Weight Gain

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Weight Gain

Postby veggiemac » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:38 pm

New kid on the block here (I'm only 68). Many of the stories I've seen are from people wanting to lose weight. I don't. I'm slightly under weight and a bit concerned that I might lose more on this program. Anyone here in that situation? Is it just a matter of eating more?
veggiemac

Re: Weight Gain

Postby sirdle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:45 pm

veggiemac wrote:New kid on the block here (I'm only 68). Many of the stories I've seen are from people wanting to lose weight. I don't. I'm slightly under weight and a bit concerned that I might lose more on this program. Anyone here in that situation? Is it just a matter of eating more?

Welcome veggiemac!

The key is to eat more calories... while at the same time making sure those calories are nutritious, low in added fat, and low in added sugar.

You may find Jeff Novick's threads on calorie density useful.

Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less & Live Longer!
The Ultimate Guide To Free Calorie Density Resources

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby veggiemac » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Thank you sirdle. I'll check out it out.
veggiemac

Postby MINNIE » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:56 pm

'm slightly under weight and a bit concerned that I might lose more on this program. Anyone here in that situation? Is it just a matter of eating more?

veggiemac,

I can relate to this, and I don't think you need to worry.

I started eating this way four years ago (at age 66) , and I was slightly underweight. I had been very unhealthy for a while, and unable to eat enough calories to stabilize my weight. The McDougall plan looked like the best thing for my health, but I was a little worried that if I stopped using oil I would really start wasting away.

It turned out it was fine, I didn't lose more weight. I even gained some muscle mass because I had more energy for exercise.

Also, I loved the food.

So give it a try and see what happens.

Best wishes:).
MINNIE

Postby Dougalling » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:51 am

Hi

As long as you get your required amount of calories you will have no problem.
1/4 avocado , a handful of walnuts, a smoothie snack, daily will help increase your calories/food density if you need to.
Dougalling

Postby calvin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:13 pm

calvin

Return to How to Begin