June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Ejg » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:14 am

Starting weight: 203.5
Last week: 199.5
This week: 198.0
week over week change: -1.5

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. I do a good job of this at meals but when I'm hungry between meals I frequently will grab a piece of fruit.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. No salt or added sugar. I've decided that if it takes some nutritional yeast to make eating an entire head of broccoli palatable for me, so be it. If and when I need to tighten things up, this can be one area where I can do so.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yup
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yup
6. Eliminate any added oil. No added oil. Yup
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yup. No pretzels or air popped popcorn.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yup
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yup
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yup

Controlling my environment appears to be key for me. If I have calorie dense food in the house, sooner or later, I'm going to eat it. I can only hold out for so long. My daughter splits her time between her mom's house and my house, and since she is a typical American 9 year old, has gotten quite accustomed to snacks and treats. I tried keeping some in the house for her but this usually leads to me eating some of it (or all of it). She and I discussed that I don't want this food in my house anymore but if she wants ice cream, candy bars, or whatever, she and I can go get it and consume it outside the home. The point here is that if she wants something I will get it for her, but it won't be kept in the house. She seemed cool with this, and I am frankly relieved that temptation no longer exists for me in my house, and I won't feel like my daughter's day to day life is radically different between her mom's house and my own. So I feel pretty good about this.

Also it has probably been decades since the first number of my weight was a one.
Though it feels malevolent, resistance operates with the indifference of rain and transits the heavens by the same laws as the stars. When we marshal our forces to combat resistance, we must remember this.
Ejg

Postby jnc » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:27 am

Weight loss: 2.8 lb

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method, choose fruit for dessert. 5/7
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate sugars and added salts. 5/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods.7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods.7/7
6. Eliminate any added oil.6/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie dense foods. 5/7
8. Don’t drink your calories. 5/7
9. Eat when you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve/stuff. 7/7
10. Aim for 30 minutes of moderate exercise daily. 7/7

I’m pleased with the weight loss, despite indulging a little at a milestone family birthday event. More regular exercise and not eating after dinner were helpful and overall I feel like I'm getting on track. This week I plan on working on getting even more greens in my diet (we just started receiving our CSA) and less salt at the table (this one is a challenge but needed). I’ve appreciated the thoughtful comments and discussions –they have been motivating!.
jnc

Postby abible » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:30 am

June 5: 194.3 pounds
June 12: 192.4 pounds
Loss: -1.9 pounds

Short on time again this week. Did pretty well on the 10.
Failures: my Saturday no-alcohol beer, had cereal with soy milk a couple of times, missed my salad to start meals a few times and missed two exercise days.

Cheers to all,
tony
Last edited by abible on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abible

Postby pootsy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:39 am

Hi All!
Lost 1.4 #
Hope its been a good June so far. I am sorry I couldn't post last week, I had to bring my sister to the ER on Thursday night with neurological symptoms and she was admitted and then discharged over the weekend. I just lost a few days.
Still struggling with changing those behaviors but more aware of triggers and committed to change!
Most difficult area of checklist this week are 4 and 7. Dairy has been a demon!
Its been too hot so need to get an inside exercise routine going.
Doing better with starting meals with soup or salad. Enjoying fresh fruit. Feel so lucky to have fresh mango and watermelon available.
I have always been a fresh produce buyer , but finding frozen veggies make SNAP meals so much easier. Sometimes easy ensures success.
I tried a few new recipes…. had a funny experience with Chubby chips and my parchment paper ( too close to the broiler) going on fire, but at least no firemen were involved. Second try much better. Also bought new spices!
Looking forward to a healthy rest of June :)
pootsy

Postby gracezw » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:40 am

Last Friday morning weight: 114.4 lbs
This Friday morning weight: 112.8 lbs
Weight loss: 1.6 lbs

I have been maintaining my weight between 110 lbs and 115 lbs for a year. It would be nice to stay at 110 lbs for my overall health, but I am a volume eater, physically active and tend to overeat.

