After 30 days

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

After 30 days

Postby KMD » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:13 am

I have had Systemic Lupus for 20 years with a side of Fibromyalgia for 10. My Lupus is considered "mild" as I am one of the lucky ones and haven't had any major organ involvement.

I take Plaquenil, Naprosyn and/or Aleve to keep things under control and have occasionally been prescribed steroids. Pain is a daily fact, just a matter of how much and where.

A month ago I was in pain every time I took a breath. I've had this problem during flares before, but this was one of the worst episodes I've had.

I was having trouble sleeping due to the pain. I had to prop myself up in bed in order to be at all comfortable. I couldn't exert myself in any way because I couldn't take a deep breath. I was taking handfuls (4-10 Aleve) daily to keep myself functional.

I had been to my doctor and he suggested steroids and pain relievers. I didn't want to go down that road again, so we agreed to increase the Plaquenil. I didn't get much relief. Then I remembered Dr. McDougall and his "extreme" diet.

I've been following MWL faithfully for the last 30 days.

My pain has decreased 80%.
I haven't taken ANY Aleve in 3 weeks.
Swelling is gone in my legs, hands and face.
I've lost 15 lbs.
My skin is smoother and softer.
I can lie down to sleep.
I can BREATHE.

Thank you Dr. McDougall,

Kathryn
KMD

Re: After 30 days

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:01 am

thank you Kathryn. I think many need to see what just 30 days can do. I hope you do stick around to help motivate others that find it hard to continue.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Sulamith » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Great story! Congratulations! You must be so relieved.

Isn't it amazing how quickly we can start turning our health around once we make the commitment?

Here's to the next thirty days!
Sulamith

Postby Love the Lorax » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:36 pm

Thank you - seriously - for sharing that. While we know how well this diet works for high BP, weight, etc. it is always good to get reminders that other parts of our body benefit from good nutrition as well.
Love the Lorax

Postby Vegankit » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 pm

It's so inspirational to read how successful you have been in just 30 days. What I have found amazing is that after 10 months I'm still seeing positive changes - just imagine how much better you are going to feel after you've been following this diet for a few months. I hope you post again as you improve your health.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby KMD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:21 am

Thank you all for your encouragement and for your posts elsewhere on the board. I can't tell you how much reading others' experiences has helped.

I'll be sure to check in with updates as I go along. Have a great weekend. :)
KMD

Postby Mommylut » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:25 am

Kathryn:

As I long time fibromyalgia sufferer, I feel (and have felt) your pain. I need to remember how positive an effect this program has had on my health. Do you find yourself doing better on MWL rather than on the regular plan? I only ask this because I always see a difference when I cut out the process foods but didn't know whether I was imagining it or not.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.
Marion
Mommylut

Postby KMD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks Marion. Sorry to hear about your fybromyalgia. It's definitely no fun. :(

I have only been doing the MWL plan so I don't know how much different the regular plan would be for me.

The reason I chose the MWL plan is because when I read other's experiences, the MWL plan seemed to provide a quicker return to health. I'd bet you aren't imagining your experience.

One benefit for me of the MWL plan is that it's easy. For example, I don't have to look at a potato's ingredient list to determine if it has hidden dairy, or oil in it like I would have to do with processed foods.

Have you found any particular foods that trigger your fybromyalgia more than others? Besides animal stuff of course :)
KMD

Postby Mommylut » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:42 am

Well, I am postive that it gets worse when I eat wheat or products with yeast. I also find citris cruit bothers it. There was a star mcdougllar (I can't remember who) who wrote that she went to Dr. M's program in California. After a few days, she woke up and knew something was different but couldn't figure out what. Then she realized she wasn't in any pain! That's sort of how I feel now.
Mommylut

Postby KMD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:24 am

Marion,

That's good to know. I'm looking forward to that!

Kathryn
KMD

Postby Sulamith » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:45 pm

There was a star mcdougllar (I can't remember who) who wrote that she went to Dr. M's program in California. After a few days, she woke up and knew something was different but couldn't figure out what. Then she realized she wasn't in any pain!

That's Cheryl Lambert. Here's the link:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/star13 ... mbert.html
Sulamith

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories