Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Postby fulenn » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:12 pm

My oldest daughter made the BEST fajitas the night before last. Margarita Fajitas. Soo good! You can make them, too...

6-8 portabella mushrooms, sliced 1/2" wide
2 large yellow onions, sliced
2 red bell peppers, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
juice of 3 limes
1/2 cup orange liquor
1/4 cup tequila
1 rounded teaspoon chopped garlic
salt & pepper to taste at table

Heat a cast iron skillet--very hot. Add vegetables and stir fry until slight blackened spots appear. Then add the liquids and garlic and keep stirring. Let it cook down. Serve on homemade tortillas and eat. I like blue corn tortillas the best.

It is truly amazing and will have your taste buds loving you!

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby f1jim » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Great to have you posting!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby fulenn » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:25 pm

f1jim wrote:Great to have you posting!
f1jim

Thanks, Jim! I am going more than a little bit crazy down here. Not sure what I was thinking when I went back to school; it really is taking up most of my out-of-work time. But I am in a fast-paced program and will be finished in 10.5 more months. It is already proving beneficial to my job with all of the new information and having so many classmates in the same profession as I am in.

It definitely helps having my children cook, especially when they do something like the fajitas from my last post. I realized just how much alcohol was in it when I was typing it--not sure I would recommend that as a nightly amount to cook with. I will have to get her to play around with it a bit. I don't know why the orange liquor couldn't be replaced with freshly squeezed orange juice.

I have returned to a lot of my more simple recipes with my busy schedule. I have been cooking using Donna Klein's Mediterranean Kitchen and from The New McDougall Cookbook--simple, fast, and inexpensive recipes. Still eating a lot of oatmeal breakfasts and baked potato dinners.

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:54 pm

A couple of years ago, I met Anne Esselstyn at a potluck hosted by her son, Rip, and by Whole Foods, in Austin. Mrs. Esselstyn brought an appetizer of boiled baby potato halves topped with a swirl of homemade hummus. I went and bought her cookbook once I realized that she was the author, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook. It was the right choice. I made the Smoky, Oat, Bean Burgers and they are wonderful!

I just put a LOT of dijon mustard on this, used a piece of 100% whole wheat bread instead of a bun, and served some dill pickle spears with it. So good!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby RobinD » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:57 pm

fulenn wrote:My oldest daughter made the BEST fajitas the night before last. Margarita Fajitas. Soo good! You can make them, too...

6-8 portabella mushrooms, sliced 1/2" wide
2 large yellow onions, sliced
2 red bell peppers, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
juice of 3 limes
1/2 cup orange liquor
1/4 cup tequila
1 rounded teaspoon chopped garlic
salt & pepper to taste at table

Heat a cast iron skillet--very hot. Add vegetables and stir fry until slight blackened spots appear. Then add the liquids and garlic and keep stirring. Let it cook down. Serve on homemade tortillas and eat. I like blue corn tortillas the best.

This sounds terrific - I will definitely try it. Thanks for sharing!
"Our greatest fear... should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." Francis Chan

RobinD

Postby fulenn » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Last night I made a tomato-onion sauce for our whole wheat pasta. The recipe is on my blog at the link under my name. This is my remake of a sauce that I used to make with bacon. This new one is even better than the original!
For no reason at all, here is a picture of my lunch today:

Happy Saturday!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:01 pm

Robin,

Welcome to the the McDougall boards! I think you will love it here, I know that I do.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby RobinD » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:02 pm

fulenn wrote:Tonight I made a recipe that I found on avirtualvegan.com that came from Lani Muelrath's new book, The Plant-Based Journey. It is Portobello Pot Roast. It is soooo very yummy! My stomach and mouth are so happy now!

Oh yummm! I just got the book, and now I am especially glad that I did.

Thank you for the welcome! I've really enjoyed reading your journal and cheer for the health you are experiencing as a result of the changes you've made. I liked what you said about not wasting a second chance. And congrats on becoming a grandmother, though you absolutely do NOT look old enough to be one!

Best wishes with your schooling. I think it is a little tougher in some ways to be one of the "older" students, but in many other ways I think we appreciate the experience more. Yay on the 4.0!
"Our greatest fear... should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." Francis Chan

RobinD

Postby fulenn » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Robin, thank you for reading my journal! I am glad you found something worth noting. I cannot believe I am a grandmother yet, either, but I sure am having fun playing with that happy baby. :D :cool:

Here is my dinner from tonight. My daughter fixed it. I continue to be grateful that my children and husband joined me, at least at home, with eating this way. It is awesome to not be the only cook who fixes healthy food!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:32 pm

Hello All!

I am past the half-way point in school! Classes are going smoothly and I am looking forward to walking in graduation this coming spring.

We are leaving on the longest vacation we have taken since our honeymoon. We are heading to Yellowstone and Montana for a week of camping with two of our children and our grandson, followed by a week in Colorado with family and friends. The tent has been up in the backyard this week (still waterproof), two of our sleeping bags have been replaced, and my oldest daughter and I will be packing food for the drive up there sometime tomorrow. We will be taking citrus orzo salad, Mary's Confetti salad, green grapes, carrot sticks, hummus, cold baked potatoes, cold sweet potatoes, and cooked kale. I think this should do it for us.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:33 am

Just crossed into New Mexico. Eating green grapes. Life is good! The stars are fabulous tonight--no light polution out here.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby Daydream » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:14 pm

fulenn wrote:Last night I made a tomato-onion sauce for our whole wheat pasta.

Fulenn

Hi Fulenn! I want to try your Tomato-Onion sauce for whole wheat pasta. What brand of "vegetable bullion cube" do you use for this recipe and where do you buy it? Thanks for sharing your recipes!
Daydream

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi fuelenn:

Dropped in to say I am back and to catch up on your journal. So happy to know that you are getting a great trip in and that you are a happy grandparent now! Wow! So glad it continues to go well for you and that you have seemingly just flat stopped the progression of your MS.

Thanks to global warming we are getting many summer days over 100 here in the SF Bay Area, not that we want to compete with your Texas summers! This was unheard of when I grew up here. So no AC in the old family home. On several of those hot days I thought of you and how glad I am that you have the over heating of your MS under control. That is such a big deal - it all is of course, but I have a visual of my friend with MS at my old pool having to get out early from our aerobics class because she was over heating half-way through. It's just wonderful to me that you conquered that and so much more :)

Know you are having fun with your family and summer - take care - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby fulenn » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:41 pm

I am very tired tonight. So I have russet potatoes in the pressure cooker and leftover chili in the refrigerator. All I have to do is put the potatoes in a very hot oven for about 20 minutes, spoon chili on top, and dinner is ready!

I threw a large piece of yucca in as well. That is one delicious smelling starch!

Hope everyone is doing well. I only have 4 classes left until graduation, well, I am in one of them right now.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:16 pm

All finished--so good!

Fulenn

fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals