am still learning to communicate with my body, but it does appear that I have a bit of reduced apatite and usually eat 4 meals a day with one plate each time.

if you fail to plan, you plan to fail

Almost half way though the year!
~Jason
jasonrhoads1

Postby jnc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:26 pm

Hi!
After five days I feel like I'm eating healthier than ever. I was surprised that my weight was up, though, no doubt due to my liberal use with the salt shaker:
June 1 145.9 lb
June 5 147.6 lb
Hopefully that will come off by next week. I did well with #2,4,5,6,9 and 10. I can use some work on #1 (dinner no problem, using the 50/50 method for breakfast and lunch most days), #7 hard to resist the healthy but calorie dense muffins I made for my family, and #8 - had some wine at social events. My goals are to focus on resisting the salt shaker and trying to drink more water at social events.
jnc

Postby Rufus_519 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:21 am

Starting weight (4/4/20): 235.0
Goal weight: 195 (within the "normal" BMI range)
Weight last week: 221.0
Weight this week: 221.0
Loss/Gain this week: 0
Total loss/gain: -14.0

Pretty disappointed with myself this week. I wasn't good at a couple of the MLW-10. I was pretty bad at the 50/50 (a consistent challenge for me), snacked on peanut butter (a bad habit I need to break), and added some walnuts to my oatmeal. I'll just have to try harder this week.
Rufus_519

Postby Zoey » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:29 am

Looks like a lot of participants for June, great! I'll go back and read everyone's posts when I have more time later. For now, I just wanted to get mine in.

Today's weigh-in: 155.4
That puts me .7 down from last week, so I'm still hanging out roughly in the pound-a-week club.

I have to be very mindful of the fruit and fruit juice intake. All other points are easy, pretty much effortless. So if I can keep my head on straight, I should keep dropping this excess.

Good luck everyone!
Zoey

Postby courtneywagasky » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:47 am

06/06:123.2

Change This Week: -0.6 lb

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 6/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, choose fruit for dessert. 6/7
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. 4/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods. 7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 0/7 (Flax)
6. Eliminate any added oil. 6/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 4/7
8. Don't drink your calories. 7/7
9. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 7/7
10. Aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. 7/7

Reflections
My weight loss is slow but consistent! I'm going to try and kick things into gear so I can be at my goal weight by the end of the month if not sooner. I think that's attainable. I've been snacking less during the work day and eating more in my base meals. It's been helping a lot. Hope everyone has a beautiful weekend and I'm sending you all the love and warmth and good energy throughout these tough times.
courtneywagasky

Postby JaBee » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:01 am

New beginning- keeping meals simple really workeS

Adhered to all 10 MWL checklist points
Down 5.8#
JaBee

Postby laurag » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:16 am

Hi there same weight
I do need to work on drinking calories
Also had some processed food,crackers with no oil but still
Straight up had some Doritos...
Exercise is ok but not everyday so working on habit in am
Really doing well on 50/50

Need to work on not straying like the chips didn't have too many but I know the road it leadsdown. When I start letting those little slips in they increase and get me way off track. Working on creating habits for after dinner. I can have seconds but has to be 50/50 and have frozen or canned fruit with seltzer at ten then that's it.I

So stoked still about being here I love the food and know this is the way! Makes me happy to have a place I can go where people think that too. It's hard sometimes because husband is not on board, he is diabetic and it's so annoying that he does not believe this will help him. I know I have to step back and show him by walking the walk without pestering him. That is very hard. I need to work on that too I am just pushing him away from right food when I do that. He is very picky otherwise I would just make healthy dishes and put it in front of him.any suggestions? Thanx
laurag

