Neonatal jaundice

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Neonatal jaundice

Postby RMB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:21 pm

What causes jaundice in newborns and what can be done to prevent it? I am in my third trimester of pregnancy, and if possible, I'd like to avoid the NICU stay that my husband and his two siblings all required.
RMB

Re: Neonatal jaundice

Postby nonstoppete » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 am

Our oldest child had jaundice. In the NICU he was under a sunlamp. The best way to avoid it is to get them into the sunlight. We laid our others in the warm sunlight as much as possible as soon after they came home as we could.
nonstoppete

Postby marquesaa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Neonatal jaundice is usually caused by the liver being immature and needing to break down a large number of red blood cells after the baby is born. Before being born we require more red blood cells due to the decreased oxygen in utero and they have to be eliminated once the baby is here in a higher oxygen environment. Now, if the liver is unable to process and eliminate these cells through the bowel (poop) or kidneys (pee) then the baby becomes jaundiced. Make sure your baby eats well the first few days and gets a little sun from the window. Usually though it only requires a few days under a special light to get the levels lowered to within safe parameters. Some hospitals will do a bili-bed or a bili-blanket if the levels are not too high. I hope all goes well for you and your newborn.
marquesaa

Postby raimel80 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:00 pm

some physiologic jaundice is quite normal and you just need to continue breastfeeding and sun exposure will help as well. This would most likely occur between days 3-5. If your baby appears jaundiced in the first 24 hours this is a different issue and can be serious and the ped or midwife should be called. Jaundice occurs more often at higher elevations (more RBC's to oxygenate that need to be broken down). Some areas also offer bili light services and a nurse will come to your house with them. Good luck!!

Melissa (student midwife)
"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward"

raimel80

Return to Family and Children