Encouragement

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Encouragement

Postby jmgoforth » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:19 am

I know I have to do this day in and day out by myself. But I also know when I don't regulary come on line I start thinking crazy thoughts.I find the encouagement so necesary.
Just knowing others are having good days and bad days.
It is no longer that it would be nice if I lost the weight but it is a matter of life and death. I must loose 100+ pounds.
I'm 60 and now determines the quality of life I will live with the next 10 years. Chaplain Mike
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:34 am

I love that line. What we eat and do right now certainly does determine the next 10 years. We have to stay healthy and vigorous to do the work we need to do for ourselves and others!

This board is helping me stay on track, too. :-D
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Sunny » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:09 am

I know I come here everyday for support and encouragement, it keeps me going. Everyone here has always been wonderful, I am glad that you can keep those crazy thoughts at bay by coming here. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby hope101 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:02 am

On the one hand I am sorry that it sounds like something urgent that sent you here. On the other hand, I am glad you are going to look after yourself. Welcome! This is a wonderful, encouraging place.
hope101

Postby slugmom » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:12 am

if only we could all somehow live in that realization! You're so right! For all of us, younger and older, how we live and eat is going to determine our quality of life; too often I know I settle for less than I could, trading short term cravings for long term health :?

But it's never too late to make changes! You can do it!

kim
- Kim

slugmom

Postby Doris » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:45 am

Chaplain Mike, I understand !!! This message board is so helpful and necessary to me. It supports, inspires, and motivates me. By the way, when I started McDougalling in March, 2005, I needed to lose 120 lb. Now I have only 46 lb. to go. The one thing that kept me going at first was reading this message board for inspiration and re reading Dr. McDougall's books that I had. Now I have some of the DVD's. They help me stay on track.

By the way, I am now 60 and my health is so much better. I don't receive bad reports from my doctor anymore. I plan to be around to play with my grandboys a long time.

So, Chaplain Mike, I hope to read your posts often. I wish you a wonderful McDougall Journey! :)
Doris

Encouragement

Postby SC Man » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:35 am

Chaplain Mike-

I too am in the same boat. Early 60's and 100+ lbs. to loose. It is so easy to get discouraged. Perhaps we can encourage each other. I am the only person in my home with this problem. Good luck- Jimmy
SC Man

Re: Encouragement

Postby Clary » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:46 am

jmgoforth wrote: I'm 60 and now determines the quality of life I will live with the next 10 years. Chaplain Mike

When I read these wise words of yours, I thought of something my friend, Dr. Leslie Van Romer, once sent to me :

"We are all now old enough to know just how quickly life can and does change.... So why not choose our changes when we can instead of waiting for change to happen to us?... Eating correctly does not take your time, it gives you time—when it counts, at the end of your life. "
--
"Keep coming back!", Chaplain Mike.
Clary

Postby noodle » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:58 am

jmgoforth,

I'm glad that you posted. It helps when we all are honest with our struggles, share the good, the bad, and the ugly. Just keep going one day at a time.

I too have been very blessed to be a part of this McDougall community. We may all have very diverse backgrounds and beliefs, but the goal to be healthy unites us.

All the comments you have received, I ditto.

God Bless,

Noodle
noodle

WOW You all are so great!

Postby jmgoforth » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:09 pm

In my small town most believe that a vegitarian is a man from an Eastern Religion.But heart disease has been all through my family. I was first born with a terrible disease. My young mother thought a fat baby was a well baby. Boy, did she make me well.

My dad was a drinker. So he took me to the bars because no one could believe how much I could eat at such a young age. So I was my dad's ticket to free drinks. Once I ate 7 pork chops in one setting.

This compulsive eating never really showed during HS because I was so active. Then I went to college and I had to make up for lost stuying in HS.Being the class clown was so funny now. My English teacher was studying at the Unversity of Tennesse and she got a book that started me in 1st grade English and took me up to 12 grade Englisn.

But I had to study and never went for one sport or got much exercise. As a result I really put on the weight. :oops:

When I was active I lost weight and when I was inactive I gained. Three years ago I was hurt in a bike accident. My back is in alot of pain. As a result I have some numbness in my legs. At firsrt I couldn't exercise at all. You quessed it. I gained the 100 I had lost. Once I was the town hero now I was the town fool. :lol:

I have tried every thing. I do my best McDougalling but I get impatient and I will try one of those dumb diets. I'm doing well on the Mini Mary. I'm trying not to get impatient. I haven't eaten in the past several nights and think I should have lost 25 lbs. I'm not only impatient but not to realistic.

All my friends are on high protein diets and they do loose a lot. :eek:
But I notice they do gain it back.

I have a high strees job- I make death notifications for our department. I have 6 on the road chaplains and two jail chaplains I try to direct plus I pastor a church.

I tell myself I must remain a McDougaller the rest of my life or I will gain it back. I have lost weight with McDougal and then I get impatient and try a protein diet (all of this one food item) and soon I have it back with some extra.

When I went to Katrina I learned a new expression-"HUNKERING DOWN."
You ride the storm out no matter what. Well I'm "HUNKERING DOWN" with you all. No matter how big the waves, No matter what the next storm leaves behind, I going to patiently ride out the events.
Hang on here comes another wave.

Chaplain Mike :-P

Chaplain Mike
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

You're on the road

Postby Malva » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:43 pm

Nothing of value is easily attained.
The greatest gift we have ever received was born in poverty and suffered on Golgotha so that we will one day join the great banquet with the King of Kings.

When I am tempted to stuff myself with things I know serve no other purpose than to feed my appetite (rather than my real hunger), I remind myself that something better is coming. So why settle for a second-rate satisfaction? I'm wating for the Real Food that will truly satisfy, that will truly feed me. And eating a whole, healthy diet is honoring that future hope. Thinking long-term also means thinking Christ-ward.
There's so much more for us in the future. Why should we pity ourselves during this time that will soon be only a memory?

Loss and bereavement are a necessary part of life (we will all eventually die), but killing yourself with a fork and knife is foolishness; an action of the immature. The child thinks only of this moment; he is unable to think two weeks, two years or ten years from now. The mature have learned that as there is a past that he's experienced there is also a future he is sure of.

Let us forgive all that has happened to us in the past, and look forward to the joy of our future.

Blessings to you.
Last edited by Malva on Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby noodle » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:13 pm

Wonderful post Malva.
noodle

I chose not to be discouraged.

Postby jmgoforth » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:32 am

David was having one of his worst days. His house was burned. His family taken captive and his men wanted to stone him to death. Then David and soldiers cried until there were no more tears. David was torn up but he encouraged himself in the Lord.
1 Samuel 30:6 :)
jmgoforth

Re: WOW You all are so great!

Postby LJ » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:29 am

jmgoforth wrote:

When I went to Katrina I learned a new expression-"HUNKERING DOWN."
You ride the storm out no matter what. Well I'm "HUNKERING DOWN" with you all. No matter how big the waves, No matter what the next storm leaves behind, I going to patiently ride out the events.
Hang on here comes another wave.

Chaplain Mike :-P

Chaplain Mike

WOW!! THose words just really struck a nerve with me. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes....literally. It is SO true, we just have to 'hunker down'. I have been struggling to get on track ever since Thanksgiving and those words were exactly what i needed to hear. THank You. The funny part with me is this...I really LOVE McDougall food. I love eating vegan, but I always seem to cave in to something at least every other day. I'll do great for 3-4 days, I'll cheat and then it seems like I'm off the wagon for 5 days. Its horrible. I guess I'm just letting a wave sweep me away. I'm with you Chaplain Mike, I'm hunkering down. I don't know what I'd do without this message board, I probably would've been swept away along time ago!! Love everyone here so much!!

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Thanks Everyone

Postby jmgoforth » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:12 am

I got my ticker tape. Thanks everyone. I was pasting in the wrong area.

I don't know about you by the week-ends are my most difficult time.

Everyone wants to eat out. The more selection, the more difficult to think sane.

I started listening things to do when watching TV and I get the crazies.

Go on line to McDougall
Read
Write
Exercise
Pray

These are 5 things I love to do. I must learn to love to do these more than I want to eat. I know we are taught here you can eat all of the veggies you want. But I'm a compulsive eater. Infact, I don't want to live with my face in the refredge.

I'm not going to sabatoge myself this time. I loose 10-15 lbs and go back to my old ways. I choose durning the holidays to stay on course. I have hunkered down and I will ride out the storms.

On my way to church. Have a peaceful Sunday.
jmgoforth

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program