Shmookitty's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Shmookitty's Journal

Postby Shmookitty » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:38 am

serene, I do still measure certain portions to make sure I am on track with my overall nutrition goals. I am on a medication (Zyprexa) that normally makes people gain large amounts of weight, so I still have to be somewhat careful with what I eat. I measure 1 cup of grains...1/3 cup beans...1/4 cup oatmeal to add to soy yogurt. Things like that. I am down 54 pounds and counting since starting Zyprexa, instead of gaining like most people do. I have schizoaffective, so I need the Zyprexa to function. It's my miracle drug that is getting me off what my psychiatrist previously said was a forever-disability. We are both happily surprised, but it does mean I have to measure my portions of certain foods. I don't mind. (There is a Star McDougaller story about someone with sza that I find very inspiring)! http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/stars/stars-written/teresa-rodriguez/

I do love being able to add as many veggies as I want without counting like I used to, and being able to add a banana to the day without worrying about it. (I am not a big fruit eater, but it's nice to have once in a while). I have been eating a lot more veg than I was when I was tracking every bite I put in my mouth! I don't worry about veg calories anymore, even starchy veggies like corn and peas. It used to be that I would restrict even veggies if I was going to go over 1400 calories for the day. Now I just add to my heart's content, thanks to the calorie density chart. My steamer is getting used again!

I bought some canned yellow squash last week at Food Lion. It was only $1, so I went for it. It was pretty terrible. Once I drained all the liquid, the can was less than half full! And it was very mushy. I put it on top of my grain bowl and nuked it, but I didn't like it. So today I am buying some fresh yellow squash to steam. That should take care of the craving for a little while!

Not related to calories, I am going to be taking a break from sundried tomatoes once I finish the bag I have in the fridge. I have been buying one-pound bags each month from an Amazon seller, but I'm getting tired of them. They don't have oil, but they do have preservatives - fresh tomatoes are healthier!

Today's nutrition -
B - Peanut butter and jelly Larabar - not that great, won't buy those again, luckily I had only bought one
L - Grain bowl - Brown rice/corn/chickpeas/greens/onion/peppers/sundried tomatoes
S - Steamed red potatoes with salsa, half a bag of snap peas
D - Grocery night - Subway veggie delite on wheat
S - Banana
Last edited by Shmookitty on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:39 pm

No worries at all! I agree with you, McDougall says you don't have to measure or count calories, but I am fighting a medication side effect so I do measure certain portions and likely always will. I know I am eating over my previous limit of 1400 calories a day now since I stopped tracking. I'm okay with that, since the increase is all veggies and low calorie density. I am trusting McDougall that I can add these foods and be okay. So far I am still losing steadily. I haven't had problems with being hungry, except for the last two days while I've had my period. I can't wait for menopause! :lol: I ate half a bag of snap peas today. :oops:

I thought I would be entering my food in that tracker for life! By this point though, I pretty much know what my day should look like. It's such freedom! :-D
Shmookitty

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Shmookitty wrote:D - Spicy White Bean Pita from the Quick and Easy McDougall Cookbook (if you haven't made this before, it's wonderful!)

Hi, I came back to MWL WOE in July to lose more weight, actually the belly since that's where my weight gain mostly has gone. Once you get into the hang of it, it works! I am so pleased to be almost 12#s lighter now, inches lost too. Glad you are discovering the power of eating this way. And I journalled a lot at first. It's very helpful to stay focused and motivated.

And thanks for the tip about the spicy white bean pita; I need something new. The quick & easy cookbook is very good. Keeping foods simple is one of my keys for success.

Maybe your husband would commit to one meatless/dairy meal a day? You are lucky he is supportive. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Shmookitty » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:16 am

Hi Marsha, thanks for stopping by my page!

My husband has been mostly doing just that - at least one meatless meal a day. He usually eats a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast, and sometimes has rice or mashed potatoes for dinner. He likes the Idahoan brand of packet mashed potatoes. They are not vegan, but he likes them. I don't push with regard to diet, and he is slowly making changes. I just googled the Texas Roadhouse menu to see if they have sweet potatoes (they do) and I suggested going there soon so he can have his big steak. He just said we'll see. Normally he is all over a trip to Texas Roadhouse. Progress?

Well, I have been eating red potatoes as snacks this week instead of sweet potatoes. Earlier in my blog I noted that the two times after I ate red potatoes as a meal (24 oz steamer bags), I got very bloated and uncomfortable for the next few days. I've been trying them as snacks this week instead of a full meal, but I am still reacting badly to them. I may get some russets or yukon golds to see if I react to those too, or whether it's just the red potatoes. I am going to avoid the reds now, after I've seen repeated reactions to them. It's just not worth it, especially when the sweet potatoes agree with me so much. It's silly to make myself eat something that just doesn't work. I have sweet potatoes for this week once I finish my three bananas.

Today's nutrition will be -
B - 1/4 cup oats in Silk vanilla yogurt
L - Spicy White Bean Pita from the Quick and Easy Cookbook
S - Banana
D - the other pita from lunch (I only make two servings since it's just me eating them), banana
Last edited by Shmookitty on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shmookitty

Postby AnnetteW » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:59 am

Definitely don't eat something you know doesn't agree with you. But also just eating a much smaller amount and seeing if your body gets better accustomed to it is a good idea.

Your menu looks extremely light, is that really enough food?
AnnetteW

Postby Shmookitty » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:33 am

Trust me, it's enough. I make two servings of the spicy pita recipe - 2/3 cups kidney beans, 1 cup corn, one onion, 1/2 red pepper (the recipe doesn't call for this, I add it), one can of Rotel no-salt-added, 1/2 can tomato paste - I think that's all of it. It cooks up to a lot of food. I don't try to stuff the mixture in the pita anymore - it's too wet and breaks the bread - but I do tear up the pita in a bowl and add the chili on top. I just finished the first one and I am STUFFED. The other will be for dinner.

If I get hungry, I will just add some snap peas as a snack, no biggie. To be honest, I am just getting over my period and its increased hunger. I think I'm over that for this cycle though. I won't deprive myself if I'm hungry, I'm just careful about what I eat in addition to my planned food. I also have two yellow squashes to steam if necessary. I wasn't going to do that until tomorrow but they DO look mighty good!

edit: I did eat one more banana after dinner. Just getting over my period and was still hungry. Chris has mini pumpkin pies in the fridge, and pumpkin ice cream sandwiches in the freezer. Both looked very tempting, but I went for the banana and feel better for it.
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:58 am

Grateful that I didn't give in to the pumpkin temptations last night. It's not that I wanted the forbidden ingredients, just the pumpkin taste! I have seen some recipes for things like vegan pumpkin custard, but I don't have a food processor or even a decent blender. Haven't seen any recipes I can make. Will have to wait for these cravings to pass.

Got on the scale this morning - I have exactly maintained my weight for the past five days - 213.8. Now that my period is gone, I hope the scale starts moving down again. I was getting nervous when I was losing four pounds a week, so added a bit of extra food, but maybe I should go back to the way I was again to get the scale moving. I don't want to be stuck!

I'd always been told that losing more than two pounds a week is too fast. But then again, I'd always been told too many carbs is not good for you. McDougall has its own rules. I need to break out of my lifelong diet mentality, just enjoy the food, and let the scale take care of itself along the way! I can't help it, I'm trying to break some very ingrained habits like calorie counting and measuring, I've been doing it so long, I don't know how to NOT do it. I am still learning to relax around food. If that makes any sense at all.

In some ways, I am still learning to eat healthily. I was bulimic between the ages of 13 and 23 (I'm almost 49 now). I stopped purging and abusing laxatives, but I never really learned how to eat well, and I have never done a way of eating as simple as McDougall. I still used to binge as recently as this past February. I still get the urge to now, but I just don't give in to it. This WOE is so good for me in so many ways. But I need some patience as I learn to let go of old habits and misconceptions. It will take time.

It's never been so easy before. And that's a GOOD and refreshing change.

Today's planned nutrition -
B - 2 packets instant oatmeal with 1 tsp dried currants and cinnamon
L - Grain bowl - brown rice/kidney beans/corn/peas/greens/onions/peppers/sundried tomatoes
S - Sweet potatoes, steamed yellow squash
D - Whole wheat pasta with oil-free Hunt's sauce
Last edited by Shmookitty on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shmookitty

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Well, very impressive weight loss. I'd say you know what you are doing now and just keep doing it. Do you eat any leafy greens? My favorite are steamed broccoli or spinach, plus I'll add some chopped collards to my main dish. I like your grain bowls. They are similar to what I call 'stir fries', Jeff N's 'fast food' recipes. I tried on a new swim suit, 1 size smaller YAY! but definitely shows more weight to lose. Very motivating. I should try it on weekly. One thing that is so yummy and maybe a substitute for your pumpkin craving is to roast a sweet potato, and when done sprinkle the slices or quarters with cinnamon (not too much). It's so good. Good luck on getting the job. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Shmookitty » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:37 pm

Thank you Marsha! I will have to try that with the sweet potatoes. I rarely use the oven because the downstairs smoke detector in our rented townhouse is in the kitchen, and it's super sensitive. Bake over 350, and it goes off when you open the oven door. Use the broiler, forget it. The smoke detector WILL go off. It's not just us either, we hear the neighbors have it happen to them. We have a toaster oven we use when we want to broil something, which we rarely do. Pretty much the only things I did with the toaster oven was making smokies and melting cheese over bagels. Don't do either of those things anymore! I steam my sweet potatoes in microwave bags. I have become quite dependent on my sweet potatoes!

You are so close to your goal weight, I envy you! I'm sure you are harder on yourself in that swimsuit than any of us would be who saw you in it, with regard to seeing areas to improve. I understand completely though - motivation! And congrats on one size smaller! :-D

For leafy greens, I like the Fresh Express baby kale mix. I tear some up in my grain bowls. I call them grain bowls - they are starch based bowls where I throw everything in and mix it up - usually no sauces or anything, just the foods as they are. I have done sriracha or salsa before, but I most prefer them plain. I saw someone on here make a comment about no-salt-added canned beans being bland...I don't mind that at all.

I make up four grain bowls at a time, and then they're right there in the fridge so there are no excuses for eating non-compliant. I don't mind the food prep. I've never enjoyed cooking, but I find my McDougall food prep therapeutic somehow. I do enjoy that now. It's probably an element of control going back to my eating disorder days, but I am learning how to use that in a healthy way by providing optimal food for myself. I had a lot of therapy for my bulimia, but those primal urges are always there. You're right, I do know how to lose weight now...and I am doing it in the most healthy way since I started McDougall. Maybe in addition to healing my obesity, McDougalling will also heal those old eating disorder urges. That would be really nice.

edited to add - I am cooking an acorn squash in my steamer. As usual, it was ridiculously hard to cut in half. So that's all I cut - halves and then took out the seeds - and I put the halves face down and scheduled half an hour of cook time. Total experiment, hope it works. I won't eat it until tomorrow, but it will be there when I'm ready. Who knows, maybe I'll think outside the box and have it for breakfast if I won't be able to leave it alone until later in the day. I'll be out at my volunteer job until lunch (bringing a grain bowl) and then straight to my interview. Won't get home until at least 3 and I usually have my snack around 3:30. I hope it's good, I love acorn squash!
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:19 am

The acorn squash was DELISH! I need to buy another one this week!

The scale is still stuck at exactly 213.8. Six days now. I am getting nervous. I am starting to wonder if it's having brown rice instead of my usual barley. I have had it for the past few days as the basis for my grain bowls. Does anyone know if brown rice is a higher calorie density than barley? I eat one cup in my grain bowls for both grains (only one at a time, not together), the portion size is the same, but I don't know if the rice is a lot denser than the barley. It sticks together and seems to bind a lot. The barley is more free moving and doesn't do that.

I just did three days of meal prep yesterday but I think I am going to dump the brown rice bowls and make barley when I get home. Will have to make more sauteed (in water) onions and peppers, and open a new can of beans and can of corn. But I'd rather that than continue to be stuck. I am getting insecure about the scale not moving. :(

Heading out to my volunteer job in a few minutes, and then to my interview at the assisted living place at 2. Hoping I get along with the Controller as well as I did with the Accounting Manager and the other Accounting Assistant! My sister asked why I have to go back three times to interview with three different people, as opposed to doing one interview with a panel like people usually do. Can't answer that, I'm just grateful to be this far in the hiring process!

