WARNING for young mothers, get enough EFA'S

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

WARNING for young mothers, get enough EFA'S

Postby Rychei » Fri May 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Please see my post here

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36514
Rychei

Re: WARNING for young mothers, get enough EFA'S

Postby jamietwo » Sat May 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Sorry to hear you've had a rough time.

My young teen has eaten a McDougall diet his whole life. He's never had a doughnut (not on plan). I can't imagine a more healthy diet to feed him!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Rychei » Mon May 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Jaimetwo

I think when a team fails both fail. In this case I think it is the spirit of the diet plan in regards to fat... or rather the map or game plan that has failed. I still think it is a great plan for a lot of people, but for pregnant or nursing mothers especially I think there needs to more statements about not only avoiding fat altogether, but also which fats to avoid and which one to get, and to enough of them too. I am impressed your child has never had a doughnut. My kid's dad like to reward them with treats for good grades on report cards or when a major goal is reached.... I got sick of ice cream being the reward since I HATE dairy (and Monsanto) so they switched to doughnuts. I the summer treats amp up to about once every three weeks, while during the school years it is about every term.
Here are what I consider some very important link on DHA and ARA
http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/fats.html
http://www.007b.com/breastfeeding_intelligence_diet.php
http://www.ia.ucsb.edu/pa/display.aspx?pkey=2740

I didn't include some of the direct studies but I have them... the articles have some listed as well. I think EVERY mother to be or mothe of a young brain developing child should know this. That is partly why I responded to McDougalls EFA article.
Rychei

Postby oregonmom » Mon May 06, 2013 7:48 pm

From what you've posted before it doesn't really seem like you've researched or even read any of the books about eating a low fat plant based diet. Dr. McDougall even has special sections for kids, the elderly, specific medical conditions, etc. The information is there is you want it. I feel bad that your idea of this way of eating didn't work for you, but it doesn't even sound like you have the facts about what it is to eat this way. And for the record, my child switched to this way of eating by his own decision after trying my food and loving how much better it tasted and he's thriving.
oregonmom

Postby veggylvr » Mon May 06, 2013 8:08 pm

I agree. Now, it seems like you're just trying to bash this way of eating when, as many others have pointed out to you in another thread, you didn't really understand it and weren't following it correctly.

It's quite likely that your kids were getting plenty of fat, especially if they're eating out and being treated to donuts and other junk food. These are high fat foods.

Dr. McDougall does encourage flax seed and children eating nut butters, whole grain bread, and other high fat food. I think you need to read more of Dr. McDougall's books and get a better understanding of the guidelines, which are quite flexible. It's unfortunate that you got the wrong message, but it doesn't sound like you were following this way of eating strictly anyway.
veggylvr

Postby Debbie » Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Rychei wrote:
but for pregnant or nursing mothers especially I think there needs to more statements about not only avoiding fat altogether, but also which fats to avoid and which one to get, and to enough of them too. .

I nursed all 3 of my kids while McDougalling. I also was pregnant with my 3rd baby WHILE nursing full time my second, until the week my 3rd was born and she weaned herself. There is more than plenty of fat in whole plant foods.

The only time I had issue eating this way while nursing was in the very very beginning. I had 1 book, the 12 day. I lost 15lbs in less than 4 weeks and my supply plummeted. I DID NOT UNDERSTAND THE PLAN AND DID NOT EAT NEAR ENOUGH!! Once I found my self pregnant, I received the womens book and had no issue with that pregnancy or the nursling. She nursed till 21 months and my 3rd nursed till she was 2.5 yrs old.

Just really felt need to clarify if being pregnant and nursing while eating this way is healthy. It is!
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Return to Family and Children