August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:18 am

deweyswakms wrote:8/23/19 weigh-in
Last Week: 194.2
Today: 194.0
Change: -0.2 pounds

Well, I hoped for more loss. I was probably 95% compliant but I wonder if I am eating too many beans and not enough veggies. I did run out of my my starch, brown rice. And I need to be in the swimming pool. I just love being outside in the summer SUN since I live in the gray and gloomy NW. Anyway, this is typical for my 72 year old body. Losing weight at this age is hard for me. A week ago I hit 193 one day but then bounced right back to 194.2. I know if I am patient and persistent, my body will drop another .4 or .5 a pound probably this week. And I will stay on plan.

So, keep on keeping on!

Update 8/24/19: Today 193.4! yesterday 194.2 yahoo!! of course it's a day after the weigh-in, but I knew if I kept to the program I would see a loss. Sure enough. And I went to a concert yesterday, and stayed on the plan! No junky concert food for me because I ate ahead of time and brought a bit of food with me. I did enjoy 1 special ale. Now to maintain at 193.4 and maybe hit 193.0 by Thursday!
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Michele613 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:56 pm

Wishing everyone a good week. Enjoyed the tales of the past weeks from all of you....refreshing...read like 'honest reporting'.

Well I am not on program....in a mere 2 weeks I have GAINED back everything PLUS 7#s.....how all my efforts can be UNDONE so easily and quickly is more unbelievable than frustrating. I feel like I have stepped into a never-ending nightmare. My first time around on McD I lost 17#s in 7 weeks approx and here I am 2 years later up 7#s from my then start weight.

Now I am thinking that my scale didn't actually break last week (or was it the week before) but rather my commitment and desire just went on an extended vacay....though it's only been 2....just 2....weeks.

Well after reading all the sharing I am feeling 'just human' and that fact alone is hardly comforting. The struggle is SUCHHHHHHHHHHHH a struggle for some reason at this go around. It's clearly just easier to 'give in and give up' but ultimately we know the long-term consequences of that, not being limited to poor or exacerbated health issues and further self-loathing as well as nothing to wear.

Well I may 'lurk' in the forum for a bit until I have something + to share...boy this is a depressing post....sorry everyone....had too much sugar I guess. :\
Michele613

Postby sirdle » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:30 pm

Michele613 wrote:Well I am not on program....in a mere 2 weeks I have GAINED back everything PLUS 7#s.....how all my efforts can be UNDONE so easily and quickly is more unbelievable than frustrating. I feel like I have stepped into a never-ending nightmare. My first time around on McD I lost 17#s in 7 weeks approx and here I am 2 years later up 7#s from my then start weight.

Now I am thinking that my scale didn't actually break last week (or was it the week before) but rather my commitment and desire just went on an extended vacay....though it's only been 2....just 2....weeks.

Well after reading all the sharing I am feeling 'just human' and that fact alone is hardly comforting. The struggle is SUCHHHHHHHHHHHH a struggle for some reason at this go around. It's clearly just easier to 'give in and give up' but ultimately we know the long-term consequences of that, not being limited to poor or exacerbated health issues and further self-loathing as well as nothing to wear.

Well I may 'lurk' in the forum for a bit until I have something + to share...boy this is a depressing post....sorry everyone....had too much sugar I guess. :\

Hello Michele,

I'm sorry things aren't going well for you. :(

We all have ups and downs... and many of us (on this thread) have failed more than once before finding our groove and becoming successful. It is disheartening and frustrating and demoralizing. And when we fail there is often a feeling of self-loathing. At least there has been for me.

But you don't have to lurk. You are welcome to post any thoughts you have about your struggle and we'll listen. If you ask, we may even post suggestions about how to handle whatever obstacles you're facing. Don't worry about not having many positive experiences to share... If people post only when things are going well, then this thread will make it look like this program is very easy and the only people who struggle are those who are defective in some way. And that's simply not true.

What do you think is different this time from your experience 2 years ago? :?

Wishing you the best!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby amandamechele » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:19 am

sirdle - Congrats on the loss. :)

Marsha - You were smart to not doubt the power of patience and persistence. How wonderful that you got to see that extra little loss. Good for you for keep on keepin’ on...especially at a concert. That takes dedication..

Lorna - No matter what the ratio of fat to water was this week, it is evidence that you have been doing well. Keep it up!

Laura - No gain! Thank goodness for small blessings. Best wishes this week.

Hi Vee - Thanks for checking in. :)

Connie - I’m sorry to hear about your father in law, both his injury and his unhappiness. I’m glad to hear that you have your home back too. You can turn this around now that the extra strain of caring for him and dealing with his negative attitude is gone. Hopefully your sister in law has a better time of it.

Michele - Please continue to lurk or check in or whatever you feel most comfortable with (and that may be taking a break - this is not meant to cause distress, though it can, believe me, I know). You may feel less pressure about this by privately logging your weight each week and journaling your adherence level in a little book. You may be feeling a bit ego trapped. Here is a link to an excellent talk about it, from the Beat Your Genes Podcast - Explaining the Ego Trap Part 1 of 2. Explaining the Ego Trap Part 2 of 2. Sirdle has made excellent points. This is not easy to do, for some more than others - you’re talking to the poster child for that sentiment. The prescription for that feeling is to set very specific goals and then do your best to meet them. You need to prove to yourself you are working hard. Chose one very small thing - I will not eat meat for 7 days, for example - and that is what you aim for. Other things get a pass, you can chose to do a bit or more not, but it is not required this week. Oh, this is sounding like one of the questions from the of the most recent BYG podcast - Do Rewards Improve Motivation? Can parents toughen up their kids?.

amandamechele

Postby Michele613 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:26 am

Thank you Sirdle and Amy for your acceptance and support....a lot of wisdom in your remarks.
Michele613

Postby moonlight » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:02 am

Rosey wrote:Hi everyone. Been an interesting few weeks.... Clearly I need to take better care of myself when things get stressful and someone offers me junk at same time it's stressful. Getting back on track now and reporting in. My FIL fell and cracked his hip 6 weeks ago and when they let him out of rehab he had to come here for a few weeks and keep wanting to get junk foods oh my. He is able to be on own now but his apartment isn't ok for him. He will be moving in with his Daughter and SIL once they get bedroom cleaned for him but for now he's living in his apartment on the main floor and going to her house to do showers. Whole time he was with us he was complaining and grumping about not being in his home town where most his friends are. luckily 1 of his friends does live down here and came and got him a couple times and went to dinner together. Seeing how I handle this I need to be more prepared in my mind to say no to things and get myself out in garden if someone is grumping at me that can't make it out to the garden. Love him dearly and lived with him for many years but he is so different when he's in pain and not in his own town. Change isn't setting well with him. I keep praying that he does ok moving in with his daughter and her family.

Hi Rosey,
It's good to hear from you. Life has a way of whipping us around sometimes. I think you are so kind to move your FIL into your house when he needs it. Hopefully, his situation will improve. You are doing the right thing to get back in the MWL groove. Sometimes eating can feel so out of control but really it is one of the things in our lives that we can control. Better eating equals better health everytime. I am wishing you the best. :)
moonlight

Postby vegman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks sirdle and amandamechele for your comments.

BMI wonderfulness is relative.

I've found that keeping busy automatically reduces my food intake. I've been very busy the past few days, and my weight is significantly lower than on Thursday.
vegman

Postby Aprincess » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:11 am

moonlight wrote:Sometimes eating can feel so out of control but really it is one of the things in our lives that we can control. Better eating equals better health everytime. I am wishing you the best. :)

So comforting and encouraging. Love this!

~ Amy
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby Shortnsweet » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:26 am

Michele613 wrote: Well I am not on program....in a mere 2 weeks I have GAINED back everything PLUS 7#s.....how all my efforts can be UNDONE so easily and quickly is more unbelievable than frustrating. I feel like I have stepped into a never-ending nightmare. My first time around on McD I lost 17#s in 7 weeks approx and here I am 2 years later up 7#s from my then start weight.

Been there. Done that.
Lurk. Just lurk until you get your mojo back and you're ready to try again. Just hang onto that glimmer of hope that you CAN and WILL do it again and be successful!

I lost 38 pounds last year and gained it all back, plus 3 pounds. I gained 41 pounds in 10-months.

I was consciously aware that I was slipping and sliding deeper and deeper and for 6-months (Jan - June) I just COULDN'T. It was just a NO for me.

Finally, I had just one more ounce of disgust with myself which was enough to get me going again. In the past 12-weeks I've lost 14.8 pounds. Not 15 pounds. 14.8 pounds. ;-)

This group has helped me stay accountable and stay on track. We're here for you when you're ready.
Shortnsweet

Postby Michele613 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:34 am

Dear SnS,

I'm crying... thank you for your encouragement, validation and compassion. I just don't know why I am in such a depression...I am a moody person but usually fake it pretty well...I am just at a lost point. I have a remnant of vanity left and so I usually stop myself before I get too deep into the mire...this time, however, I have slipped into deeper mud than ever before and now, at my 71 birthday, I am losing myself instead of my weight. I'll try...my moods do pass but this one isn't passing quickly :crybaby: enough. I know I'll be embarrassed at some future point for having been such a baby right now. Snif, snif.....
thank you so much for sharing your struggles and helping support mine.
Michele613

Postby Shortnsweet » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:45 am

I've had a few days to reflect on this past week's weigh-in results. And, even though I lost 1.3 pounds - and - even though I've lost 14.8 pounds - I STILL FEEL LIKE EVERYTHING IS IN SLOW MOTION!!!!!

So I went back to the data and compared 12-weeks last year to 12-weeks this year.
Last year 12-weeks from June - August I lost 6.9 pounds.
This year 12-weeks from June - August I lost 14.8 pounds.

I'm doing better this time than last time! Whaaaaaa?

Dr. Lisle says that when we remember something like weight loss we forget the struggle. We only remember snippets and the end result. I remember that I lost 38 pounds. I don't really remember struggling. But, if that's all I remembered was struggle then I wouldn't do this again. He likens it to giving birth. If all we remembered was the pain no one would give birth again. This is the interview where he talks about that: https://youtu.be/38Dersehd0Q

And this reminds me that I've been meaning to watch this webinar with Dr. Lisle talking about losing weight the slow fast way. https://youtu.be/Z44mvtDfquU

Later peeps!
Shortnsweet

Postby Shortnsweet » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:59 am

Fingers crossed for official weigh-in day!
Shortnsweet

Postby laurag » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:19 am

Michele613 wrote:Dear SnS,

I'm crying... thank you for your encouragement, validation and compassion. I just don't know why I am in such a depression...I am a moody person but usually fake it pretty well...I am just at a lost point. I have a remnant of vanity left and so I usually stop myself before I get too deep into the mire...this time, however, I have slipped into deeper mud than ever before and now, at my 71 birthday, I am losing myself instead of my weight. I'll try...my moods do pass but this one isn't passing quickly :crybaby: enough. I know I'll be embarrassed at some future point for having been such a baby right now. Snif, snif.....
thank you so much for sharing your struggles and helping support mine.

Hi there M613 :) we r all beautiful souls. it's ok to be sad but don't stay there, that is one of my favorites and Dr McDougall says walking and eating potatoes great for depression. I've been doing a lot of Eckhart Tolle always helps me. It sounds like u r really going thru something. Be kind to yourself :nod: that's another one of my favorites. I'm sitting down to my oatmeal and berries after my walk( out of potatoes!) But I ate bread not even good bread and peanuts coated with sugar yesterday after swearing I will be totally compliant and feeling like I was ready to totally commit and that believe me is a good day for food comparatively! I will keep trying to get this so it is comfortable and happy and healthy, just thought I would share good luck to I and everyone
laurag

Postby Michele613 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 am

Thank you LAURAG for your kind and supportive remarks. I'll try to 'big' it out :)
Michele613

Postby Rosey » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:39 pm

Thanks everyone. Love you guys.
Rosey

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program