I almost prefer three trips to one panel, it's easier to focus on just one person than to keep trying to maintain eye contact with three. In this case, it's a small office with only four people (including the position I am interviewing for). I think they are being very careful to make the right decision. The office is actually a converted assisted living apartment, so the Controller is the only one who has an office, the other three workstations are in the "living room" and have little privacy, just separated from each other by file cabinets. It's important that we all get along well. I feel very good about how things are going.

Today's planned nutrition -
B - 1 steamed acorn squash
L - Grain bowl - brown rice/kidney beans/greens/peas/corn/onion/peppers
S- Snap peas
D - Grain bowl - brown rice/kidney beans/greens/peas/corn/onion/peppers
Last edited by Shmookitty on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shmookitty

Postby Mayapples » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:49 am

Cronometer tells me that dry barley is slightly more calorie dense than brown rice but cooked barley is a bit less, which suggests it soaks up more water and expands more when cooked. They're both in the same range, though, certainly not on a level of difference I would worry about too much. For whatever reason, I do always feel more full eating barley than rice -- maybe it continues to expand in the stomach, maybe it's the higher fiber content, maybe it's my imagination, I don't really know. I just find it more satisfying.

Good luck on your interview! It sounds promising.
Mayapples

Postby Shmookitty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Thank you for checking for me! I didn't have time to check it on the Sparkpeople nutrition tracker before I left the house this morning. I just did and the tracker said it's 218 calories for one cup of cooked long-grain brown rice and 360 calories for one cup of the organic barley I use. So that's a big difference, and not what I expected.

So pretty much I just need to get a grip and the scale will move again. I will not dump the brown rice. I have been fully compliant with SS. I just think back to commenting six days ago that I was afraid I might be losing too fast, and now I am upset because I am not losing fast enough. I need to make up my mind! :lol:

The interview went well for the most part. This person asked a lot harder questions than the other two and I think she was trying to trip me up. Luckily the Accounting Manager was in there too and I feel comfortable around her, so it was okay. I think I did well.

They aren't making a decision until at least the second week of December, so I have some time to wait. I'm so busy stewing about my weight, I won't have time left over to worry about the job. If it's meant to be, it will happen, otherwise something else will come up.
Shmookitty

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi Shmookitty,

I was alarmed when I read the calories for rice, until someone pointed out the calorie count is for uncooked rice. Or...in my case it was, though I think nowadays they print the calories of cooked rice. But you might check that. If brown rice is such and such calories for 1/4 c uncooked, it should be half or less for cooked, as rice doubles in volume when cooked.

It isn't a bad idea to keep the calorie density spectrum in mind, either. Grains are a little more dense than starchy vegs.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Shmookitty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Very true about calorie density. I am just learning about that since starting McDougall at the beginning of last month. Maybe I should decrease my grains servings and increase my starchy veggies in the same meal, and that will make a difference. I love potatoes/corn/peas/squash so I could easily just balance my grain bowls to a lower calorie density.

I just took some of the rice out of the three bowls I had left in the fridge. I already had a good amount of corn and peas so more was not needed. I will definitely not go hungry.

I just recently learned exactly how much uncooked rice expands when cooked! I put two cups of uncooked long-grain brown rice into my big dutch oven, and I got SO MUCH! I have never been a good judge of portions of either rice or pasta unless I measure them. I used to always make too much pasta, and I definitely made too much rice this last time! Next time I will only make one cup at a time.

I like sweet potatoes even better than barley (my favorite grain), so it won't be a hardship to eat more potatoes and starchy veggies.

I am now watching Jeff's calorie density video - should have watched it on day one.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment on my page. It must be hard to read when I am still so new at this WOE and still learning how to do it right. I'm sorry I am freaking out! :lol:
Shmookitty

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:55 pm

Just a heads up:
Barley, pearled, cooked - 560 cal/lb
Brown rice, cooked - 560 cal/lb

Enjoy!

(Edited to fix a typo)
Last edited by Lyndzie on Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals