Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Postby sksamboots » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:26 pm

I wanna see this recipe! Sounds yummy :nod:
sksamboots

Postby Nean » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:31 am

Oh that does sound yummy!
Glad to hear you continue to do so well.
"I am very much in control of how I feel as long as I control what I put in my mouth!" Blue
Nean

Postby fulenn » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:14 pm

sksamboots wrote:I wanna see this recipe! Sounds yummy :nod:

I mostly just threw stuff into the pot...here is a best guess.

2lbs colorful heirloom cherry/grape tomatoes
1/3 cup red wine (I like Beaujolais)
1/2 large white or yellow onion, diced
1 rounded T chopped garlic
1 t dry basil
1/8 t smoked paprika
salt & pepper to taste

Cook it down slowly until the tomatoes lose their shape. Taste and correct the seasoning. Eat over pasta!
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby fulenn » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:56 am

I have been eating Rips Big Bowl, the berry one, for breakfast this week. Nice change! My spouse prepared a huge bowl of mangoes for me yesterday, so I had more with my cereal this morning and am taking the last of the mangoes to work for lunch.

Have a good day!
Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:30 pm

I made Paella from Happy Herbivore Abroad this week. It was so good! I have been eating the leftovers for lunch the past couple of days. Now I just need to get some saffron to use next time I make it. I really like the HH cookbooks.

FuFu

fulenn

Postby sksamboots » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:43 pm

I will have to look up the Paella!
sksamboots

Postby RAS22 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:22 am

Wishing you a wonderful birthday! Thanks for all your posts they have really helped me. Enjoy your day. RAS
RAS22

Postby nicoles » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:48 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FULENN!!!
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby sksamboots » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:04 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby fulenn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:03 pm

Thank you! I had a great day!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Just dropping by to say hello!

I made tortillas today that were flat and thicker than the ones at the store, maybe 1/4" thick. I topped them with an enchilada sauce that was really tasty. I used dried peppers, 2 Guajillo and 2 Ancho, seeded and soaked in hot water until soft and flexible. Then I put them and some hot water, chopped garlic, oregano, and a pinch of salt into my blender and blended until smooth. It was so good spread on the tortillas! I also diced an onion and dry-fried it in a non-stick pan until it was beginning to show black spots, then topped the tortillas with the onion. These were my version of Sonoran enchiladas. Yummy! No added fats! No added junk!

It has been a hot and dry late summer here, but after three years of being careful to eat this way, I am finding my heat tolerance is wonderful. The overall fatigue is staying at a much reduced rate.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:23 am

The temperature outside in my backyard is 95F. Wow! I am not wanting to cook much in this heat, so I am going to throw some hash browns in a pan and be done with it. Tonight I plan on grilling pizza. I keep a starter on my counter and will use it to make whole wheat crust, then sauce, and veggies: I like spinach, artichoke hearts (not the marinated ones), capers, and tomatoes. I use the capers in lieu of olives since they give me that nice ping of salt without the fat.

I am happily surprised at how well I have done with managing MS symptoms by eating this way. I knew from reading that it would help, but did not realize it would be this dramatic. After the first few weeks a few years ago, I have stayed pretty much the same. There has been an increase in my ability to handle high temperatures, in fact, I am not sure I am much different than my peers here in Central Texas at this point. The fatigue problems have also improved greatly. I still take naps at least once every 8-10 days, but considering that I was sleeping 15+ hours a day three years ago, this is great! I have not lost any more sensory function, but never got all of my feeling back in my left arm and hand. The nerve damage was obviously permanent in that case and this way of eating does not reverse that kind of injury; but it seems to have prevented any more from happening.

I will try to find the time to review my symptoms from June 2012 and give an update on how I am in regards to each one. Or you could go look and see for yourself. :D

Have a great day, everyone!
Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:32 am

I will be heading back to work on Friday for the new school year, so a new menu needs to get in place. This year I am more organized that usual. :D I always cook meals that are simple and fairly quick to prepare when school is in session, so the year will kick off like this:

--Sonora enchiladas--homemade tortillas
--grilled pizza--ww crust
--Dan Dan Mian noodles (from FOK cookbook)
--cauliflower-potato curry with steamed rice
--polenta with marinara sauce
--taco/burrito night

This should make a good rotation for the next couple of weeks, then, as we get tired of something, I will remove it and rotate something else in.

Lunches will be leftovers or cold sweet potatoes most days.

For breakfast people can choose between oatmeal, polenta, hot rice, cold cereal, fresh fruit, and maybe pancakes once every month or so. Oh, I found a recipe in a vegan crockpot cookbook for Tea "Thyme" Lemon Blondies. No oil or dairy--I did cut the sugar quite a bit, from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup, but it turned out great. I am liking cooking in the crockpot, especially with the high temperatures in this part of the country. I am going to make a loaf right now so I have at least a small selection in the refrigerator for the next week.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby sksamboots » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Food looks good!! Keep on keepin on! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby fulenn » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:58 pm

I am running out the door to a potluck with my fruit salad in hand! Watermelon, peaches, and green grapes--such a yummy combination! There probably will not be anything else that I can eat there, so I am bringing a bean burrito for the car.

Have a great weekend, all!

Fulenn

fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals