Ladies Schwinn "PINK Roxie" Cruiser BIKE...

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ladies Schwinn "PINK Roxie" Cruiser BIKE...

Postby Clary » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:11 pm

Anyone here have any experience with or reliable information about this bike? (There is a "See larger image" link at the page.) I saw a photo of this retro cruiser in a "Target" Christmas catalog at my daughter's yesterday and fell in love with it--wide seat, fenders, high wide handlebars, and very PINK!. I read the buyer's reviews at the Target Website and they were mixed :confused: .

Thanks for any input.

http://www.amazon.com/Ladies%2592-Schwi ... 686&sr=8-6
Clary

Just my opinion

Postby AnnaS » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:30 pm

There are a number of new "vintage style" models available now that are comfortable and easy to ride. (I don't know about their prices, haven't looked at any with an eye toward buying.) If I were thinking about buying a bike, I'd have 3 criteria:

1. I'd want to be able to try it out first to see if I like it. (Actually take it outside and ride it around.)

2. I'd want to buy it from someone who can help me adjust it correctly. (Usually the reason for discomfort, sore knees, etc. is that the bike isn't adjusted correctly for you, but it takes some skill to know how to do this.)

3. I'd want a pretty good quality one, even if it's just to ride around occasionally. That can affect the comfort and safety, as well as your enjoyment--and the more you like it the more often you will want to ride! And you want it to last.

Those reviews do raise some questions in my mind... so again if it was me I think I'd rather go to a bike store, or a sports store that has a good bike department, and talk to their expert there, as well as actually try out the bikes. If you don't want to spend a lot, maybe they will also deal in used bikes.

On the other hand, if your Target store will let you try one of these out and you really like the feel of that bike, then go with your instinct. Bikes are very individual thngs, like clothing!

Whatever you do, do get a bike! You will have so much fun.
AnnaS

Postby serenity » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Very cool! Pink nostalgia.

I think the reviews were quite positive for the price point. And the few downs they mentioned didn't seem to deal-breakers. I'm assuming you are just planning to tool around the neighborhood - no Tour de France? :-P

Seriously, I agree with the suggestion that you see if you can see one at a Target store. Then comparison shop at a bike store.
serenity

A comfortable bike

Postby Goosetracks » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:22 pm

I got a new bike about three years ago. I looked and looked, but comfort was the biggest issue. This isn't a fit body and it doesn't bend over like those racer folks can and do. HA! Not!

So... I ended up with a "Hybrid". (the hot word these days) It's a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike. It's made for sitting up riding rather then bending over riding. The handlebars are up, seat is PADDED! LOL! and is EASY and very enjoyable to ride. I think the silly thing has 21 speeds. The most important being the "granny gear" as we call it. LOL! Good for hills. I haven't had to get off and walk a hill yet. While this isn't Seattle or SF for the hills, we have our share of booger hills.

We paid about $300 for it. Bought it at a bike shop. Worth every cent! It's a great way to get exercise. Having all those gears is, IMO, a must. Otherwise the riding can get too hard and it can be hard on the knees. Grief! I'm hard enough on mine already!

I have a pink wallet and a pink handbag. <GRIN> After years of hating that color more than any other... I find it strangely attractive. My bike is silver but I love it anyway. LOL!

Hugs!
Arline
Goosetracks

Thanks for the help...

Postby Clary » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:03 pm

I am leaving soon for Nashville for a couple days with one of my daughters and her family, and to attend a granddaughter's first viola concert, and will attempt to get to a Target while there and look over and try out the pink bike, if possible. I'll do that as a first step, then also heed the other advice given so far. Thanks so much to you all.

So, are you a bike rider, Anna? I remember once before when I got the "bike bug" receiving great "bike input" on the board, but cannot remember the contributors now. Chile was one, I think. That last Star McDougaller newsletter got me interested in biking again. If he can do it, so can I at 66! (Of course, he has had years and years of training and experience. :-P )

I know, that even tho' I no longer have pain or problems with the hip I was told I had to have totally replaced or I soon wouldn't be able to walk and would always suffer the horrible pain (I didn't have the hip replacement, followed Dr. McDougall's advice , read his references on "halting, healing, and reversing arthritis", and walked for the past 3 yrs. now w/o a limp or a cane, and totally pain free) , that I am still protective of it--consciously and unconsciously-- guarding against falls or being bumped into, etc. --and I wonder about it in connection with bike riding after all these years. The last time I can remember riding a bike was in the mid-80's when we laughed and had fun on our old-fashioned family bicycle-built-for-two!

Thanks Anna, Goosetracks and serenity. I appreciate all you shared and suggested. --and Goosetracks, what is better with pink than "silver"? My favorite! :nod:
Clary

Pink Roxie Out-of-stock

Postby Clary » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:32 am

I was able to visit a Target store while in Nashville attempting to see the bike in "real life", but the Pink Roxie Cruiser was out of stock. I spoke with the person in charge of that dept. and he said it is a "hot seller" and they have more on order.

Since I had to scrape ice off my windows before starting my 80-mile trip home from Nashville, and since the fullness of winter is still ahead of us here, I think I'll put off my "Roxie" shopping, or other bike shopping, until spring. In the meantime, I'll do more general bike researching as I have time. --and I welcome any input or suggestions.
Clary

Pink Roxie bikes

Postby brannach » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:45 am

Clary

I think you should use the time until your summer thinking about what's best in a bike. I've been riding for the last few years (I'm in my 50's) with a group (personal trainer) and I had the chance to try a few different bikes.

I finally decided on a hybrid - it was fairly expensive but you can get cheaper ones. I think you will get the best advice if you go to a bike shop. Just be firm about your price limit. Hybrids have shock absorbers and that makes lotsa difference when you first start out. If you find a shop that builds (rather than buy named brands) you should be able to get one at a reasonable price. And they will service it for you too (yep they need servicing).

I'm really happy with my Azzuri (not sure if you can get these in the US) - and my mountain bike shoes. It's a great workout and lots of fun.
Roseanne
I had a weight problem then I discovered it was a thinking problem. Now I know there's a good food solution.
Fave Quote - "Everyone and everything around you is your teacher." Ken Keyes
brannach

Return to Exercise and Fitness