November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Health 1st » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:03 pm

*****Had trouble signing in; I'm sorry for the delay. It said I signed in too many times even though I hadn't for 1 week. :shock: Had to do the puzzle. I'll do better next week by allowing more than a few minutes before the deadline to sign-in.*****

Weight change +/- in lbs:  -1  (287.2 - 286.2, but went up to 292.2 during the week :roll: )

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.----No, but better than last week.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.----Better than last week.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.----Yes.

4. Eliminate all animal foods, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).----No, had some cheese.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).----Had avocado 1 time.

6. Eliminate any added oil.----I didn't add oil, but had processed food that contained oil.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.----No, but did better than last week.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).----Yes, did not have.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.---No, worse than last week.  Several days got way too hungry + then ate convenient, non MWL items.  Have to have potatoes + other things at the ready!

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).---Yes, 6/7 days.  Missed 1 day because of lots of rain, wind, + it gets so dark so early.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

----Sleep was a bit better this week, but still some bad days like this past night with only 4 total hours.

----Am behind so will be short.  Still struggling with being okay with not being 100% perfect in eating 24/7/365. No time to pan out.  Mark, wildgoose, others, how do you mentally deal with possibly having non-MWL things + yet getting right back on track + not letting the accidental or purposely done slip bother you that you put something so unhealthy in your body--and I'm not even talking about an occasional nut or tiny slice of avocado, though for you, those could be deal breakers?  Any strategies or thoughts would be so helpful.
Thank you!!!

----My bump in weight earlier in the week was from planning on really doing well, so I finished up some non-MWL stuff. :? I think I've been having trouble with being 100% solidly on-plan because my schedule has still been really crazy with not enough sleep, + 2nd, I think I'm afraid I'll slip off-plan even after months of being on-plan. And I don't think it's even an ego thing like Dr. Lisle talks about. ...I just have to be okay with being 100% compliant 99% of the time, because that is more realistic than expecting myself to be 100% 100% of the time. I find that hard after knowing how bad off-plan food is for our bodies...yet doing what I have been is even worse. :roll: At least this week I had quite a few 50/50 plates, actually more like 60-70veg/40-30 starch. But I know 50/50 is ideal for satiety.

----Wishing everyone a blessed week, + for my fellow Americans, a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

Edited to fix errors and to provide more information because I didn't have time to do so when I originally posted. Caution to others: there still, at times, are glitches in the system. Try to post sooner than the last 5 minutes before the deadline. :)
Last edited by Health 1st on Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Health 1st

Mark's Replies for November 19 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:15 pm

cmcavazos2 - Really good progress, Christine! The efforts you invested in planning for the week seem to be serving you well. :nod: Kudos to you for also having a solid plan to tackle the upcoming holiday travel. :thumbsup:

Hope410 - 9/10 YESes and a 1.2 pound loss! And, with a plan and schedule to include time for exercise, you'll be hitting all 10 points. :D I love getting my exercise early in the day; it seems to set a positive, energized tone for the remaining hours.

VegSeekingFit - Woo-hoo! Down 2.2 lbs and feeling great! I think that focus on keeping things simple and making your prep as quick and easy as possible will prove valuable, Stephanie. For my immediate family and me, we tend not to make a big to-do about Thanksgiving; we typically just have one of our favorite MWL adherent recipes (which is pretty similar to most other days :-D ). Red lentil chili sounds great, it's always been a popular one with my relatives. Have a fun, healthful week!

Gimmelean - A 2.2 pound loss for you, too! Focus toward adherence yields results, right?
Gimmelean wrote:I will always have lapses and have finally let go of striving for perfection and know that when I do gain it’s within my control to manage it without anxiety, guilt, or shame. Like all of us, those feelings will come back for sure without warning but I’m in a good place to deal with them here.
That feels like an important realization to me. Paraphrasing something I read recently (exactly where escapes me), "think of failure as an experiment, not a verdict." Having a solid plan for the holiday puts you in a great position. Enjoy the time with your loved ones!

squealcat - Wow! 2.3 lbs for you, Marilyn! Keep accumulating those checkmarks! I'm glad that requested adjustment at your daughter's house worked out for you - the dog was even pitching in to help, right?!? :lol: I'm sure it will be lovely to have the kids & grandkids over, and sending leftovers with them is a great idea. A nice, easy, satisfying and adherent Thanksgiving meal sounds lovely. Have a great week!