I feel good about being a brand new part of this really nice group! Thank you everyone!

Daily awareness of the 10-point checking list has helped for sure. Thank you to Jeff and Mark! It has helped me do the best as I can. I ate very carefully on Wed. and Thursday. I had a good weight on Thursday morning. For the rest of Thursday, I made sure that I did not start to eat every meal until I was really hungry and stopped before getting as full as I was able.
gracezw

Postby Judy_Bell » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi All,
I am finding inspiration in everyone's posts.
This week I am down 1 pound since last week. Earlier in the week, I was down a pound and a half, but I know that weight fluctuates throughout the day/week and I am hopeful that weight will continue to leave my body :D
This week I am still struggling with point #10. I have never enjoyed exercise, and remember as a child writing my own notes to get out of PE. :P I do own both a treadmill and an elliptical trainer, which are buried under crap in my garage, but that's another area I need to lighten my load.
Following the rest of 10 points, I am 100% on some, and struggling more with others these days.
When I started, I really jumped in, and find myself slacking as the weight drops off more slowly. Obviously, slacking doesn't help!
I have not been as compliant with starting each meal with soup/salad/fruit, as I think I am getting a little tired of cooking. I really need to do some batch cooking on the weekends, and prepare some soups and/or compliant salad dressings that can just be thrown onto some greens.
Fruit for dessert is 100%
Reducing sugars is 100%, salts ~80%. I still add some at the table, but no longer cook with any.
No animal foods - 100%
I find myself still eating some higher fat plant foods, not a lot, but "cashew parmesan" on mushroom bolognese, and flax in my oatmeal (Does that count?) Can forgo avocado when my husband is having it with the same meal. Not a problem.
No oil - 100%
Four products - I find myself still using them. Again, not a lot, but too much, obviously, as the slowed weight loss shows. I think maybe this week I will be more mindful of the breads and see if that's a significant stumbling block.
Don't drink calories - I am usually 100% on this, but this week I did make a smoothie for breakfast (2 days!) that consisted of fresh peaches and rolled oats with a little almond milk and flaxmeal. I was in a hurry and had forgotten to prepare my steel cut oats the night before.
I do eat when hungry, and stop when comfortably full. When something is really yummy, I have been trying to not eat another helping for at least 20 minutes, to see if I really NEED it. I think it has been helping.
So, overall, it looks like I had several struggles this week that I will work on in the coming days. Preparing soups/salad dressings ahead, see if I can live without cashew parmesan, ditch the bread, and prepare oatmeal for breakfasts. We'll see if I can ever get active again.
Thanks for all the support. Love your new profile pic, Mark.
Judy_Bell

Postby taymariekay » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:52 pm

Happy Friday everyone!

Last week weight: 184.3
Weight loss this week: 1.8 lbs
Current weight of: 182.5 lbs

Here's how my checklist went:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. I tried to do this a few times, but found that my IBS wasn't thrilled about it.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 100%

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Still using a bit of salt and sugar in condiments, but very small amount.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 100%

6. Eliminate any added oil. 100%

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 100%

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 95% - still splashing my oatmeal with small amount of almond milk

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 90% - active at work but haven't been walking due to just being tired from new work hours.

I'm actually a little shocked at my loss! I haven't lost that much in one week in quite some time. This week I even exercised way less. I have realized that I don't think preloading my meals is necessary at this time, plus I have such a sensitive stomach that any more vegetables than 50/50 plate is too overwhelming for the gut. But, seems to still be working. I actually think I fill myself too much on vegetables sometimes and not enough starch. This week I seemed to keep the balance right, though.

I have made an effort to really cut down on my fruit consumption and I believe that's probably what is showing in my loss. I definitely have a sweet tooth that I try to drown out with fruit. So easy for me to over consume it. So, I stick to 1-2 fruits per day. A strawberry or two after meals as dessert as well.

I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing this week :)
taymariekay

Postby Sue Ancora-imparo » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Weight loss this week = 0
Total weight loss = 2.4

I knew this was going to be a tough week for me. 2 life events, my retirement and my mom's 80th birthday. I celebrated both.
But, I was much more aware of my plate this week.

1. Yes, More salads than fruit to start meal. +
2, Yes, 50/50. Actually last week I was pretty hungry so I increased my starch this week and that helped.
3. Yes, greatly reduced amounts.
4. 6/7 days no animal products.
5. 3/7 nuts...
6. 4/7 no oil
7. 3/7 some snacks, pasta & bread
8. 3/7 don't drink calories
9. 7/7 eat in moderation
10. 5/7 exercise

Definitely room for improvement - but it was an unusual week. My sister gave me a tip to write these 10 steps up in my BUJO as a habit tracker. So I am going to try that for next week.

And thanks for the link to watch Dr. Lisle's video on willpower. It made sense to me.
Sue Ancora-imparo

Postby Hope410 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:29 pm

Hello Mark,

Sorry I didn't post to the weigh-in last week. I procrastinated and forget about posting until 5 on Saturday afternoon.

My weight loss for two weeks was 3.2 LBS.

I followed all 10 points 95% to 100% during both weeks with an exception on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. The family had a cook-out on Sunday for Mom's 92nd birthday. That means there was non-compliant food in my house until after the cook-out, and I indulged a couple of times. My lesson was: NO non-compliant food in the house until MWL WOE is firmly established.

I am very pleased to say I walked on nine days, 3X for 15 minutes and 6X for 30-45 minutes.

Have a great week everyone!
Hope410

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:38 pm

SW: 241.9
CW: 221.2
GW: 150.0
Total Lost: 20.7
Last Week: 223.8
This Week: 221.2
Lost : 2.6 lb

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages) . :thumbsdown: I had a kale smoothie. I know I am not to drink my calories but when I am super fatigued a kale smoothie with chia is my go to reliable immediate pick me up. Thankfully this did not in the least stall my weigh loss this week.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.:thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).:thumbsdown: Again not a possibility - last week I dropped a ceramic canister on my foot. It no longer lives up in a shelf but now on the counter where I can just reach in. None-the-less it damaged two of my toes which I now surmise are broken. They are still very swollen and my foot is turning all those ghastly bruising shades. I hope to be mobile as soon as I can.

Observation for the week -- last week Goose responded to my issue with too much tomato reaction. This week I had a very significant too much cauliflower reaction. I off the cuff explained this last week as gut reactions - but the symptoms of what my gut does not agree with are joint pain symptoms. So Goose explains her wrists react - as do mine, and my knees, hips and shoulders, but not all at once - just one at a time for just a couple of days after the trigger food.

For me it's the types of sugars in the foods I am intolerant too. The worst is a food that contains both naturally occurring fructans and mannitol sugars - such as watermelon. This week I made Mary McDougall's French Vegetable Soup- a huge stock pot full and enough to be weeks worth of dinners for me. I forgot that cauliflower will cause me great pain and sure enough only a cupful of cauliflower (literally a few of florets per bowl) put me out of commission for two days.

A good friend here (who became a Star McDougaller) let me know about FODMAPS to help discern food intolerances that might be sugars related. Her goal on McDougall was not just weight loss, but reversing psoriatic arthritis. She succeeded in both by adherence to this WOE and did many food challenges to identify her trigger foods as well.

I think at this point my diagnosis of fibromyalgia may be incorrect and I may be one who because of this diet avoided big flare PsA symptoms - I do not have massive skin plaques for instance. However, I do exhibit all the symptoms in a very low grade way until I encounter trigger foods.