Postby Lakegirl » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:39 am

May 8: -1.5 lbs
May 15: -2.0 lbs
May 22: -2.3 lbs
June 6: -1.4 lbs

Hello everyone,

I apologize for not posting last week. I kind of got blown off course a bit, and simply didn’t think to post until about midweek...what’s up with that?! Clearly, my focus was off, and had a pretty low weight loss reflect that, but I’ll take it. In the middle of a lot of house re-habbing, so eating very simply. I noticed that I was not eating as much earlier in the day...and overcompensating too much at night. My goal this week is to focus on flipping that. That, and enjoying a variety of foods. Have my eye on a few simple recipes - plan to get those done. With those done at the beginning of the week I am much more likely to succeed. That, and more concerted effort at cardio exercise....I am moving most of the day, but it is moderate stuff. I’ve had a seemingly endless elbow pain (“tennis elbow”)...so it limits by arm exercises. Any words of wisdom about the McDougall diet helping with a bursitis type of situation? I did have a number of PT sessions this winter, and I stretch it many times during the day...but it is a persistent little bugger. I would like to do planks etc. but I think it would add stress on the joint that’s bothering me.

As far as the 10 points, I think I’m OK on most of it - about 80/20, except for the exercise. Looking forward to a more focused week, and the success that follows from that.

Have a good week everyone!

Lakegirl

P.S. enjoyed reading all the potato “fries” or “chips” recipes, along with the “ketchup” alternatives. Thank you to Chaz, Nate, Chuck Goose and always Mark and Jeff N. Hope I didn’t miss anybody. Have tried Jeff’s Chubby Chips, as written, and would highly recommend his method as they were very potato-ey, chewy and also kind of moist if you don’t overbake. Has anyone tried or have any advice about making Chubby Chips with sweet potato or yam? I have some Japanese sweet potato and Hannah yams that I would like to use up. After re-reading the potato comments, if Chips don’t work out, I will probably steam them for a lower calorie count. They are always good no matter what.
Thanks for your always wonderful input.
Last edited by Lakegirl on Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lakegirl

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:38 am

SW: 241.9
CW: 223.8
GW: 150.0
Total Lost: 18.1
Last Week: 224.8.
This Week: 223.8
Lost : 1.0 lb

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsdown:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsdown:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit :thumbsdown: :shock:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.:thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).:thumbsdown: :duh:

Areas that demand improvement :lol:

I messed up on 2, 3,4,7,10 HUGELY this week. Without going all political - this was a terrible week for our country and the news pushed me to some massive stress eating. I'm not prone to stress eating - but seriously this has been beyond dystopian. I trended to much more than 50% carbs, actually ordered vegan cookies on my Instacart order, my produce order was supposed to be skipped but was delivered with the standard box foods/as opposed to those I would order. Foods I am -- intolerant to, will not eat and only two items were organic - Fuji apples and avocados. I found homes or the compost for most of that but could not toss the avocados - which I pretended to hide in my otherwise perfect McDougall lunch salads. I also didn't get in any exercise at all as much of the week was ghastly hot and then I dropped something on my foot and the injured toes are still to swollen and painful to do anything but hobble in the house.

I looks like I still ended up losing to spite all of that, but not so. I actually dropped like 2 pounds the day after the last weigh in so technically I gained a pound, but since I was too glued to the TV with all the bad news last week and forward - I missed that week's weigh-in.

All of that is behind me and I am massively attacking the stress with avoiding the news other than to keep up generally, upping my meditation sessions and spending time in the kitchen cooking ahead.

Observation for the week -- aside from bad eating. I was interested in what Goose said about having to limit tomatoes - otherwise she has problems. Though she didn't specify what - it turns out I too may be in the not too much in the way of tomatoes group as well. I have tried to make two JeffN fast food recipes a week - starting off with 28 oz can of tomatoes. Seems like this may be a huge fibromyalgia trigger for me. I've had a theory that part of my fibro is gut related and part of why this diet is so good in helping me keep the fibro down is that it is alkaline and not an irritant to my gut. Until massive tomato meals - boy did I suffer this week after those meals and have been I think on and off for awhile. I'm bummed by this likelihood - because those recipes are wonderful and my cupboard is now full of 28 oz cans of tomatoes!

Good progress to everyone and stay healthy - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby moonlight » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:46 am

Weight change - 2 lbs (back to 173)

Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
I'm getting much better at 50/50 plate guideline, the soup or salad guideline. It's easier to resist animal foods. My body is getting stronger. I'm gardening and hiking. I'm slowly switching from a starch based snack in the evening to fruit or veggies.

Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
I'm looking forward to being able to resist bread products!!

General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support
I think behavior change can take a longer than we expect, especially for eating behaviors where there is anxiety around what to eat. I feel that I am making progress toward a healthier lifestyle, even though I am still carrying excessive weight.

Thank you, Mark, for all your hard work. You rock!! As well as the McD team!!
moonlight

Postby Lucas » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:52 am

4/27/20: 203.2
5/1/20: 201.8
5/8/20: 200.0
5/15/20: 198.6
5/22/20: 197.8
5/29/20: 196.0
6/5/20 : 193.8
Change: -2.2

Hi everyone,

Count me in, to continue with MWL for the month of June! I really appreciate this awesome place! And all for free!

So for the past week I did pretty good in terms of weight loss. Here is how I faired on the checklist...

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

Did good on: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9

7) Indulged on some homemade no egg, no oil, whole wheat banana bread once again on 2 of the days last week. I just had to have it. What are you suppose to do with those bananas that get too ripe to eat? :-)

8. I indulged in one fruit smoothie this week. I can do without this one.

10). I did do some yard work and walked some of the days. I had days this week where I just did not feel like getting on the treadmill. I think I am going to try and get out to the park to do some walking this coming week.

Other than these several points I had a pretty good week. I am looking forward to progressing further towards my health goals this coming month. Thanks everyone. I enjoy reading everyones postings. Thank you moderators and Mark for taking the time to reply and lead us on. :-D
Lucas

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Judy_Bell - Congratulations on your improved BP & cholesterol measures! That telephone consultation was a proud moment, I would imagine. :D Your checklist assessment gives you a clear set of targets for continued efforts to support your progress - eliminating those few remaining troublesome foods and adding more physical activity. Are you going to put together a plan for how you can fit some exercise into your daily routine?

taymariekay - Kudos on the significant progress you've made already in changing your behavior, losing 15 lbs since February and 1 lb this week! It looks to me like you had a pretty successful week, in terms of implementing the recommended behaviors. I'm not qualified to speak to a specific individual medical concern (nor would it be appropriate for me to do so here); I think the question of how necessary or effective that single tablespoon of flaxseed is given your condition would be a conversation to have with your physician. Jeff's general discussion of Omega 3 fatty acids includes some information on flaxseed and may be worth a read. The imagined security of counting calories can be a difficult thing to give up, particularly for those among us who are highly conscientious and detail oriented (I'm speaking from my personal experience as both a volume eater and someone who habitually counted calories and tracked nutrients, including weighing and measuring my food, for an extended period of time). The thing to perhaps keep in mind is - that sense of security is a false one. We think we're accurately assessing our intake and output of energy on any given day, but that is just simply not the case, for all the reasons Jeff discusses in How to Successfully Count Calories! I know it is hard, but I implore you and all participants not to resort to counting calories, weighing and measuring food, obsessing over minute details of diet and nutrition, or compulsively logging in CRONometer. I can testify that path is maddening, unsustainable, and actually counterproductive. I know what it can be like to feel like your instincts are broken or something is wrong with you. Our physical and cultural environment absolutely is broken, but you are not. MWL is designed in such a way that if you behave in accordance with the recommendations, you can trust your own hunger. Remember the following question and answer:
JeffN wrote:
goal140 wrote:Hi Mark,
Am I eating when I’m hungry? It’s hard for me to distinguish hunger for appetite.

You don’t have to figure it out or work out it. Only follow the guidelines. When hungry (regardless of whether you may think it is true hunger, appetite, or something else) just eat. Eat of the recommended foods as outlined in the 10 point checklist.

Over time, it will work itself out.