CUgorji22 - YAY! No animal foods, progress with exercise, and adherent snacks at the retreat! I'm glad the Marriage Retreat was a wonderful experience for you and your husband, Chesca, even if you weren't able to have as much control over your food choices as you might have wished. Observing that social engagement may require a little extra focus to support adherence seems like valuable information going forward. With a little thought, I imagine you can address that well, perhaps with something like these restaurant cards? None of the various plant "milks" are recommended for MWL, since they are all liquid calories
JeffN wrote:Don’t drink your calories
In regard to ways of reporting adherence, I would encourage you to take some time and think about what might best motivate you, and when you have felt most motivated in the past. Remember that the goal is improving ADHERENCE with time, so think about what information, in what form, would best help you to do that. Personally, I like a binary YES or NO, but I tend to be pretty black & white about things, and for some people that might be more discouraging than encouraging. You likely know yourself best. Keep in mind, too, that our goal isn't some sort of "passing grade," but rather supporting and maintaining ADHERENCE over a progression of time. Does that make sense to you?

Noella - Looking good, feeling great, and healing your knees! Big wins! I'm sure it felt really nice and reassuring to have your progress validated by those measures at the clinic. Continue your efforts and that plateau will give way in due course. You have the right of it: "Patience" & "Diligence." Keep up the great work!
Mark Cooper

November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:48 pm

Health 1st - You missed the window for reporting this week, but I wanted to respond to your specific question, as it feels like a pretty important one. With luck, wildgoose will also reply, as I'm sure she has an insightful perspective on this topic.
Health 1st wrote:Mark, wildgoose, others, how do you mentally deal with possible having non-MWL things + yet getting right back on track + not letting the accidental or purposely done slip bother you that you put something so unhealthy in your body
In the past, this was something I really struggled with, as do many participants I would imagine. It seems to me that this feeling of self-recrimination goes hand in hand with the common societal view that weight loss is about "self-control," "moderation" and "limitation" (perhaps even "deprivation"). What changed things for me was a true realization that my success or failure within the context of a given circumstance was not a product of my self-worth, but rather a result of a meeting between my practice/routine, my environment, and the situation. Our goal is to attain and sustain adherence to the recommended pattern of behavior over time. Our prevailing pattern of behavior is the key determinant of our results. If we have a "failure point" and our pattern of behavior deviates from what is recommended, it says nothing about our worth (and doesn't, in and of itself, necessarily say anything about our health, either). What it does tell us, is we need to make some changes or adjustments to our practice - our routine needs to be modified, or our environment needs to be altered, or both. With those changes made, we move forward in a fortified position, and with each "failure point" and adjustment our practice becomes more effective and more resilient. We also build confidence. What is important, then, about a "slip" is LEARNING from it, so that we adjust our environment and routine to support our future success. This is an iterative process over the long haul, and, when applied consistently, it leads to lasting success. I can honestly say that I don't actually have any "slips" anymore, because I've been practicing this way of eating for a long time, optimizing my routine, and it is durable and well-tested. But, that didn't happen overnight, and it took a substantial period of focus and effort. I think this earlier post I wrote also speaks to this question, and may speak to you.
Mark Cooper wrote:I think people tend to underestimate how much that toxic food environment is stacked against all of us. The convenience stores, groceries and restaurants are replete with calorie rich, ultra-processed, unhealthy "foods," supported by an unceasing (and increasingly targeted) advertising machine. Untold dollars and resources are expended devising and presenting more and more insidious "food traps" to ensnare us. No wonder it's a struggle! The problem isn't you! As Dr. McDougall would say, "It's the food!" Taking all that into account, it seems essential that we stack the deck in our favor. The people who are able to successfully practice this WOE long-term, the people who make adherence "look easy" have actually invested enormous amounts of time and effort to shift the balance to be as much in their favor as possible. They have a plan for how to succeed, tested by trial and error, time and effort. To paraphrase Jeff, "things may not always turn out the way we planned, but we increase our odds of success by planning to succeed." If we take it as a given that we can't be successful, or don't try, we are planning to fail. This lifestyle only starts to feel "easy" after all that work has been put into making it so. Don't fault yourself when this is hard, but don't fool yourself into thinking it will ever get easy without putting in A GREAT DEAL of work.
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - November 19, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:03 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for November 19 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for November 19 - Part 2

By my count, 10 participants reported for our third November 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the third Friday in November:

Week ending 11/19/2021: 10 participants reported a total change of -10.70 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
CUgorji22 +0.60
Total gains: +0.60
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN/ STARTING OUT
GreenFroG 0.00
Noella 0.00
Rebecka22 -0.40
Cmcavazos2 -0.60
Hope410 -1.20
Gimmelean -2.20
VegSeekingFit -2.20
Squealcat -2.30
BambiS -2.40
Total losses: -11.30
Cumulative group loss for November 2021 to date: 40.10 pounds
Average loss for week ending November 19: 1.07 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2021: 48.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2021: 35.90 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2021: 34.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2021: 64.95 pounds
Cumulative group loss for August 2021: 49.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for September 2021: 18.84 pounds
Cumulative group loss for October 2021: 7.10 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 26, 2021.

Congratulations, everyone! We have one more November weigh-in, and it is right after Thanksgiving! I offer my best wishes for a joyous, thankful day to everyone who celebrates that holiday, and encourage you to have a considered plan for attending to MWL within that context.

Please allow me to share Jeff's lovely reflections on the upcoming festivities: Giving Thanks

It is a truly rewarding read.
JeffN wrote:Following is one of my favorite food quotes of all time, and it comes from the book The Life We Are Given by George Leonard and Michael Murphy. I think it has a powerful message that is appropriate for this time of the year.

“Finally, how we eat, just as is the case with how we exercise, stands as a fundamental expression of our embodiment and is thus important to our practice, not merely for the benefits it might bring but for its own sake. To eat with full awareness turns us toward a diet that is both good and good for us. It rejoins us with the matrix of our existence and can inspire us with thanksgiving for the everyday wonder of food, the everlasting miracle of the life we are given.”

Have a excellent, joy-filled, and healthful week! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Health 1st » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:21 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Health 1st - You missed the window for reporting this week, but I wanted to respond to your specific question, as it feels like a pretty important one. With luck, wildgoose will also reply, as I'm sure she has an insightful perspective on this topic.
Health 1st wrote:Mark, wildgoose, others, how do you mentally deal with possible having non-MWL things + yet getting right back on track + not letting the accidental or purposely done slip bother you that you put something so unhealthy in your body
In the past, this was something I really struggled with, as do many participants I would imagine. It seems to me that this feeling of self-recrimination goes hand in hand with the common societal view that weight loss is about "self-control," "moderation" and "limitation" (perhaps even "deprivation"). What changed things for me was a true realization that my success or failure within the context of a given circumstance was not a product of my self-worth, but rather a result of a meeting between my practice/routine, my environment, and the situation. Our goal is to attain and sustain adherence to the recommended pattern of behavior over time. Our prevailing pattern of behavior is the key determinant of our results. If we have a "failure point" and our pattern of behavior deviates from what is recommended, it says nothing about our worth (and doesn't, in and of itself, necessarily say anything about our health, either). What it does tell us, is we need to make some changes or adjustments to our practice - our routine needs to be modified, or our environment needs to be altered, or both. With those changes made, we move forward in a fortified position, and with each "failure point" and adjustment our practice becomes more effective and more resilient. We also build confidence. What is important, then, about a "slip" is LEARNING from it, so that we adjust our environment and routine to support our future success. This is an iterative process over the long haul, and, when applied consistently, it leads to lasting success. I can honestly say that I don't actually have any "slips" anymore, because I've been practicing this way of eating for a long time, optimizing my routine, and it is durable and well-tested. But, that didn't happen overnight, and it took a substantial period of focus and effort. I think this earlier post I wrote also speaks to this question, and may speak to you.
Mark Cooper wrote:I think people tend to underestimate how much that toxic food environment is stacked against all of us. The convenience stores, groceries and restaurants are replete with calorie rich, ultra-processed, unhealthy "foods," supported by an unceasing (and increasingly targeted) advertising machine. Untold dollars and resources are expended devising and presenting more and more insidious "food traps" to ensnare us. No wonder it's a struggle! The problem isn't you! As Dr. McDougall would say, "It's the food!" Taking all that into account, it seems essential that we stack the deck in our favor. The people who are able to successfully practice this WOE long-term, the people who make adherence "look easy" have actually invested enormous amounts of time and effort to shift the balance to be as much in their favor as possible. They have a plan for how to succeed, tested by trial and error, time and effort. To paraphrase Jeff, "things may not always turn out the way we planned, but we increase our odds of success by planning to succeed." If we take it as a given that we can't be successful, or don't try, we are planning to fail. This lifestyle only starts to feel "easy" after all that work has been put into making it so. Don't fault yourself when this is hard, but don't fool yourself into thinking it will ever get easy without putting in A GREAT DEAL of work.

Mark,

I just edited my post to fix errors and to provide some more information. Now I just saw that you replied to my question despite my not making the deadline; thank you so much!! I quickly read it but look forward reading it slowly later...duty calls. But thank you! This topic has really been a hang up for me because then I struggle with the all or nothing mentality which I know is dumb. :? :nod: At least I think I've really narrowed down my biggest reason for failure. With your, hopefully others' + God's help, I anticipate being able to move forward and over-come this nemesis! :)

Thank you for your time and wisdom!
Health 1st

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:37 pm

Hi HealthFirst!!

Mark (as always!!!) provides ridiculously great advice.

Wanted to ask you -- it seems like you are more than burning the candle at both ends... Living on fumes... Sleep is important!! I have been (maybe in some similar way) where you are with running on fumes --- and wonder if you are able to do anything to help this situation???

*** If it is work, they don't expect you to work 20 hours / day. You may be able to factually discuss impact of XXX on you (personally) and ask for help to alleviate it (maybe come with some ideas, like more people or different due dates).

*** If it is personal, you may be able to find other resources to help step up. I experienced big time sleeping on fumes when my mom was dying. (only child)... I found some hospice resources that helped (not perfect, but 1000X appreciated).

Easier to look back - for sure... I even have thought "what to do differently"...

Also, I think that Mark has talked about eating the recommended foods (because you have to eat anyway, right?)... Are you checking out Jeff's SNAP meals?? Could probably make them in 20 minutes and put in fridge.

Wishing you the best.

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Health 1st » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:30 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi HealthFirst!!

Wanted to ask you -- it seems like you are more than burning the candle at both ends... Living on fumes... Sleep is important!! I have been (maybe in some similar way) where you are with running on fumes --- and wonder if you are able to do anything to help this situation???

*** If it is work, they don't expect you to work 20 hours / day. You may be able to factually discuss impact of XXX on you (personally) and ask for help to alleviate it (maybe come with some ideas, like more people or different due dates).

*** If it is personal, you may be able to find other resources to help step up. I experienced big time sleeping on fumes when my mom was dying. (only child)... I found some hospice resources that helped (not perfect, but 1000X appreciated).

Easier to look back - for sure... I even have thought "what to do differently"...

Also, I think that Mark has talked about eating the recommended foods (because you have to eat anyway, right?)... Are you checking out Jeff's SNAP meals?? Could probably make them in 20 minutes and put in fridge.

Wishing you the best.

Best,
Stephanie

Stephanie,

Thank you so much for reaching out with your thoughtful post; I really appreciate it! :) I apologize for my delay in replying, though I have a strong hunch that you understand. :lol:

I'm so sorry about the loss of your mother (however long ago it may have been) and your also experiencing running on fumes. :-(

Yes, it's a combination of work + personal for me. And then if anything slightly extra is added (like helping out my closest friend + her family, or it taking an hour to clean up split pea soup that I spilled the other night [got everywhere--at least I didn't get burned! :-D ]), then things really get crazy + my sleep goes out the window all the more.

Thankfully, my friend + her family are doing better: 1) great for them!!!, + 2) so much less focus + help is needed there!

Deadlines with work are further down the road--so still busy, but a bit less pressure.
:thumbsup: Personal is good. I mean, I am blessed that things are going so well right now. I am the sole caregiver of my dad. Things for the most part have been stable for him, + that is a huge blessing + brings a greater peace of mind. :nod:

I have to re-visit Jeff's SNAP meals; thank you!

In general, life is getting easier in terms of time constraints. Of course with the Holidays + several things that need to be done by year's end, it'll still be pretty hectic, but I'm trying to figure out how to get back in the MWL groove, more sleep, + this whole idea of being okay with not always being 100% perfect with my eating 100% of the time, + yet not letting it derail me (my question Mark addressed...but other responses are welcome --hint, hint ;-) :D ...yes, whomever may read this).

Thank you again, Stephanie, and may you have a really good Thanksgiving!!

P.S. I hope it never comes across that I am complaining about or elevating my circumstances above any one else's. I've only shared about the horrible lack of sleep as facts, not excuses or to be felt sorry for...horrible English, I know! ;)
Health 1st

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:55 pm

Health 1st wrote:
VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi HealthFirst!!

Wishing you the best.

Best,
Stephanie

Stephanie,

Thank you so much for reaching out with your thoughtful post; I really appreciate it! :) I apologize for my delay in replying, though I have a strong hunch that you understand. :lol:

I'm so sorry about the loss of your mother (however long ago it may have been) and your also experiencing running on fumes. :-(

Yes, it's a combination of work + personal for me. And then if anything slightly extra is added (like helping out my closest friend + her family, or it taking an hour to clean up split pea soup that I spilled the other night [got everywhere--at least I didn't get burned! :-D ]), then things really get crazy + my sleep goes out the window all the more.

Thankfully, my friend + her family are doing better: 1) great for them!!!, + 2) so much less focus + help is needed there!

Deadlines with work are further down the road--so still busy, but a bit less pressure.
:thumbsup: Personal is good. I mean, I am blessed that things are going so well right now. I am the sole caregiver of my dad. Things for the most part have been stable for him, + that is a huge blessing + brings a greater peace of mind. :nod:

I have to re-visit Jeff's SNAP meals; thank you!

In general, life is getting easier in terms of time constraints. Of course with the Holidays + several things that need to be done by year's end, it'll still be pretty hectic, but I'm trying to figure out how to get back in the MWL groove, more sleep, + this whole idea of being okay with not always being 100% perfect with my eating 100% of the time, + yet not letting it derail me (my question Mark addressed...but other responses are welcome --hint, hint ;-) :D ...yes, whomever may read this).

Thank you again, Stephanie, and may you have a really good Thanksgiving!!

P.S. I hope it never comes across that I am complaining about or elevating my circumstances above any one else's. I've only shared about the horrible lack of sleep as facts, not excuses or to be felt sorry for...horrible English, I know! ;)

Hey Health First!!! :)

Of course, I was not upset that you didn't respond right away to my post... I was more worried that maybe I crossed a line in how I responded to you (and I would hope to be helpful and not offend other members!!)... :) In all honesty, I know that I don't make good decisions in sleep deprived mode... So, always thinking about putting your own oxygen mask on first ... :)

I am glad that your friend is doing better. :-D You sound like a true friend!! Something to be very proud of (and with your caretaking of dad!!).

I am going to try to just answer your question (in my opinion -- as a fellow member who is just trying and is quite imperfect!! )...

When you eat off MWL:
1) Forgive yourself -- this isn't a purity contest (don't make yourself feel bad -- our environment would lead us astray...)
2) Make the next bite compliant (or meal or day -- soonest is best...)

Other - Is this going to get you into Pleasure Trap (CAUTION):
1) Try to avoid eating food that will trigger for you (your own triggers - because this is trickier than making next bite compliant) ... For me, I can't ever have most nuts / pretzels (that is just starting a bad habit and it is hard to get over it -- I think I went a month and a half with this)
2) If not a trigger of Pleasure Trap, just move on. (For me, I had best I could - I think - as a restauarant meal this summer. Had salad with walnuts, dried cranberry, avocado, plus a white / enriched pita.... Never thought of them again - not problem foods for me)...

