Nomikins On the Path

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nomikins On the Path

Postby Anna Green » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:57 pm

Nomikins, you nailed it. This is a privilege, this way of eating. I think about the people I work with who are frequently very sick and who have little control over their food. The diabetics often have to eat pastries for breakfast or nothing. The conjestive heart failure folks are offered cold cuts on white bread and mayo for lunch. You get the picture. And they better be grateful because this is donated food! People look at me a little strange when I say we ought to try to get healthier food for them so they have a chance at pulling themselves up by their bootstraps. Anyway, I feel shame when I feel as if I'm missing something by eating my whole grains. [potatoes and veggies. Ridiculous. I am making corn and potato chowder, black bean burgers, broc and brown rice and coleslaw this weekend. I will be grateful and I will enjoy. Thanks for pointing out the truth.
Anna Green

Postby nomikins » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:14 am

Had a pretty darn good weekend. Made it through and didn't drink or go out to eat. Really, it wasn't an option because I didn't make it one.
DH and I got a lot done around the casa, got our storage unit a bit more organized and moved some more stuff from his dad's garage in preparation for the house sale. The good news is that the storage unit is only 5x10, and it's only half full. I got two metal shelving units from work that are no longer needed and everything is well organized now. Going vertical! I also culled through some of our Christmas stuff and will give our fake tree and some other goodies to a friend in need. Win-win.

Food-wise, we were caught unprepared. I should have packed a snack, and DH got very hungry. Fortunately, we were close enough to home that we made a pit stop and ate our soup. He ate 5 ryvita crackers - I had zero. I'm not concerned about him eating non MWL at all; he only has about 8-10 pounds to lose, fortunately. We just have to get his blood numbers and borderline high BP improved.

We are invited to a cocktail party this Friday - so Mad Men! However, I'm going to formally decline the invitation today. It would be a good idea to not be in that environment at this point. I know myself. Also, it will be better for more early rising and carpe diem, etc., on Saturday.

I have lots of food already made and am ready for another great week - as good as I make it.

OH! So, another part of our cleanup project is to go through 20 years of photos, cull out and pare down to good/interesting pics (I used to take 500+ photos on vacations back in the day, just to get 20 good pics). Well, OMG - I forgot how morbidly OBESE I was for a while! I am stunned. I am just glad I'm on the right path now and going in a good direction. Those photos don't lie. I think I'm going to keep some to remind myself of how important this lifestyle is. Just the little bit I have done makes a huge difference - heck, I look younger at 43 than I did at 30. What a waste to keep fighting the same battle all these years (a familiar refrain around here).

OK, have a great day, kids!
nomikins

Postby nomikins » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:43 am

Ugggg…. I had TERRIBLE insomnia last night. It happens once in a while when I get close to TOM. It’s going to be a long day.

The good news is: I’m a (cougar) granny! My stepdaughter gave birth to her first child yesterday, a little girl weighing in at seven pounds, point 4 ounces. Eighteen inches long. Mother, child and father are all doing well.
nomikins

Postby kirstykay » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 am

CONGRATULATIONS on the new grandbaby!!!!! HOW EXCITING!!!!!

I just noticed that you and I are the same age, and pretty much the same weight! I can't really imagine being a grandma yet, but actually, my oldest daughter is 21 and I had her when I was 22, so I really COULD be! :eek: WOW!!! What fun! Babies are SO wonderful!! Have fun with her...glad everyone is doing well!

I've enjoyed reading your posts. Your enthusiasm is contageous! And I appreciate your detailed food log and your easy-going attitude about all of it. Looking forward to reaching our goals...sooner than later!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Chile » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 am

Are you looking forward to pampering the little tykette?
Chile

Postby nomikins » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:18 am

Kirstykay, thanks for the nice words. I live by Abe Lincoln's words: "People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." My easy going attitude can be attributed to that. I refuse to live as a victim when life's circumstances come at me. I will never, ever have the woe is me attitude because I eat a candy bar or half a pizza after I drink four beers. I make my choices, and I live with them. It's up to me to decide if those choices help or harm me. It's best to go with the helpful choices, fo sho!

My stepdaughter is just about to turn 27. My DH is nine years older than me (but thanks to an overall healthy lifestyle and exercise, he does not look or act like a middle aged man).