Good progress to everyone and stay healthy - Michelle
Last edited by lmggallagher on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmggallagher

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:05 pm

josietheschnauzer - No problems of which to speak makes for a good week! If you're doing an excellent job practicing the behaviors described in the MWL 10-Point Checklist, you are focusing your attention and energies correctly. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on a single week's weigh-in result, since many factors can influence any given scale reading. Keep strictly adhering to the guidelines and give yourself some time to see what feedback the scale provides over the next few weeks. Regarding how to know when you are at the "right weight," Dr. McDougall discusses that question in this newsletter.
How Do You Tell If You’re the Right Weight?

Take off all of your clothes and stand in front of the mirror. Do you like what you see? All the weight charts in the world pale in importance to your own perceptions.

One Important Precaution. If you are too thin and have any concern that this might be a health issue then please check with your doctor. Illnesses, like cancer, infectious diseases (AIDS), liver and thyroid disease can also cause excessive weight loss. So can some serious psychological problems, like anorexia and depression.
In this thread on Optimum BMI, Jeff reviews the evidence suggesting adults should try to maintain a BMI in the 18.5-22 range. Keep in mind -
JeffN wrote:There are many biomarkers used to help determine/evaluate someone's health.

These include (but not limited to)

BMI,
Waist Circumference
Waist to hip ratio
Waist to height ratio
Percentage Body Fat

Total Cholesterol
LDL
HDL
LDL/HDL
Total Cholesterol/HDL
Triglycerides

Blood sugar
insulin

Etc, etc

BMI is just one marker, as are all of the rest, and no one marker alone can predict someones health outcomes. And, they are just markers.

Or as the old saying goes, they are "fingers pointing to the moon" but not the "moon" itself.

I still think the "plate test" is the best test there is :)
Wildgoose describes how she determined her "goal weight" in this post, which may be of interest. It may also be worthwhile to take a moment for a review of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, just to see if anything might be "slipping through the cracks;" since results are the product of adherence and time, if adherence is excellent allow more time.

Abe - One's rate of weight loss does tend to slow down over time, for all the reasons Jeff outlines here. When facing a plateau, he recommends
JeffN wrote:a very honest and thorough appraisal of the guidelines and principles of the MWL program and calorie density and their understanding and adherence to them.

Then, make the recommended adjustments as needed.

Remember, the program always works because it is based on sound science and the laws of physics.

Your goals don't seem unreasonable to me, and the checklist outlines the behaviors that are most effective for achieving those goals in a healthful and sustainable way. Like I wrote to josie above, if adherence is excellent allow more time.

jan_npr - Congratulations on hitting that 5 pound mark! It looks like you had a good week, and I'm glad you are feeling like you are on the right track.
jan_npr wrote:I've been drinking water based cocoa a few times a week. How bad is this?
That depends on how much you are including and your own specific goals or concerns. Jeff has a thread examining considerations and concerns with chocolate, including cocoa powder.
JeffN wrote:Cocoa is ~50% fat, ~30% saturated fat and ~1000 cal/lb. Most cocoa powders, including organic ones, are contaminated with heavy metals.
JeffN wrote:If someone wanted to include some cocoa, the safest way might be to find some pure cocoa powder that is not processed with alkali and limit its use to a serving (1 tbsp) per day.
JeffN wrote:In the bigger picture, a small amount of any cocoa on occasion is not likely harmful. However it is not a health food, and the fat, sat fat, heavy metals etc could add up quickly.
JeffN wrote:However, as I said in other threads, these 5% exceptions can add up fast and if you add in enough of them (oil, chocolate, wine, cheese, etc) the next thing you know they are making up the majority of your calories and the real food has been pushed to the side.
That exercise challenge sounds great! What is your plan for fitting exercise into your daily routine?

kirstykay - Modest progress is progress, nevertheless! It seems like you did the best you could, taking into account the directions from your surgeon and the need to accommodate your recovery and healing. Best of luck with your follow-up evaluation, and for a continuing smooth recovery. :)

AnnetteW - Kudos! That seems like a solid week of progress to me. Doing the best you can, within your own context, and feeling good about your progress and your choices seems really important; I think that is a great position from which to proceed, and you can always adjust choices as that context evolves. :D

rlechols - Another good week!!! Isn't it nice to feel happy both with where you are at and where you are heading? It seems like you've established a pattern of gradual, steady progress in a manner that feels sustainable for you. :nod:

NateKruse - Congratulations on your continuing progress! Those french fries sound very appetizing, and you seem to have your recipe down to a science - quick and easy. Depending on the quantity of "cheese" sauce you are using, and the specific recipe, this may be relevant -
Mark Cooper wrote:Jeff discusses nutritional yeast in this thread. Nutritional yeast is ~1700 calories / lb (just as calorie dense as sugar), so if one were to choose to use it, it should be used very sparingly as a condiment, following the same guidelines as for sugar.

wstokes - Wow! That is a big number! Even if some of those lost pounds are "found" next time, if you're making continuing progress implementing the recommended behaviors, you are headed in the right direction. :D

chaz01 - Very exciting! Consistently exercising EVERY SINGLE DAY this year is absolutely something in which you should take pride; take a bow! It sounds like you did very well with the checklist, overall. We've had loads of greens in our CSA box here, as well; I've been very much enjoying all the variety in my monster salads.

Ejg - Nice loss and congratulations on what appears to have been a great week! You are definitely not alone in viewing a controlled environment as a key factor; removing temptations entirely can certainly make adherence more easily attainable. I think it is really fantastic that you were able to discuss things with your daughter and arrive at a satisfactory solution. :thumbsup:

jnc - I'm glad to hear you are pleased and feel like you are getting on track! Continuing progress is the name of the game; you tackled some important areas this week and you know where to direct your focus in the week to come. Keep it up!

abible - Kudos! You know what you did well this week, and you have some clear opportunities you can "tighten up" to support your progress as you proceed.

Belana - It can be a challenge to keep the days straight under the shadow of covid-19, right? Best of luck making some opportunities for cycling!

pootsy - I hope your sister is doing well, that sounds like a stressful situation. If you need some extra motivation for nixing the dairy - Dr. McDougall lays out some good reasons.
Heart disease, cancer, type-2 diabetes, arthritis, and infectious disease are only a few of the common consequences of drinking milk from other animal species.
I'm very relieved to hear that those Chubby Chips didn't require a call to the fire department!
pootsy wrote:Sometimes easy ensures success.
So true!

gracezw - Welcome! I'm thrilled you are joining us! Continue putting the MWL 10-Point Checklist to good use; I tend to eat a substantial volume of food each day, as well, and MWL has really made a difference for me.

Judy_Bell - Kudos on your progress! Would a simple daily walk possibly work for you, as a way to fit exercise into your routine? I think it can be pretty common for motivation to waver somewhat, as the rate of weight loss starts to slow. Contrarily, this is exactly when greater attention to behavior is necessary for continued progress. If you can frame your idea of progress on practicing the appropriate behaviors, to the best of your ability, it can be a way to free yourself from the de-motivating influence of factors outside your control. Continue to apply yourself to overcoming those struggles you highlight - doing an excellent job can be quite motivating. Time invested in adequate preparation is always time well spent. :D

taymariekay - Way to go! It seems as though you are getting everything "dialed-in" in the ways that work for you right now, and you know those areas where you can make some adjustments, if needed. Keep it up!

Sue Ancora-imparo - Those tough weeks do happen - celebratory occasions often present challenges. As you said, an unusual week; using a habit tracker to keep up with the MWL 10-Point Checklist sounds like a great idea - a good way to make those beneficial behaviors your "usual."

Hope410 - You had a pretty successful fortnight, it seems! Way to go working on that exercise habit! :thumbsup: Celebrations can certainly be fraught with temptation.
Hope410 wrote:My lesson was: NO non-compliant food in the house until MWL WOE is firmly established.
That seems like an excellent takeaway.

lmggallagher - Way to go, Michelle! You are making the checklist work for you! I hope those injured toes aren't hurting you too terribly, and you experience some relief from those other pain reactions. I'm pretty certain this WOE has been a significant factor in mitigating my CRPS symptoms (although they are substantial, I'm not nearly as debilitated as many with CRPS). It can be so strange having the delayed reactions like you describe, and I've certainly found it very much a "moving target" and an ongoing project to narrow down what helps vs. hinders in my own situation.
Mark Cooper

Postby Ren1999 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:58 pm

6 minutes before this thread closes...
I started a week ago on a simi-MWL
Today I started cold turkey.
I am late 60's, 5'2" and weigh 156 (having lost 1 pound on the semi diet)
I have been a yo-yo dieter for decades.
It has had a bad effect on my body and made it difficult to lose weight no matter what I try.
So that's me in a nutshell...
My friend told me about this group (already familiar with this way of eating) so here I am
trying it again.
Anyway, nice to be on board!
Ren1999

Postby Miss Kim » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:20 pm

I am unable to weigh in.
I've been in Wyoming since last Friday. My son has a herniated disc and I'm staying at his house to help him. The ability to working remotely full time is such a blessing. He's started Egoscue exercise therapy Wednesday, but I will probably be here another week or more. I've really enjoyed being here so far, having good talks and playing cards.
My husband is almost walking without crutches. He is lonely without me, but he is able to be on his own now after his hip surgery 8 weeks ago.
I've been cooking most days and I can find everything I need at the local grocery store. My son is enjoying my MWL recipes. I ate a few things not on the MWL list, but for the most part I am doing well. He had a bag of Peanut M&Ms and I didn't eat any of them. This is a big success for me. :-D

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 5/7
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method 2) Choose fruit for desert. 6/7
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. 7/7
4) Eliminate all animal foods. 5/7 we had cheese tortellini for dinner 2 nights.
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 6/7 ate 5 macadamia nuts one day.
6) Eliminate any added oil. 7/7
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 5/7 ate cereal 2 mornings.
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. 7/7
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 7/7
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. 4/7 I'm finally in a groove, so this should pick up this next week.

Have a great week,
Kim
Miss Kim

Postby squealcat » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:52 pm

Last week's weight 196.2
This week: 197.5
1.3# gain this week

I was not going to post today. I was doing very well and then a couple of thunder storms later we lost power and POOF ! No lights, laundry half finished in the washer, no water (we live in the country), no shower, no flushing toilets.......and no cooking, had to eat out..... I was not happy .

I DID weigh myself this morning and actually was happy with what I saw but a little sad because I realized that I was probably losing weight this week since I was seeing just a little gain today.

All my prepped food had to be thrown out (and I made quite a bit). Did the bare basics today as far as eating.

Most of the MWL points were a problem for me the past 3 days. I realize that I must learn to not turn my back on those in the future. If this is my life now, I need to see this way of eating as an easy way to eat even when life changes very quickly around and I suddenly am in the dark with no power.

I did still exercise except for one day and that is pretty good. I also read two books !

I am looking forward to the next week. It is better all ready !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby jasonrhoads1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:07 pm

Happy Friday!

Previous weight 209.2 lbs
Weight change -.8 lbs now 208.4 lbs
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week:1 - 3, 5,8, 9 10
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention: 4, 6,7
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support:
Had some higher calorie foods this week including sourdough pancakes and veggie sausages that had eggs in them. I got our bikes out and we have been doing family bike rides a few times a week. We have a bike trailer for the little ones as well. We went swimming for the first time since covid-19 began as well. It is easy to see that it is much easier to control what goes in my body then to deal with burning off the CRAP, calorie rich and processed food - Jeff Novick. Just went shopping so have plenty of fruits, veggies and starches to make this next week a success!

~Jason
jasonrhoads1

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program