In Health
Jeff

If you are feeling anxious or feel like you need to "do more," would it help to try to direct that energy into just continuing to execute the recommended behaviors outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist? If you are doing an excellent job at that, you are really doing enough; give the MWL guidelines some time and faith to demonstrate results. What is necessary to make this way of eating work in a sustainable and durable way, is to get REALLY good at planning, preparing, and (when hungry) eating adherent meals. TIME + ADHERENCE is the formula for results, and over a sufficient duration of time, seeing those results brings confidence. Do the absolute best job you can implementing the appropriate behaviors, try not to worry, and be patient - I know that isn't always easy, but it does work. I hope that doesn't read like a rant, I very much identify with the anxieties you described. :)

jasonrhoads1 - Way to go bouncing back from that celebration-related overconsumption, and making this week a successful one! I would totally agree that putting some time and effort into preparing appropriate foods is always a great idea. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." :nod: It feels so strange that 2020 is approaching the halfway mark; to me this feels like one of the longest years ever, while simultaneously seeming to fly by. It's weird, but I'm sure partially an effect of sheltering in place for going on 3 months.

jnc - Hi! You did well with over half the checklist! Eliminating those remaining calorie dense foods and being sure to buy and prepare foods without added salt should make a difference. If you choose to use salt, just add a sprinkle on the surface of your food at the table. I saw a recent comment in courtneywagasky's journal from a discussion board member that could be helpful for navigating those social events -
Ejeff wrote:Hi Courtney,

I just wanted to say I understand that “pressure” from others when it come to drinking alcohol. When I really got honest with myself, I believe I was using that as my own personal excuse to have wine even though I know it’s not health promoting. I have discovered that people really do not care what I’m drinking. Most times they really don’t notice. I have found that alcohol always affects my sleep and I like sleep more than I like alcohol right now.

I tend to have just a can of sparkling soda with a slice or squirt of lime juice when I want a “cocktail”. You could have that in a wine glass potentially. Anyways just an idea and I wanted you to know you are not alone! :-D

Erin

Rufus_519 - I think disappointment is an understandable reaction when our results aren't what we might hope. On the bright side, you know the exact behaviors where you can direct your efforts to change those results. :) Onward to next week.

Zoey - Hanging in is much better than dropping out, right? :D Getting to the point where so many of the recommended behaviors feel easy or effortless is a significant achievement. I believe you found the fruit juice and sparkling water helpful in abstaining from alcohol, and now that you've had a period of success omitting wine (am I remembering that correctly? If that is the case), do you feel like you are ready to try eliminating fruit juice entirely? Do your best "keeping your head on straight!" :-D

courtneywagasky - Kudos! Slow, but consistent has advantages. The MWL 10-Point Checklist highlights some opportunities to "kick things into gear," eliminate those remaining calorie dense foods, omit any added oil, and give some more attention to reducing added sugars and salts, (and just be sure to eat whenever you are hungry, until you're comfortably full). :thumbsup:

JaBee - Let's celebrate that new beginning! Keeping things simple and adhering to all 10 points - it would be hard to do better than that! :D

laurag - That's great attention paid to the 50/50 guideline and continuing to build that exercise habit. I totally agree that those "little slips" can accumulate quickly. I know for me, that's why I've always found 100% adherence to be much less effortful than 99% (which can easily slip to 95%, 80% or 70% before you realize it). Of course the most direct way to avoid straying into troublesome foods is to not have those foods available; if that isn't feasible, it is probably even more important to make a point of eating in adherence with the MWL guidelines whenever you are hungry, for all the reasons Jeff discusses here. I'm in no way any authority on converting or convincing other people, but for me my strategy has been to do the best job I can working on my own behaviors and, hopefully, provide an example for my loved ones when they feel they want to make changes. Does your husband find any variety of minimally processed starches appealing? Things like mashed potatoes, beans and rice, and pasta with tomato sauce have nearly always been a hit with my extended family, when flavored with abundant herbs and spices. If you can find a favorite food of his that fits the guidelines, you could perhaps build on that foundation.

Lakegirl - I'm glad to see you back here! It is natural to get blown off course occasionally; can you think of anything in particular that contributed to your focus seeming insufficient? Simple recipes are often helpful, and as you observe adequate time spent planning and preparing adherent foods is preparing for success. Sorry you are dealing with that elbow pain. Dr. McDougall shares some resources related to both degenerative and inflammatory arthritis here. Burgess Laughlin's Success Story might also be relevant, as bursitis was one of several conditions he faced. Have a good week!

lmggallagher - You describe what seems like a very demanding and fraught week. I can imagine it felt really tough and stressful. Now that you feel able to put that behind you, and have some strategies for doing so, you know exactly those areas that "demand" attention. :) If you suspect tomatoes are a food to which you are reactive, many of Jeff's Fast Food recipes work nearly as well with vegetable broth (or even water) as a substitute (probably in somewhat reduced amounts, compared to the tomatoes). Based on my own experience, I know some of those processed, sugary, foods you mentioned having this week would have triggered flares for me, but what causes a reaction can be different for different people (I don't have any trouble with tomatoes, for instance). If you feel desperate, it may be worth giving Jeff's approach to the elimination diet a try. I'm wishing for you to have a speedy recovery from that painful foot, Michelle.

Moonlight - Nice! That is a growing list of areas where you are succeeding, and only one remaining area that seems to be a struggle. :thumbsup: I would absolutely agree that making durable, lasting changes in our pattern of behavior can be a long-term process. Protecting and maintaining the behaviors we have successfully enacted, and making progress on those remaining behaviors we would like to change (whatever the pace, and however circuitous the path) drive us toward the life we are seeking. Keep making progress! :D

Lucas - Hi! You are counted in! :thumbsup: That looks like a pretty good week to me, too. You learned that fruit smoothie didn't feel like it was worth it, while the banana bread felt hard to resist, it seems. Perhaps those very ripe bananas might serve to sweeten a bowl of oatmeal? In my own experience, if I have "healthy" banana bread available to be eaten, it becomes pretty likely that I'm going to eat it. :)
Mark Cooper

Re: Weigh-In Report Compilation - June 5, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:07 pm

By my count, 34 participants reported for our first June 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the first Friday in June:

Week ending 6/5/2020: 34 participants reported a total loss of -38.13 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Jnc +1.70
Tian-De +1.50
Abe +0.80
Total gains: +4.00
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
AmandaSue 0.00
AnnetteW 0.00
Belana 0.00
Judy_Bell 0.00
Laurag 0.00
Miss Kim 0.00
Rufus_519 0.00
Ejg -0.20
Jan_npr -0.40
Kirstykay -0.50
Squealcat -0.50
Courtneywagasky -0.60
Zoey -0.70
Abible -0.80
Lmggallagher -1.00
Taymariekay -1.00
Wstokes -1.20
Carwex -1.33
Chaz01 -1.40
Lakegirl -1.40
Rlechols -1.50
Goal140 -1.80
Moonlight -2.00
Noella -2.00
Lucas -2.20
Sue Ancora-imparo -2.40
Jasonrhoads1 -2.80
Josietheschnauzer -3.20
NateKruse -3.40
MaryP -4.00
JaBee -5.80
Total losses: -42.13
Cumulative group loss for June 2020 to date: 38.13 pounds
Average loss for week ending June 5: 1.12 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: 96.60 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2020: 60.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2020: 218.00 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2020: 191.50 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, June 12, 2020.

Way to go everyone! The June 2020 MWL group is off to a dynamic start! As always I want to give everyone a pat on the back for showing up and for all the effort each of you put in this week!

This week's discussion spurs me to share some aspects of my perspective on approaching the MWL 10-Point Checklist, in light of my own experience and lessons learned by "getting it wrong before getting it right." The MWL 10-Point Checklist outlines behaviors that have been proven to be successful for losing weight and maintaining weight loss. Each of us has agency over how we decide to behave. The 10 points highlight areas on which to focus when we are struggling - if you aren't achieving the results you desire, here are 10 things you can do that have been demonstrated to work. If we are very clear on what we want to achieve, and we know WHAT to do, our questions are twofold - what are we actually WILLING to do, and HOW do we do those things? Other people can provide insight and advice, but each one of us has to answer those 2 questions for ourselves, based on our own particular motivations and circumstances. There isn't necessarily a "RIGHT" answer; if you decide you aren't willing to practice a particular behavior right now, that doesn't mean you are a bad person, an outcast or a failure. It may, however, mean that you may have greater difficulty achieving the outcomes you are wanting. Making these changes is HARD, and often requires substantial effort with struggles and challenges along the way. What outcome do you want to achieve? What are you willing to do in aid of achieving that outcome? How can you put those behaviors into place within your daily routine?

I came across some interesting threads in The Lounge this week. As part of this spirited discussion of Cheating, Jeff shared Chuck Underwood's personal account of his recent stroke, which I found eye-opening. I think that entire thread is quite instructive, particularly Jeff's contributions.
JeffN wrote:What I found most interesting, based on his comments, is that whatever degree of adherence he had, it may not have been enough. What, if any, it contributed to his stroke, I don't know. Yes, there are other factors that play a role other then diet and exercise, however, excess weight, inactivity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a diet high in fat and salt are all risk factors. Even if you are vegan.

As I have said, we see this quite often at the program. People come who are overweight, obese, with high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high cholesterol and are on medications. They tell us they do not understand because they are vegan and/or WFPB and even follow the McDougall diet. Yet, in 10-Days with only changing the food and mixing in a little activity, they experience dramatic changes in their health.

We heard a similar story 2 years ago from Landog. As he posted above....

landog wrote:Don't kid yourselves.
Cheating could easily kill you.

Change is not easy. The Pleasure Trap is real. The solution is time and adherence.

I wish Chuck the best and continued health.

In Health
Jeff
Here is the story from landog that Jeff mentions - Ten Years "McDougalling" - heart bypass surgery.

Speaking to the question of being 99% "on plan."
JeffN wrote:First, in regard to the 1%, lets do some math. If he was eating 2000-2500 calories (just guessing), 1% is 20-25 calories. That is it. That is a minuscule amount of any of the mentioned cheat foods listed and just not enough to be the issue.

Second, I would recommend reading my article, The Myth of Moderation: Is Your Diet Exceptional?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44276&p=456819&#p456819

Lastly, remember what I said above... “Yes, there are other factors that play a role other then diet and exercise, however, excess weight, inactivity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a diet high in fat and salt are all risk factors. Even if you are vegan.”

In Health
Jeff
Here's the recommended article -
JeffN wrote:The Myth of Moderation Pt 3: Is Your Diet Exceptional?
Jeff Novick, MS, RDN

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... ional.html

An exception to your diet is considered an exception because it is something you rarely do &/or makes up a very small part of your diet. If you start doing it, or several of them, every day and/or at every meal and it (or they) starts making up a larger part or even a main part of your diet, it is no longer an exception. This can happen even to those who are following a WFPB diet.

So, let look at the impact of few items that are often considered as exceptions and what would happen if you added in just a few of these.

- A tbsp of oil is ~120 calories

- A tbsp of sugar is ~50 calories

- An ounce of chocolate is ~150 calories

- A 5 oz glass of wine is ~120 calories

- A serving of a refined grain is ~80-100 calories

- A small piece of vegan pie, cake or a cookie can easily be 100-150 calories (or more).

The total of the above is over 620-690 calories which would be over 1/3 of an 1800 calorie diet, over 1/4 of a 2400 calorie diet. And that is for just one serving of each. If you have 2 servings of each, you are around 1300 calories which is over 2/3's of an 1800 calorie diet and over 1/2 of a 2400 calorie diet.

As you can see, it is very easy for these exceptions to add up. And, if you add in a few more of these "exceptions," the exceptions have become the rule, and the healthy foods have become the exception and while you may have an exceptional diet, it is not healthy.

In Health
Jeff
And some further discussion of "Cheating"
JeffN wrote:I have always recommended focusing on getting 95% of the program 100% right as that will be much more important then the 5%, For some of you, based on your own health issues, it may be 99% and for some of you it may be 90%, I don’t know without working with you directly.

The problem I see though is that people focus too much on the 5% and in doing so, do not get the 95% right. So in reality, they are really doing much much less than they 95%.

This concept was thoroughly discussed in a thread on Dr Lisle’s Continuum of Evil.