Chile - YAY, you're back! I will visit your blog and comment again. With regard to pampering the little chickadee, her mother can do the diapering part. Spoil her, though? Of course! :nod:
nomikins

Postby Rosey » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 am

Congratz on the grand baby baby's are so precious.
Rosey

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:20 pm

congrats on the new little one!
Caroveggie

Postby nomikins » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:52 am

Cross posting from the Holiday Excursion thread:

Well, we went out to eat last night at one of our little fave spots in town. I had two 12 oz beers. I'm not upset, wringing my hands, or saying woe is me. No way. An excursion is a journey, and I'm on a journey. My weight is not up this morning, as I made better choices than usual. However, I'm not going to do this again for a week or longer. I'm making good, no great, progress to really EMBRACING the McD way again and it will include some adult beverages, just not the frequency or quantity as the "old days."

Here is what I used to order at the restaurant we ate at last night:
3 beers
fried conch fritters, served with some type of creamy dipping sauce
fried seafood basket with fries (sometimes subbing the fresh veggie for fries)
Then, walk to the co-op for a cream cheese frosted carrot cupcake

Here is what I had last night:
2 beers
dinner salad: romaine, carrots, onion, tomato, cuke
burritio, had them hold the dairy and just ate the innards, not the gigantic tortilla. It contained: mashed sweet potato, black beans, topped with spicy tomatillo salsa and about two tablespoons guac.
small side of fat free cabbage salad and a garnish of shredded romaine and chopped tomato
NO dessert

Let me tell you, the modification to exclude the dairy made it taste better than the extra 400 calories worth of cheese and sour cream! DH got the exact same as I did, but he was eating the tortilla.

Not ideal, but I celebrate regardless because it could have gone either way.

++++++++++++++++++++

I feel so good, now I really just want to get out and move more. My little running buddy, who I have not seen in quite awhile, asked me to do an 8K run with her on Thanksgiving Day. It's the first one we'll be in town for for years, so I think I'm going for it.
nomikins

Postby Chile » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:29 am

Woohoo! Always more fun to run, or walk, with somebody else. Hubby's doing a half-marathon this weekend here.
Chile

Postby fulenn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:18 pm

The burrito sounds great!

I just read through your journal and am sorry to hear how hard the past 2 months have been. Am glad to see you taking care of you now and doing so in such an enthusiastic way. :)

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Anna Green » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi! You do seem to be embracing this way of life in a real way. Good job on leaving the fried seafood and such alone.

I wanted to tell you that when I ran tonight it was easier and I enjoyed it more. I love that. Thanks for your encouragement when I first started. It has helped.
Anna Green

Postby nomikins » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:33 am

Hi Anna! Glad at least one of us is running. I'm getting there, I swear. Still doing lots of organization/planning, etc., to get ready to sell FIL's house, as well as planning a move of our own. Still trying to carve time for me. I am at least getting out and walking a bit and also swinging my 25# kettlebell 20 swings at a time. Gets the old core firm again in no time! :nod:
nomikins

Postby nomikins » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:57 am

I had a very successful dinner out last night (we went to see Todd Rundgren play - old dudes still can rock, lol).

The diner has a nice vegetable plate, but they didn't have the same McD compliant veggies at this location (there are two of these places in the area). So, instead of worrying about it, I decided to get a salad and a side of black beans to dump on said salad. I ended up with a Greek salad (hold the feta and dressing), which contained romaine, tomatoes, onion, kalamata olives (i'm guessing 8-10 olives),and some pepperocinni peppers. It was fine, and I didn't starve nor need to eat when we got home. However, it was salty! I am a little puffy this morning, but I'll get that extra water flushed out in no time.

I'm planning some non MWL food tomorrow. DH and I will be doing our usual manual labor Saturday and will be HUNGRY!
nomikins

Postby Chile » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:44 am

Luckily I don't like kalamata olives so mine from the Greek restaurant Tuesday night went to someone else. :D Along with drinking plenty of water, I find a hot bath helps flush out those salts.

I hear ya on getting hungry with weekend labor! And hubby's running a half-marathon, too, so my guess is we'll hit up Lovin' Spoonfuls for breakfast afterwards. That means pancakes made with some oil but still vegan.
Chile

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals