Does anyone rebound?

Share your favorite approaches to stay active, fit and healthy.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Does anyone rebound?

Postby LJ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:25 am

Like some opinions on rebounding from anyone who does it regularly or from anyone who has tried it in the past. Can't decide if I want one or not. Thanks!

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby KristaO » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:08 am

Interesting that you would post this, as I'm buying a rebounder this week. You can find them (new) at Play It Again Sports for $40. These are good quality with the springs and a nice handle (stablilizing bar).

Yes, I've done it in the past and I really like it. It's good for the Lymphatic System! Here's more info:

http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/re ... health.htm
KristaO

Postby LJ » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:36 am

What a great idea! I can't believe I didn't think of Play It Again Sports. i get so much there for my kids, never thought about getting a rebounder there. Thanks for the tip!! I guess if I don't like it or it starts collecting dust, I can just sell it back to them.

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby Lin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:51 pm

I love rebounding. I have a Needak rebounder and I use it quite often. I rebound more in the Winter than any other time because I don't like the cold!

Here is a really good site to look at that will tell you all about the benefits of rebounding.

http://www.needakrebounders.com/rebound ... ealth.html

One of my favorite exercise routines to do is to put on '70's music and then jump, dance, kick.... you name it.... to the music. :D
My kids (19 & 15) love to laugh at me doing this, if they're around. :shock: Thankfully, most of the time, they're at school!! :lol: They like jumping on it too!

My only advice is to buy a good quality rebounder. The cheap ones are not worth it. I learned that from experience. I bought a cheap one from Dick's Sporting Goods a few years ago and it made my knees and back hurt. After trying it for a few weeks, a spring broke. Then I couldn't find a replacement spring. I went back to the store and they said that the company that made that particular rebounder didn't have replacement springs available. I bought the cheaper rebounder trying to save money and it backfired. I kept saving up and my DH told me to order the one that I wanted and he would pay the remainder as a birthday present.

My Needak doesn't make my knees or back hurt. Of course, if I go a while without using it, I get a little sore when I restart.

A rebounder is a wonderful piece of equipment. Make sure you get one that offers replacement parts, or you're just wasting your money. The springs break on occasion, especially if you use it a lot like I do.
I ordered a box of 6 springs from the Needak website, so that if one breaks, I can easily replace it.
They also recommend that the whole set be replaced every year or 2. I've done that once so far.

Hope this helps.
Lin

Let all that you do be done in love.
(1 Cor. 16: 14)
Lin

Postby LJ » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:21 am

Thanks for the link Lin...I think I've been to their website before. I really want a rebounder, not only for the health reasons, but I think it would be an exercise that I'd really enjoy!!

LJ

Postby Lin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:10 am

I've stayed with rebounding more than with any other exercise I do. I love switching around, but rebounding is #1 with me. I give most of the credit to rebounding + MWL in my being able to lose 60 lbs. in the past 4 yrs.

Rebounding is down right fun!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It makes you feel like a kid!! :lol: :lol: ^^^^^^^^

Also, I have no excuse for not doing it!! :eek: I can't blame rainy weather or say it's too cold like I can do for jogging and other outdoor activities... :shock:
My rebounder has saved me many a day from not exercising. There's no excuse except laziness and I don't like to admit that!! :o

You can rebound while watching movies or TV or to music. I'm a very musically oriented person and so I prefer music because I like to jump and dance to the beat of it.

I hope that you can find a good one and will enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. :-
Lin

Lin

Rebounding

Postby Stan » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:04 pm

I've been rebouding for many years.
Many experts say it is the best exercise you can do.
It does not stress your joints like running etc.
Just five minutes is equivalent to running a mile.
There are as many variations as you can think of to do.
Some days I use light handweights while rebounding, which kills two birds with one stone in my opinion, weight training and cardio.
Stan

mom wants a rebounder, should she have a DVD?

Postby Anne » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:45 am

Hello, rebounders!
I am completely ignorant about rebounding, but was delighted to find this thread because mom wants a rebounder and I plan to get her one for Christmas. Since she's never rebounded either, is there a simple DVD that I can give her to teach her the workouts? Preferably one for beginners in poor shape?

She has some foot issues that make her reluctant to walk much. She thought rebounding sounded like it would work for someone with bad feet. Does that sound right? I would just love to encourage her in this since she seldom shows interest in exercise! (she does occasionally do water aerobics)
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Postby Lin » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:09 pm

Anne,
I think rebounding would be great for your mom. Look at the link above in the 1st post I made on this thread. You can get her a rebounder with a stabilizer bar, which will help keep her from falling. I don't use or have a stabilizer bar, but I've heard lots of people say that they work well.
A soft bounce rebounder like I have (a Needak), would be a lot easier on your mom's feet, than lots of walking on hard surfaces would be.
I used to have osteoarthritis in my feet and rebounding was the only thing that I could do when I first started McDougalling 4 years ago. I now have no arthritis symptoms, thanks to McDougalling.

When I ordered my rebounder, it came with a VHS tape called The Immune System by Albert Carter. It was very informative. I also got a book by Linda Brooks called Rebounding To Better Health, which is a guide to rebounding. At the end of the video there were 3 other videos recommended. They are Bounce Before You Jump, & Rebounding to Better Health by Linda Brooks and Urban Rebounding. The Bounce Before You Jump video is for 1st time rebounders.
I never bought these videos, so I don't know how good they are.

After reading the rebounding book that came with my Needak, I made myself several playlists of my favorite songs, which happen to be mostly '70's music. When I rebound, I just put on my favorite tunes and I use all of the moves that I learned from the book and I have lots of fun exercising. You can also rebound while watching TV if that's what you like. I find rebounding to the beat of music more enjoyable.

Hope this helps.
Lin

Lin

Postby libellule » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Hello,
I tried out this one rebounder that was really cool. It had "shocks" with the leg area, so that not only did you bounce on the rebounder, but the shocks made it less taut and more comfie on the joints. I am nannying a little boy and girl, and their mother has one. Tomorrow when I go to their house, I will get the name of the brand. This one was a square/rectangular one. I would love one myself so I can do at home when I get too cold to go outside.
--Li
PS I will post tomorrow night. I am watching them for their parents tomorrow from 3-5 PM PST.
libellule

Postby victw » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:53 pm

Kris,

I just noticed your signature. Congrats on the weight loss.

And congrats on focusing on the whole you. Finding an exercise you are comfortable with is worth the effort.

I was just at my brothers - he had a rebounder - I could kick myself for not using it. We talked about it - but I didn't try it. And the weather will probably be crappy for the next month - I'm really wanting to diversify me routine.

Congrats again.
Vic
victw

Postby libellule » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Oh, the name of the rebounder was "lympho line."
I would love for those who own the Nedak to give us a nice comparision!! Any suggestions!
--Li

http://healthessentials4you.com/lympholine.html
libellule

Postby Jackie J » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:14 am

Thanks to those who recommended the needak -- i just did my first 20 minutes on mine and i feel great - no joint pain!!!!!
Jackie J

Go Jackie!!

Postby Lin » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:17 am

Good for you Jackie!!
Rebounders are really fun. I never experience joint pain on my Needak either.
What's so good about rebounding is that you use muscles that you don't realize that you're using, especially the muscles in the ab region. Just maintaining your balance while jumping engages many muscles.

I also use free weights during part of my rebounding (usually about 10 min. at most).

To me,.... rebounding is one of the best exercises to do in Winter when it's too cold to go outside. I have no excuse anytime, not to exercise, such as it's too hot or too cold or it's raining or snowing or whatever!!! :eek:

It's also great for people who don't have much time. You can still get good benefits from several shorter sessions. After all, some exercise is better than none.

People who are new at rebounding just need to remember to start gently and gradually build up intensity and duration to keep from having really sore muscles. It's great to have an exercise that is both cardio and strength training in one!

Happy bouncing!!!
:lol: :lol:
Lin

Lin

Postby Jackie J » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:45 pm

Thanks for the encouragment, Lin. I did overdo it the first day so I've been doing 5-10 minutes at a stretch. what a great form of exercise. i get high everytime i jump on the rebounder.
Jackie J

Next

Return to Exercise and Fitness