To further make my point in the thread, I analyzed two diets that were truly 95% (based on calories) compliant, Each one had 5% of their calories from one of two of the worst foods I could imagine (coconut oil and pork bacon). Both of these items are very high in calorie density, fat, saturated, with little to no fiber, and the bacon is also very high in sodium. Clearly, if any food would have an impact at 5%, it would be one of these two. As the analysis shows, their impact would be minimal if any at all (based on known & accepted risk factors). Your an see the discussion and the analysis here...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54512&p=554413&#p554281

So, if one could theoretically get away with 5%, and for some of us, maybe even 10%, then if the program is not working for you, there are problems in your adherence that is making up much more then 5% or 10% of your calories, let alone 1%.

In Health
Jeff

I only had one glass!

Similarly, this thread speaking to the question Will One High Fat Meal Hurt Me? seems enlightening and worth a thorough look. What increases the likelihood of success in pursuing this lifestyle?
JeffN wrote:It seems the common denominator is the more compliant to the behaviors they are, the better their results. No exception. And, when they are not losing or gaining, they can see which behaviors need more attention. Sometimes they may need a guideline clarified and sometimes they may need support in figuring out how to apply it.

One thing you don’t see, is anyone striving to be less compliant, or encouraging anyone else to be less compliant. Sure, be OK with where you are and how well you are doing, but keep focusing on moving the behaviors in the right direction in ways that you can.

Most people who find their way here to this program, have serious health issues and a compromised quality of life. Changing much of your life, especially your food related behaviors, is not easy, especially in this world. But to those who find their way here, making the change is often easier then continuing to suffer.

Keep doing the best you can to move your behaviors in the right direction!

I wish you all a happy, healthy and fruitful week to come. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:09 pm

Congratulations rlechols!

I'm sure other folks had some BIG improvements this week - but this one stopped me in my reading tracks. All of it is HUGE but two points jumped out at me. The satisfaction of proving to a new Doctor that -- YES TC was entirely done by this WOE alone - not drugs (especially since rlechols is a pharmacist!) AND hitting normal weight.

This week has really been a celebration for me; I hit 70 lbs total in weight loss, and a normal BMI, which I wasn't really sure was even possible. Also, I had a new patient appointment with a new doctor who isn't plant based (my old plant based doctor left the practice). I had labs done and the results are truly impressive. I started with total cholesterol of 260 and it is now down to 155. All other markers are great, including iron and B12. Admittedly, she was looking in my chart for evidence I had been taking a statin, as she hasn't seen anyone drop their cholesterol like that from diet alone. I assured her it WAS my diet!!

I hope to achieve that level of satisfaction one day. For now -- it's so just good to be here to read these stunning success stories, share in the excitement and know these things are achievable for all of us!

Thank you rlechols for sharing your celebration with us!!!!
lmggallagher

Postby taymariekay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Mark, your words are TRULY TRULY so helpful to me! Thank you for taking the time to respond. I can tell you really care and have lots of experience.

I'm so glad for the reminder that counting calories is unsustainable and pointless. Sounds like you and I have similar experiences with it. I get obsessed with weighing, tracking nutrients on CRONOMETER, and let me tell you - it is a full time job when you try to commit to that! And in the end I did not even have success with it!

I have lost the 15 lbs from MWL guidelines, though not being perfect, and I need to remember that. I think where I can get caught up is snacking on fruit or snacking outside of meals without the pre-load salad or 50/50 plate, and that's where I'm going wrong. A couple pieces of fruit here, couple potatoes there, ends up being 400 calories on top of my meals. This week I will be working on only eating when truly hungry and when I do eat, it has to be a full MWL compliant meal. No snacking on fruit. Only fruit with breakfast and berries for dessert with lunch and dinner. That is the plan :)

Quick question - I have been making a homemade "cheese sauce" that is a base of steamed cauliflower and onion with nutritional yeast, roasted peppers, and spices. Is this okay? Willing to nix it if not.

Thanks so much and hope everyone has a productive coming week!
taymariekay

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program