December 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2017 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby BeHealthy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:38 am

Hello to you all and goodbye to the 4 pounds I lost this week. Good riddance!

I had a pretty good week of making healthy choices and am happy I saw a loss for my efforts, because that doesn't always happen. With renewed dedication and better feelings about meeting my goals, I will start a new week now and not wait for Monday to start as I've done in past weeks.

Big challenges in the coming week are a holiday party for work and all that comes with it and finals week for my students which means a lot of sitting on my butt and reading, assessing, practicing kindness, and writing for me.

Have good weeks everyone!
BeHealthy

Postby anne57 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby galooop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:33 am

hi, guys -
Gained back 6.4 lbs
over the last (quite eventful) two weeks.
Not as bad as it sounds, because I had lost so much weight when I was sick with a bad flu.
Now I'm stabilized and feeling much better!

Everybody take care!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby Werner1950 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:49 am

And I am 169 this morning. Down (I suppose) .8 lbs since last Friday. RIght direction anyway. South is my favourite direction ;)

Yes, I am Canadian.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby petmomful » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:52 am

According to my scale, I lost 3.4 pounds this week. I am thrilled with that!! I bumped up my exercise this week, and tightened up the diet. So I am going to keep doing what I am doing!! Hope you all have a good upcoming week! :D

Amandamechele, my granddaughter is a college freshman on a basketball scholarship. She is really good. My grandson is a high school freshman and also plays basketball. So we have lots of games to go to. So fun! :-D

We are going to my grandson's birthday party today, but my daughter-in-law purposely made me some bean tortillas! How nice of her! I am used to not eating the cake. I wanted to lose a few pounds before Xmas, and I am doing just that, so I am happy! This group helps to keep me accountable.
petmomful

Postby wildgoose » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:30 am

Hello all!

Looks like it's an up and down week so far for people.

I've been sick with a horrible cold all week. I didn't totally dive into the Pleasure Trap, but I had one bad day and several meals of non-MWL soup with crackers, along with way too much fruit. The result is to be expected: a gain of 0.2 pounds. I'm happy it's not any worse than that.

I keep reminding myself to stay with small, simple things and not get overwhelmed by too much to do and too many holiday expectations. The world won't come to an end if things aren't done perfectly.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby CamiJb » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm

:shock: -9.2 this week Holy moly! But I am sick so I may be dehydrated {?} Hopefully I am well soon, and next week will show a better representation!!

I have had a calm & quiet week due to being ill. Man-mate has stepped up and took 2 days off from work to take care of me <3 love that man!! Christmas is coming and we will be having 6 of our 7 children and 15 of our 22 grandkids here :eek:

I have a long list of vegan goods to get for so much company, big pots of stew planned, beans, rice, etc... Thank goodness my family is willing to do vegan, plant based when in our home without a fight!

Have a great week everyone.................
I refuse to not complete this journey!
I WILL be my change!
CamiJb

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:43 pm

Sue - XO. Rant away, we have all been there and know what you're going through. Best wishes this week as you figure out the best way to proceed.

Susan - I love that sentiment...Stay in the groove! That is IT. That is exactly what we are all working towards. Oh...hey, what is kitchari?

Behealthy - I'm so glad this week the effort and result matched up for you. That is great for keeping your motivation levels high. Good luck navigating your holiday party. Remember all of the great strategies at your fingertips for getting through it without too much discomfort such as eating before you go to the party, or bringing your own food. Also if anyone actually notices that you are eating differently and challenges you on it you have choices too. If you love a great debate go head to head with them about why you eat this way, and if you don't feel like that kind of confrontation you can use Dr. Lisle's seems strategy from his Getting along without going along lecture. Or you can just say nothing at all...that's how I've been doing it this week while on the road. Keep your head down...lol. Best wishes for a busy week. I have no doubt that you can do it. Practicing kindness makes every situation easier and I'm sure you will be great at it. XO

Anne - Best wishes for this week. I am loving this new series of yours. Looking forward to next week's!

Chris - You've been through a lot, I'm so glad you're feeling better and that things are getting back to normal...including your weight. :)

Werner - From one Canadian to another, it is the best direction to go...lol. I was in the GTA this week and anywhere south of there sounds delightful. So much snow! Good job on the loss. Best wishes over Christmas.

petmomful - Wonderful loss and plan. Definitely keep doing what you're doing. :) Basketball is so fun to watch because of it's pace. You must be so proud of both of your grandchildren. Does your granddaughter play on a team we would recognize if we follow college basketball? You're daughter-in-law is very kind to be so supportive, how lovely!

Goose - I hope you feel better soon! You are correct, just keep doing your best, and don't worry about being perfect. Your self-esteem will let you know when you've stepped too far away from the path that you want to be on. Simple and repetitive meals will keep things easy for you during this busy time. Your small gain could be due to a combination of so many factors, don't let it get you down...I'm so glad you've avoided full on pleasure trap mode. Getting out of that tar pit is no fun. Best wishes for the upcoming week.

CamiJb - Oh no, you are sick too. I hope you are recovering well. Your man is a keeper! How fun, you have a huge family! I love a full house during the holidays (my husband's family is huge like yours). Your easy-going family also sound like keepers too! Enjoy the company this Christmas. Best wishes staying the course and wonderful job done this week.

Here's a little day-in-the-life from this wanna-be MWL McDougaller:
(One of the pictures is from yesterday, but I ate the same thing today, just didn't photograph it)

And (I just have to share this somewhere...lol) we found a Holly Bush on our property...just in time for Christmas!
amandamechele

Postby galooop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 pm

CamiJb - I know how you feel...
I had that flu a couple of weeks ago and lost 11 LBS in one week!
I was afraid to tell my friends, so they wouldn't rush me to emergency.
A week in bed and I finally got well -
and more than half of that weight came back.
I'm ok now -
Get well soon!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:05 pm

Oh, one more thing, Jeff has started a new thread that I think is an important read for everyone here trying to follow a specifically MWL plan... this as a great reminder as to the importance of paying attention to the everyday little details of what we put in our mouths in addition to the overall dietary pattern.

Reductionism and/or Wholism
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:52 am

Good Morning!

I have to report that I have gained 1 pound.

No exercise for me this week. No biking to work ... too much snow. And not feeling well enough to do my home workouts.

4 more days of work ... then I am off for a week :)

Thanks Amanda for your kind and encouraging words!

Blessings!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby veggies4me » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:25 am

WOW! This really works!!

I am a new McDougaller, I have just completed my second week on the MWL program (I know prior weight loss doesn't count toward total here, but for the record I have been eating ff vegan for 2 years and have previously lost 38 pounds, but have been stuck there for a while). Below is progress since staring MWL program.

Week #1 MWL Program loss was 1.2 pounds
Week #2 loss was 4.4* (*might include a 2 pound discrepancy due to change in scale due to travel)

Holidays are here and I'm visiting my family and all they do is EAT, well me too, bring on the sweet potatoes! LOL
veggies4me

Postby zsilent1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:09 am

[b]Amy[b] kitchari is a dish made with brown rice and I usually use moong dal, split yellow mung beans. There are lots of variations using different beans, lentils, dals etc. I use a ratio of 1:1 rice and dal. Usually 2 cups each and then 10 cups of water in the instant pot. I use a lot of spices, tumeric, black seed, cinnamon, coriander, cumin what ever you want. I also add a diced onion and lots of chopped garlic. You can research recipes and see the variations in beans and spices. It is a total comfort food and quite delicious and filling! :)

Glad Tidings to All!
Susan
zsilent1

Postby moonlight » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:10 am

I've lost 1 lb this week (197). This is slower than I want... This week I started using a veggie soup broth that has sodium. Hum,,,
moonlight

Postby Sundog » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi everyone!
Scale says I’m up 0.9 lbs today. I’m not terribly upset as ate some Ezekiel bread last night. I haven’t eaten bread for a long time just because I just like my whole grains better. Going to the gym today and hopefully make this a part of my daily routine. If not the gym then walking.
Here’s to a healthy productive week leading up to Christmas etc. Sundog aka Linda :-D
Sundog

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program