Simple things to eat:
Maybe to make this super do-able, maybe consider starch, veggie, fruit for each meal and keep it simple. For instance, here is what I would consider if running on fumes (my tastes, adjust as you will...):
B: Grape tomatoes or baby carrots, Oatmeal with banana / frozen blueberries - 2 min meal
L: Dr. McD Rightfood cup - Spilt Pea soup (half packet) over microwaved potato
Apple
Broccoli (buy florets in bag) - also 2 min meal...
D: Rice (shelf-stable microwaved) with beans (No / low sodium can)
NSA Salsa
Bell Pepper -- another 2 min. meal...
Snacks: Any fruit/ veg (can find prepared / chopped, if time is of essence), microwaved potato

I totally think that you can do this, Health First!!! So, will be cheering for you on the sidelines!!

Happy Thanksgiving!! Take care!!

Stephanie

P.S. You come across (perception in the eye of the beholder) as a very sincere, thoughtful, earnest person that is trying to embrace this WOE to improve health. Your factual words resonate with me and I do not see anything whiny at all. Keep going!! :-D

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm

Hi Health First,

Sorry, I thought of one other thing that I wanted to add (to previous post)...

Dr. McD himself says, " This is not an all or nothing health plan. The more you do, the more you gain!" --- The McDougall Plan, 1983.

Also, I can't find readily citation to share, but in his works -- he references study done on folks who added starch (bread) to their meals without changing other food and having good results from crowding out other stuff.

Again, so confident that you have this!!! Eat your starch!!!

Best,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Health 1st » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:26 am

Hello Stephanie,

Thank you for not only replying, but so promptly, + with such great ideas (+ encouragement, understanding, kindness, etc.)!! Soooo very much appreciated!! :nod:

Just wanted to quickly reply for now. By the way, you never crossed any line. I just didn't see your reply right away because I took screenshots of Mark's post + read them Saturday night. By doing that, I didn't come on here to read his post, + that's why I didn't see yours.

Okay, going to bed....thank you!!!! (It may take a couple days for me to get back.)
Health 1st

Postby Chatonne93 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:36 am

Hello ! My name is Irina. I have completed my orientation, and would like to join the Group ! Thank you :)
Chatonne93

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:22 am

Chatonne93 wrote:Hello ! My name is Irina. I have completed my orientation, and would like to join the Group ! Thank you :)

You are most welcome!
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:47 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:
Weight 11/26. -1.1

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.y
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.y
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.y
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).y
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).y
6. Eliminate any added oil.y
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.y
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).y
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.y
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).y

Victories, comments, concerns, questions.

.Focused on making MWL recipes for Thanksgiving this week.it was just my husband and our 3 greyhounds. I did make a Turkey breast thinking my husband would eat it. He tells me he doesn’t like Turkey, my greyhounds enjoyed it!
My husband continues to enjoy meals I make, but still hasn’t totally changed his eating habits.

Made a great pumpkin soup
Tried MWL cheese sauce over vegetables
made fresh cranberry salad
Of course, potatoes
I stayed true to my new way of eating, that’s a victory!

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving

.first weigh in start date 11/7 215.3
Total lost - 8.9
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:04 am

145.6 Weight change +/- in lbs: +1.6 pounds
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: We’ll this week was not a success, but the victory is that I’m ready to get right back on track and hopefully that’s what I’ll be reporting I did next week. All the no’s were from one time eating out with my husband last weekend and vegan pie last night. I did good in dinner, but dessert got me. I felt stuffed the rest of the night though which was a good reminder that I could do without next time.
Rebecka22

Postby Hope410 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:48 am

Hello Everyone
Happy Thanksgiving

Weight change: -1.6 lbs.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO. Did increase exercise to four days this week. Will work to make it a habit first thing in the day.

Thank goodness Thanksgiving is over, but now the Christmas season with all the temptations is here. My plan is to focus on Jeff's snap meals with some healthy sauces and repeat consistently, as Jeffsays in order to make this a lifelong habit. Thanks Jeff!
Hope410

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program